Anesthesiologist trashes sedated patient — and it ends up costing her

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here is the actual case if anyone would like to read it.
Thanks for the post.

Looks like the media conveniently left out that the plaintiff is an attorney.

Gabapentin for penis irritation?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This i just what I imagine. I think the plaintiffs lawyers are saying the "physical injury" are the emotional damage the it cause the patient by hearing the tape. (I'm only guessing. I haven't read the whole thing yet).

Edit 1: the plaintiff was an attorney. doc should've known to be on her toes

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If injury is in fact required for malpractice, then I don't know why malpractice was in the picture either.
Hurt feelings get bootstrapped into "emotional distress" and there you go. Maybe he needed counseling, or had trouble sleeping, or spent his life savings going to see motivational speakers at airport hotels in the hopes his self esteem would recover.

Or he could be just a gold digging manipulative scammer whose nefarious scheme just happened to collide with the dumbest anesthesiologist in North America.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
#26 oh lord, she mocking black folks now. let me jump in this suit so I can get paid?! :)

#30 Gabapentin does have anesthesia relevance, as it's being used as a pre-op med for post operative pain control in some patients ----in this case though, he has scrotal dyaesthesia
http://dermnetnz.org/site-age-specific/male-genital-dysaesthesia.html
yay Google!

#31 Eh. Medical information is privileged for all medical personal involved with case

32-39 fair enough

Here is the actual case if anyone would like to read it.

So... this was pretty disgusting to read. Both what the physicians did and the lawyer's fairy tales. ("The defendants have severely and permanently injured the Plaintiff.")

This looks pretty straightforward to me, as a layperson:

Count I: Defamation per se - syphilis. Not guilty. There was absolutely nobody in that room who believed he actually had active syphilis, otherwise they would have called the department of public health on him.
Count II: Defamation per se - tuberculosis. Same as above.
Count III: Intentional infliction of emotional distress. Not guilty. They had no idea the patient was recording them. They had no idea he would listen to the tape in the presence of his wife.
Count IV: Negligent infliction of emotional distress. Not guilty for the same reason. Had the patient be awake because of poor anesthesia, and overheard them, it would be a different story.
Count V: Violation of Virginia code about health records privacy. Guilty. No reason to mention PHI unless clinically relevant to the other person.
Count VI: Medical malpractice. Not guilty. As others have stated, there was no real harm done here, definitely not to the level to call it malpractice.

I am very surprised a big part of these were not thrown out by the judge from the beginning.

P.S. I also missed the part about the plaintiff being an attorney. That explains a lot about the litigiousness. But then, seriously, how can he suffer emotional distress when he's been trained to bully and be bullied?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
43-52 Were they drunk? They may have been drunk, seriously.
54-58 And boom goes the dynamite....

So... this was pretty disgusting to read. Both what the physicians did and the lawyer's fairy tales. ("The defendants have severely and permanently injured the Plaintiff.")

Count I: Defamation per se - syphilis. Not guilty. There was absolutely nobody in that room who believed he actually had active syphilis, otherwise they would have called the department of public health on him.
Count II: Defamation per se - tuberculosis. Same as above.
Count III: Intentional infliction of emotional distress. Not guilty. They had no idea the patient was recording them. They had no idea he would listen to the tape in the presence of his wife.
Count IV: Negligent infliction of emotional distress. Not guilty for the same reason. Had the patient be awake because of poor anesthesia, and overheard them, it would be a different story.
Count V: Violation of Virginia code about health records privacy. Guilty. No reason to mention PHI unless clinically relevant to the other person.
Count VI: Medical malpractice. Not guilty. As others have stated, there was no real harm done here, definitely not to the level to call it malpractice.

I am very surprised a big part of these were not thrown out by the judge from the beginning.

P.S. I also missed the part about the plaintiff being an attorney. That explains a lot about the litigiousness.

Yeah I agree. Crap like this is, well, crap! In order to maintain my faith in humanity, I have to assume there was more to the case in order for the judge to keep it on the docket. This is just the complaint, maybe there is something else out there haha (crosses fingers).

Like the case where the burglar sued the family who was gone for vacation because he couldn't get out of their garage after he had fallen in. Stupid!

The infamous McDonald's coffee case, though, gets a bad rap in my opinion. There really was more to that one. The lady suffered third degree burns. That is just too hot haha

59- end
$5,000,000!!!!

3tm4cj.jpg

Like the case where the burglar sued the family who was gone for vacation because he couldn't get out of their garage after he had fallen in. Stupid!
You guys don't realize that stuff like this makes us look stupid in the eyes of the world. Where I grew up, they used to laugh at the absurdity of a houseowner being liable for the medical treatment of the burglar who slipped on the wet floor and broke his leg.

Nowhere else in the world will you see so many labels and warnings for stupid people. Hence the rest of the world can only conclude that we must have a lot of them.

Ok, on the serious tip, that was a very "interesting" read, but then again, it's the complaint so it's all from the plaintiff's point of view. So fine, the patient conveniently turned his recorder on and instead of it going to the locker and it came with him into the OR, blah blah blah. I'm not buying the coincidence. The plaintiff was/is a lawyer in a state that (I'm sure he knew) isn't a two party state. That's convenient. Then you're gonna wait until you're driving home to listen to instructions? Instructions that they just told you before you went home in the PACU where you're wide awake (and are also given in written form by the way). Um yeah. I'm smell a rat.
But hey, give the dude credit, as a post above said, he caught "World's Worst Anesthesiologist" (bedside manner-wise) at her greatest.

This was the drive home with the wife....
hqdefault.jpg

Still, I want to know what the "impersonation of the African American teaching physician" sounded like. I wan the tape for that alone....

Did he sound like this guy?
isaiah_washington_62667.jpg

This guy?
dr-peter-benton.jpg

Or maybe this guy?
Turk-scrubs-31849034-1024-768.png

which is it??!! i must hear it!

Members don't see this ad :)

Count I: Defamation per se - syphilis. Not guilty. There was absolutely nobody in that room who believed he actually had active syphilis, otherwise they would have called the department of public health on him. Agree here.
Count II: Defamation per se - tuberculosis. Same as above. Agree here as well.
Count III: Intentional infliction of emotional distress. Not guilty. They had no idea the patient was recording them. They had no idea he would listen to the tape in the presence of his wife. Agree, i guarantee they had no idea he was/would be aware of this discussion.
Count IV: Negligent infliction of emotional distress. Not guilty for the same reason. Had the patient be awake because of poor anesthesia, and overheard them, it would be a different story. Disagree here, this is for the unintentional. Guy was humiliated and will likely have trust issues with future providers. That's harm.
Count V: Violation of Virginia code about health records privacy. Guilty. No reason to mention PHI unless clinically relevant to the other person. Agree
Count VI: Medical malpractice. Not guilty. As others have stated, there was no real harm done here, definitely not to the level to call it malpractice. Disagree. Intentionally documenting inaccurate information in patients medical record is malpractice and fraud. Deliberately avoid or trying to avoid your patient post op is too.

P.S. I also missed the part about the plaintiff being an attorney. That explains a lot about the litigiousness. But then, seriously, how can he suffer emotional distress when he's been trained to bully and be bullied?

While I'm not defending the actions of the physicians here,I call BS on the idea that the patient "turned on his phone [before the procedure] so he could capture the post-scope instructions." Patients don't do that unless they're paranoid or have reason to be.

Maybe, but not always. I've been too doped up post op to remember what was said to me and it's frustrating, my mom didn't do a very good job of explaining either. So while I wouldn't bring a tape recorder myself, I can see why someone who was alone might legitimately want to. Other situations that come to mind are seniors or patients with memory recall issues. People like my grandma who can't for the life of them explain to anyone else what the doctor actually said.

Or in this new generation, someone who isn't paranoid or has a reason to be but just falls into the ever annoying "I must digitally document every single moment of my life" and post it on facebook....:p

Since hemorrhoids are NORMAL cushions of tissue that we ALL have, I'm not sure how writing it on the scope report is malpractice.

Sorry WS, I call BS. In the article I read, she was quoted as saying "Let's put down that he has hemorrhoids even though we don't see any here" which clearly shows her intent. She meant it as an insult and her comments show she was trying to note something that she, herself, stated wasn't observed. Then it did get documented. So in this case it wasn't normal they were noting.

