American University of Antigua - thoughts??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c_hDewitt2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a non-traditional student considering attending AUA this fall. Anyone attend or know someone that has gone to this school? Anyone done the pre-med program through them? Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is ample discussion about the difficulties of the Caribbean in other threads. The general consensus is that US MD > DO > IMG MD in terms of matching ability and that's where most Caribbean grads get screwed. Unless you are okay with only having a real shot at being FM or IM, then stay the hell away from the Caribbean. Even then, I don't think students are really capable of knowing what they want until they get through med school.

You'd be better served by doing an SMP or post-bacc in the US and then subsequently applying to only US MD or DO schools. Don't be intoxicated by the pipe dream Caribbean schools sell you.

Here's one example: https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com/

Reactions: 2 users
There is ample discussion about the difficulties of the Caribbean in other threads. The general consensus is that US MD > DO > IMG MD in terms of matching ability and that's where most Caribbean grads get screwed. Unless you are okay with only having a real shot at being FM or IM, then stay the hell away from the Caribbean. Even then, I don't think students are really capable of knowing what they want until they get through med school.

You'd be better served by doing an SMP or post-bacc in the US and then subsequently applying to only US MD or DO schools. Don't be intoxicated by the pipe dream Caribbean schools sell you.

Here's one example: https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com/
Thank you this was helpful.

This school in particular is notorious for holding student back after 4th year for not getting the threshold COMP score. Search around the Caribbean forums here. You'll find posters trying to switch to other Caribbean schools just because of this. Other Caribbean schools do this as well, but from what i heard, it's not as ridiculous as AUA's policy.
In any case, try state-side first.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the info. According to their counselor (consider the source) they matched 85% in 2015. Is the reputation getting better you think?

No. The school will tell you whatever you want to hear in order to get your money.

Reactions: 11 users
Thank you for the info. According to their counselor (consider the source) they matched 85% in 2015. Is the reputation getting better you think?

Their "counselor's" job is to not care about students or their future, it's to fill seats at their school.

Absolutely do not go to the Carib, especially AUA.

Hi, I'm a non-traditional student considering attending AUA this fall. Anyone attend or know someone that has gone to this school? Anyone done the pre-med program through them? Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

Dude just take a few more years to work hard, get good grades and go DO. What's the big deal? The islands should be associated with vacation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless of whether or not it's the truth, the future is more important and I think that with the residency merger the spots that would typically go to Carribean MD students will be more likely go to more qualified DO students.

These are not counselors, they are salesmen. Caribbean schools are the for profit colleges of medical education.

Unless you are independently wealthy, never intend to work as a doctor, and want spend a decent chunk of your life learning about medicine in a 3rd world country just for kicks. And then only maybe.

Reactions: 4 users

I'm kind of a stickler for accuracy. So for starters lets look at the chart above.

http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

It shows it at 47% percent (pg. 22), this is not the match rate but the first desired residency match rate. This means that when they set up their ranking list only 47% matched into the residency they wanted. If they matched into their second desired residency, then it is considered a non-match for the sake of the graph. To explain it in more detail if the first 10 programs on the rank list were internal medicine (IM) programs and the 11th is family medicine (FM), if the person matches into FM the person is considered not matched on the graph. So that 47% number is again not the match rate, the match rate is higher than this. This is still bad considering US MD and DO schools pretty much match the vast majority of their students into their first desired residency.

You have mentioned the counselor stating an 85% match rate. Let's assume he is telling the truth. This is still bad considering the placement rates for US MD and DO schools are in the high 90s. Here is proof of this for DO schools:

https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/medical-students/match_infographic_2015.pdf?sfvrsn=2 (99.41% match placement for DOs)

However, you also don't know of that 85% are these actually full length residencies or just preliminary spots (i.e. one year dead end residencies that don't amount to much).

AUA 2016 placement
https://www.auamed.org/graduate-success/residency-placements/#residency-placement-2016

I am not seeing any of their preliminary spots shown on their match list which makes me cringe. Usually most US MD schools US DO schools are transparent about this aspects. Who knows how much of those internal medicine spots and surgery spots are one year dead end residences (even AUC is more transparent about this). For instance, I looked at their 2012 surgery matches into Mayo and Mass General:

AUA 2012 placement
https://www.auamed.org/graduate-success/residency-placements/#residency-placement-2012

Surgery Placements
http://www.massgeneral.org/surgery/education/resident-profiles-landing.aspx?display=PGY4
http://www.mayo.edu/msgme/about/resident-profiles/general-categorical-surgery

They would be PGY-4s by now and I don't see these dudes/dudettes anywhere, so that means they matched into dead end spots. So you have to be careful of looking at the match lists also. On a final note, you don't know what the attrition is like at these places (Ross is around 20% for the first two years and most carribbean schools are similar). So from start to finish you could be looking at 65% (assuming a best case scenario, probably worse) "match rate" from start to finish (year 1 to matching into residency). While even the worst DO school has a start to finish match rate of 90%+ (including attrition).

Be very careful in reading the NRMP and match lists, because one can be fooled into misinterpreting them. AND DON'T GO TO THE CARIBBEAN.

(On a side note, where the heck is @DetectiveAlonzo, he'd should have been laying the caribbean beat down by now, must be taking a sick day ;))

Reactions: 6 users
My friend attended this ****hole it took him 3 years to find a residency in peds. It was only the case because he went to work on those 3 years at the residency place in research and they did him a favor. Don't touch this place.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm kind of a stickler for accuracy. So for starters lets look at the chart above.

http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

It shows it at 47% percent (pg. 22), this is not the match rate but the first desired residency match rate. This means that when they set up their ranking list only 47% matched into the residency they wanted. If they matched into their second desired residency, then it is considered a non-match for the sake of the graph. To explain it in more detail if the first 10 programs on the rank list were internal medicine (IM) programs and the 11th is family medicine (FM), if the person matches into FM the person is considered not matched on the graph. So that 47% number is again not the match rate, the match rate is higher than this. This is still bad considering US MD and DO schools pretty much match the vast majority of their students into their first desired residency.

You have mentioned the counselor stating an 85% match rate. Let's assume he is telling the truth. This is still bad considering the placement rates for US MD and DO schools are in the high 90s. Here is proof of this for DO schools:

https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/medical-students/match_infographic_2015.pdf?sfvrsn=2 (99.41% match placement for DOs)

However, you also don't know of that 85% are these actually full length residencies or just preliminary spots (i.e. one year dead end residencies that don't amount to much).

AUA 2016 placement
https://www.auamed.org/graduate-success/residency-placements/#residency-placement-2016

I am not seeing any of their preliminary spots shown on their match list which makes me cringe. Usually most US MD schools US DO schools are transparent about this aspects. Who knows how much of those internal medicine spots and surgery spots are one year dead end residences (even AUC is more transparent about this). For instance, I looked at their 2012 surgery matches into Mayo and Mass General:

AUA 2012 placement
https://www.auamed.org/graduate-success/residency-placements/#residency-placement-2012

Surgery Placements
http://www.massgeneral.org/surgery/education/resident-profiles-landing.aspx?display=PGY4
http://www.mayo.edu/msgme/about/resident-profiles/general-categorical-surgery

They would be PGY-4s by now and I don't see these dudes/dudettes anywhere, so that means they matched into dead end spots. So you have to be careful of looking at the match lists also. On a final note, you don't know what the attrition is like at these places (Ross is around 20% for the first two years and most carribbean schools are similar). So from start to finish you could be looking at 65% (assuming a best case scenario, probably worse) "match rate" from start to finish (year 1 to matching into residency). While even the worst DO school has a start to finish match rate of 90%+ (including attrition).

Be very careful in reading the NRMP and match lists, because one can be fooled into misinterpreting them. AND DON'T GO TO THE CARIBBEAN.

(On a side note, where the heck is @DetectiveAlonzo, he'd should have been laying the caribbean beat down by now, must be taking a sick day ;))

Haha you're doing a mighty fine job in my absence my man. I don't want to call it a "beat down" but let's be real... This shouldn't even be an option. I've been spending some more time on the osteopathic side of SDN... Bunch of chiller folk there for some reason conspired to the Allo side (no shade to my Allo fam though).

OP... @IslandStyle808 has obviously done his research for you and has given you what you need to make an informed decision. Good work fam. You a real one!

Reactions: 4 users
Haha you're doing a mighty fine job in my absence my man. I don't want to call it a "beat down" but let's be real... This shouldn't even be an option. I've been spending some more time on the osteopathic side of SDN... Bunch of chiller folk there for some reason conspired to the Allo side (no shade to my Allo fam though).

