AMCAS print as PDF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oranges2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else's print as PDF not working?

Also - is the print as HTML screen the same screen as PDF? I'm looking at HTML right now (since my PDF is not working) and it's deleting paragraph breaks in my personal state so it looks like one giant paragraph......

Members don't see this ad.

mine is not working on my comp either, continually says initializing. works on another person's though.

html cuts spaces, PDF doesn't, from what I can see.

mine's putting in random spaces and the pdf works sporadically. when it does work though, the pdf doesn't show the glitches that occur on the html version.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, should we go by how it looks like on the pdf print out? My HTML one has messed up spacing as well

Yes html adds random spaces, .pdf is quirky. I just made sure it was correct in the essay section.

okay so i don't need to worry that my HTML PS looks funny?

PDF has yet to work for me grrrr

Ok I just got the PDF to work. The HTML shows my personal statement as a giant wall of text. The PDF shows separated paragraphs in my personal statement. I hope adcoms see a PDF!

Reactions: 1 user
Ok I just got the PDF to work. The HTML shows my personal statement as a giant wall of text. The PDF shows separated paragraphs in my personal statement. I hope adcoms see a PDF!

Omg I just got it to work too!!! AMCAS finally decides to fix the bug morning of....although it's still a bit wonky.

I believe adcoms see the PDF version, not the HTML.

It's not a bug. The system is being overloaded with everyone trying to submit first day.

Still not working me... anyone else have any luck?

This makes me feel better, I thought I had royally screwed up. But now that I think about it, Heisenberg is right. I'm a reapplicant and did my PS formatting the exact same way last time and I saw the adcom's copies with my own eyes (twice!) and the formatting was fine. So they definitely do see the PDF version and not the bad spacing of the HTML. We're good guys.

Not working for me. But I know with certainty that the adcomms will look at the PDF version, not the html version. It would be nice to get a PDF file before submitting though :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha we're all goin a little cray but thank goodness it'll be over soon (if not submitted already!)

@pinego it worked for me once and I was able to see that my paragraph breaks were not messed up! But it stopped working again... if it shows up correctly in your AMCAS application I would have faith that it shows up correctly on the PDF. Just try again sporadically throughout the day.

Not working for me. But I know with certainty that the adcomms will look at the PDF version, not the html version. It would be nice to get a PDF file before submitting though :/
It shows up exactly as you type it into the text box. Now, if you copy from MS Word, wonky things might happen with the conversion to plain text. Look up "paste & copy formatting" if you're concerned about this. Otherwise, no problem.

Yep, it must be the servers freezing. That's okay, guess I'll wait a few hours!

Okay so... I just submitted and when I went to look at my W&A section..... my most meaningful blurbs (many have multiple paragraphs) lost their spacing on the actual website (not PDF or HTML version)....and in its place there are random characters likes /*&;. When I printed as PDF before (this morning), I had no issue! HTML doesn't produce these random characters either (just eliminates spacing)! I just wish the print PDF works so I can qualm my nerves......this is so stressful....

My LOR request forms won't generate either, guess the servers are being max'd out

Okay so... I just submitted and when I went to look at my W&A section..... my most meaningful blurbs (many have multiple paragraphs) lost their spacing on the actual website (not PDF or HTML version)....and in its place there are random characters likes /*&;. When I printed as PDF before (this morning), I had no issue! HTML doesn't produce these random characters either (just eliminates spacing)! I just wish the print PDF works so I can qualm my nerves......this is so stressful....

Oh wow you're right, it does that for my responses as well in the places where I had block paragraphs. Fingers crossed that the PDF isn't like this. On a lighter note, as I reply to your post, it looks like an orange and a mango are talking to each other

@pinego ahhh! okay im glad im not the only one!!! haha.........
and yes lolol it does look like that doesn't it... hahah good comic relief:woot:. Except are you a pineapple and mango hybrid?:ninja:

@pinego ahhh! okay im glad im not the only one!!! haha.........
and yes lolol it does look like that doesn't it... hahah good comic relief:woot:. Except are you a pineapple and mango hybrid?:ninja:

Haha yes I am, my two favorite fruits :nod:

Oh wow you're right, it does that for my responses as well in the places where I had block paragraphs. Fingers crossed that the PDF isn't like this. On a lighter note, as I reply to your post, it looks like an orange and a mango are talking to each other
That is what happens when you copy from MS Word. The HTML coding shows a paragraph return as original code. If you typed directly in the box, you wouldn't have the issue.

That is what happens when you copy from MS Word. The HTML coding shows a paragraph return as original code. If you typed directly in the box, you wouldn't have the issue.

going back to the 80's

.txt style

Yep, it must be the servers freezing. That's okay, guess I'll wait a few hours!

I'm glad you're a premed and not in CS/IT because this thing has always been broken.

Finally got the pdf file to upload and everything looks fine. Even the PS which I copy and pasted from MS Word.

I'm glad you're a premed and not in CS/IT because this thing has always been broken.
By broken...you mean unable to handle tens of thousands of people using it at the same time? Few servers can do that and you'd be surprised at the budget that it takes to build an infrastructure like that, even with AAMC's revenue stream. The system works pretty damn well with the restrictions.

By broken...you mean unable to handle tens of thousands of people using it at the same time? Few servers can do that and you'd be surprised at the budget that it takes to build an infrastructure like that, even with AAMC's revenue stream. The system works pretty damn well with the restrictions.
Yeah. I was fully expecting random crashes and sporadic periods of my being unable to log in. No problems except for generating that elusive PDF file.

Yeah, so I called AMCAS regarding W&A showing up weirdly and the lady said it looked fine from their end..woohoo!

Dude it's been broken even when no one's been using it. Ask any 3 time applicant. Even when no one uses it it's glitchy. It's called bad coding and there's no excuse for it. It's like how UCSD's secondary application is hilariously broken the same way each year. Nobody is willing to step up and take responsibility for the shodding coding and fix **** up.

Last edited:
Dude it's been broken even when no one's been using it. Ask any 3 time applicant. Even when no one uses it it's glitchy. It's called bad coding and there's no excuse for it. It's like how UCSD's secondary application is hilariously broken the same way each year. Nobody is willing to step up and take responsibility for the shodding coding and fix **** up.
:shrug: Besides the PDF generation, I haven't come across any bugs. Having HTML code show up after copying and pasting isn't a bug.

I've worked as a student tech and maybe 75% of the time, website "bugs" are actually just user fails.

I am sorry if this is resurrecting an old thread, but I am quite worried about the same problems these past premeds were having.

My printed out .pdf of my app has no errors. However, my app when printed as an HTML document has random % ^ or & symbols dispersed throughout my essay and my work/activities sections.

ADCOMS: Have you had this shown or affect an application? I printed and reprinted my application over 20 times to make sure there were no errors, and now because of poor HTML formatting, it looks like I was wasted when I submitted the thing.

I am sorry if this is resurrecting an old thread, but I am quite worried about the same problems these past premeds were having.

My printed out .pdf of my app has no errors. However, my app when printed as an HTML document has random % ^ or & symbols dispersed throughout my essay and my work/activities sections.

ADCOMS: Have you had this shown or affect an application? I printed and reprinted my application over 20 times to make sure there were no errors, and now because of poor HTML formatting, it looks like I was wasted when I submitted the thing.

They see it as PDF, not HTML

Sorry to bring this up again, but I have the same formatting errors. I'm concerned as well because when I called amcas they said that how a school views the apps is entirely dependent on that particular school (i.e they have multiple ways of looking at apps). :/

Sorry to bring this up again, but I have the same formatting errors. I'm concerned as well because when I called amcas they said that how a school views the apps is entirely dependent on that particular school (i.e they have multiple ways of looking at apps). :/
Be sure you are going to the Main Menu>Print>PDF view. Don't look at HTML or the Summary view.