Maybe, but not always. I've been too doped up post op to remember what was said to me and it's frustrating, my mom didn't do a very good job of explaining either. So while I wouldn't bring a tape recorder myself, I can see why someone who was alone might legitimately want to. Other situations that come to mind are seniors or patients with memory recall issues. People like my grandma who can't for the life of them explain to anyone else what the doctor actually said.

I get that (remember its what I do for a living so I'm well aware of patient's recall and what they don't) and its why I never have a problem with patients audiotaping me when they ask. That's not what he did.

To turn on the recorder BEFORE the procedure in an attempt to have the post procedure instructions recorded? Post procedure instructions are never discussed with the patient intra-procedure when the patient is sedated or under anesthesia.

Had he said, "hey I want to record our discussion in the PACU so I remember it for later, that would have been fine. Even in a state where he doesn't have to tell the other party they're being recorded, it would have been legally ok (if still not shady) if he had turned it on in the PACU when the gastroenterologist came to the bedside.

Or in this new generation, someone who isn't paranoid or has a reason to be but just falls into the ever annoying "I must digitally document every single moment of my life" and post it on facebook....:p

I'd be with you if he wasn't a baby boomer having a colonoscopy. The oversharing of millennials is rampant.

Sorry WS, I call BS. In the article I read, she was quoted as saying "Let's put down that he has hemorrhoids even though we don't see any here" which clearly shows her intent. She meant it as an insult and her comments show she was trying to note something that she, herself, stated wasn't observed. Then it did get documented. So in this case it wasn't normal they were noting.

Ah but you're arguing a point I was never making about intent. My point is that hemorrhoids are a normal finding; everyone is acting like they aren't and that she was falsifying a diagnosis. Its semantics really...everyone has hemorrhoids.

I'm in no way defending what happened and I've had occasion to remind staff that patients are awake for some of my cases and that conversations of a personal nature should be kept at a minimum and that we should not be derogating the patient.

I get that (remember its what I do for a living so I'm well aware of patient's recall and what they don't) and its why I never have a problem with patients audiotaping me when they ask. That's not what he did.

To turn on the recorder BEFORE the procedure in an attempt to have the post procedure instructions recorded? Post procedure instructions are never discussed with the patient intra-procedure when the patient is sedated or under anesthesia.

Had he said, "hey I want to record our discussion in the PACU so I remember it for later, that would have been fine. Even in a state where he doesn't have to tell the other party they're being recorded, it would have been legally ok (if still not shady) if he had turned it on in the PACU when the gastroenterologist came to the bedside.

I agree the better route would have been to ask permission first, which is what I imagine I would do if I ever wanted to go that route. But he might've been afraid they'd say no as there can be violent opposition by people to being recorded. From reading the legal doc above, it sounds like he had it in his street clothes and his street clothes traveled with him. I can see that happening. Then again, the fact that he's a lawyer does definitely make me wonder.

Ah but you're arguing a point I was never making about intent. My point is that hemorrhoids are a normal finding; everyone is acting like they aren't and that she was falsifying a diagnosis. Its semantics really...everyone has hemorrhoids.

I'm in no way defending what happened and I've had occasion to remind staff that patients are awake for some of my cases and that conversations of a personal nature should be kept at a minimum and that we should not be derogating the patient.

I guess you didn't address intent, but what I read, I interpreted as you saying she was documenting something she thought was a normal finding. That clearly wasn't the case, though obviously is a great argument for the defense. We also don't have the benefit of seeing the actual record, so it would likely depend on the wording/coding in the chart as well. If just hemorrhoids, then a gray zone, if abnormal hemorrhoids or bleeding hemorrhoids, etc. then clearly false. So yes, semantics is right. I'm still going to think it's wrong and qualifies as misconduct based on intent and follow through.

wholeheartedly, there are just too many red flags for any intelligent person not to have doubts about this story.

