Angle ranking section of the PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Impulse155

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What tricks do you guys use for this section, im averaging over 12 on all the other sections but struggling to get even 8 right on the angle ranking which is giving me problems.

Ive heard so far:
Find the largest, then the smallest and work from there.
Ive heard about the laptop trick.
Guess
Any other ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Those are the tricks I try to use. I've also found it pretty helpful to not put your face really close to the screen. So I would usually just kinda sit back a little. And I try to think of the angles as ranking them in terms of how "sharp" it is. Like, looking at the tip of it and trying to decide which angles are sharper or duller. It's kind of tricky because they'll make the smallest and largest angles pretty obvious sometimes, but they'll make the middle two really similar which is why I like looking at the "sharpness" of the angles instead because it kind of switches your perspective a bit. Hope this helps a little! Good luck!

What tricks do you guys use for this section, im averaging over 12 on all the other sections but struggling to get even 8 right on the angle ranking which is giving me problems.

Ive heard so far:
Find the largest, then the smallest and work from there.
Ive heard about the laptop trick.
Guess
Any other ideas?

Have you heard of the "Hill Technique"? I was skeptical of it at first, but I thought it couldn't hurt to try it. I was averaging 7-9 angles per CDP, but after the Hill technique, I was getting 10-12. It's pretty awesome. For me, at least, it seemed to work really well and I definitely used it on the real PAT (and ended up getting a 22).

I used my basic instincts first coupled with finding the largest/smallest but when it came down to two answers, depending on whether it was an acute or obtuse angle, I would use the laptop trick or the hill technique. After this regime, I would regularly score 13-15 on Crack the PAT and I ended up with a 24.

The techniques really helped build my confidence because I knew I could solve it fast regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know i know, its super hard to search the forums. its kind of like trying to get an email address (like, super hard man). luckily, i was able to pull out some of my extra black magix from selling some beans to a giant and find this!!1

http://206.82.221.135/showthread.php?t=545924

gosh if its this hard to find something like a previous post...well gosh darn it, i just dont know how i'll survive dental schooL!!11one11!111

Reactions: 1 user
also, do i get +1 internets for finding a post that actually links you to the other one you wanted??!?/1

In addition to all of the above mentioned methods. I try to narrow it down to two really close ones. Then I try to cover up the legs of the angle until both legs are equal length. I do the same thing with the other angle and then check to see which one is sharper.

Just tried using the bicycle down the hill technique and I got 12/15. Well see if I got lucky or if it actually helped me that much lol.
Thanks very much, its funny how things so stupid can be such a great deal of help. I tried quickly using the laptop technique however I didnt care too much for it.

Just tried using the bicycle down the hill technique and I got 12/15. Well see if I got lucky or if it actually helped me that much lol.
Thanks very much, its funny how things so stupid can be such a great deal of help. I tried quickly using the laptop technique however I didnt care too much for it.

Awesome. I hope it works out for you! I know it helped me out a ton. Somehow, visualizing a bike rolling down a dangerous hill just did it for me. :laugh:

i know i know, its super hard to search the forums. its kind of like trying to get an email address (like, super hard man). luckily, i was able to pull out some of my extra black magix from selling some beans to a giant and find this!!1

http://206.82.221.135/showthread.php?t=545924

gosh if its this hard to find something like a previous post...well gosh darn it, i just dont know how i'll survive dental schooL!!11one11!111

UCLAzy - Why do things yourself when you can get other people to do them for you? haha thanks for the links

I also read somewhere about a method for using the pixels of the computer screen to help judge steepness? Anyone familiar with this strategy?

Just scored 12/15 on the angles section, ended up with a 23. Bumped my score from normally getting 18/19s to a 23 lmao.
Go go bicycles!

Took another PAT section, got 12 right on angles. Definately helping but I dont understandw hy lmao.
Thanks.

Took another PAT section, got 12 right on angles. Definately helping but I dont understandw hy lmao.
Thanks.

It just allows you to examine minor details which you might have overlooked without the technique. Make sure you practice, get good and then do it all over again so that you are confident. Scoring well comes down justifiable confidence before taking that dang test. GL!