And this is why I can't go into SA general med...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhmhtd

℅ something somewhere eventually
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do small animals need vaccines yearly? NO! but they do need them on a regular basis, possibly every 3 years and titres should be done at least every 3 years to see where they stand on immunity. I do agree that yearly is excessive tbh and unnecessary. Vaccines for puppies/kittens are essential but once the animals reach adulthood we can go to a q3yr basis w/o issue. Any practice doing yearly boosters is looking for profit IMO.

Pretty sure the AVMA changed their vaccine protocols to 3 years for DHPP and others recently, so not sure this article is completely off base. I won't bother reading comments. That is just a sure-fire way to get upset.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do small animals need vaccines yearly? NO! but they do need them on a regular basis, possibly every 3 years and titres should be done at least every 3 years to see where they stand on immunity. I do agree that yearly is excessive tbh and unnecessary. Vaccines for puppies/kittens are essential but once the animals reach adulthood we can go to a q3yr basis w/o issue. Any practice doing yearly boosters is looking for profit IMO.

Depending on the vaccine.... (Lepto, for example). :)

And I agree... vaccines every 3 years, minus the ones that have to be yearly and only for those patients that are at risk as those tend to be non-core vaccines.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, have to remember vaccine manufacturer protocols. What is the vaccine licensed as? 1 year, 3 year? Manufacturers have guidelines as well that have to be followed, if they are not and a pet contracts one of those diseases despite being vaccinated then the manufacturer will not back up for treatment of the disease.

Hopefully, we will see all of them going to a 3 year status soon, but some are still at one year.

Every three years is one thing, but they're suggesting every 7. Are the anti-vaxxers transitioning their agenda to the veterinary world now?! :yeahright:

Also, have to remember vaccine manufacturer protocols. What is the vaccine licensed as? 1 year, 3 year? Manufacturers have guidelines as well that have to be followed, if they are not and a pet contracts one of those diseases despite being vaccinated then the manufacturer will not back up for treatment of the disease.

Hopefully, we will see all of them going to a 3 year status soon, but some are still at one year.
Some of the cat ones are starting to be labeled for 2 years. The problem is that they won't guarantee unless they have studies that show that the pets survive challenge tests at that many years out and those are expensive to run and hard to do long term

Some of the cat ones are starting to be labeled for 2 years. The problem is that they won't guarantee unless they have studies that show that the pets survive challenge tests at that many years out and those are expensive to run and hard to do long term

Yeah. That is unfortunate.

If it is licensed for 2 years, will they still guarantee that length of time?

Yeah. That is unfortunate.

If it is licensed for 2 years, will they still guarantee that length of time?
Yes. Its pretty new for things like FeLV but they guarantee to the labeled time on the vaccine. So Rabies 3 yr is good for 3 years, but the Rabies 1 yr is good for 1 yr (even though they are essentially the same)

Yes. Its pretty new for things like FeLV but they guarantee to the labeled time on the vaccine. So Rabies 3 yr is good for 3 years, but the Rabies 1 yr is good for 1 yr (even though they are essentially the same)

Ok, that is what I figured. Yeah, not sure I understand the purpose of the different 1 year vs. 3 year rabies vaccine. Guess the 1 year is to use as a first time vaccine? :shrug:

I just hate the thought of some poor dog contracting a preventable disease b/c of an uneducated owner. This kind of stuff tells people that vaccination is really not that important and all vets want to do is take your money, further encouraging people to not seek veterinary care. I am glad I want to go into a specialty.... probably much less of this.

Ok, that is what I figured. Yeah, not sure I understand the purpose of the different 1 year vs. 3 year rabies vaccine. Guess the 1 year is to use as a first time vaccine? :shrug:
yeah, and some places ONLY do it for the income. Which is really unfortunate. I only buy 3 yr vaccines and booster after the first year for rabies and distemper/parvo

Members don't see this ad :)
My work does the same as dyachei's, except we recently switched to the 1-year non adjuvanted feline rabies. We would do the 3-year ImRab if the owner asked though.

My work does the same as dyachei's, except we recently switched to the 1-year non adjuvanted feline rabies. We would do the 3-year ImRab if the owner asked though.
i'm still up in the air about that - any irritation can cause VAS, yes? Not just adjuvants. So is it better to give non-adjuvanted once a year or stick with a needle every three years?

