AMG but no a resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InternationlDoc

Imported like a Ferrari
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question for the attendings that post in this forum or anyone knowledgable in this regard -

I am currently going through the process of US permenant residency. I have what they call an "EAD" card - a work permit which renews every 3 years till you get your permenant residency. In my current situation, I am assured permenancy in US and so I DO NOT need H1 etc.

so...when applying to residency programs, would the residencies "filter" out my application because I am neither a US citizen or permenant resident yet (but in process)?

I would really appreciate an answer; I want to know this because if residencies do mind me being under process, then I think I will take a year off to do research and then apply 2011 when I expect to be a US resident.

Let me know guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not an attending nor an expert but I'm in a similar situation, but I am a 'conditional' PR as recently married to a citizen.

I am actually going through the match this year.

I was actually asked to clarify my visa status first by a program before they offered me the interview.

On ERAS I am listed as a conditional PR but on NRMP I am listed as a non US Citizen/IMG.
I don't know how much this affected my application.

The fact that you don't need a visa is a huge plus.
I'm not aware if being a Permanent Resident will give you enough of an advantage over having an EAD to justify a year out. (Unless you believe that the year of research will be beneficial to you).

I would personally go ahead an apply for next years match (2010). I have heard along the way that PD's prefer IMG's who have good references from an Intern year and so that will generally help you more than research, although the research will help in getting to know a particular program with the hope of matching there.

You can always apply for the match next year and have research as a backup plan?

Good luck

Oops... I just wrote out the above assuming that you went to a Foreign medical school.
I am guessing from the title of your post that you are an AMG????:confused:
In that case.. I doubt the EAD would affect you at all..!!

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the reply

yes I go to a US medical school.

Hey.. No Problem..

Hope you get a better answer to your question as although having an EAD really shouldn't affect your application it would be nice to hear that from someone who really knows the system.

Good luck!