Anesthesia Is F'ing Awesome.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OB1🤙

Breaking Good
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't let all the doom and gloom around here get you down. Will salaries in the future be less than now? Maybe, maybe even probably.

Will nursethetists make significant inroads into independent practice? Probably.

And I don't give a flying f*ck.

Because I love my job. There's nothing else in medicine I'd rather do. There's nothing else period I'd rather do for a living. Other than get paid to surf or snowboard, I suppose.

Do those posters sounding warning bells about the future have valid points? Absolutely. Anyone considering this gig should go into it eyes wide open, aware of all these issues. And we should continue to fight tooth and nail for our specialty, and to try and get some respect in Washington for doctors in general. Tort reform would be a nice start.

But if you're like me, what really matters is: this is still the best job around. Was it worth the sacrifice of so much time and treasure? Yup. Every day, all day, yes it was. Not everyone will feel the same way, mind you. If you don't LOVE it, you should probably do something else. But if you feel the way I do about this field, then the future looks bright.

I wake up and look forward to going in to work every single day. That's priceless to me.

Aloha,
HB

PS: Status change, bitches.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
look where you live dude. If i lived in hawaii i would be pretty happy all the time too regardless of what i did for a living:laugh::laugh::laugh: for the rest of us we are watching state after state opt out physician supervision, crnas going independent, our salaries being slashed while workload increasing by 30 percent, ASA not doing anything while asking for more money, ABA making it harder and harder to re certify and Get certified, hospital administrators de valuing our services and making it harder for us to think on our own. Its terrible man. Look it up. I can lie and tell you how great life is as an anesthesiologist but I would not be telling the truth. The specialty is interesting but the practice of it is very draining.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with HB. I love my job, the patients, hours, everything. Things change, that's life. It would have been nice to make '80s partner money. I'm not remotely poor, and I never will be. If I had to do primary care or surgery, clinic, etc. I'd be miserable.
If you don't like your job change it. I don't know any unemployed anesthesiologists, don't know anyone who couldn't get board certified, anyone who went looking for greener pastures that didn't get offers, any Resident or fellow that couldn't get a job.
There's plenty of life left in this field, and money.
I'll agree 100% that the ASA has not done a good job shepherding the flock for a LONG TIME, and until very recently I voted my vote of no confidence with my wallet, much to the dismay of at least one member.:rolleyes:
The doom and gloom gets a little painful after a while.
You know what they say about cursing the darkness.

-
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

41 min. before someone had to bring this **** down.

Holla at the status change!!!!! Your last, no less.

Darby: Whateeeeeeeeeeever.

HB: love the status change!!!!!!!!!

Congrats, really, much success and happy wishes to you!

D712

Last edited:
Don't let all the doom and gloom around here get you down. Will salaries in the future be less than now? Maybe, maybe even probably.

Will nursethetists make significant inroads into independent practice? Probably.

Because I love my job. There's nothing else in medicine I'd rather do. There's nothing else period I'd rather do for a living. Other than get paid to surf or snowboard, I suppose.

Do those posters sounding warning bells about the future have valid points? Absolutely. Anyone considering this gig should go into it eyes wide open, aware of all these issues. And we should continue to fight tooth and nail for our specialty, and to try and get some respect in Washington for doctors in general. Tort reform would be a nice start.

But if you're like me, what really matters is: this is still the best job around. Was it worth the sacrifice of so much time and treasure? Yup. Every day, all day, yes it was. Not everyone will feel the same way, mind you. If you don't LOVE it, you should probably do something else. But if you feel the way I do about this field, then the future looks bright.

I wake up and look forward to going in to work every single day. That's priceless to me.

Aloha,
HB

HB, congrats on the status change!

Thanks for posting. It's awesome reading stuff like this. Reaffirms the desire to go into anesthesiology after reading all the gloom.

Aloha,
HB

I started lurking on this forum recently, and this post makes me very happy in the wake of all the doom and gloom posts. I just finished first year of med school, but between clinical research and a summer fellowship getting hands-on experience, I'm positive that I want to go into anesthesia. There are going to be problems in any field, and there's a lot of uncertainty about the healthcare system in the coming years, but I can't see myself enjoying another field as much.

