Amcas gpa for college classes taken in high school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mavric1298

Long live snugseal
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So even my premed advisor is a bit confused about this so; while in high school I took some classes at the local CC. Long story short, I'm trying to figure out if these credits will affect my gpa, and how im going to assign everything. Two things from aamc:

“AMCAS does not review and/or calculate grades that applicants have from K-12. AMCAS does require applicants to list all Postsecondary courses that they took while in High School such as Dual Enrollment at a local college, any community college courses, Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses. AMCAS will interpret whether a High School GPA should be calculated depending on when credit was received and/or reported on the applicant’s transcript.”

· Assign High School (HS) status to college-level courses taken prior to the high school graduation date you entered in the Schools Attended section, regardless of the physical location of the college-level course. This does not include AP, Exempt, or CLEP credit.

Now another small intricacy is that I never graduated from high school. I actually got a GED (I was ski racing full time) and then started classes at a different CC.

So thoughts on if they count or not? Seems muddled and like they say they do but also that they don't.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not moddles at all. If it's a college class, it gets entered.

Well both our advisors seemed to think that's not the case based on;

AMCAS does not review and/or calculate grades that applicants have from K-12

Assign High School (HS) status to college-level courses taken prior to the high school graduation date you entered

AMCAS will interpret whether a High School GPA should be calculated depending on when credit was received

Members don't see this ad :)
Well both our advisors seemed to think that's not the case based on;

AMCAS does not review and/or calculate grades that applicants have from K-12

Assign High School (HS) status to college-level courses taken prior to the high school graduation date you entered

AMCAS will interpret whether a High School GPA should be calculated depending on when credit was received
Amcas decides because you have to enter it, this isn't hard

Reactions: 1 user
Right, I didn't have any question as to whether you enter them or not, I was more curious as to the grading "decision" they make and also the which line to designate then under. They were taken while I was in H/S prior to "graduation" and/or GED date, so I think it's reasonable to list them as such per referenced instruction above.

It was more a question that when getting my stuff together my premed advisor indicated the above and I wasn't sure how accurate the info was - we were compiling a school list to apply to, so a rough amcas gpa is helpful, and this swings things a small amount so it was worth asking on here. I've been around the block enough to know that every course ever taken gets put on the app, etc, it was just an intricacy my premed advisor seemed to have a different reading then I did as far as classes designated HS and gpa.

gpam.jpg

^ This is how your grades would be displayed on AMCAS after you enter all of them, assign a year, and AMCAS calculates your gpas.
I think (and you know, you could actually call AMCAS to verify this) what you should do is enter all the CC classes you took prior to your GED date, or prior to starting to actually work towards a college degree (whichever came first), and mark them as "High School". Those grades would then be calculated separately in the High school row.
Everything else should go in the appropriate undergrad slot.

But yes, while AMCAS doesn't care about your high school courses taken at your high school, all classes taken at colleges must be entered. So you'll most likely end up having numbers listed in the HS slots, unlike a lot of us. Whether anyone will actually pay attention to any of those numbers is a different question, and not one I can answer. I think it's probably unlikely though.

Find a new advisor. It's clear that it counts.