And, regardless, $500K for this? Does money grow on trees in Virginia? People work hard and long for that kind of money. This punishment is way out of proportion with the "crime" (I know it was a civil case). Wouldn't even been closely this high if it were just defamation and privacy law violation. They stretched and raped the concept of medical malpractice to include stuff that did not result in real lasting damage for the patient, just so they can sell it better to the jury. I am sorry, but I have a very hard time believing that anybody could inflict lasting emotional distress in an attorney; they are trained to have a thick skin.

Reactions: 2 users
wholeheartedly, there are just too many red flags for any intelligent person not to have doubts about this story.

And, regardless, $500K for this? Does money grow on trees in Virginia? People work hard and long for that kind of money. This punishment is way out of proportion with the "crime" (I know it was a civil case). Wouldn't even been closely this high if it were just defamation and privacy law violation. They stretched and raped the concept of medical malpractice to include stuff that did not result in real lasting damage for the patient, just so they can sell it better to the jury. I am sorry, but I have a very hard time believing that anybody could inflict lasting emotional distress in an attorney; it seems to be quite the opposite usually. It's like inflicting pain in a SEAL.

Whenever a malpractice case goes to a Jury unpredictable results can and do happen. In this case I don't see how the defendant thought she could win the case. Now, her reputation is in ruins and she will have a hard time finding work. Cases like these should remind everyone why Physicians settle a lot of lawsuits pretrial even when there is NO MALPRACTICE.

36 Year Old Man Dies From Anesthesia Mishap Following Elective Hernia Repair Surgery
The plaintiff’s decedent was a 36-year-old man who died on 7/13/05 secondary to respiratory complications following an elective hernia repair. During the pre-operative anesthesia evaluation, the defendant noted the patient had never been intubated and had required a tracheostomy for a previous surgery in 1992. During this evaluation, the patient asked to be put asleep during the surgery. Despite his history of asthma, obesity, and impaired respiratory function, the defendant decided to administer general endotracheal anesthesia with rapid sequence induction.

The surgery itself was without incident and lasted about two hours. At the end of surgery, at 4:15 P.M., an anesthesia reversal agent was given. Between 4:00 P.M. and 4:30 P.M., the patient’s ETCO2 levels remained elevated between 43 and 46. Nevertheless, at 4:25 P.M., the defendant extubated the patient in the operating room. Following extubation, the patient began to have difficulty breathing.

At 4:28 P.M., the patient was noted to be agitated as he was awaking. He dislodged his IV catheter, and the defendant had to re-establish IV access. At this time,the patient was in respiratory distress and unable to maintain adequate oxygen saturations. The defendant mask ventilated the patient because he was experiencing severe bronchial spasms. While being moved to an OR stretcher, the patient desaturated and he again suffered respiratory distress. The patient was mask ventilated for several minutes, during which time he would improve but then, when left independently, he would desaturate down to the low 60’s. He was continued on mask ventilation and his chest wall was ridged with minimal movement despite positive ventilation. Additionally, he was given several puffs of Albuterol with minimal improvement.

Given the patient’s repeated desaturations, a fiber optic scope was used to evaluate his upper airway, which revealed a severely edematous upper airway with a folded epiglottis. An attempt was finally made to re-intubate; however, an esophageal intubation was detected and the ET tube was removed. The patient was again put on mask ventilation, and eventually he was re-intubated. His oxygen saturations continued to drop. At that time,he received several Albuterol puffs without improvement in his oxygen saturations or peak airway pressures.

During this respiratory crisis, the surgeon was called back to the OR to perform a tracheostomy, however, there was no improvement in the patient’s oxygenation and he continued to have asystole. Subsequently, he went into respiratory arrest and coded at 5:15 P.M. Between 5:15 P.M. and 5:59 P.M., the code team attempted to resuscitate with no cardiac activity achieved. At 5:59 P.M., the code and CPR were terminated, and the patient was pronounceddead.

The plaintiff claimed that the defendant deviated from the accepted standard of care for the average qualified anesthesiologist when he failed to immediately recognize and appreciate the patient’s post-operative respiratory crisis, and immediately re-intubate the patient after initial attempts to ventilate him with a bag and mask failed.

The defendant contended that he met the standard of care and that the patient’s death was an unfortunate medical outcome that could not have been foreseen or prevented. Moreover, it was the patient’s choice to elect the riskier anesthesia for this surgery.

