Anatomy Flash Cards???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coloradohockey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all current med students, from your experience what are the best anatomy flash cards you have used to study for gross anatomy? Any advice on this would be helpful as I plan on purchasing a set in a month or so to look over a week or two before classes begin. I heard Netter's were pretty good but didnt know if there were better ones out there? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Coloradohockey said:
To all current med students, from your experience what are the best anatomy flash cards you have used to study for gross anatomy? Any advice on this would be helpful as I plan on purchasing a set in a month or so to look over a week or two before classes begin. I heard Netter's were pretty good but didnt know if there were better ones out there? Thanks!

I thought the Netter flashcards were pretty helpful, especially as a way to get myself to start studying for an exam. I'd recommend buying them.

But, you don't need to start looking at them this summer! It could be good to know what your school is going to emphasize, or where in the body you're going to start.

I never used flashcards for anatomy, so I can't offer advice there. I don't remember seeing that many people use them either. But you should definitely not waste time studying for anatomy before the class starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that the Netter cards are pretty good, BUT you MUST NOT look at them until class starts. If you do Frank Netter himself will come down from heaven and bonk you over the head with the whole box.

There is also a nice CD ROM with the Moore Anatomy Textbook that is pretty good. The Netter cards are great!

I bought the Netter flash cards, but didn't think they were that useful actually. I know a lot of people think they're great, but I never used them.

For the love of God, enjoy your summer. Trust me, looking at flashcards early will NOT help you prepare. Seriously, enjoy yourself this summer. Don't be "that guy" (or "that girl") You'll regret it if you don't.

The 2 things you need for anatomy are the Netter's flashcards and Moore's anatomy book. Studying during the summer won't do you any good.

Coloradohockey said:

Use the netter cards, its also helps buying a small scale skeleton model helped me alot as well. It depends if you are supposed to learn the names on latin or anglolatin. I think Netter is the only one having the "correct" latin form anyways.

Full disclosure: I am an employee for Thieme Publishers, so you will have to decide whether to take this post at face value.

Like the Netter's flash cards, Thieme offers flash cards in both English and Latin Nomenclature. Check them out on our [thread=694166]SDN public thread here[/thread].

Barron's flash cards are good for review ( i used 2nd edition), and come with functional explanations as well as free online access to computerized review if you want to look at things from a multidimensional aspect.

Don't get Rohen's Photographic Anatomy Flashcards. They're good quality, it's just too bad they didn't label 4x the amount of muscles, bones, and landmarks.

Not worth it.

I think the Netter ones are pretty incomplete, akshully.

I bought Netters flashcards but gave up after a few days because I had to add so many arrows to them with my sharpie. Not enough (or the right things) were labelled for my studies. So....I have a box with about 20 cards all marked up and the rest untouched. I'd resell the darn things if I hadn't written all over some of them. Oh well.... So, mine were a waste of $$. Studying the atlas worked much better for me.

I'd actually make review powerpoints using images from lecture or online sources.

I find that actually making your own study materials is one of the best ways to learn it. Half the time I don't even end up using them. Just the process of making them was often enough for me to absorb the material. Plus, I felt I could fly through a review powerpoint tons faster then flipping through flashcards.

I'd actually make review powerpoints using images from lecture or online sources.

I find that actually making your own study materials is one of the best ways to learn it. Half the time I don't even end up using them. Just the process of making them was often enough for me to absorb the material. Plus, I felt I could fly through a review powerpoint tons faster then flipping through flashcards.

That's a great idea.

I'm actually in the process of turning all my notes electronic.

Good stuff.

I bought Netters flashcards but gave up after a few days because I had to add so many arrows to them with my sharpie. Not enough (or the right things) were labelled for my studies. So....I have a box with about 20 cards all marked up and the rest untouched. I'd resell the darn things if I hadn't written all over some of them. Oh well.... So, mine were a waste of $$. Studying the atlas worked much better for me.

Exactly.

For the love of God, enjoy your summer. Trust me, looking at flashcards early will NOT help you prepare. Seriously, enjoy yourself this summer. Don't be "that guy" (or "that girl") You'll regret it if you don't.

AFG-070725-003.jpg

I've tried the Netter's flash cards and I didn't really find them helpful. I'm sure there are several other companies that make anatomy flash cards, how useful they are I don't know.

Forget the flashcards and stick to the real deal --Netters Atlas (and Rohens for dissections etc.)

I liked netters flashcards. They are not detailed but if you use them with the netters Atlas then it works well.