Americans Attending/Graduated from Trinity College Dublin School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TCDMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an American who was recently accepted into Trinity College Dublin School of Medicine through the Atlantic Bridge Program. I am beyond excited to be moving to Ireland and starting school this upcoming fall.

I am interested in hearing from current Americans studying Medicine at TCD, or from American graduates from this program currently practicing back in the US. Any information you can provide would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I spent some time at TCD as an undergrad (not in medicine). I can't speak to anything medicine-specific, but if you have any general questions about TCD/Ireland/life in Dublin, feel free to PM me.

How are American students generally accepted at TCD by other students and/or faculty members? Do American students seem to have a difficult time assimilating into TCD student life or into Irish culture in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
Post in the UK/Ireland forums. That's where the Irish med school students hang out.

Oh okay, thanks for the suggestion.

How are American students generally accepted at TCD by other students and/or faculty members? Do American students seem to have a difficult time assimilating into TCD student life or into Irish culture in general?

1. TCD is a leading university. They're used to international students. I felt welcome as part of the student body--and I was only there as a visiting student!

2. I'm pretty sure the only Americans to have a difficult time assimilating are those who choose to isolate themselves by only hanging out with other Americans or whatnot. I can't really speak to this because I spent most of my time with Irish/European students. Get involved with student societies. Be friendly to your classmates. etc.

3. Americans who try to be to Irish are annoying. Don't assume all of Ireland is "quaint" and remember that if you happen to be of Irish ancestry that doesn't make you "Irish." Basically common sense: don't act like you expect all the Irish stereotypes to be true and don't act like a stereotypical annoying American.

4. Watch Father Ted. Seriously. It's a sitcom from the late 90s and, aside from being bloody hilarious, it has become a bit of a cultural touchstone. Most Irish people know it, so being able to recognize references to it might be good. Also, as I said, it's bloody wonderful. If you're really religious you might find it a little offensive, but other than that...anyway, I'm pretty sure it's on Hulu.

Caveate: I love Ireland and would rather be there than hear (I have periodic fantasies of completing my training in the US and then pulling up the stakes...). I also had taken numerous trips to Ireland as a kid, so I was already kind of knew what to expect. The reverse culture shock (that is, coming back to the US) was a lot harder to deal with than the culture shock of going there. My point is, I might not be a typical case. The only things I really missed when I was there were snow (I'm a cross-country skier), some of the particulars of life in New England, and being in the same time zone as my family.

Thank you so much for your advice. It was very helpful.

how old are you? all your classmates are going to be 17/18

Haha, that made me laugh. We shall see, I guess.

how old are you? all your classmates are going to be 17/18

Probably not. He will likely be in one of those 4 year programs for people with bachelors. The 17/18 are probably going to be in the 5/6 year program (not sure how many years it is).

TCD School of Medicine only has a 5-year program.