The case settled during discovery for $2,000,000.

Lubin & Meyer attorneys represented the plaintiff in this anesthesia death lawsuit.

1. The Chicago Daily Law Bulletin featured a multimillion-dollar verdict secured by the family of a woman who died after being improperly anesthetized for hip surgery. The anesthesiologist settled prior to trial, resulting in the family being awarded a total of $11.475 million for medical negligence. The 61-year-old mother and wife was hospitalized in Chicago for elective hip replacement surgery. Because of a prior bad experience with the insertion of a breathing tube for general anesthesia, she requested a spinal anesthetic. Her anesthesiologist had trouble inserting a needle for the spinal anesthesia, so he went ahead with general anesthesia. The anesthesiologist was then unable, after several attempts, to insert the breathing tube. He planned to breathe for her through a mask and let her wake up to breathe on her own. A second anesthesiologist came into the room and decided to attempt the intubation. He tried but was also unsuccessful. Finally, a third anesthesiologist came into the operating room and tried inserting the breathing tube several times. He too was unsuccessful. All of the attempts at inserting the tube caused the tissues in her airway to swell shut, blocking off oxygen and causing cardiac arrest. She suffered severe brain damage and died.

http://theanesthesiaconsultant.com/tag/medical-malpractice-lawsuits/

And, regardless, $500K for this? Does money grow on trees in Virginia? People work hard and long for that kind of money. This punishment is way out of proportion with the "crime" (I know it was a civil case). Wouldn't even been closely this high if it were just defamation and privacy law violation. They stretched and raped the concept of medical malpractice to include stuff that did not result in real lasting damage for the patient, just so they can sell it better to the jury. I am sorry, but I have a very hard time believing that anybody could inflict lasting emotional distress in an attorney; they are trained to have a thick skin.

never said I agreed with the amount of payout.

I know I do.:boom:

Freedom of speech is a fundamental right, but it annoys me when people say something offensive and expect no negative consequences, and then when they face scrutiny they try and hide behind the first amendment.

You can say anything you want! The government is not inhibiting your right to express yourself!

However, if you express yourself in an offensive and hateful manner, expect societal consequences.

1. The Chicago Daily Law Bulletin featured a multimillion-dollar verdict secured by the family of a woman who died after being improperly anesthetized for hip surgery. The anesthesiologist settled prior to trial, resulting in the family being awarded a total of $11.475 million for medical negligence. The 61-year-old mother and wife was hospitalized in Chicago for elective hip replacement surgery. Because of a prior bad experience with the insertion of a breathing tube for general anesthesia, she requested a spinal anesthetic. Her anesthesiologist had trouble inserting a needle for the spinal anesthesia, so he went ahead with general anesthesia. The anesthesiologist was then unable, after several attempts, to insert the breathing tube. He planned to breathe for her through a mask and let her wake up to breathe on her own. A second anesthesiologist came into the room and decided to attempt the intubation. He tried but was also unsuccessful. Finally, a third anesthesiologist came into the operating room and tried inserting the breathing tube several times. He too was unsuccessful. All of the attempts at inserting the tube caused the tissues in her airway to swell shut, blocking off oxygen and causing cardiac arrest. She suffered severe brain damage and died.
http://theanesthesiaconsultant.com/tag/medical-malpractice-lawsuits/

Blade. I don't think there have been updated airway malpractice cases in a long time. N

Many of these multi million dollar airway disaster cases pre date the routine use of video largyscopy.

Glidescopes, storz c Mac whatever ur choice of video largyscopy did not become routinely available in health care facilities until the mid to late 2000 decade.

Anesthesia equipment technology is very good these days. One of the reasons anesthesia is even safer than ever (unfortunately this gives the AANA more propaganda evidence) so crnas are just as safe as anesthesiologist.

Many people simply do not mess around with any potential difficult airway and use the video largyscopy as the first attempt and call it a day.

Freedom of speech is a fundamental right, but it annoys me when people say something offensive and expect no negative consequences, and then when they face scrutiny they try and hide behind the first amendment.

You can say anything you want! The government is not inhibiting your right to express yourself!