I think sometimes it very much depends on the situation the animal is in as well. E.g. both my animals are senior, my cat is 100% indoors, my dog never interacts with other dogs (she is fear aggressive) so I have them on the reduced vax schedule (combos every 3 yrs, rabies every 3 yrs). But if you had a household with 4 cats and fosters rotating in and out, I would be more inclined to vax every 1-2 yrs.

Reactions: 4 users
I think sometimes it very much depends on the situation the animal is in as well. E.g. both my animals are senior, my cat is 100% indoors, my dog never interacts with other dogs (she is fear aggressive) so I have them on the reduced vax schedule (combos every 3 yrs, rabies every 3 yrs). But if you had a household with 4 cats and fosters rotating in and out, I would be more inclined to vax every 1-2 yrs.
Agree 100%.
Also, I want to go into pathology, which I know you're in (I tend to stalk SDN when I'm procrastinating :whistle:)..... Did you want to go into Path from the get go??

For the vaccines that are yearly (lepto) combined with non yearly (DA2PPC) (so the vaccine we use is DA2PPCL), does it usually end up being cheaper for the clinic to keep the vaccines combined instead of buying two separate vaccines? As for running titres to check immunity, wouldn't that arguably be just as expensive for the client? I've never seen a price on a titre, and I'm assuming bloodwork would be more expensive than a vaccine.

I just hate the thought of some poor dog contracting a preventable disease b/c of an uneducated owner. This kind of stuff tells people that vaccination is really not that important and all vets want to do is take your money, further encouraging people to not seek veterinary care. I am glad I want to go into a specialty.... probably much less of this.

If the science says that vaccinating every 40 years still protects them...why not save the owner the cost? As WTF mentioned, a lot depends on the circumstances. Up here, we were talking about how Lyme and Lepto is only by request (back home in MD it's done for everyone) and rabies isn't mandated by law (and only outdoor cats or dogs are really considered, even though there is no rabies up here). Literature is suggesting cats over 3 don't need FeLV anymore. So lots of animals are walking around with one vaccine every three years. It sounds bad, sure, but if you stop and look at it more closely, it makes sense.

We only did Lepto and K9 influenza by request. I'm not sure our clinic even carried a Lyme vaccine. In Florida it's illegal to not vaccinate for rabies. I'm all about science, and whatever the data says, I'll believe. I just got irritated that this particular article was almost bashing vets, then ppl in the comments were saying things like how evil vets and how many animals their vet has killed, blah blah blah. That was my issue. Not all vets are out to get your money, and this made it seem that way and suggested a negative stigma towards veterinary medicine.

Not all vets are out to get your money, and this made it seem that way and suggested a negative stigma towards veterinary medicine.

You are going to come upon a lot of these articles and people that think this way. Sometimes, you have to just shrug it off and know that you are doing what is right for the animals in your care. There are people out there that do not think vets are evil and out to get your money.

Reactions: 4 users
Agree 100%.
Also, I want to go into pathology, which I know you're in (I tend to stalk SDN when I'm procrastinating :whistle:)..... Did you want to go into Path from the get go??
Not wanting to highjack your question or WTFs answer (or this thread in general), but I recently ventured over into the Veterinary forum and found an amazing thread where WTF and twelvetigers put out lots of great info about pathology.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-does-a-veterinary-pathologist-do.773940/
Might curb your pathology curiosity until WTF can get back to you :D
PS. I loved reading that thread. I had never put much thought into pathology before, but now I'm very excited to dabble into the basics in vet school and see how much I like it.

We only did Lepto and K9 influenza by request. I'm not sure our clinic even carried a Lyme vaccine. In Florida it's illegal to not vaccinate for rabies. I'm all about science, and whatever the data says, I'll believe. I just got irritated that this particular article was almost bashing vets, then ppl in the comments were saying things like how evil vets and how many animals their vet has killed, blah blah blah. That was my issue. Not all vets are out to get your money, and this made it seem that way and suggested a negative stigma towards veterinary medicine.
No, it's illegal for owners to not get their pet vaccinated - they can be fined. It's not illegal for us to not vaccinate every pet that comes through the door.

I carry a lyme vaccine because people travel but it is by request only. I also carry lepto and influenza. My tech's dog almost died from lepto in the area so I want to make sure dogs are getting appropriate protection. Basically I let the owners know it is their choice. The vaccine guarantees will only cover the animal if you go by the labeled use. So if they prefer titers, fine, but if something happens, it is on their dime.

