Anesthesiologist indicted....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love the double standard. This guy rapes and pillages the system to become wealthy and gets indicted and sent to prison. The insurance companies rape and pillage the system and end up with record profits and everyone acknowledging that they are doing this and no one holds them accountable. Welcome to America, the home of crony capitalism where corporations get in bed with the government to legalize their behavior. I mean seriously, one has to wonder how they get away with charging up the ass for premiums and coverage and then decline everything and when its their turn to pay up they only pay a portion of the bill and no one sees a problem with that. I wonder what would happen to me if I walked into Apple and took a MacBook computer out of the store and left 500 dollars on the counter and said "you'll only get 500 dollars for that computer and you'll like it... and next year I'll only give you 400 for that MacBook when I get another one."

Or just go rob a bank. Thats essentially what he did...

Billing for services while flying on his private jet? Let him get a boyfriend in prison to do to him what he has done to medicine and all of our reputations as physicians.

Federal Employees Health Benefits Program for more than $8 million — “of which at least $5 million was fraudulent,” says the U.S. Attorney’s Office. The indictment also comes with a laundry list of nice things he’d have to turn over if convicted, including a 2016 Bentley Mulsanne (which was bought on April 1), a 2015 McLaren 650S, a 2012 McLaren MP4-12C and other extremelyfancy rides.

My buddy in Dallas knows the story extremely well. Just got off the phone with him. Most in the Dallas community want the guy to go to jail. But guy is worth At least 100-200 million.

He married into a lot of money. He didn't need to do this fraud. Regardless, his money will get him out and keep him out of jail.

Not going to go into crazy details my buddy told me. But this guy simply just got greedy (beyond greedy). He already had MDs and Crnas working for him and continued to billed even when he was out of the area. And they billed everything out of network. Crazy billing like $400/unit (out of network billing is not illegal) But show you the type of greed involved. And I guess this hospital was located near Medical city? (I am not that familiar with dallas area myself). But apparently guy owned the land the forest hospital was built on. It's just an extremely complicated story. So much greed in the world. How the hospital was built, guy's wife is some dallas socialite. How guy owned the land the hospital was built on but technically couldn't "own" the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
, but how else do you explain a guy with hundreds of millions committing that type of fraud with so much to lose.
umm, because he is a criminal. Greed and being a criminal are two seperate things. WHy are you defending him?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not defending him. I concur. I was just trying to understand or rationally justify why he did it.

Who cares why he did it? He is a criminal. He is excrement basically. he is the reason why our lives are so much harder. Honesty and being wealthy are NOT mutually exclusive.

And your diatribe about free market capitalism as you are describing this guy is ridiculous in my opinion. I understand what you are saying however.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone is greedy. If you told me you weren't greedy and you didn't want things for yourself, I would call you a liar. The reason technology, innovation, and advancements in society occur are because of greed. Free market capitalism is the greatest thing to ever happen to the human race. Clearly this guy was out of line and unethical, so justifiably he's going to prison. I'm willing to bet he did a lot of it out of revenge against the insurance companies to spite them, not even for the money. Just on principle it appeared he wanted to get "even" for all of the abuse insurance companies have inflicted on doctors over the years. Obviously that's pure speculation, but how else do you explain a guy with hundreds of millions committing that type of fraud with so much to lose.
It's obviously a different topic, but in my opinion "everyone is greedy" and "free-market capitalism is the greatest" are mutually exclusive. Capitalism HAS given us "progress" and comfort, and everyone IS greedy, but the market needs controls because we all know that those at the top keep the money and power in the hands of those at the top.

That makes no sense at all. What do you think wealthy people do with their money? Do you think they stuff it under a mattress in their house and just hoard it? No, they invest their money in other things. The more money people have, the more they invest it into other ventures that will be profitable for them. Additionally, if they aren't investing in other companies, projects, business ideas, etc they are expanding their own business to become wealthier by employing people, etc. Control is only needed when someone is violating the rights of another person in the process of making money. For example, if your company is killing people then an entity needs to step in and punish them. Otherwise, if everything they are doing is legal, beneficial, meets a demand in society, and doesn't harm anyone or their rights then more power to them and they should be able to make as much money as they want. This criminal we have been speaking about obviously is harming others by putting the patient in danger and doing things that were unethical. However, if he billed everything appropriately, was honest with the medical records, and did things legally in his practices I would have no problem with him making a billion dollars. We all play for the same team... when people at the top are doing well that affects everyone else positively too. If you want a great example of free market capitalism look at Hong Kong. Don't miscontsrue free market capitalism for CRONY capitalism which is more of the norm in this country.... corruption and cronyism have taken over and free market capitalism has become the scapegoat.
You dont know what you are talking about. If there was true free market capitalism, this douche couldnt do the things he was doing. The rich make sure the law is written for them. That is NOT free market capitalism, nor is it violating the rights of others because its the law. THere is the problem. We need people spending money on stupid shi t to jump start the economy. MOre haircuts tans, nails done, wigs, more food etc etc. That is accomplished by raising the minimum wage. Our economy is consumer driven. you raise the minimum wage to 10-11 bucks an hour. Our economy: EN FUEGO baby!!

Wow. Interesting. I wonder how common this is... I mean I understand people out there are ripping off the system, but billing for services while he's on his private jet or undergoing surgery?! Surprised all his co-workers kept it on the DL

That makes no sense at all. What do you think wealthy people do with their money? Do you think they stuff it under a mattress in their house and just hoard it? No, they invest their money in other things. The more money people have, the more they invest it into other ventures that will be profitable for them. Additionally, if they aren't investing in other companies, projects, business ideas, etc they are expanding their own business to become wealthier by employing people, etc. Control is only needed when someone is violating the rights of another person in the process of making money. For example, if your company is killing people then an entity needs to step in and punish them. Otherwise, if everything they are doing is legal, beneficial, meets a demand in society, and doesn't harm anyone or their rights then more power to them and they should be able to make as much money as they want. This criminal we have been speaking about obviously is harming others by putting the patient in danger and doing things that were unethical. However, if he billed everything appropriately, was honest with the medical records, and did things legally in his practices I would have no problem with him making a billion dollars. We all play for the same team... when people at the top are doing well that affects everyone else positively too. If you want a great example of free market capitalism look at Hong Kong. Don't miscontsrue free market capitalism for CRONY capitalism which is more of the norm in this country.... corruption and cronyism have taken over and free market capitalism has become the scapegoat.
I didn't know anything about Hong Kong's free market so I looked it up. You probably should too. 20% of the country lives in poverty. It has the most billionaires in Asia, including the four richest. The number of millionaires in the country increases by 40% over the last year, but poverty has actually slightly increased. So where are those riches going exactly?

The "trickle-down" economics that everyone used to believe so strongly in is not a reality. Criticalelement is 100% right; people have to SPEND for the economy and middle class to grow. The middle class spends. The rich invest, and the poor don't have enough to contribute.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't know anything about Hong Kong's free market so I looked it up. You probably should too. 20% of the country lives in poverty. It has the most billionaires in Asia, including the four richest. The number of millionaires in the country increases by 40% over the last year, but poverty has actually slightly increased. So where are those riches going exactly?

The "trickle-down" economics that everyone used to believe so strongly in is not a reality. Criticalelement is 100% right; people have to SPEND for the economy and middle class to grow. The middle class spends. The rich invest, and the poor don't have enough to contribute.

I agree with most of the second paragraph. However, there are some poor people who manage to always get their hair and nails done and have nice phones and cars. Yet somehow continue receiving welfare. So in a way they do contribute, with OUR money.

Legitboss. Did you seriously just link to a Freedomworks piece? Don't you realize the irony there? Koch brothers create stealth network to rig the system, screw over everyone else, and destroy the "free market" they claim to love only to to enrich themselves. Do you not see the problem there?

