Angle of declination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iflossem89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So.....I am a D1 and I bought some Dfv Nike retro 2.5 mag loupes. I have really enjoyed them.
The problem I have been noticing is I still have to bend my neck more than I would like to when doing a prep. I contacted the rep and he said that they don't measure you for the declination angle and that it is a standard 22 degrees. He said they could redrill the frames to make it up to 30 degrees. That immediately sounds great. My concern is that it will then put strain on my eyes from looking down further. Any insight would be appreciated, especially if you've had this done.

Members don't see this ad.

I have flip down loupes with 40-50 degrees of declination. It does not strain my eyes at all to look through them. However, I do not have experience with the declination on TTL loupes. It may take some getting used to, but they won't strain your eyes unless the IP distance is off or the lenses are mounted too high on the lens.