AMCAS GPA Unaccredited Nursing School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorbob23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone i just have a question thats really driving me crazy to know the answer but I can't seem to find a definitive answer on SDN or anywhere online.

Im a non-trad and attended an unaccredited nursing school and got straight A's for 2 years there. Even though they were technical unaccredited courses I did get loans from the federal department of education and was able to sit for boards and become a licensed RN.

Yes there are transcripts available and I have about 60 credits with them but non of those transferred to my university where I did my pre-reqs and got my bachelors later on when i decided to do medicine.

Do you think these grades will be calculated into my AMCAS GPA calculation? (which i deeply hope) . I know I have to send the transcripts which I will, but then theres a gray area where they don't really say what they're going to do with it.

Has anyone applied before in this same situation or know anyone who got unaccredited credits calculated into their GPA?

Thanks any help is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth, a student in my med school attended undergrad at an institution which was not accredited at the time he applied to med school. I imagine he included all of these college credits in his AMCAS GPA.

The AMCAS is not clear on this as below states post-secondary but does not indicate specifically college or accreditation (though schools will list both of those).
You apparently earned an RN certificate (as opposed to other nursing certification) which schools would likely want to hear yet none of those courses will likely fulfill BCPM. I would suggest you have to contact AMCAS and get a definitive answer (insist they have an answer in writing or email and request it to be researched). The risk is you submit this this with the grades and then it gets sent back to you as unacceptable, requiring resubmission. PM to discuss further

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p35)When entering coursework, you must include information and corresponding grades for
every course in which you have ever enrolled at any U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian
post secondary institution, regardless of whether credit was earned.

I forgot to mention this they actually awarded me a degree. Why do you think it may get delayed?

Its called the associate of science in nursing. It know its not science, but I already did all my sciences and prereqs at my university. This is just something i have from long ago before i decided to do medicine. But if 2 years worth of A's is calculated into the total gpa it will bump it up substantially.

Last edited: