Anatomy products

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone recommend any certain products other than textbooks for studying anatomy or physiology? Like certain coloring books, games, flashcards or other products? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

BRS Anatomy ---> Don't leave home without it.

And netter, which is just a given.

But, do a search, this has been brought up a million times.

As a text I really liked Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore and Dalley. But I wouldn't buy this until you know whether your school will be using it or not. I highly recommend High-Yield Gross Anatomy and High-Yield Embryology. And of course, First Aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
ddmoore54 said:
BRS Anatomy ---> Don't leave home without it.

And netter, which is just a given.

But, do a search, this has been brought up a million times.
I used both of these nearly exclusively along with practice questions from UMICH whcih are very good for general understanding and spacial relationships. I honored and did very well on the NBME with much less effort than most of my classmates using the required texts. Moore is a neat book, but way too time consuming IMO.

Netter CD rom (instead of the book) and Netter Flash Cards

BRS is Key.

Although Moore is pretty good, there is just too much detail to study from. So much so, that it can be difficult to distinguish what is good detail and what is useless. Most anatomy tests love factoid minutia that you would probably never even think of even if you did know Moore really well. Like, what artery goes under this nerve, or other stuff like that. BRS is helpfull because it succinctly gives a lot of these factoids. Can't tell you how many times I found stuff in there that wasn't in the notes and ended up on the exam.

The Netter flash cards helped me a lot, and I found out about the CD too late. I agree that Moore's a great book, but it's ridiculously indepth. I skimmed it for class, but for the NBME, I used high yield anatomy and embryology (they're about 100 pages each and can be read in 1 or 2 days) and did fine. There's supposedly a different atlas out there that uses cadaveric images - Rohen, I think. I didn't use it but some folks like it.

BRS Anatomy, HY Embryo, Netter's Atlas, and First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 (for the shelf). Spend more time looking at prosections and other people's cadavers and less time dissecting and you will do well in the lab.

Man In The Box said:
Spend more time looking at prosections and other people's cadavers and less time dissecting and you will do well in the lab.

This is true! You can ace the anatomy practical exams if you spend a few solid days reviewing the dissections before the exam. The written exams are a different story.

skypilot said:
This is true! You can ace the anatomy practical exams if you spend a few solid days reviewing the dissections before the exam. The written exams are a different story.
I tried three different ways to study for paracticals in both anatomy and histo. Spending lots of time in the lab with other people's cadavers got me a 94 and I hate the effin' cadaver lab. Using netter exclusively to review got me a 93. If you can go easily from 2D to 3D, then save yourself the missery of being in the lab extra hours. Same for histo.... if you can go from atlas to scope with little difficulty then avoid the additional eye strain. My $0.02

thackl said:
I tried three different ways to study for paracticals in both anatomy and histo. Spending lots of time in the lab with other people's cadavers got me a 94 and I hate the effin' cadaver lab. Using netter exclusively to review got me a 93. If you can go easily from 2D to 3D, then save yourself the missery of being in the lab extra hours. Same for histo.... if you can go from atlas to scope with little difficulty then avoid the additional eye strain. My $0.02

Same for me ... all I did was study my Netter and a photographic atlas I bought. It was a lot more effective than going to chill in the Gross lab with all my classmates at 3 am the week before exams. I also always went through my dissection term lists several times right before exams so that I would know the exact wording our professors were looking for. That kept it fresh in my mind too.

Regardless, in addition to Netter I highly recommend a photographic atlas. Then you can correlate Netter with real dissections while you're sitting comfortably on the couch at home not lab. *** I got Lippincott's 5th edition Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body by Rohen, etc. from Barnes and Noble

digitiminimi said:
in addition to Netter I highly recommend a photographic atlas. Then you can correlate Netter with real dissections while you're sitting comfortably on the couch at home not lab. *** I got Lippincott's 5th edition Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body by Rohen, etc. from Barnes and Noble
I bought Rohen, then never used it..... but I did go to every lab disection. If I hadn't, Rohen would have gotten more use.

thackl said:
I bought Rohen, then never used it..... but I did go to every lab disection. If I hadn't, Rohen would have gotten more use.

Yeah I went to every dissection, but i didn't feel like going back for TA hours and on my own to study them after 10-12 hrs/wk in there already. That's where Rohen came in handy reviewing for me.

Plus I didn't want to have to take Netter in there and get it all spooged up.

netter flash cards, BRS anatomy, BRS phys (this book got me through 1st semester phys).............