OP... @IslandStyle808 has obviously done his research for you and has given you what you need to make an informed decision. Good work fam. You a real one!

Actually, I spend a lot more time on osteo side myself. Definitely a very chill group. Just more recently decided to read the other sub-forums, before I didn't due to the drama or "your just a pre-med/med student" callouts without the counter argument explanation.

During undergrad, one of their reps came to talk to my premed club..."If you can't get into any US medical schools, and I mean with really trying, then sure, come to Antigua!"

At the point where their own rep is saying only go there after exhausting all other options, you should probably not jump on going there right off the bat.

You should go there it's really scenic and nice!

Some people may argue that a top 1% ranked student at AUA should be given equal consideration to USMD/USDO students. No, not really, because there's a reason that they're at AUA in the 1st place and it's not because they were stellar.

That last sentence is rather offensive. Judge the application on the merit. People develop their ability to be "stellar" at different maturity levels and have a variety of reasons for why they may have attended AUA.

Spare us the umbrage, please. poopologist is spot on, and here's why:

Quoting the exceptionally sage @gyngyn:

"The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors.

The differential diagnosis (the potential etiology) for this finding is not pretty.
It includes: Institutional Actions, parental pressure, egotism, weak judgment, inability to delay gratification, poor research skills, gullibility, high risk behavior...

This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to take risks too! So some do get interviews.

A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!"

That last sentence is rather offensive. Judge the application on the merit. People develop their ability to be "stellar" at different maturity levels and have a variety of reasons for why they may have attended AUA.

Senior resident, soon to be chief, at a rather non-competitive ACGME psychiatry program here who had the pleasure this year of interviewing an AUA medical school graduate, with the person following him a MS4 from Georgetown University medical school, and the subsequent person an MS4 from Tufts medical school, and then a USDO MS4 with a master's degree in bioengineering. As an AUA graduate you will never be ranked higher than these types of graduates, if you are ranked at all or receive an interview at all. There is always a string of people 4-5 years out of Caribbean school walking into our place trying to get a spot. The desperation is palpable and I feel sorry for them. Some people may argue that a top 1% ranked student at AUA should be given equal consideration to USMD/USDO students. No, not really, because there's a reason that they're at AUA in the 1st place and it's not because they were stellar.

Reactions: 3 users

How many AUA grads have matched at your residency program?

OP... if you want FM or IM...

AUA will get you there.

Prepares to go through hell that is Caribbean med school doe.

Spare us the umbrage, please. poopologist is spot on, and here's why:

I am not saying poopologist is wrong. Simply the academic elitism is unfair. Indeed, the vast majority of grads from these institutions rightfully give them the reputation they have. Even so, outliers do exist, and prejudice based on the name of the institution from which they hail alone poorly reflects more poorly on the interviewer than the interviewee.

I have a relative who went to that school. She was super non-trad, super determined, and SUPER smart. She got into her first choice residency. She's the kind of person who can succeed anywhere but I bet if she had taken a more traditional route and went to a US medical school, she would have gone light years further. She's happy now, though, and I guess that's all that matters...but I can't help but wonder "what if". It was a long and tough journey for her.

I have a relative who went to that school. She was super non-trad, super determined, and SUPER smart. She got into her first choice residency. She's the kind of person who can succeed anywhere but I bet if she had taken a more traditional route and went to a US medical school, she would have gone light years further. She's happy now, though, and I guess that's all that matters...but I can't help but wonder "what if". It was a long and tough journey for her.

Was it in FM, IM, or Peds?

May wanna ask your cousin if she'd do it again. But like you said... as long as she is happy! Good work on her part.

This brings up another point. I know somebody who going to the Carib only because they "ONLY want to do IM". Truth of the matter is.. NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THEY WANT TO DO BEFORE THEY GO THROUGH ROTATIONS. What if they see they like Psych... or EM... or Neuro... or something else? Well... tough luck cause they settled for IM by heading to the carib and being shut out from more competitive specialties that are open to competitive DOs and MDs here in the states (whereas the Caribbean student more than likely worked their ass off and barely hung in there at this point to get an IM spot in a less-than-desirable location).

But hey... people always wanna work less and get the reward. Sad to say my generation doesn't know jack about delayed gratification. Everybody wants something quick, fast, and easy and doesn't wanna put the work in or dedicate the time to getting their foundation right. It is what it is but people... please... do your due diligence and spend all your energy getting into a US MD program first. Then utilize grade replacement and shadow a DO and apply broadly to all DO programs and go the DO route. IF that doesn't pan out... it is ALWAYS better to pursue the PA, RN, NP, etc. route and start getting paid rather than pussyfooting around to end up doing something like FM or IM when that is not what you wanted and constantly regretting your decision to do medicine.