I started lurking on this forum recently, and this post makes me very happy in the wake of all the doom and gloom posts. I just finished first year of med school, but between clinical research and a summer fellowship getting hands-on experience, I'm positive that I want to go into anesthesia. There are going to be problems in any field, and there's a lot of uncertainty about the healthcare system in the coming years, but I can't see myself enjoying another field as much.

Heck, I love my job as a friggin resident! Seriously, I do. Not infrequently, I reflect what a kick a.s job I have, and did I say, as a RESIDENT!? I feel good about what I do, and the impact I have. I feel like I do meaningful, challenging, interesting work and despite a changing situation, I feel I'll be able to get a decent job doing some fun stuff. I'm a simple guy.

The doom and gloom is mostly our doing. Much can be salvaged without diverting this thread. However, like others have said, change is inevitable as it is in all fields/careers/aspects of life.

Thanks for indulging in a little positivity, everyone.

Yeah, being in Hawaii helps, as does joining an all MD practice.

But still.

Anesthesia is f'ing awesome. Always will be.

To Bertelman and the other newly-minted attendings, congrats to you guys too. I raise a peaty glass of Laphroaig 18 to you all.

Reactions: 1 user
Although I really hope it never goes there, I would still rather be an anesthesiologist earning 150 than have to sit in a clinic listening to patients who haven't figured out that pain is mandatory, suffering is optional for twice the money.

If it does go there, academics might be in my future (the benefits would make it more attractive). Of course there is always Canada!

- pod

Members don't see this ad :)
If the salary becomes 150k, it would be lower than primary care and the other specialties. I don't see the salary decreasing that much. Any opinions.

Oh brother. I could shovel sh it in Hawaii and be happy. Let me know how you feel 5 years from now Bruin :laugh:

look where you live dude. If i lived in hawaii i would be pretty happy all the time too regardless of what i did for a living:laugh::laugh::laugh: for the rest of us we are watching state after state opt out physician supervision, crnas going independent, our salaries being slashed while workload increasing by 30 percent, ASA not doing anything while asking for more money, ABA making it harder and harder to re certify and Get certified, hospital administrators de valuing our services and making it harder for us to think on our own. Its terrible man. Look it up. I can lie and tell you how great life is as an anesthesiologist but I would not be telling the truth. The specialty is interesting but the practice of it is very draining.

I love my job. I'd do it even if my salary was cut 80%. It's fun. It might be stressful 1% of the time, but who cares? Keeps the adrenaline flowing. My life is awesome. Can't imagine doing anything else.

People bitch and moan, but I have a feeling those same people would bitch and moan regardless of their situation in life because they like to do it.

Me too I would do my job for one dollar a day, I don't care if obama care marginilizes what i do, I LOVE IT

Although I really hope it never goes there, I would still rather be an anesthesiologist earning 150 than have to sit in a clinic listening to patients who haven't figured out that pain is mandatory, suffering is optional for twice the money.

If it does go there, academics might be in my future (the benefits would make it more attractive). Of course there is always Canada!

- pod

I'm not sure if you would be board eligible up here, anesthesia residency is a 5 years program (no intern year)

I'm not sure if you would be board eligible up here, anesthesia residency is a 5 years program (no intern year)

Note POD has completed a cardiac fellowship, five years of ACGME training. From everything I've heard that would satisfy Canadian training requirements. Another :thumbup: for doing a fellowship.

Note POD has completed a cardiac fellowship, five years of ACGME training. From everything I've heard that would satisfy Canadian training requirements. Another :thumbup: for doing a fellowship.

oh, you're probably right then

MtGas is correct. I am eligible to take the boards in Canada due to my 5th year ACGME fellowship, as is MTGas incidentally.

- pod

You sir are a freaking boss, glad to hear you're lovin' it

I am stoked by reading the enthusiasm lied here, what a baller.

