Anatomy Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have an iPhone or iPad, there is an app called anatomy (dunno about android!). it's kind of a fun way to learn/review. only bummer is that it is human (bleh!:annoyed:). But at least by playing it you can familiarize yourself with a lot of the basics so you aren't completely clueless as to where some things are. i downloaded the light version first and then ended up paying for the full version because i liked it so much (i don't think it cost too much). also, when i was at my gym yesterday i actually took the time to read the fine print and discovered the machines actually tell you which muscles you are working (I got really excited to see that i was working my gluteus minimus and tensor fascia latae yesterday and actually knew what/where they were!). anatomy is everywhere! :love:

What do you guys think about Saunder's veterinary Anatomy Coloring Book? I heard a lot of students use the coloring book and drawing and coloring really helps me study. I need to learn a few things about anatomy for my major anyways and found this one and thought $20 wasn't too bad! Have any of you used it? Do you like it?

What do you guys think about Saunder's veterinary Anatomy Coloring Book? I heard a lot of students use the coloring book and drawing and coloring really helps me study. I need to learn a few things about anatomy for my major anyways and found this one and thought $20 wasn't too bad! Have any of you used it? Do you like it?

I liked it for head/neuro anatomy and for veins, arteries, nerves, body cavities and membranous layers, but it didn't help me much for muscles.

Anyone with an iPad interested in comparative anatomy should look into Nova for neuroanatomy and Visible Body for everything else (integrated musculoskeletal, circulatory, etc.). For visual learners these apps are hands down the best way to learn human anatomy (without a cadaver).

My favorite Christmas present this year was a copy of Colorado State University's Virtual Anatomy Program of the Dog + Dissection of the Dog, the first and second year vet students use it. The program is UNBELIEVABLE!! I love it!! My mom found it online and I'm using that to study anatomy during the break until vet school.

My favorite Christmas present this year was a copy of Colorado State University's Virtual Anatomy Program of the Dog + Dissection of the Dog, the first and second year vet students use it. The program is UNBELIEVABLE!! I love it!! My mom found it online and I'm using that to study anatomy during the break until vet school.

:thumbup:
Used this a bit for my midterm on the dog. Everyone in my class started freaking out when we found out it wasn't going to be available on line anymore.

And I don't know about you, but I'd enjoy that time not studying. Sometimes I wish I had looked over things a bit more before I started school, but vet school moves so quickly that I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference.

:thumbup:
Used this a bit for my midterm on the dog. Everyone in my class started freaking out when we found out it wasn't going to be available on line anymore.

And I don't know about you, but I'd enjoy that time not studying. Sometimes I wish I had looked over things a bit more before I started school, but vet school moves so quickly that I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference.

Is it not online anymore? I googled it and found a page about it and it looks really useful, but I didn't see anything about how to access it or get it. I need to take an anatomy class next semester for my undergraduate program and it includes a full canine dissection; extra study aids would help. The profs who teach it also teach vet students, so it's fairly detailed, an extra study aid would help. Might as well get something to help and learn everything right now since I'll need it in vet school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it not online anymore? I googled it and found a page about it and it looks really useful, but I didn't see anything about how to access it or get it. I need to take an anatomy class next semester for my undergraduate program and it includes a full canine dissection; extra study aids would help. The profs who teach it also teach vet students, so it's fairly detailed, an extra study aid would help. Might as well get something to help and learn everything right now since I'll need it in vet school.

If you can't find it, PM me. You could probably talk me into selling mine, since I haven't used it since first year.

If you can't find it, PM me. You could probably talk me into selling mine, since I haven't used it since first year.

Alright thanks. The only caveat is that the OS X version is preferable for me, as I have a mac (though I could use windows on open access computers if I must). I think I might have found it in the CSU bookstore, but not totally sure, there really isn't any description. I saw in some older threads that people had good results by e-mailing Dr. Whalen directly and asking to purchase a copy, might try that.

It used to be online for free but now you have to contact the professor to purchase it.

just out of curiosity...does anyone recommend reviewing histology before vet school? Our monkey-vet swears that taking a histology course before vet school saved her life. Is this something you guys have just picked up on during the vet school curriculum?

just out of curiosity...does anyone recommend reviewing histology before vet school? Our monkey-vet swears that taking a histology course before vet school saved her life. Is this something you guys have just picked up on during the vet school curriculum?

I don't recommend reviewing anything except your pillow and a couple bottles of wine before vet school starts.