Life is toooo short. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

1) its not match rate, its placement rate, which includes non-match residency slots such as SOAP and off cycle. These are basically whatever is left over
2) percent of placement does not matter if you do not graduate. There effective placement rate is at best 1/2 of that and likely less than 40%

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Advance-Data-Tables-2016_Final.pdf (see page 7, Table 4)

A decade or more ago, the Caribbean was a reasonable path to medicine It isnt the quality of the education in the Caribbean , which is questionable, that is the issue here at all. It is solely the reported (or discernible) match rate of the graduates and the underlying (and mostly unreported) attrition rate for matriculants which leads to what I call the success rate. That is, if you start medical school, what are the chances you will get a residency slot. I have discussed this at length is several other threads (links below). Essentially, in US MD schools, 94% of students graduate in 5 years going to 97% in 8 years (accounts for dual degree students). Graduating US MD seniors match into residency at 94% with likely 2%-4% getting SOAP slots. Lets say 97% total get positions. So if you start a US MD school, you have an overall 94% chance of earning your degree and getting a residency slot, thus allowing you to eventually practice medicine and pay your loans back. It should also be noted that about 75% of graduating seniors get into one of their top three ranked choices.

Bloomberg has cited from DeVry Medical International (Ross/AUC corporate parent) see link below) that Ross, for example, has about 52% of their students who complete the program and earn a degree. Of these about 85% receive a residency slot. SGU has previously reported about 30% of it graduates go to non-match slots via SOAP, off-cycle, or other mechanisms which essentially means what is ever left open at the end of the match. So if you start Ross, for example, you have an under 45% chance of earning a degree and getting any residency slot. Big risk for several hundred thousands of dollars in loans and less than a 45% chance of practicing medicine.

Additionally, in the table in the link at the top of this post there are some other numbers to be noted that tend to be overlooked: the withdrew and no rank, which are not included of the match/unmatched percentages discussed above (NRMP mixes two totals and two percentage groupings) These are applicants who apply for residency but either withdrew from selection (often for not passing boards) or did not complete the process by submitting a ranking list (often cause they did not get an interview). For the US Seniors, withdrew was 2% and no rank was 0.3%. Adding that to unmatched a total of 7.9% of the applicants who originally applied did not match into a spot. For IMG-US Citizens, if we take all who applied to residency but did not get a slot either by unmatched, withdrew, or no rank, it comes to a whopping 61.5% or nearly 8 times the US percentages.

Just a decade ago, going to the Caribbean was a reasonable path to medicine. Now with the growing number of US-MD graduates and the lack of any real growth in residency slots, squeezes the off-shore grads. With the debt that a student must risk for the losing odds on getting a residency slot, I can no longer recommend off shore schools.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...an-medical-schools-use-federal-funds-loophole
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...pre-med-matriculate-in-the-caribbean.1183556/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/us-md-for-320k-or-img-for-100k.1130221/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/good-chance-at-getting-into-st-georges-should-i-do-it-3-4-overall-gpa-3-55-science-gpa.1133776/#post-16443492

Looking back at a lot of the NRMP historical reports, I don't believe it was a good choice even more than a decade ago. Match rates were similar if not lower than now. However, DO school has slightly better match rates even in the 90s and 2000s (and with the AOA match it raises that percentage).

Last edited:
Was it in FM, IM, or Peds?

May wanna ask your cousin if she'd do it again. But like you said... as long as she is happy! Good work on her part.

This brings up another point. I know somebody who going to the Carib only because they "ONLY want to do IM". Truth of the matter is.. NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THEY WANT TO DO BEFORE THEY GO THROUGH ROTATIONS. What if they see they like Psych... or EM... or Neuro... or something else? Well... tough luck cause they settled for IM by heading to the carib and being shut out from more competitive specialties that are open to competitive DOs and MDs here in the states (whereas the Caribbean student more than likely worked their ass off and barely hung in there at this point to get an IM spot in a less-than-desirable location).

