AMCAs- not declaring future mcat date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahhssha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! new here so hopefully i'm doing this right. The thread subject is basically my question. I took the MCAT in March of 2014 and plan on submitting my application this June. I would like to take the MCAT again to get a higher score and I plan on taking it in October. However, I do not want my October MCAT to be taken into account in my current application because I know schools will put my app on the back burner until they receive a new score. Is it ok to not put in my application that i'm taking it again in October?

The whole point of this is to submit my application as early as possible and raise my chances of getting accepted. BUT at the same time ensuring that if I don't get in, I retake the MCAT to raise my score for next year's application cycle without having to take next year's crazy MCAT.

Any advice would get greatly appreciated! This whole process is very nerve-racking.

Members don't see this ad.

If you take the mcat in October, you won't have the score until November. Many schools are done or near done with deciding who to invite for interviews by then. Your plan is basically shooting yourself in the foot and setting yourself up for a failed application cycle. Study and take the MCAT when you're ready and do not apply this cycle.

So there's no way to not let schools know i'm taking it again in october? once I register for the MCAT that's it, they already know?

Members don't see this ad :)
So there's no way to not let schools know i'm taking it again in october? once I register for the MCAT that's it, they already know?
You can, but what good is it if you get a 40 but the schools are either all out of interview slots to give out, or only have like 100 out of 1000 originally? Your odds of getting an interview are immensely lower if you wait to have your file looked at until you get your MCAT back in November.

He/she said they were considering taking the October MCAT in case this cycle is unsuccessful and has a higher score for next year's cycle, without having to take the new MCAT. Decent idea to cover your bases (though taking the MCAT when you're not sure if you need to sounds miserable), and OP no idea if your plan would work or not.

He/she said they were considering taking the October MCAT in case this cycle is unsuccessful and has a higher score for next year's cycle, without having to take the new MCAT. Decent idea to cover your bases (though taking the MCAT when you're not sure if you need to sounds miserable), and OP no idea if your plan would work or not.

thank you, wallacex205, I wasn't sure if I was getting my point across. I'm just trying to be strategic and insure I keep improving even if I don't get in this cycle. Do you know if on AMCAS you have to declare a future MCAT date?

If that's the case, why not just take the MCAT next year in like March? You could be accepted and just not have to take it. Why waste money and time taking the MCAT again if you don't have to?

If that's the case, why not just take the MCAT next year in like March? You could be accepted and just not have to take it. Why waste money and time taking the MCAT again if you don't have to?

I'm trying to avoid the 2015 MCAT as much as possible. I do not have a psychology background at all and if I want a higher MCAT score the 2014 format is my best bet.

Sorry misread previously. Is your feeling to need to retake well-based (as in you scored low and you are sure you can score much better the second time) or is it just a typical premed response to being nervous about their application? It is fine to retake, just don't list to schools that you are planning on taking a future mcat (so they won't hold off on your app). But if it is the case that your initial mcat is low, it may be smarter to just not apply this year so you don't have to be a reapplicant next year and be expected to have made major improvements to your app within the year.

MCAT 29, my PS score is holding me back. I know if I had more time I could do somewhat better, but maybe not a huge improvement. Would being a reapplicant really be so bad? I'm currently getting my CMA certification and will start working for Planned Parenthood this Fall. There would definitely be some changes to my app if I had to apply again.

I understand the whole "premed nervousness" thing. I think that's why I'm pushing myself to apply this cycle, just to get my feet wet and put myself out there. It's pretty much nature at this point to assume your stats aren't good enough, especially after looking at SDN. But at the same time, I have friends and acquaintances who have gotten in with a 29. If it doesn't pan out, then I'll regroup, improve, and try again.