Ancef to PCN allergic patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasknight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a patient with a convincing PCN allergy, though not anaphylaxis, can you still give cefazolin? I've read the estimated cross reactivity between PCN and first gen cephalosporins is ~ 2-7% (and probably even lower for non-IgE mediated allergies), so what's the common pre-incision antibiotic choice for this patient?

Members don't see this ad.

if its just a rash i still give ancef slower than usual. if severe allergy then clindamycin

For a patient with a convincing PCN allergy, though not anaphylaxis, can you still give cefazolin? I've read the estimated cross reactivity between PCN and first gen cephalosporins is ~ 2-7% (and probably even lower for non-IgE mediated allergies), so what's the common pre-incision antibiotic choice for this patient?

I had surgery Monday and it took ages to find one - they eventually gave me clindamycin. No problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Early studies that showed cross-reactivity between PCNs and cephalosporins used cephalosporins that were contaminated with PCN spores. Anything short of clear histamine release secondary to PCN administration in the history (anaphylaxis, hives) shouldn't preclude the use of cephalosporins. That said, anybody with any sort of PCN allergy seems to get clinda.

Reactions: 1 user