Anesthesia Intern Year Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanityonleave

Adrenaline Junkie
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks--

This is a bit specific, but I thought someone on this board might have experience. I'm an EM resident switching into a CA-1 Anesthesia position at the end of my PGY-1 year. I matched (yay) and am now in the process of filling out the paperwork to complete the switch.

Here's the issue: I need to register my internship year with the ABA, and their requirements specifically state "at least one but no more than two" months of Emergency Medicine. I've done 5.

Has anyone been in a similar position in the past? Will they allow for some sort of waiver since I'm switching fields, or will this eat up elective time during residency? Do they actually care? Is there any chance they won't let me start at all?

Thanks in advance if anyone has dealt with this before. I'm obviously in touch with my program, but I wanted to check in here since I know it's somewhat uncommon and thought someone might have had experience with it.

Thanks!

EDIT: I answered at least one of my own questions, but I thought I would leave it here in case it's helpful for people with a similar question in the future. Your "clinical base year" rotations have to be completed prior to CA-3 year, so I should be able to start on time irrespective of how much credit the ABA gives me for my extra EM months.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seems like you'll just have to do extra icu months if you didn't in intern year. If you don't mind telling, what made you switch?

What were the other 7 months? I think the intern year requirements are up to 2 months of ICU (so one should be ok, you would just have to 3 for a total of 4 required months during residency). One month of EM is required.

6 months of medical management. This could be 6 mos in any of the other clinical specialties like OB, Neuro, medicine, surgery, peds (maybe others). The rest I think would be up to you.

So the real question would be if you have those 6 months.