Anatomy Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QRMCAT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The school that I'm taking my prereqs at do separate classes for anatomy and physiology. From what I hear it would be easier to take anatomy before physiology... my question is if I don't take anatomy would I do fine in physiology? How much of anatomy would help me? Is anatomy something I could just study on my own? I'm wondering because I don't have the money to spend (I'm doing non-degree so paying out of pocket) and if I don't need anatomy I would rather take a microbiology class (after having taken gen biology and physiology, of course) because it seems much more interesting to me.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The school that I'm taking my prereqs at do separate classes for anatomy and physiology. From what I hear it would be easier to take anatomy before physiology... my question is if I don't take anatomy would I do fine in physiology? How much of anatomy would help me? Is anatomy something I could just study on my own? I'm wondering because I don't have the money to spend (I'm doing non-degree so paying out of pocket) and if I don't need anatomy I would rather take a microbiology class (after having taken gen biology and physiology, of course) because it seems much more interesting to me.

Thanks in advance!
Taking anatomy first, you'll be familiar with the structures (anatomy) before you learn their function (physiology). If you take physiology and have no idea what a loop of henle is, you'll have to learn what it is first before you can actually start studying the physiology of how it concentrates your urine. If you don't know the chambers of the heart (anatomy) then you'll have to learn them before you can learn how the heart actually pumps blood.

It's not absolutely necessary to take anatomy first, but it would make your life easier.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this for post bac? Most schools near me offer A&P together. But this isn't required by MD schools. So if you wanted to skip A&P all together and take microbiology as an upper level course. On a related note- if I haven't taken bio in many years and enrolled in A&P would I be lost? Do you need bio first?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this for post bac? Most schools near me offer A&P together. But this isn't required by MD schools. So if you wanted to skip A&P all together and take microbiology as an upper level course. On a related note- if I haven't taken bio in many years and enrolled in A&P would I be lost? Do you need bio first?

Bio is more molecular and cell. I had a great bio teacher that taught a bunch of fundamental concepts. A&P is rote memorization of either anatomy or if you're lucky, more on the physiology side.

I will say that depending on your program Anatomy may be extremely helpful for your success once you are in (or not). My school does an accelerated curriculum so anatomy gets squished a bit. The students who had anatomy before did much better. Microbio is also helpful and often a required class. Physiology is great and obviously more fun but maybe less helpful since you spend so much time on this in med school. This is just my experience, so obviously different schools have different focuses. I got a job on campus and it helped me get 1/2 price on classes after a while. There are also sometimes teachers who will let you sit in and not enroll (if you get to know them sometimes they are chill). Maybe look outside the box and see what works for you! GL it is a tough position to be in!!

@popopopop yea i am not sure why i've been told to take bio first.

My guess is just to get you prepared for the amount of volume in the class.

Back to OP, for the MCAT, very little A&P involved. I say that having both A&P and a 4000 level human physiology class at my uni. If there was more a&p, I would destroy the MCAT. Microbiology topics would have a higher yield to be tested on on the MCAT.

Alright, thanks for the replies everyone!