No, it's illegal for owners to not get their pet vaccinated - they can be fined. It's not illegal for us to not vaccinate every pet that comes through the door.

I carry a lyme vaccine because people travel but it is by request only. I also carry lepto and influenza. My tech's dog almost died from lepto in the area so I want to make sure dogs are getting appropriate protection. Basically I let the owners know it is their choice. The vaccine guarantees will only cover the animal if you go by the labeled use. So if they prefer titers, fine, but if something happens, it is on their dime.

Yeah, that is what I meant. It is illegal to not have your animal vaccinated. I only ever saw 1 client opt for titres instead of vaccines. Is that becoming more common?

Not wanting to highjack your question or WTFs answer (or this thread in general), but I recently ventured over into the Veterinary forum and found an amazing thread where WTF and twelvetigers put out lots of great info about pathology.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-does-a-veterinary-pathologist-do.773940/
PS. I loved reading that thread. I had never put much thought into pathology before, but now I'm very excited to dabble into the basics in vet school and see how much I like it.
Ooh cool! Yeah I am a lab rat, love microscopes and diseases and the whole behind the scenes thing. I realized general practice was NOT for me after working at a vet clinic for a year.

Yeah, that is what I meant. It is illegal to not have your animal vaccinated. I only ever saw 1 client opt for titres instead of vaccines. Is that becoming more common?
no.

but illegal is kind of a strong word since it is legal to have a vet say that the vaccination shouldn't happen b/c it's bad for their health.

no.

but illegal is kind of a strong word since it is legal to have a vet say that the vaccination shouldn't happen b/c it's bad for their health.
true that. we usually didn't vaccinate older patients, so yeah that makes sense.

Agree 100%.

Nope. I didn't even know pathology was a specialty of vet med until we had our Pathology class 2nd year!

I was a late-comer to vet med in general. I never even considered it until halfway through college, just thought "Oh well, got my Biochem degree, gonna go get a PhD in Biochem now I guess, bleh" and then discovered that vets could do a lot more than general practice. I had tons of research experience, very little clinical (I basically worked in a clinic for a few months just to say I had). I planned to either be a research vet or an exotics vet when I started.

I also discovered I LOVED food animal medicine while in vet school, and actually debated doing a FA residency, but pathology won. Funny cause I grew up in a suburb of DC and never touched a cow until probably our first clinical skills lab in vet school!! Be prepared to become interested in unexpected things, you get exposed to a lot!

I could never do SA general practice though. Dealing with clients all day would exhaust me emotionally and mentally. I have a lot of admiration for those who can do it.

Last edited:

tumblr_inline_mph28gXzf51qz4rgp.gif

I have such mad respect for pathologists. They know everything about everything and all that I've ever met have been so excited to teach and share and they're awesome. (One of our clin path profs took time out of her work this morning to look over a patient's slide with me this morning, so I'm feeling extra gooey :D)

I have such mad respect for pathologists. They know everything about everything and all that I've ever met have been so excited to teach and share and they're awesome. (One of our clin path profs took time out of her work this morning to look over a patient's slide with me this morning, so I'm feeling extra gooey :D)

As opposed to the normal level of gooey?

Guise.

TRH really DOESN'T have a soul....

tumblr_m1gd0xk4Om1rpyo16o1_400.gif

Reactions: 1 users
I
Nope. I didn't even know pathology was a specialty of vet med until we had our Pathology class 2nd year!

I was a late-comer to vet med in general. I never even considered it until halfway through college, just thought "Oh well, got my Biochem degree, gonna go get a PhD in Biochem now I guess, bleh" and then discovered that vets could do a lot more than general practice. I had tons of research experience, very little clinical (I basically worked in a clinic for a few months just to say I had). I planned to either be a research vet or an exotics vet when I started.

I also discovered I LOVED food animal medicine while in vet school, and actually debated doing a FA residency, but pathology won. Funny cause I grew up in a suburb of DC and never touched a cow until probably our first clinical skills lab in vet school!! Be prepared to become interested in unexpected things, you get exposed to a lot!

