Anesthesiologist Assistants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eosinophilic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew about the future practice of AA's. Specifically what the legislative environment is like in New York and Cali.

I have googled for the past hour and haven't found much info other than the bills themselves. Also any info on the job market in Michigan and Texas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone knew about the future practice of AA's. Specifically what the legislative environment is like in New York and Cali.

I have googled for the past hour and haven't found much info other than the bills themselves. Also any info on the job market in Michigan and Texas would be appreciated!

Thanks!
They are fighting an up hill battle against a very powerful enemy (the AANA), and much to their chagrin their only supporter is the ASA which is an impotent useless organization.
So I would say their future is pretty grim.

Thanks!

I think and hope that if we see the AANA continue to lobby for "broader scope" practice, then there will open a bigger and bigger window to push for AA licensure. I hope and pray that the ASA and respective state associations continue to pump money into lobbying for licenses. Several states, including my home state, have managed to get bills to a vote. Just have to keep knocking on the door.

Oh, you want cheap? Funny story, there is a much cheaper option out there.
Oh, you think cheaper care is just as safe? Funny story, there is just as cheap of an option and just as safe out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
the ASA which is an impotent useless organization.
you can say that again. I cant make this statement more bold or bigger. No truer statement has ever been hunt and pecked onto a computer screen.

The reality is that I would much rather a well trained ICU nurse in the OR with me. She or he will at least follow what i say rather than think she or he knows better and go ROGUE. I get agitated when these CRNAs start doing stuff that i dont agree with.

Reactions: 1 user
The reality is that I would much rather a well trained ICU nurse in the OR with me. She or he will at least follow what i say rather than think she or he knows better and go ROGUE. I get agitated when these CRNAs start doing stuff that i dont agree with.
My feelings exactly.

In any other part of the world the rogue CRNAs would lose their license, not just their job. Here, in most places, all they get is a slap on the wrist.

Thanks!
AAs keep chugging along. We graduated over 200 students this year, and they enjoy essentially 100% job placement, including in Michigan and Texas. (Don't assume gaswork provides any meaningful hiring picture). The number of AAs, AA programs, and states in which AAs practice steadily increases every year.

California and New York are both on our radar. Legislation stalled in California this year, but we are encouraged by the support we received. It is actually rare to get legislation passed on a first attempt. There will be more. A number of states are in play every year. New programs are in the works as well. For obvious reasons, I'm reluctant to be too detailed or specific in a public forum, but assume we're not sitting idly in terms of expansion of AA practice.

Reactions: 2 users
AAs keep chugging along. We graduated over 200 students this year, and they enjoy essentially 100% job placement, including in Michigan and Texas. (Don't assume gaswork provides any meaningful hiring picture). The number of AAs, AA programs, and states in which AAs practice steadily increases every year.

California and New York are both on our radar. Legislation stalled in California this year, but we are encouraged by the support we received. It is actually rare to get legislation passed on a first attempt. There will be more. A number of states are in play every year. New programs are in the works as well. For obvious reasons, I'm reluctant to be too detailed or specific in a public forum, but assume we're not sitting idly in terms of expansion of AA practice.

Not sure if you know or not, but can you go into detail about the legalities and rights of practice? I know Texas this year had a bill defeated in the state legislature about getting them officially licensed, but to my understanding there are pockets of Texas where they are employed. Do you know how this works or have any references? When my physician only group inevitably goes towards an ACT set-up, I want to have information and knowledge to push for AAs. Please PM me if you don't want to post it publicly.

Dude, I'm on the employment committee in my group. I'm already planting small seeds for AA's in my state. No schools in my state but I'd LOVE to hire on a couple AA's at some point. Probably not for 2 years until I have a bit more say in things at my group, but I'm gonna push for it when the time is right.

Reactions: 2 users
Its honestly so annoying that AA's aren't just classified in the same realm as PA's. Im pretty sure CRNA's can technically work as ARNP's.