Anals on car interior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fenlie

Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have this problem, I was going upnorth last weekend with my dogs, and while I stepped out to use the rest area, one of my dogs decided to express his anals on the driver's seat. Now the car reeks and I can't get the smell out. The seats are cloth, I've tried soap and water, fantastik, febreze, and tomato juice(just for the heck of it) and nothing has worked. Does anyone know of anything that will work? The car stinks, especially now that it's getting warmer. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I nearly peed myself laughing when I read the title of this post! That aside, have you tried any of the enzymatic cleaners that are supposed to be good on pee? I like Nature's Miracle products, and the pet store probably has others. You could also spray some Pet Butler on it - that's what we use for anal gland odors (and in the bathroom!) at my clinic. It might at least help neutralize it!

What about the enzymatic cleaners you can get for cleaning up "oops" spots in the house? I don't know if it will work, but it might help. I also use a woolite/oxyclean spray to clean my carpets from any accident spots. It never seems to smell afterwards, so again...worth a shot.

Otherwise, ick, that sucks! Sorry to hear it!

Members don't see this ad :)
A 50/50 water/vinegar mix works wonders on anal gland smell, but it's a trade off for the smell of vinegar. I've used this several times on chairs and couches and then soaked the area down with febreeze afterward and it seemed to knock out both the anal gland odor and the vinegar smell pretty well.

I'd try Nature's Miracle. Use it exactly according to the printed directions, though. It doesn't work very well unless it's allowed to sit without drying for 48 hours.

Hydrogen peroxide might be another thing to try, though it may bleach the upholstery.

If you're familiar with EpiOtic Advanced, it's used for "ears and rears." It smells pretty good, I don't know how it would do on car seats but I guess anything's worth a try

You can try cleaning with vinegar, rubbing alcohol, or my personal favorite: scotchgard oxy pet spot cleaning spray. I cleaned anal gland discharge off of a leather couch and it turned out fine. With the fabric interior, your options are a bit more limited as the odor has already seeped in through the fabric outer layer...You can try professional cleaning (which involves lots of noxious chemicals that mask the odor, not the best) or pay to have the fabric on the entire chair replaced. :(

At the clinic, we just spray everything with a noxious cloud of cinnamon scent.

All that ever accomplishes for me is formation of a permanent mental association of the scent used to cover with the offending odor. I'm not so sure that I'd want to mentally whiff anal sac exudate every time I walk by a Cinnabon in the mall....

On the other hand, that is a pretty good strategy if you need to lose some weight!

All that ever accomplishes for me is formation of a permanent mental association of the scent used to cover with the offending odor. I'm not so sure that I'd want to mentally whiff anal sac exudate every time I walk by a Cinnabon in the mall....

On the other hand, that is a pretty good strategy if you need to lose some weight!

:lol:

I know that ear cleaner... like the vet kind that we use at the clinic keeps the smell down on stinky doggy butts (when they come in for expressions we wipe well with vet ear cleaner) and it seems to work... but I don't know about one some that have sunk in! Sorry... but worth a try!

For anals we use a small amount of scope mouthwash mixed with lots of water in a spray bottle. It leaves a nice minty fresh smell. We also use groom aid spray sometimes too. Both smell much, much better than anal glands and seem to actually get rid of the smell instead of just masking it.

I don't have any experience with your particular problem, but I have an idea. Can you make a baking soda paste and let it sit on the area for a while then clean off? The baking soda might absorb some of the smell.

Thanks for the suggestions this is going to be my weekend project hope it works

I've had good luck with the scope and water on fabric. I have fake leather in my car, and my dog expresses all the time. For the fake leather - scented alcohol hand sanitizer works great (like from bath and body works)-- and then wiped up with water. good luck. my dog expresses ALL the time - so I've taken to expressing them for her before long car rides (although, it doesn't help much . . . she seems to keep a reserve).