Just wanna bump this thread and thow out a celebratory

Status Change, Bitches!

to all my fellow graduated CA-3's

Just wanna bump this thread and thow out a celebratory

Status Change, Bitches!

to all my fellow graduated CA-3's

Huge congrats! I raise my hoppy bottle of Deschutes Inversion IPA to you and all the new attendings out there.

Oh, and anesthesia is still f'ing awesome.

This makes me so happy - about to start CA-1 after a prelim med year. That Anesthesia elective in 4th year med school seems very far away; reading this just reaffirms that I made the right decision. Can't wait to start! Thanks so much for posting and sharing your positive experience.

I'm starting CA2 year tomorrow and after doing a year of anesthesiology I have to agree, it is the bomb. I can't think of a more enjoyable specialty. For the new CA1s keep in mind that the learning curve is steep and attendings (anesthesia and surgery) can be very critical and down right nasty sometimes but don't let it discourage you. Just keep your head down, study as much as you can and be vigilant. It will become less stressful as you gain confidence throughout the year. Best of luck to the new attendings and residents!

Couldn't agree more with previous posts. There will be days when you feel like you can't do anything right, but just keep your focus and learn from your mistakes. Remember those attendings that are your harshest critics can be your greatest teachers, also they were CA-1's who didn't have a clue once upon a time too.

Thanks for the link. As an incoming first year, this helped broaden my idea of what this specialty is, besides "the guy who puts you to sleep."

Sometimes they keep you awake too.

How do you feel about this thread now Hawaiian Bruin
We've had this talk a thousand times. Most anesthesiologists who are partners, or in a very good group, both rare nowadays, will love it. The 80% who are neither will be more reserved about their jobs. The latter also won't think that the future is rosy.

Also, certain subspecialties are happier than others, especially because of the better job market and contracts for them. Cardiac comes to mind.

We've had this talk a thousand times. Most anesthesiologists who are partners, or in a very good group, both rare nowadays, will love it. The 80% who are neither will be more reserved about their jobs. The latter also won't think that the future is rosy.

Also, certain subspecialties are happier than others, especially because of the better job market and contracts for them. Cardiac comes to mind.
cardiac sucks for the simple fact that the cases are too damn long... who wants to stay in a case for four-six hours at a clip everyday for the rest of your career and you are basically bored the entire case..especially during the pump run.. geez.. i wanna go the F home .

I love long cases. Had my share of short cases in a PP-like setting, and nothing sucks more than running around all day for peanut pay.

I am not for stool sitting either, but there has to be a balance.

Plus look at the sheer number of cardiac jobs on gaswork. And compare the offers with the regular Joe non-cardiac ones.

I was looking for a CCM one a few hours ago, and I am thoroughly unimpressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
cardiac sucks for the simple fact that the cases are too damn long... who wants to stay in a case for four-six hours at a clip everyday for the rest of your career and you are basically bored the entire case..especially during the pump run.. geez.. i wanna go the F home .
:rolleyes:

:yawn:

How do you feel about this thread now Hawaiian Bruin
Even better than I did 3 years ago when I first wrote it, thank you very much.

I love my job. I love anesthesiology. I still think I have the best job in the hospital.

Valid concerns exist in our field.

But I still look forward to going to work every day.

Anesthesia is still f'ing awesome. Always was, always will be.

Reactions: 10 users
I'm actually NOT in the OR after we go on pump. I'm out eating lunch or whatever. I don't come back until they call me usually when they're warming the patient.

I'm actually NOT in the OR after we go on pump. I'm out eating lunch or whatever. I don't come back until they call me usually when they're warming the patient.

can I assume there is a CRNA with the patient? It's kinda malpractice to have a patient anesthetized in a room without a qualified person with them every second of the way. And no, perfusion and a surgeon doesn't count.

can I assume there is a CRNA with the patient? It's kinda malpractice to have a patient anesthetized in a room without a qualified person with them every second of the way. And no, perfusion and a surgeon doesn't count.

I'm in an MD only practice and our heart guys run out to grab lunch while they are on pump. Obviously they use their discretion in terms of patient stability, length of pump run, etc.

Nice to see a positive outlook is still alive in some of us.

We should all be more proactive in protecting our interests!

Of course the ASA doesn't get much done, they are funded by a mixed up mottled membership with numerous competing interests. Many people I encounter don't even understand that the ASA is not a physician only group. Anesthesiologists need real representation, ASAP!

I'm in an MD only practice and our heart guys run out to grab lunch while they are on pump. Obviously they use their discretion in terms of patient stability, length of pump run, etc.

and I'm pretty sure that qualifies as malpractice and does not conform to standards of care. It's also fraud if they billed for that time as part of the procedure and were not present in the room.

but that's just me

then again the ASA has a statement on it. From the Standards and Guidelines section of the website...scroll down to the Anesthesia Care section and "Standards for Basic Anesthesia Monitoring".

The very first part...

1. STANDARD I

Qualified anesthesia personnel shall be present in the room throughout the conduct of all general anesthetics, regional anesthetics and monitored anesthesia care.

1.1 Objective –

Because of the rapid changes in patient status during anesthesia, qualified anesthesia personnel shall be continuously present to monitor the patient and provide anesthesia care. In the event there is a direct known hazard, e.g., radiation, to the anesthesia personnel which might require intermittent remote observation of the patient, some provision for monitoring the patient must be made. In the event that an emergency requires the temporary absence of the person primarily responsible for the anesthetic, the best judgment of the anesthesiologist will be exercised in comparing the emergency with the anesthetized patient’s condition and in the selection of the person left responsible for the anesthetic during the temporary absence.

They think so highly of it they later define continuous as to mean without any interruption at any time.

It's pretty clear. And if something bad happened there would not be a single defensible argument in someone's favor.

And please note, I'm not decrying anybody's medical judgment. I understand fully what being on pump means. I'm just saying if something happens, just open up the checkbook and settle because there is no other option. The I went to eat lunch during your surgery defense isn't going to go over well with a judge or jury.

Last edited:
and I'm pretty sure that qualifies as malpractice and does not conform to standards of care. It's also fraud if they billed for that time as part of the procedure and were not present in the room.

but that's just me

then again the ASA has a statement on it. From the Standards and Guidelines section of the website...scroll down to the Anesthesia Care section and "Standards for Basic Anesthesia Monitoring".

The very first part...

1. STANDARD I

Qualified anesthesia personnel shall be present in the room throughout the conduct of all general anesthetics, regional anesthetics and monitored anesthesia care.

1.1 Objective –

Because of the rapid changes in patient status during anesthesia, qualified anesthesia personnel shall be continuously present to monitor the patient and provide anesthesia care. In the event there is a direct known hazard, e.g., radiation, to the anesthesia personnel which might require intermittent remote observation of the patient, some provision for monitoring the patient must be made. In the event that an emergency requires the temporary absence of the person primarily responsible for the anesthetic, the best judgment of the anesthesiologist will be exercised in comparing the emergency with the anesthetized patient’s condition and in the selection of the person left responsible for the anesthetic during the temporary absence.

They think so highly of it they later define continuous as to mean without any interruption at any time.

It's pretty clear. And if something bad happened there would not be a single defensible argument in someone's favor.

And please note, I'm not decrying anybody's medical judgment. I understand fully what being on pump means. I'm just saying if something happens, just open up the checkbook and settle because there is no other option. The I went to eat lunch during your surgery defense isn't going to go over well with a judge or jury.

I agree with you. That being said, I can't judge them since I am guilty of similar things, such as running out of the room across the hall to use the bathroom during a long case when one of my partners wasn't available to swing by and get me out. I guess each person has to weigh the risks and benefits and decide for themselves if there is ever an appropriate time or scenario to waiver from the guidelines set by the ASA.

Then again, based on the "qualified anesthesia personnel" portion of the guideline, leaving a CRNA alone in a room may be breaking standard of care :D