Anesthesiologists in/involved with the Pharmaceutical Industry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OxToCA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to learn more about working for the FDA and/or in pharmaceutical development as an anesthesiologist. So, I'm posting here to gather your feedback since, according to some anesthesiologists, pursuing anesthesiology over another specialty is inadvisable since there isn't a need for new drugs. What are your opinions? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IMO attending medical school and doing residency would be a waste of time if you want to work primarily in drug development. A Ph.D and post-doc in biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology makes a lot more sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to develop drugs then get a combined PhD/MD and then do a post-doc AND a residency. It isn't just like you finish residency and walk up to a company and get an offer. Most won't even consider you unless you have significant research experience.

I have a good friend who heads a lab developing diabetes medications. Initially with Agouron, now with Pfizer since Agouron was acquired. He is a Ph.D biochemist with an expertise in X-Ray crystallography. For the stuff he is doing (actual drug development) an MD and anesthesiology residency would be a total waste of time.

Probably not the type of role you're looking for, but a potential moonlighting opportunity if nothing else...I work for a CRO doing a ton of phase 1 studies, and we use anesthesiologists a lot when we're working with emerging benzos (they're still coming up with new ones, apparently). Fairly bland work compared to the OR, I imagine, but we do give >10mg Versed IVSP and some other potent treats, so the PP anesthesiologists that come in for those studies are mandatory. And, I imagine, like all other things in private research, they make an easy grand or two for 6ish hours of work.