Anesthesiology Critical Care 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliGasDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying for Anesthesiology CC this year? What do you think of the match? Seems like a lot more people are applying; to the Cali programs at least.

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't know what to think about the match, it's not easy getting time off for interviews like it was when applying to residency. I haven't seen any data for the other fellowship matches in terms of number of programs ranked for a successful match.

Last edited:
I've also heard the same, 5-6 interviews. I'm doing 6. PDs are saying that they are seeing a lot more apps compared to prior years, but that could likely be due to uncertainty with the new match process. From talking to other candidates though, there seems to be more interest. There's like 4 people in my class applying, and others have echoed those same numbers, about 3-4/class.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my class we have 3 CCM, 3 Peds, 4 chronic pain, 1 Regional, and 4 are looking for jobs in PP. Programs have told me that they don't know what to think about the match so they are interviewing a lot of candidates to be safe.

Last edited:
K -

Hey! I'm in ICU fellowship now, and think you (and others doing ICU after anesthesiology) are making a great choice. My program interviewed a ton of applicants; the combination of a Match and increased interest in ICU has made things very busy. I'm intrigued that no one in your class is doing Cardiac.

Great luck in the Match, and be sure to let us know where you end up! There are a ton of great training programs out there.

Haha, I'm glad as well it's only a one week turn around time. It'd be brutal to wait a month.

Less people doing cards at my program as well, still a few though. Critical care is just cooler, lol.

What kind of positions are graduates from CC fellowships going into? I'm assuming most settle into academics?

K -

Hey! I'm in ICU fellowship now, and think you (and others doing ICU after anesthesiology) are making a great choice. My program interviewed a ton of applicants; the combination of a Match and increased interest in ICU has made things very busy. I'm intrigued that no one in your class is doing Cardiac.

Great luck in the Match, and be sure to let us know where you end up! There are a ton of great training programs out there.

Technically we have a current CA3 that's in the CT match this year for family logistics. So we've had about 1 CT per year over the last few years. We had a couple people interested in CT in my class but they decided to go straight into PP instead.

wash u anyone?

Wash-U was awesome, I'd be happy to match there.

In terms of jobs, it seems like about 50/50 Academics/PP. Almost all of the PP jobs were doing part time CC/OR. Only one fellow I talked to went 100% OR and it was because he was looking for a very specific area on the West Coast.

Have you guys thought about doing both CC/CT? I've seen some places "combine" the two and it's fairly intriguing to really be able to handle anything in the OR and ICU. For CC, that's the order of importance in your application? Connections, research, letters, ITEs etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secants -

I'm going to do both ICU and CT. Almost done with ICU now, and loading up for fellowship #2. In many ways, it's a huge investment.

Can't take the suspense either. I've been checking everyday hoping the results magically show up early +pissed+. lol.

I know it doesn't matter but just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the results show up. Do they email us with where we matched or do we just log into sfmatch tmw morning and click "match results" or something.

Congratulations peeps! You folks are going to be awesome.
If only I were younger and could take the abuse--I'd love to do a year of ICU to become a better doctor.

Congratulations everyone! I'm psyched about starting my fellowship this July. I just finished an elective ICU month where I was allowed to act like a pseudo-fellow, and it was an amazing experience. More of us Anesthesiologists should do CCM.

Critical Care Anesthesiology FellowshipJune
APPLICANT DATA
Applicant registrations196
# Applicant Rank Lists Submitted147
Matched Total127
Unmatched Total20
Applicant Matching %(Overall)86%
Total # of Withdrawals20
PROGRAM DATA
# of Participating Programs47
Positions Offered150
Positions Filled127
Unfilled Positions23

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I updated the post above with this years match stats. Interesting, there were 20 people who didn't match, but there were 23 unfilled spots.

Trying to apply to the top programs, with bias towards west coast. So far, applying to Stanford, UCSF, UDub, UPMC, UPenn, Duke, Cornell, UMich and UCLA. Decided against applying to MGH, BW, Hopkins as I'm less interested in East Coast and have low ITE scores. Didn't hear great things about the Chicago programs.
I'm having a little hard time figuring out which programs get you the best training. Am I missing any fantastic programs where I might still have a chance with poor ITE scores?

What about WashU in StL? I applied to Duke, CCF, MUSC, Emory, UAB, Vandy, WashU, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, UW, and Oregon. I only have a couple of interviews scheduled thusfar, hoping that more will trickle in in the coming weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I have a feeling it's kind of a slow start to send out interviews. Really worried about how I'm going to get time off to interview at a lot of places!

Yeah, I have a feeling it's kind of a slow start to send out interviews. Really worried about how I'm going to get time off to interview at a lot of places!

Yeah, I control the department schedule, and I'm not going to be able to interview everywhere I applied, since the few places that were interested in January interviews sent the invite well after I had my January schedule made, and couldn't do them during the days that I planned to be off. My thought is to have a certain number of programs in mind, and when you reach that, don't worry about trying to make it to further interviews.

Most likely depends on where you're applying. If you do just mgh, Hopkins and UCSF you probably need more interviews. Probably best to sprinkle in one or two backups, unless you want to roll the dice on the post match list.

I'm interviewing at 6-7 programs. I had more interviews, but I just don't have the time or money to do it all, especially with demanding rotations coming late winter/spring.

they haven't sent out invites yet

Hi all. I'm a medical student interested in a combined Anesthesiology/CCM residency. I have a meeting with our clerkship director to ask, but I thought I'd check here too: how competitive are these programs relative to the straight anesthesiology residencies at their same programs?

I understand that most (all) of these programs are highly competitive at baseline (UCSF, UW, OHSU, Hopkins, etc.), but just wanted feedback on whether the combined programs tend to be roughly more/less/equally competitive as the anesthesiology programs at the same institutions.