Amount of my research work has decreased by a bit. Normal/ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Admires

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Agree with Mad Jack, I am a paid researcher. Sometimes there is a lot to do, and sometimes there is a lot of down time as we wait for equipment/funding etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very normal.

Hey, guys. I have been an unpaid research assistant in a top 10 medical school since beginning of freshman year. I'm a second semester sophomore now. I work for around 8 hours a week. During freshman year, I was very busy, running a gel/ doing some sort of assay every time I came. However, recently, things have started to die down a bit. My supervisor will sometimes not have work for me and tell me to just chill and do some homework or read a paper for the day. Like for example, this week for 4 hours I did homework/read papers they gave me and the other 3 or 4 hours I did actual work. Is this normal? I really like my PI and I'm sure I'll get a great recommendation as he's an extremely nice person so I want to stay with the lab. Thanks.

Totally normal. However, is there something you could do to be helpful to someone else or learn something? Could you tidy up, clean or autoclave something, shadow someone, organize/inventory/ re-stock something? Reading papers is good, but you could technically do that outside of the lab. Making the most out of your time in the lab will help you learn and make you look good.

Hey, guys. I have been an unpaid research assistant in a top 10 medical school since beginning of freshman year. I'm a second semester sophomore now. I work for around 8 hours a week. During freshman year, I was very busy, running a gel/ doing some sort of assay every time I came. However, recently, things have started to die down a bit. My supervisor will sometimes not have work for me and tell me to just chill and do some homework or read a paper for the day. Like for example, this week for 4 hours I did homework/read papers they gave me and the other 3 or 4 hours I did actual work. Is this normal? I really like my PI and I'm sure I'll get a great recommendation as he's an extremely nice person so I want to stay with the lab. Thanks.

Maybe it's time you asked him about starting your own project.