I could never do SA general practice though. Dealing with clients all day would exhaust me emotionally and mentally. I have a lot of admiration for those who can do it.
I was pre-vet at the start of college, got a job at a SA clinic and did not like it. I discovered how much I loooooved doing the behind the scenes stuff, which really surprised me. I had never thought looking at poop could be so exciting. Anyway, I honestly could not deal with the emotional and mental stress from all the clients, as you said. It is in a not so nice part of town, so I don't know if that's what it was, but it was not a good experience. Vets were awesome, clients not so much. I ran away from vet med and now 2 years later, I've learned about the opportunities outside of general practice and so that's what I want to do. I am interested in path, diagnostics in general, academia, and perhaps research. I mainly want something more science-y and mentally challenging, less client oriented. I do worry about job prospects for the vet field in general, but I also don't have an alternative route which would get me to my end goal.
I know I probably sound cynical-- I CAN communicate and interact very well with any type of person, I just prefer not to with a lot of people.

It's completely understandable. People always tell me "Come on WTF, you're not an introvert! You're so talkative, upbeat, etc"....but the problem is, even thought I *like* interacting, it completely exhausts me when I have to deal with people all day. I mean go home and curl up on the couch and not talk for the rest of the evening type of exhaustion.

The hubs initially wanted to be a vet as well before we met. He told me afterwards that he eventually realized that the reason he wanted to do it was because he loved interacting with animals and not with people, and that he'd make a pretty bad vet because of that :laugh: He went into bioinformatics instead ;)

It's completely understandable. People always tell me "Come on WTF, you're not an introvert! You're so talkative, upbeat, etc"....but the problem is, even thought I *like* interacting, it completely exhausts me when I have to deal with people all day. I mean go home and curl up on the couch and not talk for the rest of the evening type of exhaustion.

The hubs initially wanted to be a vet as well before we met. He told me afterwards that he eventually realized that the reason he wanted to do it was because he loved interacting with animals and not with people, and that he'd make a pretty bad vet because of that :laugh: He went into bioinformatics instead ;)
Yep, that's how I am. Lab rats unite!
Bioinformatics is a huge field! It's only going to grow with advances in genetic/molecular biology.

i'm still up in the air about that - any irritation can cause VAS, yes? Not just adjuvants. So is it better to give non-adjuvanted once a year or stick with a needle every three years?
Yeah I am kind of up in the air about it so I just go with the clinic policy since I don't have a strong opinion. I'm not sure that we will know the answer until the new vaccine has been out long enough for kitties to get old and get sarcomas (or not, hopefully).

Yeah I am kind of up in the air about it so I just go with the clinic policy since I don't have a strong opinion. I'm not sure that we will know the answer until the new vaccine has been out long enough for kitties to get old and get sarcomas (or not, hopefully).
Well, I also hear that eventually there will be a 3 year purevax. I'd be happy to jump on that. But again, we will see

Oh and to answer a question upthread, we stock DA2PP and Lepto, no DA2PPL. At school they had all 3. Cost effectiveness is gonna depend on how many of your patients are getting lepto vaccinated and how many vaccines you go through and what company you order from etc.

Maybe this would interest you guys. It's 4 part video interview with Dr. Ronald Schultz - Professor and Chair, Department of Pathobiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Science at the University of Wisconsin – Madison. In short - there's no reason any vets should be recommending yearly vaccinations. I know it's a touchy topic and I'm not going to attempt to infer why many veterinarians are still recommending yearly (or even two or three years) in light of what is known about vaccines.

Part I:

Part II:

Part III:

Part IV:

Here are the vaccine guidelines which state that the duration of immunity for the vaccines is MUCH longer than one (or even three) years:

"Among healthy dogs all commercial distemper vaccines are suspected to induce a sustained protective immune response lasting at least 5 years."

"Among healthy dogs all commercially available MLV-CPV-2 vaccines are expected to induce a sustained protective immune response lasting at least 5 years."

[Emphasis Mine]

https://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/CanineVaccineGuidelines.pdf

This is interesting-- I'll have to watch them!

They are still recommending them based on the instructions on the vaccines themselves. To get coverage if something were to happen, you have to follow the labeled instructions. That's why vets recommend vaccines yearly or triannually.

Also rabies is required to be given so often per local law.

They are still recommending them based on the instructions on the vaccines themselves. To get coverage if something were to happen, you have to follow the labeled instructions. That's why vets recommend vaccines yearly or triannually.

Also rabies is required to be given so often per local law.

This.

Vaccines are labelled for a specific time period (usually 1, 2 or 3 years). You have to follow that label otherwise the manufacturer of the vaccine will not pay for treatments should your pet contract one of the diseases.

Also, most people get so focused on the word "vaccine" that they think the longer immunity holds true for all vaccines, which is not true for things like lepto and bordetella.

Reactions: 1 users
Never thought I'd learn so much from this thread :p
I love learning about this kinda stuff.

@WhtsThFrequency -- slightly off topic, but figured you know. Is a DVM/PhD frowned upon if I intend to do a path residency (or any residency, really)? I know a lot of residencies incorporate a PhD into it. Already having one might pose a problem I would think. Just curious....

We had one resident who already had one, but generally they don't. The impression I got was that programs like to "train their own" - if for no other reason than it increases the prestige of the graduate part of the program when they are pushing out more PhDs. Would it be an actual disadvantage across the board though? I'm not sure. I think it most likely depends on the individual residency program and also whether it is combined or not.

As an aside, the combination ones are not always set in stone. I decided to do my PhD elsewhere because I couldn't really find a lab that I liked and there was a question of whether there was enough grant monies to pay me appropriately. Everyone was obviously sad that I was going but were very supportive and told me that I had to go where I would be happy. I know other residents who chose not to do a PhD at the end, or only did a MS.

Definitely, which is why I personally don't believe it's the vets that are at fault here. I've heard many (especially on the internet) make it out like vets are knowingly trying to harm their animals by over-vaccinating and they're just doing it for the money, etc. When, in my personal opinion, I think it's really the pharmaceutical companies manufacturing the vaccines that are the ones to blame. I don't think they change the guidelines because they'd be selling a heck of a lot less vaccines!

I was referring to the core viral vaccines in my previous post - except for rabies (I do realize the interval for that is regulated by state law - thankfully it's every 3 years in my state!). Hopefully rabies intervals will be changed in the near future - The Rabies Challenge Fund is attempting to conduct duration of immunity studies and get the intervals extended to 5 to 7 years (http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/).

Bacterial vaccines (like lyme and lepto), yes, typically have a shorter duration of immunity but they also aren't generally recommended in most protocols and carry a much higher risk of adverse reaction than the core viral vaccines. Concerning lepto Dr. Schultz says “I find there’s still a fairly high percentage of dogs that do not respond to the 4-way vaccine. In addition, of all the bacterin vaccines, leptospirosis causes the most adverse reactions.” [http://drjeandoddspethealthresource...6980/leptospirosis-dog-vaccines#.U6NsMLHJ2nl] Concerning the lyme vaccine: "In general areas with a low infection rate <10% infection the vaccine should not be used as the vaccine will be of no value and may enhance disease (e.g. arthritis) directly or in some dogs that become infected. In areas where infection rates are high (>50%) then the vaccine will be very useful. Thus, I believe it is irresponsible to suggest that all dogs in low-risk exposure states should be vaccinated." [http://drjeandoddspethealthresource...516592/schultz-lyme-vaccine-dog#.U6NsL7HJ2nl] BTW - there's some fantastic information about vaccines on Dr. Dodd's website, so for those interested in this type of thing I highly suggest sifting through it.

Vaccines really are the tip of the iceberg though. I mean this same frequency of administration issues applies to other things as well. Heartworm prevention for instance. Most people don't know that in the clinical trials Ivermectin preventatives (like Heartgard) were shown to have the same efficacy after 60 days as they have after 30 days yet the packaging is still labeled for dosing every 30 days and, for this reason, most veterinarians recommend this (I was told by a veterinarian that the reasoning behind this is that it's easier for pet parents to remember to dose their dogs the same day every month). There are some veterinarians out there that recommend dosing every 45 days. For anyone who's interested:
"Three hundred seventy dogs in controlled efficacy trials were treated with ivermectin. Of the 83 dogs treated at monthly intervals in natural infection trials, or treated 30 days after induced infection, with doses of ivermectin at 3.0 mcg/kg or greater, only 2 dogs developed infections. Even when the treatment interval was extended to 45 or 60 days following infection, only 2 of 88 dogs given ivermectin at 6.0 mcg/kg or more developed infections." http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary...lDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm111205.htm

Interesting stuff. :)

