AMCAS doesn't go out until June 29th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCSB6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this true for 2012-2013 applicants? Does this mean that no matter when you are complete from June 1 - June 29, your applications will ship out on that day?

Members don't see this ad.

That's about 10 days later than last year, so it's not a huge change. All verified applications will ship on on that day, yes. I'll bet that by mid-June there will be a 7-14 day wait to get verified. Submitting at the very beginning of June usually gets you verified in a week or less. Those submitting by mid-to-late-July might be looking at a month to be verified. See the 2011-2012 AMCAS verification thread.

Verified = AMCAS employee sits down and cross-checks your official transcripts with what you reported by hand. So they must have your transcripts before they begin to verify. Have you school send your transcripts a couple weeks before you plan to submit your app.

I was a bit neurotic and had my app completed by mid-May and submitted, literally, at 12:01 AM on 6/1. Mostly I was just really excited to finally be *doing* something about my application, instead of just sitting around talking about it. Looking back I realize how ridiculous that was. For the vast majority of schools it won't make one bit of difference as long as they've received your app from AMCAS and you've submitted their secondary by the end of July. I've heard from people affiliated with multiple schools that the ADCOMS at their schools don't even meet for the first time to review completed apps until late July or early August, at the earliest.

What Morzh said is true, but just know that they will receive and review your application in the order it was received. The earlier you submit the better, but don't sacrifice the quality of your application just to ensure it is submitted early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this true for 2012-2013 applicants? Does this mean that no matter when you are complete from June 1 - June 29, your applications will ship out on that day?

On the bottom right of this page it says AMCAS will not open until June 5th for submissions this year, but I am not sure where you are getting the June 29th date - can you post a link? That may be about right thought since the submission date is pushed back this year.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/

Thanks!

On the bottom right of this page it says AMCAS will not open until June 5th for submissions this year, but I am not sure where you are getting the June 29th date - can you post a link? That may be about right thought since the submission date is pushed back this year.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/

Thanks!

https://www.aamc.org/.../amcaswebinar2013applicationchanges.pptx

Go to the 7th page of the powerpoint. It says initial submission to schools will be June 29th but that these dates are also subject to change. I doubt they will change by much though if at all.

your link's broken :(

https://www.aamc.org/students/advisors/amcasresources/

Second link on that page.

2h85ond.png

This is great. I know I am just a neurotic pre-med :laugh:, but I am no longer worried about taking my MCAT on May 24 w/ a June 26 release date as now I will get in on the first batch release w/ everything complete :D

That's about 10 days later than last year, so it's not a huge change. All verified applications will ship on on that day, yes. I'll bet that by mid-June there will be a 7-14 day wait to get verified. Submitting at the very beginning of June usually gets you verified in a week or less. Those submitting by mid-to-late-July might be looking at a month to be verified. See the 2011-2012 AMCAS verification thread.

Verified = AMCAS employee sits down and cross-checks your official transcripts with what you reported by hand. So they must have your transcripts before they begin to verify. Have you school send your transcripts a couple weeks before you plan to submit your app.

I was a bit neurotic and had my app completed by mid-May and submitted, literally, at 12:01 AM on 6/1. Mostly I was just really excited to finally be *doing* something about my application, instead of just sitting around talking about it. Looking back I realize how ridiculous that was. For the vast majority of schools it won't make one bit of difference as long as they've received your app from AMCAS and you've submitted their secondary by the end of July. I've heard from people affiliated with multiple schools that the ADCOMS at their schools don't even meet for the first time to review completed apps until late July or early August, at the earliest.

So what if you are going through your school's committee? My school starts reviewing committee materials in May and doesn't get them out until mid-June, earliest! Does anyone have experience with this? I am pretty much required to go through committee, but isn't this a serious disservice if I end up not getting verified for a month after materials are in? Can I send my application on the first day it is available, send my transcripts on my own and then have the committee get their materials in by mid-June?

Other thoughts on this are really appreciated!

So what if you are going through your school's committee? My school starts reviewing committee materials in May and doesn't get them out until mid-June, earliest! Does anyone have experience with this? I am pretty much required to go through committee, but isn't this a serious disservice if I end up not getting verified for a month after materials are in? Can I send my application on the first day it is available, send my transcripts on my own and then have the committee get their materials in by mid-June?

Isn't the committee for LORs? If I am not mistaken you can have your application submitted/verified without having your LORs in.

The point of a committee is just to get a committee letter of rec. You can still submit your app + transcripts before. AMCAS will verify that and send it on to schools. Once your LOR is ready and sent to AMCAS it will be forwarded to the schools. Individual school adcoms can still review you, and perhaps even interview you, without LORs. Probably not without an MCAT though. Just do what you have control over as best you can and as timely as you can.

Does this mean secondaries won't be released until after june 29th as well?

Yeah. My app was in and verified over 2 weeks before AMCAS released them. I had nothing to do for those 2 weeks. I got a couple of secondaries right away the day AMCAS released, but the bulk came in gradually during July. I think one or two even waited until really late July or early August.

For a few schools you don't have to get invited to do a secondary. Anyone can go on their website, register using their name and AMCAS ID, and submit their secondary. So for these you could technically have your secondary submitted before they have your AMCAS. I wouldn't recommend that, though.. more likely to get lost in their system. For these schools just pre-write your secondary essay and wait until after 6/29 to actually submit it.

Secondaries really suck.

Yeah. My app was in and verified over 2 weeks before AMCAS released them. I had nothing to do for those 2 weeks. I got a couple of secondaries right away the day AMCAS released, but the bulk came in gradually during July. I think one or two even waited until really late July or early August.

For a few schools you don't have to get invited to do a secondary. Anyone can go on their website, register using their name and AMCAS ID, and submit their secondary. So for these you could technically have your secondary submitted before they have your AMCAS. I wouldn't recommend that, though.. more likely to get lost in their system. For these schools just pre-write your secondary essay and wait until after 6/29 to actually submit it.

Secondaries really suck.
Yeah, like you said, I wouldn't do that. Didn't Einstein reject applicants who submitted the secondary prior to receiving notification last year?