Wow. Interesting. I wonder how common this is... I mean I understand people out there are ripping off the system, but billing for services while he's on his private jet or undergoing surgery?! Surprised all his co-workers kept it on the DL
This is how anesthesia practice has been working for EONS. Since its inception.

A few individulas milk (rig) the system, schedule, cases, to their liking while the others do all the work. If you can tolerate a system like that for a whole career, get on the bus. Someone will be happy to exploit your skills. A lot less individuals are doing it... it's all corporations now doing the sodomizing. If you can stomach that. Get on the bus baby.

Yes, I linked to a Freedomworks piece. I don't care that David Koch founded the advocacy group and website. I am specifically referring to the article that was written. Where is the evidence that he is creating a "stealth network" to rig the system/screw everyone/destroy the free market? I would have a problem with it if it were true.

I think you need to do a little research on Freedomworks and AMericans for Prosperity and their state level networks. Also look into the funding of various economics depts through Koch run organizations, said depts then put out fluff research supporting their views. Look into what they did in Wisconsin with Walker and their attempts to buy WI electric and to influence regulation of the power industry in that state. Fund candidate (Walker), candidate gets elected and provides countless benefits to their industries and so on. Free market advocacy my @ss, Freedomworks and their ilk are a joke. If you can't see it either your critical thinking skills are off or your in denial.

Free market capitalism does not guarantee that you will be successful. It just guarantees you the OPPORTUNITY to become successful. If you are a loser, you're going to be a loser in Cuba, Hong Kong, Russia, or anywhere. Your chances are greatest being in a place where business can thrive because you might just be able to advance yourself whereas in a place like Cuba you have zero chance. You provided no evidence as to why that poverty increased. For all you know, those poor people might all be having 10 kids (which they probably are) and the poverty rate will go up. I can promise you this... if they did NOT have a free market economy that 20% poverty would be MUCH HIGHER. How does spending money you don't have and saving nothing to your name going to increase your standing in society? Explain that to me. What do you think the rich invest in? They invest in what I mentioned before which HELPS SOCIETY. Look at a show like Shark Tank... that is a PERFECT example of what I'm talking about. You have billionaires who are looking to make good business deals with small businesses to help them expand and take the next step which allows them to build more factories, produce more, hire more people, etc. The more money everyone has and saves the more they increase their wealth and socioeconomic status. If I have $20,000 in my name and I spend all of it now I have nothing. Am I now better off? Have I now increased my net worth? Have I moved up in society? I'll let you think about it.
There is a LOT wrong with your logic and conclusions. And your view of the poor. And understanding of economics.
And yes, there are poor people who milk the system. But 60% of the "loser" poor families you describe have a head of household that works full time.
I DO think everyone in the U.S. has an opportunity to prosper. But how difficult would that be for someone who doesn't do well on standardized tests, doesn't have any particularly valuable talent, or doesn't have wealthy parents? That's a lot of people, and there aren't enough options out there for them. I wouldn't fault them for not wanting to wait for the 1% to decide to create a new high paying job for them.

Last edited:
You don't need to be a great standardized test taker, have a valuable talent, or have wealthy parents to be successful. Your conclusion is that for anyone to become successful they need to be extraordinary or have a financial advantage over everyone else which is not the case. I would say a big reason people are poor is because is because they are uneducated, unmotivated, and unwilling to do what it takes to be successful. People used to come to this country with NOTHING and become successful and wealthy by starting their own business, developing particular skills, educating themselves, etc. Unless you are mentally ******ed or you have a significant setback that is unusual and preventing you from working I don't think there is an excuse that one could give as to why they are in poverty. The fact is people are lazy and unmotivated and are unwilling to do what it takes to become successful. People often times don't know how to make sacrifices and have delayed gratification in order to reach goals for themselves, assuming they have any at all. I find it disgusting that people have the nerve to complain that working at McDonald's doesn't provide enough income to support a family. Well yeah, it was a job intended for a part time working teenager in high school, not a 35 year old looking to make a career out of flipping burgers. That also highlights another problem that when you have the highest corporate tax rate in the world and the government has taxed business into oblivion, it's difficult to start up companies in the US. This is why many businesses start up in SE Asia now, which is seeing a rising growth in the middle class because they are producing and building things. Despite that, there are plenty of jobs and businesses the average person can be a part of or start that can allow them to move into middle class or even become wealthy. Is everyone going to be a billionaire or multimillionaire? No. That's just not the reality. However, there are more jobs out there other than being an investment banker on Wall Street or taking over your parents multi million dollar business. That's part of the problem with your logic is that these poor people shouldn't be sitting in their house doing nothing just hoping a great job will fall in their lap. They need to take personal responsibility for themselves and make their own success and many times a great job is awarded to people with that kind of drive along the way. A high paying job has to be EARNED, no one is entitled to a high paying job. You haven't provided any substantial evidence as to how my logic, conclusions, or my understanding of economics is incorrect. You are just starting to sound like you're reading MSNBC talking points.

Anyone care to guess whether legitboss is from LA or Miami? I have it narrowed down to those two...

You don't need to be a great standardized test taker, have a valuable talent, or have wealthy parents to be successful. Your conclusion is that for anyone to become successful they need to be extraordinary or have a financial advantage over everyone else which is not the case. I would say a big reason people are poor is because is because they are uneducated, unmotivated, and unwilling to do what it takes to be successful. People used to come to this country with NOTHING and become successful and wealthy by starting their own business, developing particular skills, educating themselves, etc. Unless you are mentally ******ed or you have a significant setback that is unusual and preventing you from working I don't think there is an excuse that one could give as to why they are in poverty. The fact is people are lazy and unmotivated and are unwilling to do what it takes to become successful. People often times don't know how to make sacrifices and have delayed gratification in order to reach goals for themselves, assuming they have any at all. I find it disgusting that people have the nerve to complain that working at McDonald's doesn't provide enough income to support a family. Well yeah, it was a job intended for a part time working teenager in high school, not a 35 year old looking to make a career out of flipping burgers. That also highlights another problem that when you have the highest corporate tax rate in the world and the government has taxed business into oblivion, it's difficult to start up companies in the US. This is why many businesses start up in SE Asia now, which is seeing a rising growth in the middle class because they are producing and building things. Despite that, there are plenty of jobs and businesses the average person can be a part of or start that can allow them to move into middle class or even become wealthy. Is everyone going to be a billionaire or multimillionaire? No. That's just not the reality. However, there are more jobs out there other than being an investment banker on Wall Street or taking over your parents multi million dollar business. That's part of the problem with your logic is that these poor people shouldn't be sitting in their house doing nothing just hoping a great job will fall in their lap. They need to take personal responsibility for themselves and make their own success and many times a great job is awarded to people with that kind of drive along the way. A high paying job has to be EARNED, no one is entitled to a high paying job. You haven't provided any substantial evidence as to how my logic, conclusions, or my understanding of economics is incorrect. You are just starting to sound like you're reading MSNBC talking points.

Sounds like someone who's never been poor

Yah, I am guessing Legit never had to actually work a **** job a day in his life or have to chose between paying electric verses paying for food.

The idea that US corporations are being taxed into oblivion just shows how little he knows. The U.S. has the highest tax rate compared to the developed world but when accounting for the massive tax breaks and tax shelters available to US companies they actually pay very little in comparison. Examples are numerous, like GE paying no taxes ect. It's laughable to complain in one instance about a political environment that allows corporations to buy government (such as his Freedomworks link) , whining for a free market, and then to cry about corporate tax rates when massive companies have rigged the tax system to avoid paying any taxes.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered