AMCAS School Selection / MCAT Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_noob

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting on SDN. I had a quick question about selecting schools with an absent MCAT score. I had submitted my primary AMCAS a while back and it just got verified on Friday (7/18). I took the MCAT (for the first time) on July 2nd, and still have about 2 weeks before I get my score back. I had only indicated one school on my primary. My question is whether I should select all of my schools on the AMCAS right now or wait till I get my MCAT score back. I did well (35-36 average) on all of the AAMC Practice Tests, but I feel really unsure about the actual MCAT (especially the Physical Sciences) which mimics what everyone felt on the 7/2/14 MCAT thread of SDN. If I don't do well on the MCAT (say below 30) would retaking the MCAT in mid to late August be detrimental to my application? For example if I have already submitted my primary to all of my indicated schools, would they even look at my new MCAT score when it comes or would they base judgment of my application from my first MCAT score (in terms of sending secondaries, etc.). Right now, this is a very theoretical question. But what is the next step that I should do? Should I just indicate all of my schools right now, and cash in on the two weeks before I get my MCAT score, or wait it out? Any thoughts? Thanks for looking!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you verified? If you're not, there's really no point in adding the rest of the schools now. Even if you're already verified, another 2 weeks won't make a huge difference. Based on your practice scores I'd say you're fine, but if you really want to play it safe and wait until you get your score, you wouldn't be that late if you wait. Just pre-write your secondaries while you wait.

Keep in mind that if you do indicate all your schools now and decide not to apply this year, you will be considered a re-applicant at all those schools next year.

If you indicate a future MCAT date (say, in August), most schools will hold off on considering you complete until they receive that score. If you do get a <30 score in 2 weeks, do you really think you'll be prepared to take it again in August? Considering 2 weeks from now is already the 1st week of August, you wouldn't have that much time.

Basically, if I were you, I would wait it out and pre-write my secondaries.

I have just been recently verified. I have continued my MCAT studying since July 2nd, albeit with less fervor, so I think I could be prepared to take it in August. Thank you for your advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think you did OK after 34+ average on practice FLs, designate a few more on the lower end of your school list.

So I'm adding that I got an MCAT score of 32 PS 11, V 11, BS 10. I'm a bit disappointed in the overall score but especially disappointed in the 10 for Biological Sciences. While taking practice tests, I was usually scoring 12's and 13's and my lowest BS score was an 11 when I took my first FL practice exam. Is it worth retaking the MCAT, say in 3-4 weeks, with my application in? The other two scores are at least average to competitive, but the BS one is much below average as people tend to to do the best in that subject. It's hard for me to come to terms with this score, another option is submit a re-score request, but I don't that the AAMC made any mistakes in scoring my MCAT.

So I'm adding that I got an MCAT score of 32 PS 11, V 11, BS 10. I'm a bit disappointed in the overall score but especially disappointed in the 10 for Biological Sciences. While taking practice tests, I was usually scoring 12's and 13's and my lowest BS score was an 11 when I took my first FL practice exam. Is it worth retaking the MCAT, say in 3-4 weeks, with my application in? The other two scores are at least average to competitive, but the BS one is much below average as people tend to to do the best in that subject. It's hard for me to come to terms with this score, another option is submit a re-score request, but I don't that the AAMC made any mistakes in scoring my MCAT.
Do not retake. Assuming that the rest of your app is strong you are competitive at quite a few schools.