But hey... people always wanna work less and get the reward. Sad to say my generation doesn't know jack about delayed gratification. Everybody wants something quick, fast, and easy and doesn't wanna put the work in or dedicate the time to getting their foundation right. It is what it is but people... please... do your due diligence and spend all your energy getting into a US MD program first. Then utilize grade replacement and shadow a DO and apply broadly to all DO programs and go the DO route. IF that doesn't pan out... it is ALWAYS better to pursue the PA, RN, NP, etc. route and start getting paid rather than pussyfooting around to end up doing something like FM or IM when that is not what you wanted and constantly regretting your decision to do medicine.

Life is toooo short. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

It was in EM (she matched this year). If she could go back in time ~30 years, she would definitely do things differently.

It was in EM (she matched this year). If she could go back in time ~30 years, she would definitely do things differently.

Impressive indeed... EM is considerably tough for IMGs. Any info on board scores and what her app looked like and what program she matched to? You can PM me if you'd like.

@DetectiveAlonzo I wasn't aware you were a trending representative of the osteopathic subforum. I thought your favorite subforum was the Caribbean considering how I always see you post in Caribbean threads.

My friend attended this ****hole it took him 3 years to find a residency in peds. It was only the case because he went to work on those 3 years at the residency place in research and they did him a favor. Don't touch this place.
2 cousins went there and both took 2 cycles to gain a residency, and at NY hospitals that take a lot of IMG. My uncle (who was a IMG, but that was a different era) strongly suggested we do not do what his kids did.

Looking back at a lot of the NRMP historical reports, I don't believe it was a good choice even more than a decade ago. Match rates were similar if not lower than now. However, DO school has slightly better match rates even in the 90s and 2000s (and with the AOA match it raises that percentage).
It wasn't as good as US schools for sure, but people going offshore often did alright back then. There were outside of the match routes that don't exist now. Dead end prelims didn't exist. I think all of us know a few offshore grads who are older attendings or have older uncles or cousins who had much better career trajectories a few decades back than today's counterparts ever could. And to some extent this history fuels the continued interest in offshore.

Let's not gloss over the "consider the source" parenthetical. The big issue is that all "facts" coming from these islands are suspect. Nobody audits these statements. Most of these countries don't have the same kind of consumer protection/truth in advertising laws the US has. Or the school is important enough to the islands economy that they would have to cross some pretty significant lines to face any sort of enforcement, so they can make stuff up without any fear of retribution.

In the US we have become used to companies not being allowed to make claims on their websites that are blatantly false. In a small nation with less developed consumer laws, on which the economy is dependent, however, it's sometimes considered acceptable puffery -- i.e. there's nothing illegal to exaggerate on a website about how good the product is. So take this 85% with a grain of salt. It's probably 30% exaggeration, 25% dead end prelims and 30% labeling people who finally landed a spot after several years or soaped into something a 2915 "match". And all this ignores the high attrition that weeded out half the class beforehand.

2 cousins went there and both took 2 cycles to gain a residency, and at NY hospitals that take a lot of IMG. My uncle (who was a IMG, but that was a different era) strongly suggested we do not do what his kids did.
NY is still a lucky location. My friend was in a Bible belt location and he's off Indian decent. I'd imagine that it was hard without much diversity.

@DetectiveAlonzo I wasn't aware you were a trending representative of the osteopathic subforum. I thought your favorite subforum was the Caribbean considering how I always see you post in Caribbean threads.

Idk man... don't really consider myself a trending representative of anything really.

I just enjoy different forums for different reasons. The osteopathic folk seem to be a little more hardened, mature, and some of my favorite users are pretty dark, sarcastic, and don't like to sugarcoat stuff. I respect that a lot. The allopathic folk are chill, for the most part, minus all of the annoying pre-meds that act like they know everything in the world. There are some senior members whose responses I enjoy reading.

As for the Caribbean thread, I enjoy helping people avoid making rushed decisions based off of irrational lies that are told by many of these schools and try my best to avoid painting a huge positive picture of that hellhole which is Caribbean school, whether it be SGU, Ross, Saba, AUA, etc. I will keep doing so because unlike a few other members on that forum, I take my time to do research and talk to people who actually went to the programs and have shared their experiences with me.

I understand people are gonna do what they want to do anyway... and are only interested in listening to the positives of any situation rather than the cons. Well... I'm the opposite.. I like reading about the cons first and then going to the positives. If the + points outweigh the - points... then I go through with it.... like any rational, wise, and careful individual would. Then again, everybody in the end has their own dilemma and situation, but if you ask for advice, I'll make sure to give you all I got, good and bad.

If I'm considered the "bad guy" or "d-bag" for it... oh well.

They even hated on Jesus lol

It wasn't as good as US schools for sure, but people going offshore often did alright back then. There were outside of the match routes that don't exist now. Dead end prelims didn't exist. I think all of us know a few offshore grads who are older attendings or have older uncles or cousins who had much better career trajectories a few decades back than today's counterparts ever could. And to some extent this history fuels the continued interest in offshore.

How frequent were outside matches? I understand their existence, but not at what percentage though. I assume it to be on the low side.

@c_hDewitt2 I beg that you can reconsider attending this school. This school is considered to be a secondary school for people who fail out of SGU/Ross/AUC during the pre-clinical years which should be a red flag that it will not respect or honor you as a medical student. I understand that this post is four days old, however after talking with a colleague I'm under the firm impression that this school will view you as nothing more than cattle that will generate income starting from Day 1 and they could care less if you make it through the program or not.

I will be more than happy to tell you which school should choose. AUA is a med school mainly composed of people who failed out of Ross. I have many former classmates who failed out of Ross who transferred there.

In fact, there was a representative from AUA right near the campus during our appeal week for students who were appealing being kicked out, and he would wait outside the building and offer them a spot at AUA.

Besides this, AUA is not accredited in all 50 states, Ross is. AUA does not receive federal loans...Ross does. check out the Match stats from Ross and AUA in previous years and that will show you that you have better opportunities to match a better places than AUA.

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ross-vs-antiguas-medical-school-aua.701550/

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...tional-Medical-Graduates-Revised.PDF-File.pdf

page 22. 207 US IMGs from Antigua failed to match vs the 180 who successfully matched. That means you have less than a 50% of matching and that is if you even make it that far. Those schools typically have high attrition.

There is another medical school on the island of antigua UMHS I think is what its called. Their match rates are also counted for the island of antigua in these numbers you are reporting. So it is inaccurate to state these represent aua's match rates

AUA is approved by all 50 states. I had issues with the mcat due to half assing college and aua took me without it. So no I'm not a ross transfer and neither is 90% of the class. Yes its a second chance school you want a US MD if at all possible but for some of us we screwed ourselves out of that chance while working full time or just taking a while to mature academically. but proud to say I'm a 3rd year now with aua after scoring 260 on step 1. Throwing a big finger up to the mcat. Yes the do have federal aid as of spring 2016. Too much misinformation thrown out about foreign school only those who have spent a few years or graduated from there have any business giving advice, unless your reporting data dont spread misinformation.

AUA is approved by all 50 states. I had issues with the mcat due to half assing college and aua took me without it. So no I'm not a ross transfer and neither is 90% of the class. Yes its a second chance school you want a US MD if at all possible but for some of us we screwed ourselves out of that chance while working full time or just taking a while to mature academically. but proud to say I'm a 3rd year now with aua after scoring 260 on step 1. Throwing a big finger up to the mcat. Yes the do have federal aid as of spring 2016. Too much misinformation thrown out about foreign school only those who have spent a few years or graduated from there have any business giving advice, unless your reporting data dont spread misinformation.

cGPA: ~3.27
sGPA: ~3.2
30 mcat

B.S Biology
23 years old

ECs:
-Small business owner of a medical transport company (dealing with the transport of patients to appointments and back to home or care center) 2008 to current
-officer of student organization at CSUS
-expanding horizons mentor multiple times
-volunteer work at hospital nearly every saturday since 2008

can anybody give me any ideas as to my chances to a DO or MD program? i know the gpa is below par but don't know about my Ec's any input?

thanks!

5 years ago, you claimed that you had a 30 on your MCAT and yet now you say that AUA took you without an MCAT score. Your story doesn't add up. It's about as likely that you scored a 260 on Step 1 as you scored a 30 on your MCAT.

It wasnt until about 2004-2205 that finally all programs that were part of the match had to include all slots. Ironically, the last holdouts included some programs at JHU, where the residency system began in the 1890s, as they were trying to save spots for their own graduates.

Why not just rank them at the top?

Okay well, the loans and 50-state accreditation don't greatly change the opinion of AUA in most people's minds. It's seen as a second-chance school (or third-chance, TBH). Matching a US residency as an IMG is too risky of an endeavor for anyone to recommend it.