Last edited:
Bacterial vaccines (like lyme and lepto), yes, typically have a shorter duration of immunity but they also aren't generally recommended in most protocols and carry a much higher risk of adverse reaction than the core viral vaccines. Concerning lepto Dr. Schultz says “I find there’s still a fairly high percentage of dogs that do not respond to the 4-way vaccine. In addition, of all the bacterin vaccines, leptospirosis causes the most adverse reactions.” [http://drjeandoddspethealthresource...6980/leptospirosis-dog-vaccines#.U6NsMLHJ2nl] Concerning the lyme vaccine: "In general areas with a low infection rate <10% infection the vaccine should not be used as the vaccine will be of no value and may enhance disease (e.g. arthritis) directly or in some dogs that become infected. In areas where infection rates are high (>50%) then the vaccine will be very useful. Thus, I believe it is irresponsible to suggest that all dogs in low-risk exposure states should be vaccinated." [http://drjeandoddspethealthresource...516592/schultz-lyme-vaccine-dog#.U6NsL7HJ2nl] BTW - there's some fantastic information about vaccines on Dr. Dodd's website, so for those interested in this type of thing I highly suggest sifting through it.

Lepto and Lyme can be given outside of a 4 way vaccine. So you can still give a dog a 3 year DHPP vaccination and then a yearly lepto or lyme vaccination. Obviously, depending upon the individual dog, your location and associated risk of contracting those diseases. Yes, lepto has been associated with reactions more so than the other vaccines, which is why almost every vet clinic I worked at had switched over to the 4 in one vaccine without lepto and only giving lepto or lyme as seen appropriate for that patient.

Definitely, which is why I personally don't believe it's the vets that are at fault here. I've heard many (especially on the internet) make it out like vets are knowingly trying to harm their animals by over-vaccinating and they're just doing it for the money, etc. When, in my personal opinion, I think it's really the pharmaceutical companies manufacturing the vaccines that are the ones to blame. I don't think they change the guidelines because they'd be selling a heck of a lot less vaccines!

I was referring to the core viral vaccines in my previous post - except for rabies (I do realize the interval for that is regulated by state law - thankfully it's every 3 years in my state!). Hopefully rabies intervals will be changed in the near future - The Rabies Challenge Fund is attempting to conduct duration of immunity studies and get the intervals extended to 5 to 7 years (http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/).

Vaccines really are the tip of the iceberg though. I mean this same frequency of administration issues applies to other things as well. Heartworm prevention for instance. Most people don't know that in the clinical trials Ivermectin preventatives (like Heartgard) were shown to have the same efficacy after 60 days as they have after 30 days yet the packaging is still labeled for dosing every 30 days and, for this reason, most veterinarians recommend this (I was told by a veterinarian that the reasoning behind this is that it's easier for pet parents to remember to dose their dogs the same day every month). There are some veterinarians out there that recommend dosing every 45 days. For anyone who's interested:
"Three hundred seventy dogs in controlled efficacy trials were treated with ivermectin. Of the 83 dogs treated at monthly intervals in natural infection trials, or treated 30 days after induced infection, with doses of ivermectin at 3.0 mcg/kg or greater, only 2 dogs developed infections. Even when the treatment interval was extended to 45 or 60 days following infection, only 2 of 88 dogs given ivermectin at 6.0 mcg/kg or more developed infections." http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary...lDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm111205.htm

Interesting stuff. :)
Actually, ivermectin is back-killed consistently to 45 days. But clients arent perfectly compliant. so giving every other month opens the door to major compliance issues. So the 30 day thing is intended to combat that.

Lepto and Lyme can be given outside of a 4 way vaccine. So you can still give a dog a 3 year DHPP vaccination and then a yearly lepto or lyme vaccination. Obviously, depending upon the individual dog, your location and associated risk of contracting those diseases. Yes, lepto has been associated with reactions more so than the other vaccines, which is why almost every vet clinic I worked at had switched over to the 4 in one vaccine without lepto.
the newer vaccines react a lot less than previous ones, too.

As to the lyme thing - I would agree but infection rates are rising in the south. so while its not endemic here yet, it could get that way quickly

the newer vaccines react a lot less than previous ones, too.

As to the lyme thing - I would agree but infection rates are rising in the south. so while its not endemic here yet, it could get that way quickly

Yeah, AZ isn't a big lyme disease area so we only vaccinated if animals were travelling to areas with it. We did see a bit of ehrlichiosis, but no vaccine for that, at least not yet.

:corny: I feel like I'm taking immunology 101. This is cool. That reminds me if that dumb thing that was going around on FB claiming their vet was selling trifexis, knowing it's a "killer" and they were like NEVER GIVE YOUR DOG PREVENTION, USE BANANA OIL or something ridiculous.