AMCAS photo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you upload a picture of yourself in the primary application? I heard that med schools require a headshot to be sent in. Did you guys do a professional headshot?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Most secondary applications require a headshot. Not the AMCAS primary.

You don't have to spend money on it, unless you really want to. Use an ironed shirt/professional upper attire, and a neutral background (just maybe not a white wall, since it looks so drab), and have your friend/parents/dog take some pictures of you, and pick the best. Just don't use a mirror selfie lol

Photoshop out any blemishes/whiten teeth for best results ;P

Reactions: 1 user
Primary, no, but many secondaries do ask for a picture.

Make sure to demonstrate your dedication to the field like so.

RubberGloveDr_3.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most secondary applications require a headshot. Not the AMCAS primary.

You don't have to spend money on it, unless you really want to. Use an ironed shirt/professional upper attire, and a neutral background (just maybe not a white wall, since it looks so drab), and have your friend/parents/dog take some pictures of you, and pick the best. Just don't use a mirror selfie lol

Photoshop out any blemishes/whiten teeth for best results ;P
Thanks! Yeah no--no mirror selfies haha.

Thanks for the tips! How do you photoshop out blemishes/whiten teeth/smooth over face? What software would you use? I've never used photoshop before..

Thanks for the tips! How do you photoshop out blemishes/whiten teeth/smooth over face? What software would you use? I've never used photoshop before..

dayum you gonna do it for real?

Adobe Photoshop breh. You can usually get it through ur university. I think even smartphones have the blend/spot removal tool.

Reactions: 1 users
dayum you gonna do it for real?

Adobe Photoshop breh. You can usually get it through ur university. I think even smartphones have the blend/spot removal tool.
Prolly not. I was just curious as to what software is best for beginners since I've kind of been interested in photoshop techniques

^photoshop techniques imply you are using the photoshop software

That being said, I wouldn't recommend it. They probably don't do much more than glance at the picture, but amateur photoshop typically looks pretty bad/obvious

Prolly not. I was just curious as to what software is best for beginners since I've kind of been interested in photoshop techniques

Photoshop/image manipulation is really useful to know, but don't practice on your headshot for med school lmao. If you don't have access through uni, you can use GIMP (www.gimp.org)

Protip: you don't have to wear pants when you get your headshot taken.

Reactions: 5 users
I strongly suggest staying away from any photoshop smoothing effects...it usually is very obvious and terrible when done by amateurs, kinda like those selfie filters. Plus, even if done well, it would only make a marginal difference in your attractiveness, which itself is a marginal-to-irrelevant factor in your application. Don't risk becoming the joke of the room.