Anaerobic Respiration Problem (is TPR wrong?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMDclass2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was in the TPR 2015 biology section.

Cytochrome c:

I. is located in the inner mitochondrial membrane

II. undergoes redox reactions

III. functions in anaerobic respiration

I and II are clearly correct. However, I included III also and was incorrect. Anaerobic respiration simply means that oxygen is not the final electron acceptor. But it still should proceed through the ETC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_respiration also mentions that it still proceeds through the ETC. Unless anaerobic respiration has different proteins?

Thanks in advance, you guys are awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like this is more of a semantics problem then an understanding issue, so at least that's good news. Cyt C is indeed, obviously, the first two. It does also function in anaerobic respiration; however, it does not bind oxygen. While it proceeds through the ETC, it does not function in the end result of oxygen binding. Therefore, in my opinion, you are correct. I see why they call it incorrect, though, and it's mainly due to awkward wording.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the entire stem only "Cytochrome c"? Does it reference "human" in the stem or passage? Humans use oxygen as the final electron acceptor and glycolysis fermentation if conditions are anaerobic. It is NOT like I can switch to using ethanol as my final electron acceptor cuz I ran out of O2. The anaerobes using an ETC and a different final acceptor are PROKARYOTES.

There are exceptions to everything and weird archae that do about anything you can dream up, so maybe there's something out there that uses different proteins, but....

THINK: No oxygen for humans = oxygen debt, think ETC not working because there isn't that LARGE positiveE/negative delta G reaction at the end driving the ETC REDOX reactions forward, more glycolysis fermentation n the cytoplasm, lots 'o lactic acid.

I will also add that in order to even enter the mitochondria to be part of the TCA cycle and ETC, oxygen is required. Thus without oxygen, pyruvate remains in the cytoplasm and ferments.

This was in the TPR 2015 biology section.

Cytochrome c:

I. is located in the inner mitochondrial membrane

II. undergoes redox reactions

III. functions in anaerobic respiration

I and II are clearly correct. However, I included III also and was incorrect. Anaerobic respiration simply means that oxygen is not the final electron acceptor. But it still should proceed through the ETC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_respiration also mentions that it still proceeds through the ETC. Unless anaerobic respiration has different proteins?

Thanks in advance, you guys are awesome!

I think you just made a test-taking mistake; electrons will move through cyt c ONCE and stay stuck there w/o O2 acceptor; so if you burn a few more glucose molecules after, their electrons arent really interacting with cyt c - so you can't define that as cyt c actively functioning in the process