Analyte most likely elevated in specimen 2 hours after MI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBrand

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just need a bit of help with this question here...

Which analyte is most likely to be elevated in a specimen drawn 2 hours after a myocardial infarction?

A. CK-MB
B. Myoglobin
C. Troponin I
D. LDL

Members don't see this ad.

B. myoglobin. It is released faster than CK-MB and Troponin and is detected within two hours of MI.
CK-MB and Troponin levels rise within 3-12hours of MI but they are more specific as cardiac markers.
P.s at the hospitals I've worked at they test for troponin and Ck-mb levels on all MI suspect patients.

This is an obscenely strange question for the MCAT without a passage, but yes myoglobin is detectable earlier than troponin, but has almost no specificity. Thus, you still have to draw a troponin to confirm via biomarkers. Generally speaking, unless it is a STEMI, where you are using a 12+ lead or echo to confirm the MI, you are going to rely on troponin as it is detectable for a while and has high specificity for the heart.

Reactions: 1 user
This is an obscenely strange question for the MCAT without a passage, but yes myoglobin is detectable earlier than troponin, but has almost no specificity. Thus, you still have to draw a troponin to confirm via biomarkers. Generally speaking, unless it is a STEMI, where you are using a 12+ lead or echo to confirm the MI, you are going to rely on troponin as it is detectable for a while and has high specificity for the heart.
Thanks Parker,
you are 100% correct in thinking that it would be an obscenely strange question for the MCAT, mainly because I was just curious about this question that I'd seen in a diagnostic science class... and just for future reference, is there a forum board where I can post general science questions? Not so tech savvy and getting used to these forums.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Parker,
you are 100% correct in thinking that it would be an obscenely strange question for the MCAT, mainly because I was just curious about this question that I'd seen in a diagnostic science class... and just for future reference, is there a forum board where I can post general science questions? Not so tech savvy and getting used to these forums.

This seems to be the most appropriate section, just preface the question.