An epiphany has led me here and now I'm trying to learn :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madavre3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a brief background on me... and first post btw :)

I am a naive and focused individual who comes to these forums with no idea what will come.

I have recently graduated from my undergrad and was accepted to many law schools around the country when I decided it was a good time to reflect on my past decisions and likely future. This reflection eventually brought me to where I am today (and that is a HUGE summary. Lets say it involved moving cross country with one suitcase, working as a personal trainer, and playing a lotta open mics :) ).

Now I'm still working as a Personal Trainer and it has opened a new view of what my future can possibly be. I have found I love working with people and making them better at what they do, which is why I'm now considering the field of Physical Therapy as well as nursing.

I luckily have an amazing family and they are helping me wherever they can but I still feel as if I'm moving into a field blindly and information is not only overwhelming, but inconsistent at times.

Is there anyone out there who has worked as a nurse and as a Physical Therapist and who is willing to discuss the fields? If not, is there anyone who could tell me the major perks of working in either field? I will be volunteering at a hospital soon (however after reading the forums it seems like a pretty bad idea lol) and I hope I can glean some information from my time on the floor. I am doing my best to find what career suits me and any information that anybody would like to share would be a HUGE help.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing what this forum has in store :) :)

Oh and if anyone needs any Personal Training tips, don't hesitate to ask ;)

Marcus

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man, welcome to the forums. I hope someone will address your questions and I will later this evening or tomorrow. I wanted to get some more information, have you taken science classes. Specifically: Anatomy/Physiology, Microbiology, Chem 1 and 2, Physics 1 and 2? I'm just trying to get an idea of your knowledge base and education.

So a brief background on me... and first post btw :)

I am a naive and focused individual who comes to these forums with no idea what will come.

I have recently graduated from my undergrad and was accepted to many law schools around the country when I decided it was a good time to reflect on my past decisions and likely future. This reflection eventually brought me to where I am today (and that is a HUGE summary. Lets say it involved moving cross country with one suitcase, working as a personal trainer, and playing a lotta open mics :) ).

Now I'm still working as a Personal Trainer and it has opened a new view of what my future can possibly be. I have found I love working with people and making them better at what they do, which is why I'm now considering the field of Physical Therapy as well as nursing.

I luckily have an amazing family and they are helping me wherever they can but I still feel as if I'm moving into a field blindly and information is not only overwhelming, but inconsistent at times.

Is there anyone out there who has worked as a nurse and as a Physical Therapist and who is willing to discuss the fields? If not, is there anyone who could tell me the major perks of working in either field? I will be volunteering at a hospital soon (however after reading the forums it seems like a pretty bad idea lol) and I hope I can glean some information from my time on the floor. I am doing my best to find what career suits me and any information that anybody would like to share would be a HUGE help.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing what this forum has in store :) :)

Oh and if anyone needs any Personal Training tips, don't hesitate to ask ;)

Marcus
i was pre-law in college and worked at a couple law firms after graduation. to each his own, but i thought law school would have been a really bad idea. i wasnt passionate about it, every major city is overly saturated with lawyers, the education is expensive and only affordable if you go to a top school and graduate top in your class. its a cuthroat environment, and people generally dont like what they do.

2 years ago, i started taking prereqs for PT. during that time i volunteered and worked part time in a clinic as an aide. from my experience i could tell i would be happy with the work and that i could live comfortably without the worry that i may get laid off due to a dip in the economy.

that said, i would do a lot of research on both fields. both fields are compltely different. nursing has its perks and its down sides. first, nursing is a MUCH quicker fix. you only need an associates degree to get your RN and the prereqs arent as in depth. however, bc its such a quick fix these days, there are A LOT of people getting their RN, making the job market more and more competitive. also, depending on your interests, you may find the nursing profession a little boring, possibly with really bad hours, and lacking significant autonomy.

in PT, you really only answer to a referring physician. you have the opportunity to build relationships with patients and are able to watch them progress over a period of time. there are a variety of settings you can choose to work in, there is a HUGE demand for PT's, and the pay is solid. the downside, is you need a 3-year post-bacc (DPT) degree, which is apparently pretty tough to obtain. its also expensive as hell and will probably be difficult to pay off on a PT salary (though, as least, is doable).