Anatomy Coloring Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which anatomy coloring book to buy? Please explain...

• Kapit and Elson "The Anatomy Coloring Book (4th edition)"

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Netter's Anatomy Coloring Book: with Student Consult Access, 2e (Netter Basic Science)

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • other... please list below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MedGrl@2022

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have Netter's atlas and flash cards. I think coloring might help me remember the muscle groups better though. Please let me know what you think. In my medical school, Anatomy is self-taught too. No lectures, just independent dissection lab.

Members don't see this ad.

Used the colouring book and annotated anything I thought was necessary from the blue boxes in clinically orientated anatomy.

Your class structure sounds interesting. Do you like it? Good luck with the coloring.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your class structure sounds interesting. Do you like it? Good luck with the coloring.

Not really. I really wish there was more lecture regarding anatomy and guiding with the dissections. I am surprised by the amount of self-directed learning there is in my medical school. Apparently in a lot of classes they just sorta tell you to learn about {insert subject here}. It makes it a little challenging to try and figure out what the professors want and what is most important. But I am adapting. Its not like someone is going to be telling us what to learn when we are physicians so it is realistic I suppose.

I used Thieme, both atlas and text. I have the Thieme flashcards as well. I use Netter's coloring book as a nice relaxing activity that happens to help solidify what I learned in the other resources. The Thieme text is well organized.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as Kapit and Elson "The Anatomy Coloring Book (4th edition)":

hated-it_o_GIFSoup.com.gif

+1 for Netter's coloring book!

You'll probably be better off drawing the muscles from memory. Keep trying until you can do it without looking at an atlas.

I use the Kapit/Elson Coloring Book as a supplement to the Theime that our curriculum uses. I think it's really useful in reinforcing the material I've learned or dissected - the actual process of coloring a muscle while processing where it attaches, its function, its relative location to other structures (etc.) is very helpful for me!

My school has access to Netter's online atlas. The online atlas lets us download plates for free with our choice of label and lines, lines only, and no labels no lines. I grab the lines-no labels images, copy them to Word, change the color to B&W, lighten them, and then color the photocopies with prismacolor pencils. I like this better than a coloring book. I also draw muscles around just bones this way. Netter has an isolated spine AP and lat view I use a lot. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Not really. I really wish there was more lecture regarding anatomy and guiding with the dissections. I am surprised by the amount of self-directed learning there is in my medical school. Apparently in a lot of classes they just sorta tell you to learn about {insert subject here}. It makes it a little challenging to try and figure out what the professors want and what is most important. But I am adapting. Its not like someone is going to be telling us what to learn when we are physicians so it is realistic I suppose.
I don't think the lecture is necessary (at least the way it is taught at my school). However, that class would have been a complete mess if I did not have someone to guide me with dissection (we actually have two prof for the lab). Both of them are excellent.

If someone can confirm that there will be another class more challenging than anatomy, I am quitting med school now. What a ****ty class! The practical exams are ok, but the course exams are horrible--with these X-rays, MRI, CT scan images that are impossible to interpret.

Last edited: