Anatomy - Lower Div or Upper Div?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pomeranian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is human anatomy considered a lower division or upper division science class by vet schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go by the number designation in the course. 100-200 (or 1000-2000's) are typically lower level. 300-400+ (or 3000-4000+) are typically upper level.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it an elective at your institution? It was at mine. Usually, science electives are upper-level courses since you're supposed to be getting your core science classes done during your underclassman years. But yeah, check the course number.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a lower-division course at my 4-year institution. I already graduated though and I'm considering taking anatomy at a community college, and it's also a lower-division course there. I just want to make sure that vet schools will accept it since many of them will only accept upper-division courses if they're taken at a 4-year university. Since it's lower-division at the community college I want to take it at, they should be able to accept it right?

It's a lower-division course at my 4-year institution. I already graduated though and I'm considering taking anatomy at a community college, and it's also a lower-division course there. I just want to make sure that vet schools will accept it since many of them will only accept upper-division courses if they're taken at a 4-year university. Since it's lower-division at the community college I want to take it at, they should be able to accept it right?

Any time you're unsure about whether they will accept the course or not, you should be asking the admissions departments at the schools you're interested in. That's the only way to know for sure.

Is it actually a pre-req at a school you are applying to? Usually the "upper-division courses must be taken at a 4 year university" policy only applies to pre-reqs. I haven't actually seen any schools require anatomy. But definitely check with the schools you are applying to, they will be happy to let you know if they will accept a course.

Is it actually a pre-req at a school you are applying to? Usually the "upper-division courses must be taken at a 4 year university" policy only applies to pre-reqs. I haven't actually seen any schools require anatomy. But definitely check with the schools you are applying to, they will be happy to let you know if they will accept a course.
I'm not sure about other schools, but Iowa State at least requires either an anatomy or physiology course:
Mammalian Anatomy and/or Physiology*
(no lab required) Human anatomy and physiology will fulfill this requirement. A single course in anatomy or physiology is preferred over an anatomy/physiology combined course.
via http://vetmed.iastate.edu/academics/prospective-students/admissions/courses/gre-requirements

@pomeranian I personally took a 5 credit 300-level Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy course with lab over Human Anatomy. It thought that it was actually super interesting, as we looked at differences and similarities in both anatomy and physiology between fish, birds, amphibians, reptiles, and mammals. It's a pretty difficult class, but I learned a ton! If your school offers something like that, perhaps look into it? If you wind up needing one that's upper division, I mean.

But, yeah, I agree with the others: you'll find the most correct answer by contacting the schools you're interested in yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user