However, if you express yourself in an offensive and hateful manner, expect societal consequences.
It is not reasonable to expect to pay 10x of an average working American's annual salary for a few offensive words. Nor is it reasonable to expect to be paid 1-2x a physician specialist's annual income because someone hurt my feelings.
The whole situation reeks on both sides.

Reactions: 3 users

This....

It is not reasonable to expect to pay 10x of an average working American's annual salary for a few offensive words. Nor is it reasonable to expect to be paid 1-2x a physician specialist's annual income because someone hurt my feelings.
The whole situation reeks on both sides.

a few offensive words vs verbally abusing someone while under anesthesia........again, I'm not saying the lawsuit was right, but i understand.

Regarding the hemorrhoid diagnosis, I remember being told in residency that insurance doesn't always pay for a normal screening colonoscopy. So the work-around was for the GI doc/Anesthesiologist to put Internal Hemorrhoids as the Post-op Diagnosis rather than Normal Exam. I don't think this is still the case, but there may be people who are still in the habit of doing it that way. Has anyone else heard something like this?

Is there no right of the doctor to have an outrageous and disproportionate award of damages overturned by a court in Virginia? In Canada that is what happens to out of line damages, whether awarded by judge or jury.

I listened to the audio. The impression I got from the tape is different than when reading it out of context.

My first reaction was how annoying must that patient have been in pre-op to trigger this? The guy was apparently paranoid enough to covertly record his colonoscopy. I'd be willing to bet he's a pretty annoying guy to talk to. I don't buy the whole post-op instruction thing. That makes no sense at all.

My second reaction was disgust at the high school level of maturity on the part of the anesthesiologist. She doesn't sound so much angry as stupid and immature. She deserves to be punished with a fine and loss of her job. She should also have been required to see a counselor to discuss anger management and professionalism. The whole hemorrhoid thing was simply ******ed, but certainly didn't constitute "falsifying the record". Recording normal blood pressures while the patient is hypotenuse as F... now that would be falsifying the record. The whole judgment was ridiculous.

Thankfully I've never witnessed behavior like this in all my years of practice. I wouldn't tolerate it if I did.

Reactions: 4 users
I would cite this example as to why juries should never be used for medmal cases. The jury didn't care what the law actually was, they were just so affronted (and rightfully so) that they felt this guy deserved his jackpot. The jurors were just as immature as the anesthesiologist here and should not be responsible for making this decision since they clearly could not separate their emotions from their actual duty to give her a fair trial.

Really Winged Scapula? Everyone has hemorroids? Even vegeterians? That is news to me. Are we just talking Americans? Cuz the rest of the world doesnt eat like we do.

Learn something new everyday. I was talking about the abnormal swelling part. Didnt know the normal stuff was called the same thing.
Good to know.

This is interesting. The guy on the far right is Steve Susman, one of the nation's top trial lawyers. The lady on the left is Professor Lerner from GW school of law. She has published a lot of papers concerning jury trials. I knew about those two before I saw this. I was unfamiliar with the other two before I saw this. If you are interested in legal perspective, this is interesting stuff.

Edit: As a side note, I much prefer medicine to law. This forum is a great example. So boring, so egocentric, and generally has low value-added to society. I know doctors can be egotistical too, but in my opinion there is not another field as prestige-whorish as law.

Last edited:
Really Winged Scapula?

Yes. BTW, to "alert" me to this you either have to quote me or use the @ symbol followed by my user name. I only happened across this response because someone else liked another one of my comments above.

Everyone has hemorroids?

Yes.

Even vegeterians?

Yes.

Are we just talking Americans?

No.

:p

My point obviously is/was that hemorrhoids are normal anatomy and that as medical providers we should recognize that and not use the colloqual/general public definition of abnormal swelling/bleeding/prolapse as the definition.

if you want to talk about proper words, we aren't "medical providers". we're doctors.

Wikipedia said:
Hemorrhoids (US English) or haemorrhoids UK /ˈhɛmərɔɪdz/, are vascular structures in the anal canal. [1][2] In their normal state, they are cushions that help with stool control.[3] They become pathological or piles[4] when swollen or inflamed. At this point the condition is technically known as hemorrhoidal disease.[3]

Medscape said:
Confusion often arises because the term "hemorrhoid" has been used to refer to both normal anatomic structures and pathologic structures.