I'm sure you can be fine without them, but if you have the chance, taking any classes outside of the admissions prerequisites about veterinary and medical subjects that you can now (anatomy, phys, histo, etc) will probably help out when you have to take it in vet school, so you might as well if you have the opportunity. I'm taking a histology class next semester.

Wha? I'm pretty sure I paid a good bit of money for it. And I didn't contact the prof, I think it was just thru the university bookstore.

Yeah, the bookstore had what I think is it, listed for like $80 used and $100 something for a new copy. People in older threads here on SDN claimed they got it for around 40 bucks by e-mailing the professor in charge of the program.

It's just something you learn. If you are still in school and have the option to take it as a class then go for it. If not, don't worry about trying to go over it. Everyone comes in with different levels of background in certain areas. I found some things were easier because I'd had the concept before in undergrad, but other things you just learn when you get it. Take the time to relax.

I'm sure you can be fine without them, but if you have the chance, taking any classes outside of the admissions prerequisites about veterinary and medical subjects that you can now (anatomy, phys, histo, etc) will probably help out when you have to take it in vet school, so you might as well if you have the opportunity. I'm taking a histology class next semester.

Yeah, the bookstore had what I think is it, listed for like $80 used and $100 something for a new copy. People in older threads here on SDN claimed they got it for around 40 bucks by e-mailing the professor in charge of the program.

The $40 is still true if you contact him. I think you can get it down to like $35 if multiple people order it.

As for Histo, I didn't take it at my undegrad because the professor who taught it was insanely difficult. Like 200 slides per lecture. No thanks.

It might have been nice to have learned it once before but I've done alright in the class without any background knowledge so far. The written part has given me trouble but the practical portion I find to be on the easier side.

Any vet-related courses you can take in undergrad ahead of time will make a difference in your comfort level at school, especially 1st year.

If you are talking about reviewing on your own in the summer before school starts, or something like that... meh... that is a bad use of your time.

I don't recommend reviewing anything except your pillow and a couple bottles of wine before vet school starts.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:That's my kind of pre-req!! I will be taking your advice (as well as everyone else's) very seriously, probably throw in as many trail rides as my boys will put up with too!

Any vet-related courses you can take in undergrad ahead of time will make a difference in your comfort level at school, especially 1st year.

If you are talking about reviewing on your own in the summer before school starts, or something like that... meh... that is a bad use of your time.

:thumbup: Seriously. Really wish I'd come in with a stronger basic sciences background, but you learn and deal with it. Immunology is by far what I wish I had taken beforehand.

It's just something you learn. If you are still in school and have the option to take it as a class then go for it. If not, don't worry about trying to go over it. Everyone comes in with different levels of background in certain areas. I found some things were easier because I'd had the concept before in undergrad, but other things you just learn when you get it. Take the time to relax.

:thumbup: This exactly. Vet school comes on fast and hard, use your time before to live a little. I had a lot of the material in 1st semester before coming to vet school, including histo, and all that meant was a little less study time, not a lot (with the exception being anatomy, which is something I love and am good at naturally-good visual memory). Relax! Sleep! Drink wine! Do whatever you enjoy now, don't pre-study. You likely won't remember it by the time vet school starts anyways...I barely did:laugh:

:thumbup: This exactly. Vet school comes on fast and hard, use your time before to live a little. I had a lot of the material in 1st semester before coming to vet school, including histo, and all that meant was a little less study time, not a lot (with the exception being anatomy, which is something I love and am good at naturally-good visual memory). Relax! Sleep! Drink wine! Do whatever you enjoy now, don't pre-study. You likely won't remember it by the time vet school starts anyways...I barely did:laugh:

Seems like everyone says to take the summer before vet school off and take some time to relax...but (unless I get in and choose to stay at A&M) I'll either need to take a 10 week physiology course over the summer before starting vet school, or I won't finish my bachelor's degree. Decisions...

I e-mailed that prof about the anatomy software also. Hopefully I'll get my hands on a copy of it soon.

Seems like everyone says to take the summer before vet school off and take some time to relax...but (unless I get in and choose to stay at A&M) I'll either need to take a 10 week physiology course over the summer before starting vet school, or I won't finish my bachelor's degree. Decisions...

I e-mailed that prof about the anatomy software also. Hopefully I'll get my hands on a copy of it soon.

Let us know how the email goes!! I'd loooooove to get a copy of it as well!!