PhD/PsyD Analysis of Internship Statistics and Trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bebold92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A close family member of mine is applying to internship in the next few years and I wanted to see their chances of actually getting an internship. So I wrote a program that scraped all the information off of APPICs directory using R and I ran some analysis on it. I wanted to know if the information I was able to extract is relevant and how I can keep looking at this data to help them succeed.

Link to analysis.

The data is also in the analysis.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"As shown there is a really good chance you can get an interview with the Armed Forced Medical Centers, but those sites generally require a lot of hours."

And that there is that pesky thing of having to be commissioned and serve a (3 year) tour in the armed forces, right? Not for everybody. Might want to add that in there. Also, the pay is higher cause you being paid as at the rank of Captain in the US military, because thats what you are in that role.

"As shown there is a really good chance you can get an interview with the Armed Forced Medical Centers, but those sites generally require a lot of hours."

And that there is that pesky thing of having to be commissioned and serve a (3 year) tour in the armed forces, right? Not for everybody. Might want to add that in there. Also, the pay is higher cause you being paid as at the rank of Captain in the US military, because thats what you are in that role.

Thanks for that insight. I have updated my blog post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you limit this analysis to APA-accredited internships?

I didn't but it is easily possible to do that. I have that as a parameter in my data set.

The "likely to get an internship" bit is not really informative; two different applicants do not have the same chances at all internships. Even a stellar child neuropsych applicant with 20 pubs and 500 child neuro assessment hours isn't competitive at a uni counseling center, not because they're not great at what they do but because they don't fit.

The other charts are fabulous, though. That's good data for someone planning pracs to take, presently really efficiently.

Also, it might be worth adding a caveat that just because sites say that they offer opportunities to work with a certain group/population doesn't mean that interns are expected/required to have experience in that population. I was told that the best fit sites were ones where I had core training applicable to many things they did, but ALSO that I had areas I wanted to develop/expand that they could provide me where I had relatively less training.