Anesthesia - Critical Care: recommended programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A surgery resident was telling me that some surgical critical care fellowships take anesthesiologists as fellows.

1. Is this true?

2. Would it be worth it to explore this option?

UMich has multidisciplinary surgical/anesthesia CC fellowship. Each department picks ther own fellows, but they are all in the same program for the year.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe Washu is also set up that way for their Surg/anesthesia/em CC fellowship
UPMC has probably the best critical care program in the world. The multidisciplinary nature, the history, the clinical experience, the research, there is nothing that this program does not have. If you match there, you need to be prepared to work harder than most fellows in critical care programs around the country, but the results are the best-trained intensivists on the planet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Re: UPMC (and all other programs), I think that the "best program" is truly in the eye of the fellow. For example, if you want to train at a fellowship in which you supervise residents and mid-level providers, I'd argue UPMC gives a limited exposure of that experience. If you want to do EVERYTHING (admission, notes, go to all codes, replace the K, etc) UPMC will give you a ton of that. And, you'll great lectures everyday & rub shoulders with the "giants" of critical care...UPMC is indeed a great program.

...different strokes for different folks, but there are some pretty fantastic programs around.

I interviewed at UPMC and had a really hard time figuring that place out. Yes, they're one of a few places that has a stand-alone CCM department (and yet STILL has a separate pulm-CC fellowship!); yes, they have a ton of research funding, centers for this/that, CRISMA, Derek Angus, and the like; yes they have a million ICU beds. And yet, their fellows seemed to function as interns, most of their services had no "teams," they seemed to work in isolated anonymity, and their ranks were filled with people from residencies I'd never heard of. I realize this last point reeks of academic elitism, but it just seemed to strange to me that a place with such tremendous bona fides didn't seem to attract people from quality programs. It just didn't add up. Of course, that was now 6 years ago, so who knows...