Anatomy and physiology as a prerequisite???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which dental schools require students to take anatomy and physiology as one of the prerequisite classes?

I am applying this up coming cycle (end of my junior year) and I don't think I have space in my schedule to fit in anatomy and physiology 1 and 2 for senior year.

Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't believe A&P is a prereq but most if not all dental schools will say that it is a recommended class. Can you fit it in during the summer?

Not a complete list but...

Midwestern AZ
Midwestern Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
North Carolina wants anatomy and the lab

There could be others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Crap I didn't realize some schools require the lab. I'm taking the lecture now. Do you think it would be okay to take the lab even after I apply? Are most schools okay with allowing prereqs to be taken after application?

How about psychology as a pre req?? I've only taken sociology

I'm pretty sure most dental schools want all the prerequisites done the spring semester before entering. However, having most of the prerequisites done before you apply is preferable (usually the material on the DAT like Gen. Chem. Biology, Organic Chemistry).

Reactions: 1 user
How about psychology as a pre req?? I've only taken sociology

I believe Michigan requires sociology. Some schools require psychology, some don't. Those that don't require it recommend taking it.

would comparative anatomy or primate anatomy cover the anatomy prereq?

Crap I didn't realize some schools require the lab. I'm taking the lecture now. Do you think it would be okay to take the lab even after I apply? Are most schools okay with allowing prereqs to be taken after application?
As long as you complete it before matriculating.

On the top of my head, I only know that Indiana and UNC require anatomy lab.

Ohio State requires the labs if it is combined with the lecture. If it is separate, then it is not required.

As long as you complete it before matriculating.

On the top of my head, I only know that Indiana and UNC require anatomy lab.

Ohio State requires the labs if it is combined with the lecture. If it is separate, then it is not required.

Thanks for your response. what do you mean when you say if the lab is separate? For example, if you get a separate grade for it? I didn't realize all labs weren't like that. Perhaps some schools combine the lecture and lab grade?

Yea I am waiting for the new edition of ADEA guide to Dental Schools to come out! I need to figure out which schools are OOS friendly ( I am a NY resident).

Thanks for your response. what do you mean when you say if the lab is separate? For example, if you get a separate grade for it? I didn't realize all labs weren't like that. Perhaps some schools combine the lecture and lab grade?
That means the lab is not combined with the lecture and you get separate grades that will go on your transcript.

They are separate classes.

If the lab and lecture are combined, then it will usually be denoted as a 4 or 5 credit course or however a school does it. You will get separate grades BUT the grades are combined for the class and you get one grade on your transcript. (ex. the lab component is 20% of the course grade, the lecture 80%). Hope this helps.

That means the lab is not combined with the lecture and you get separate grades that will go on your transcript.

If the lab and lecture are combined, then it will usually be denoted as a 4 or 5 credit course or however a school does it. You will get separate grades BUT the grades are combined for the class and you get one grade on your transcript. (ex. the lab component is 20% of the course grade, the lecture 80%). Hope this helps.

Yep that helps explain it, thank you. At my college, it has always been where the lecture is 3 credit and lab 1 credit. Two separate grades on transcript. With that said, Ohio State will accept just the lecture? Where would I find info like that for future reference? I looked in the ADEA guide, but do not see where it specifies something like that. It just says lab required.

Yep thank you that helps a lot!

Yep that helps explain it, thank you. At my college, it has always been where the lecture is 3 credit and lab 1 credit. Two separate grades on transcript. With that said, Ohio State will accept just the lecture? Where would I find info like that for future reference? I looked in the ADEA guide, but do not see where it specifies something like that. It just says lab required.

Yep thank you that helps a lot!
Yes Ohio state will just accept the lecture.

Source: https://dent.osu.edu/prospective-st...dds-students/admissions-process/prerequisites

Bottom of page.

Guess I was wrong then lol
It is extremely important for those applying to actually research dental schools that interest them and write down the GPAs, DAT, shadowing requirement, LOR requirements, price, and prereqs, and other necessary information into a spreadsheet for better organization.

The ADEA guidebook, respective school websites, and information from admissions counselors are all important resources. Use them as needed to figure out what needs to be done have a successful application cycle.

ADEA guide most of dental school recommended anatomy and physiology and you need them for DAT