American Would Like To Study in East Asia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imreallyjohn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm new to this site so I'm just posting this where I think it'd fit. I've wanted to be a surgeon since I was very young. I've always been fascinated by the human body and all that. I'm 18 years old and in my second year of college. I recently became very interested in studying medicine in abroad, more specifically I've been fascinated by Hong Kong. I'm looking for advice from anyone who may have studied medicine in Hong Kong, China or just Eastern Asia in general. Any tips or cautions are appreciated I need all the input I can get. More specifically though I'm trying to learn how the education I'd receive their stacks up to the education I'd receive here in the United States. I'm also concerned with certifications and testing and how the licenses and things would transfer between China and the United States. I've read some articles about it and it looks like if I kept at it I could make it work somehow. Anything you've got to say just throw it out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Well the education you'll receive in HK is probably the most similar to what you would receive in the US although you would have to learn Cantonese. I believe HKU teaches in English but you'll have to interact with patients in Cantonese. Duke-NUS's medical school will also give you a very US style education in Asia.

A lot of mainland Chinese schools are starting English language programs but they have mostly been catering to Indian students who haven't been able to obtain spots in Indian medical schools (India is very difficult for admissions). However, the quality of the programs isn't necessarily the greatest. Also, most of these programs won't garner much respect if you apply back to the US and of course the teaching style will be different.

Duke-NUS and HKU will probably be the most competitive schools in Asia, you'll really need to have stats that are equivalent to US medical school stats in order to get in and they really like to see a good MCAT.

China's English programs won't require nearly as much, but then again I wouldn't recommend going there. Physician official pay is very low in China and the system is really badly in need of reform. I would recommend staying in the US if possible and doing an elective in China. Even Chinese doctors respect US medical schools more than their own.