Anesthesia PGY-1 about to start, have some questions about the road ahead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

combatwombat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance; I feel like all of these questions were things I should've figured out long ago.

1) When the first ITE? I've heard there is one for PGY-1's, but that it doesn't count for fellowships. Is this true?

2) What does count for fellowships? I assume ITE and AKT scores are high up on the list, as are letters of reference. But what other things?

3) Is Step 3 relevant at all for fellowships? Or can I simply shoot for a passing score and not worry about doing well? I was hoping to get this out of the way ASAP

4) When should I start studying for the ITEs/AKTs during intern year? I have heard of people starting around January and doing pretty well on their first ITE.

5) Are there other big exams I should be cognizant of, aside from the ITEs and AKTs? (aside from the board exam obviously)

Members don't see this ad.

Please forgive my ignorance; I feel like all of these questions were things I should've figured out long ago.

1) When the first ITE? I've heard there is one for PGY-1's, but that it doesn't count for fellowships. Is this true? Depends on your program. If you're doing a separate PGY-1 year you may not have to take it. Fellowships can still ask for it, however.

2) What does count for fellowships? I assume ITE and AKT scores are high up on the list, as are letters of reference. But what other things? ITE, didn't ask for AKTs, LoR, research/publications, your interview.

3) Is Step 3 relevant at all for fellowships? Or can I simply shoot for a passing score and not worry about doing well? I was hoping to get this out of the way ASAP. No. Take it early and pass.

4) When should I start studying for the ITEs/AKTs during intern year? I have heard of people starting around January and doing pretty well on their first ITE. I didn't do any extra studying for the PGY-1 exam. Your basic medical knowledge plus whatever you learned of anesthesia as a med student should be plenty. If you have to, probably baby Miller.

5) Are there other big exams I should be cognizant of, aside from the ITEs and AKTs? (aside from the board exam obviously) No, I think AKTs, ITEs, and boards pretty much covers it. I guess MOCA after you've been practicing for 10 years.