Anesthesiology Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minwoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, congrats to everyone who matched today!! I'm psyched about Friday and cannot wait..

I'm currently enrolled in an elective called surgical anatomy...traditionally this is one of those courses where I can do almost nothing and get an easy pass. But I also have the option of requesting a cadaver and having free reign over any dissections I may want to do. As someone going into anesthesiology, would getting a cadaver and doing some cutting benefit me later when I have to do central lines, nerve blocks, etc? Are there any specific areas of the body where I should become very familiar with the external/internal anatomy? Any thoughts on how I can maximize this opportunity to benefit me later as an anesthesiology resident would be much appreciated!

Most of my fellow 4th years taking this elective have not requested a cadaver.

Members don't see this ad.

A few ideas to start with:

Anatomy for regional anesthesia:
- brachial plexus (also anatomy of the IJ and subclavian veins for central lines)
- brachial plexus branches
- lumbar plexus
- sciatic nerve
- femoral nerve (also femoral artery and vein)
- popliteal nerve.

If you can dream their 3D anatomy, you're golden. You can see most of the important blocks here.

Also be comfortable with laryngotracheal anatomy, crycothyroid membrane and region. If you learn how to do a proper crycothyrotomy on a cadaver (get a 6.0 endotracheal tube from an OR), you will (almost) never be afraid if you get into a can't ventilate - can't intubate situation.

Learn the anatomy of the heart and the vessels and structures around it. It will help you a lot if you want to learn echo. Again, what matters is to be able to see things 3D and in cross-section.

Reactions: 1 users
How about going outside and running around for a bit. Honestly what FFP said is spot on. I would also look at Tibial IO sites too. If they have an open kit or God forbid one of the cadavers has an io line insterted.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First, congrats to everyone who matched today!! I'm psyched about Friday and cannot wait..

I'm currently enrolled in an elective called surgical anatomy...traditionally this is one of those courses where I can do almost nothing and get an easy pass. But I also have the option of requesting a cadaver and having free reign over any dissections I may want to do. As someone going into anesthesiology, would getting a cadaver and doing some cutting benefit me later when I have to do central lines, nerve blocks, etc? Are there any specific areas of the body where I should become very familiar with the external/internal anatomy? Any thoughts on how I can maximize this opportunity to benefit me later as an anesthesiology resident would be much appreciated!

Most of my fellow 4th years taking this elective have not requested a cadaver.

Just relax. You'll learn everything in due time.

Good suggestions.

I did a similar anatomical dissection. I exposed the subclavian vein and did a write up about anatomical considerations for central line placement.

Spent a day in the cadaver lab and learned a decent amount.

Learned a lot more about my golf game that month though.

Enjoy your time at the end of med school.
I strongly second FFPs recommendations, particularly the brachial plexus/subclavian/IJ anatomy.
I would go from the chin to the axilla looking at trachea, vessels and nerves. Muscles and bones basically just for landmarks, but really figure out in your head where the nerves and vessels go relative to them.
I would imagine opening the skin, removing the clavicle, and following the nerves down would be the most helpful thing for me to do, even at this point.

Probably as important as the dissection is getting clinical context. Youtube and NYSORA etc are full of good videos of nerve blocks and line placement, watch those then check it out in real life.

All this said plenty of time to figure it out later too, but dont waste your time, or the gift you have been given. One very helpful thing I did during a similar rotation was to look at the collection of pediatric hearts they had with all the various abnormalities, gave a lot of context to the hemodynamics. See if they have a similar collection.

Reactions: 1 user