Yes but at the same time I think it's fairly self-explanatory that when someone writes hemorrhoids in a problem list, history, or physical findings, they are referring to the pathology not the normal anatomy - even if it's not the most precise or linguistically accurate term
That is true.

The reason I was being such a PITA about the definition is the numerous posters who were claiming fraudulent diagnosis and seemed not to know the difference.

A claim could be made that while the standard is to only note hemorrhoids if pathology was present and that in this case the notation in someone with normal anatomy was meant to obfuscate (there is no financial benefit for noting the finding), we don't really know what this practitioner's personal standard was/is.

Whenever a malpractice case goes to a Jury unpredictable results can and do happen. In this case I don't see how the defendant thought she could win the case. Now, her reputation is in ruins and she will have a hard time finding work. Cases like these should remind everyone why Physicians settle a lot of lawsuits pretrial even when there is NO MALPRACTICE.
Issue is plaintiff is a lawyer who wanted 5 million plus.

He most likely didn't want to settle for anything less than 1/3 million (which is what she probably carried).

I am assuming ur malpractice company tried to settle it for less than 500k.

Just my thoughts.

Knew an anesthesiologist with airway fire in panhandle Florida which made nbc news. Young 29 year old patient woman. Looked bad. Jury would have eaten anesthesiologist alive. He settled for It think 500k very quickly. It was the smart move to do.

Now in this tape recording case. I am thinking the plaintiff wanted a lot more than what her insurance wanted to settle for. Just a hunch. I don't think he would have even gone for a 500k verdict if he was asking for 5 million plus.

The whole hemorrhoid thing was simply ******ed, but certainly didn't constitute "falsifying the record".

of course it does; she clearly says "even though we don't see any..." and deliberately records something in the chart that she acknowledges are not observed during the colonoscopy and essentially admits (or at least believes herself) that it's a false diagnosis.

anyway i don't get the whole anesthesiologist writing anything into the chart that has to do with a colonscopy. wtf is that? that's the gi doc's job. do any of you guys write the gastroenterologist findings in the chart?? what are we, glorified dictation-takers?

We don't take personal effects into procedure rooms.
as a preop nurse I have no idea how they allowed this to happen. We have rooms in the OR were NO ONE can have a cell phone cause it screws up equipment. I tell patients everyday to have all their belongings off and either stored away or with a family member. And I check.

plus how did they not catch the cell phone when they were positioning the patient? It was a colonoscopy right? So there goes the obvious hiding place (if he was a former prisoner or something). There is more to this story than the public will acknowledge.

Here's the AJC piece on it:

http://newstome.blog.ajc.com/2015/0...warded-500000-for-verbal-abuse/#__federated=1

At the very least, this is certainly an interesting case.

Hateful and disrespectful communication with a patient should not ever be tolerated--even if they are under some level of sedation/anesthesia or if they are considered unconscious.
And you shouldn't have to give a patient one gtt more of any agent just so you can act like jackos and talk smack about a patient or his/her family. That's absolute insanity.

You have a locker room? Go there and talk your smack if you feel you must vent. You want to bitch about them, give then a fake name and bitch quietly at separate table in a bar--like the mob does. LOL. I mean if the MOB can show discretion, um, don't you think healthcare professionals should????

Don't EVER expose a patient to this kind of thing; even if you think/assume he or she can't hear you. It's hurtful to patients, and it can been said as much that this can be so on a subconscious level; hence, yes, it could negatively affect the patient. So what if you can't show causation of damages in cases of a subconscious affect? Seriously, I don't want to even possibly contribute to the negative or problematic human response of a person on a subconscious level, especially has they are vulnerable and have no control to speak for themselves in such situations. I don't want that on my conscience. Maybe other people can blow it off and don't have direction from their consciences in this regard; but how do you know you have not on some level negatively affecting that patient as he or she is in some altered state of consciousness???? You don't. So respect that.

We are there to help not add to hurt. It is that simple.

If we are to give those people's bodies that have died due diligence of care and respect, why should it be any less for those that are still living but are under some altered state of consciousness???????

God, I just don't get what is happening with people anymore.

Last edited: