Angry at self for being "non traditional"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cephalexinRX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 26 y/o male currently working as a cytotechnologist at an Ivy medical center. Medicine never really occurred to me until recently. I need to do a few things before even applying. If I start, it will be when I'm at least 29.

I sometimes experience great anger towards myself. Other people started medical school straight from undergrad at 21-23, etc. They must be residents or fellows now. Do any of you ever get angry at yourselves? I mean, if we got things right the first time, figured things out, etc, we wouldn't be wasting the years we are now. Whatever, might as well not waste more.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 26 y/o male currently working as a cytotechnologist at an Ivy medical center. Medicine never really occurred to me until recently. I need to do a few things before even applying. If I start, it will be when I'm at least 29.

I sometimes experience great anger towards myself. Other people started medical school straight from undergrad at 21-23, etc. They must be residents or fellows now. Do any of you ever get angry at yourselves? I mean, if we got things right the first time, figured things out, etc, we wouldn't be wasting the years we are now. Whatever, might as well not waste more.
The journey is more important that the destination. This is a career very much about delayed gratification, and you will frequently look at your 'settled' colleagues while you are in year 6 of 10 of your medical training, and say: "what was I thinking?!?". Don't dwell on the time investment too much. There is nothing you can do about it.

No, I never have felt that way. We're all following our own life trajectories here, and who's to say that a trad pathway is inherently better? Both have their advantages and disadvantages. There also isn't one right path that works for everyone; it depends on the person, and priorities/goals change for all of us over time. Do you ever look at the things you thought you wanted out of life ten years ago and kind of laugh to yourself? You're a different person now, with different priorities and dreams. And that's ok.

I think it would help you if you focused less on what everyone else is doing and more on what you're doing. And give yourself some credit. It takes courage to change your life to the extent that we nontrads do. As you continue along this path, you'll be amazed at how many of your age peers will say something along the lines of, "I wish I could go to med school, but...." Well, you're not going to be a "but." So figure out what you need to do to make this thing happen for yourself, and keep moving forward.

:luck: to you. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you ever get angry at yourselves? I mean, if we got things right the first time, figured things out, etc, we wouldn't be wasting the years we are now. Whatever, might as well not waste more.

The way I see it I would not have been a very good med student or doctor straight out of undergrad. Maturity. Understanding people who don't have it as great as me. Plus the whole critical thinking part that my job has taught me. I think my non-traditionalness will make me a much better doctor so it will be easier down the road than it would've been had I went straight to med school.

Plus I wouldn't have been able to call myself a rocket surgeon :)

Reactions: 1 user
Can't say that I ever get angry with myself, but I definitely have moments where I feel pretty impatient and want to rush things more than I should. Especially having former classmates who are finishing residency programs now.

The thing is, while I probably could have survived medical school and graduated just fine starting as a 22 yr old, I've changed so much in the past few years with the experiences I've had that I don't think the outcome would have been as good. I'm not walking in naive and blind, I'm much better at studying and have a far better sense of balance than I ever did, a bit more confident, and I've just got a better overall perspective and skill set now. So while I do get impatient sometimes, I'm glad I took this route and think it was for the best in the long run.

Can't say that I ever get angry with myself, but I definitely have moments where I feel pretty impatient and want to rush things more than I should. Especially having former classmates who are finishing residency programs now.

The thing is, while I probably could have survived medical school and graduated just fine starting as a 22 yr old, I've changed so much in the past few years with the experiences I've had that I don't think the outcome would have been as good. I'm not walking in naive and blind, I'm much better at studying and have a far better sense of balance than I ever did, a bit more confident, and I've just got a better overall perspective and skill set now. So while I do get impatient sometimes, I'm glad I took this route and think it was for the best in the long run.

Indeed. Most of us are thinking about how we matured, etc. Doesn't this make your feel inadequate compared to other people? I mean, they started younger, we didn't. I don't know about my maturity during undergrad. I feel my grades are fine, I'm just missing the MCAT, physics, and all labs for the pre-reqs. I took physics in high school, but that doesn't count.

If I start at 29+, so be it.

No, I never have felt that way. We're all following our own life trajectories here, and who's to say that a trad pathway is inherently better? Both have their advantages and disadvantages. There also isn't one right path that works for everyone; it depends on the person, and priorities/goals change for all of us over time. Do you ever look at the things you thought you wanted out of life ten years ago and kind of laugh to yourself? You're a different person now, with different priorities and dreams. And that's ok.

I think it would help you if you focused less on what everyone else is doing and more on what you're doing. And give yourself some credit. It takes courage to change your life to the extent that we nontrads do. As you continue along this path, you'll be amazed at how many of your age peers will say something along the lines of, "I wish I could go to med school, but...." Well, you're not going to be a "but." So figure out what you need to do to make this thing happen for yourself, and keep moving forward.

:luck: to you. :)

We won't be "buts". Nice.

Indeed. Most of us are thinking about how we matured, etc. Doesn't this make your feel inadequate compared to other people? I mean, they started younger, we didn't. I don't know about my maturity during undergrad. I feel my grades are fine, I'm just missing the MCAT, physics, and all labs for the pre-reqs. I took physics in high school, but that doesn't count.

If I start at 29+, so be it.

Again, try not to compare yourself to "other people." When I was younger, I was full of pride. I was always the youngest at this or that. I enjoyed the praise and attention I got for my various pursuits. At this point in my life, I am still competitive, and always will be, but I do not care so much about my age. I am taking this course because I feel it is what my calling has always been. I have always had the "potential" to do this, but I have not always had the long range thinking that I enjoy now. This is where the maturity factors in. I wanted instant results. I wanted a large paycheck and I wanted it yesterday. Life is not about being the best, or making the most money. Life is doing what makes you happy. This path brings me pleasure, and at some point, the money will come. But this time it will be secondary to my pleasure. In the end, I will be doing what I love, and make money doing it. The way I rank in comparison to others really doesn't factor into my overall happiness. Hopefully it won't factor into yours.

Also, being 29 as a nontraditional student will not garner you any sympathy in this forum. ;)

I would describe my feelings as perhaps a little jealousy. I've always greatly enjoyed helping people and that is why I decided to go into nursing originally. However, I did not know that my life would lead down this path until I was sick, and now I want to specialize in taking care of women with high-risk pregnancy conditions. Whenever I do get these feelings, I think of all that I have accomplished since graduating from high school -stable realtionship with husband, good job, many degrees, three beautiful children, survived devastating illness...the list goes on.

And 29 is still young, in my opinion. I'll be turning the big 29 next year. In the grand scheme of things, being a nontraditional gives us a better perspective at life. When we are 70, it won't matter that much when we started medical school.

Sounds like my son who told me yesterday, "My penis makes me clever."

Haha. I love the little things they say throughout the day. I have no idea where they come up with this stuff. :D

Haha. I love the little things they say throughout the day. I have no idea where they come up with this stuff. :D

Yeah, I didn't even know that he knew the word "clever." It totally caught me off guard, and I think I responded by cracking up. It might just be a little boy thing, lol!

I have certainly looked back on my life and and considered how different things could have been now but........... I know for and absolute fact that I wouldn't have made it anywhere with the mindset I had at that age. Hell, I wasn't even mature enough to comprehend the significance of college or high school upon reflection. I am what you would consider a very non-trad student. I never thought I would have what it took to become a physician or even go to college. College was the last thing on my mind when I dropped out of high school the first week of the 11th grade. I was told that hard work will out-weigh schooling and the harder I worked the better off I would be. Well, while I am sure this mentality has worked out for a select few in our population, I know for the most part it is a fairy tale. With out an education, nobody and I mean absolutely no one took me seriously in the professional work place. So, at 27 I finally decided to go to college to expand my horizons and get out from under this glass ceiling. It took many years of struggling to really take my education seriously. I am now glad I chose the path I did because if I hadn't, who knows how much effort I would have put into an education. All the hardships just reinforced my determination that I will do something better with my life. All the people who doubted that a high school drop out would become a doctor, lit a fire under me even more than I could have imagined. Was it stupid of me to drop out of school? Absolutely! Did I learn from my 9 years of life experiences and mistakes? Absolutely! Should I get mad at myself for choosing the path I did? NO! It changed my outlook and corrected my way of thinking. Now at 31, I will start medical school this summer more determined and excited to have been brought here at this point in my life. I hear many gripes and complaints from 21-23 year old's, whom have never experienced anything out side of school. All I do is chuckle on the inside because as smart as they are academically, the outside world will be a huge adjustment for them! I know for a fact that my non-trad route will put me ahead of most due to the experiences in the working world that others have not yet experienced. Take it for what it is worth, but I feel your path will ultimately determine who you become as a person.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't this make your feel inadequate compared to other people?

Lol, nope, I work in a teaching hospital and without fail every time I start to feel even a tad inadequate someone inevitably does something to make me shake my head and realize that whatever dumb things I'll probably do when I get to be a resident, at least I won't be that bad and will know better than to (x,y,z)
:smack:

I've had the opportunity to learn quite a few skills in my current job that will be valuable down the road. I've witnessed plenty of shining examples of what not to do. So compared to those other people, I usually feel grateful for my experiences.

I'm starting at 27 and I think I'll be in a much better place for it. Both in terms of my hardcore yet gpa-ruining engineering experience early on, and in terms of buckling down and rocking my postbac. I'm ready. I don't know if I'd have been ready 4 or 5 years ago.

I'll be starting med school in my mid-30's so I understand your feelings OP. In fact, I never even started college until I was 22, so from the beginning I've always felt like I was behind everyone else. I used to dwell on this constantly and I even let it keep me from involving myself in extracurricular activities as an undergraduate. I always felt like I would be "that weird guy" who was older than everyone else.

Again, I kept this anger inside for many years wondering why I had put off going to college. When I finished my undergraduate degree and went on to graduate school at 27, it's almost like I had an awakening of some sort. I began to realize how young I was and that I should take advantage of all the opportunities in front of me.

In graduate school is when I first joined student organizations, played sports, went to parties and met a ton of new people. Most people do these things in their younger years, but for me I felt as if I needed to make up for what I had missed. I don't regret a second of it. Again, I felt at first that I would be too old, but no one ever questioned my age or acted strangely towards me. In fact, it was just the opposite. Younger people will be amazed at what you have to offer and they will really look to you for guidance. And oh yeah, girls like older guys too. But in all seriousness, I think you'll find the same is true as you begin med school as an older student. Read some of the posts from older SDN members who are med students and you'll realize what I'm saying.

My point is, looking back now, I can't even believe people in their early 20's and especially their teens are even allowed to go to college. People that age don't know what they want to do with their lives. No offense to anyone, but if you're under 25, you're just a baby, I'm about to turn 33 and I'm still a kid.

Don't beat yourself up over switching careers or waiting to go to med school. Like everyone else said, life is a journey. The experiences you gain while attaining your goal are much more important than the goal itself. Most people graduate from college around 22-23 and go to work. Only to realize 10 years later that they want a career change. Then they are back in school getting another degree in their mid-30's. You aren't any different. You aren't wasting away your life, you're just living it.

I'll be 35 before my undergrad is even done. I'm not disappointed in myself because I've lived a pretty interesting life so far, and it will make me a better Dr. in the end. I've seen and experienced more than I ever thought I would at 18. At 18 I was nowhere near ready for college.

Last edited:
No regrets starting med school at 46. My life has been full and interesting and varied and I really like who I grew up to be. I won't be distracted during med school by first times - first love, first broken heart, first overdrawn bank account, first car accident, first depression, first career change, etc. I don't get derailed like a 21 year old.

Nor will you. The years you spent not going to med school when kids think they're "supposed" to aren't a loss or a waste or a delay. You should have resilience and resourcefulness and contacts and experience that give you a huge advantage.

But I do suggest that spending time wishing you'd had everything all figured out at 21 is a waste. It's a rare 21 year old who has things figured out - most of the M1s don't have it together like you think they do.

Best of luck to you.

Yup, I felt some of those things when I first started college at 23. Started at a lowly community college after all my friends had graduated and/or started grad school.
After graduating, I again gave the whole thing a good solid look, and figured that this path was right for me. Sure, I wish I was younger (I'm also 26, will probably get in just after my 29th B-day)
However, when I look at what I've done in the meantime....I hardly wasted a minute. Not going to get into it, but I've experienced many careers, gone many places, done many things that have confirmed this goal in me.

Another nice thing about being nontrad is having some damn perspective. If you've worked three dead-end jobs at once you're probably not going to complain during residency. There's probably a hundred million people in this country who work the same hours but have no light at the end of the tunnel.

Entitlement != happiness.

I'd rather be done. I can't imagine starting later than I did (27).

It's a good career, but I wish I had started earlier. I had more energy in my early twenties.

Another nice thing about being nontrad is having some damn perspective. If you've worked three dead-end jobs at once you're probably not going to complain during residency.
Oh, no, you will still complain during residency just as much as the young'uns do. You'll just be smarter about who you complain to. ;)

The only part of my whole non-trad journey that makes me angry is the fact that I did it to myself by not going to class or studying for 2.5-3 years of undergrad. I think that I'll appreciate everything more in the end, and I'll definitely work harder than I would have if I were a 21 year old M1.

The only part of my whole non-trad journey that makes me angry is the fact that I did it to myself by not going to class or studying for 2.5-3 years of undergrad. I think that I'll appreciate everything more in the end, and I'll definitely work harder than I would have if I were a 21 year old M1.

^^^This.

I'm angry at myself for messing around in undergrad and causing myself unnecessary stress years later when I decided to go back to medicine. This whole process would be much easier if I didn't have to make up for the craptastic GPA from years ago.

Sometimes I do get mad that my friends are applying to residency when I'm still studying for the MCAT, since I was super hard-core into medicine in college and I feel like I've wasted the last five years making up my mind about life.

But then I remember all the cool things I got to do during this time that I would've never experienced had I gone straight to med school after undergrad. I also probably would've flunked or dropped out if I had gone straight through, so it's actually really good that I've taken the time off to do things right.

And I'm not generally an optimist. So even the pessimists of the world (like me) can find some good in taking a non-traditional path.

^^^This.

I'm angry at myself for messing around in undergrad and causing myself unnecessary stress years later when I decided to go back to medicine. This whole process would be much easier if I didn't have to make up for the craptastic GPA from years ago.

Sometimes I do get mad that my friends are applying to residency when I'm still studying for the MCAT, since I was super hard-core into medicine in college and I feel like I've wasted the last five years making up my mind about life.

But then I remember all the cool things I got to do during this time that I would've never experienced had I gone straight to med school after undergrad. I also probably would've flunked or dropped out if I had gone straight through, so it's actually really good that I've taken the time off to do things right.

And I'm not generally an optimist. So even the pessimists of the world (like me) can find some good in taking a non-traditional path.

Same here. It's hard to deny all of the extra experiences non-trads have that will help us be better med students/physicians.

I'm non-trad from the other end, and I'm GLAD I was forced into taking some time off before medical school. I applied last cycle, when I was 20, and didn't get in; I'm still very young, at 21, but I've grown and developed a lot over the past year. Medical school is a long process, and time kind of becomes irrelevant, especially with more people in their 40s and 50s making career changes and applying.

I'm non-trad from the other end, and I'm GLAD I was forced into taking some time off before medical school. I applied last cycle, when I was 20, and didn't get in; I'm still very young, at 21, but I've grown and developed a lot over the past year. Medical school is a long process, and time kind of becomes irrelevant, especially with more people in their 40s and 50s making career changes and applying.

Agreed. I find OPs post bizarre. I have no regrets about the life anD experiences I have had up until I changed careers into medicine. I often felt sorry for my younger classmates who had virtually no life experiences outside of college and then medicine as they went straight through from undergrad to med school. Medicine isn't life. It's but one of many possible set of experiences. Not really better or worse than an infinite number of other equally valuable life experiences you could undertake at various points in your life. This isn't a race and the person to get locked into their final career First doesn't win anything. Arguably they lose a lot of potential experiences they could have had if they took a path less travelled. The goal is not to become a doctor at 28, retire at 55 and die on the golf course at 75. The goal is to have a long exciting and fulfilling life, racking up lots of cool experiences. Whether those experiences come mostly from your career in medicine or from multiple careers is up to you, but it's silly to regret doing something wrong that really can't be done wrong. You live your life. Your career is just one story line in it.

Agreed. I find OPs post bizarre. I have no regrets about the life anD experiences I have had up until I changed careers into medicine. I often felt sorry for my younger classmates who had virtually no life experiences outside of college and then medicine as they went straight through from undergrad to med school. Medicine isn't life. It's but one of many possible set of experiences. Not really better or worse than an infinite number of other equally valuable life experiences you could undertake at various points in your life. This isn't a race and the person to get locked into their final career First doesn't win anything. Arguably they lose a lot of potential experiences they could have had if they took a path less travelled. The goal is not to become a doctor at 28, retire at 55 and die on the golf course at 75. The goal is to have a long exciting and fulfilling life, racking up lots of cool experiences. Whether those experiences come mostly from your career in medicine or from multiple careers is up to you, but it's silly to regret doing something wrong that really can't be done wrong. You live your life. Your career is just one story line in it.

I wouldn't mind dying on the golf course at 75. :)

:thumbup:

You live your life. Your career is just one story line in it.

That's a nice perspective. I'll add that, perhaps, OP, it is your experience as a cytotechnologist that has led you to this path? Personally, I am coming to medicine from engineering. Honestly, I had never thought about medicine until I was 26 and suffered a major medical problem which cost me most of the vision in my right eye. Yes, it is disappointing to have reduced vision (I can never earn that pilot's license now :(), but I am extremely thankful that the experience has lead me to a career that will bring a level of fulfillment that engineering never could to me.

I agree with most of the above. If I had known I wanted to do medicine from early in undergrad, I probably wouldn't have passed M1 if I had even matriculated, as I was all done with school at that point. A couple years working in the real world was enough to convince me that medicine was worth the work required. I am turning 29 myself in two months, and will be matriculating in August. I would love to be younger when I graduate, finish residency, etc. especially when I consider there will be attendings younger than me when I start my M3 rotations, but if I had gone straight through, I might not even have finished.

I'm not angry with myself, but it does occur to me somewhat regularly that if I had completed my goal the first time around, I'd likely be an attending physician right now. Oh well, I'm happy that I learned my people skills in the real world, as I think that will help me greatly in my journey through medicine.

I somewhat understand what the OP means. I wanted to go to medical school during undergrad but I wanted to delay it a bit and gather up some non-medical experiences before really starting school. I knew medical school/residency would be an all consuming challenge for approximately 10 years or so.

I had planned to do 5 years in the outside world before turning to medical school. But 5 turned into 8, as I completed some post-bacc courses, balanced jobs and pursued an SMP. During this time I started getting antsy about starting school, but it never really bothered me too much if I didn't think about it. Time passed and I eventually started school in my early 30s.

During my pre-clinical years, I often thought about the time before medical school. To me they represented empty years which could have been spent more fruitfully. I made good friends and had nice experiences but in the thick of school, I realized that those experiences had no bearing on my life as a student. The friends I had made I lost as I moved quite a bit for academic and personal reasons. Those years were in effect a waste. Sure I now know what it is to make my own living, but I would have learned that anyway eventually. I learned how to negotiate with salespeople, but that will probably have little bearing on my future clinical practice.

Now I am applying for residencies. And if ever an interviewer asks me what I would have done differently in medical school, I will reply "I would have started earlier." Personally I felt no great advantage in being non-traditional. With the passage of time, I am becoming more acutely aware of how much of it I've wasted.

Being non-trad has its perks as wells as down sides. Every path is ones own. There is no sense in comparing oneself to others since we are all different.

... Personally I felt no great advantage in being non-traditional. With the passage of time, I am becoming more acutely aware of how much of it I've wasted.

there is no such thing as wasting time. Time moves at the same rate for all of us. We all end up in the ground at the end, and the worms won't care if you were a doctor at 30 or 50 (sorry to be morbid, but it's true). Life is about the journey, not the destination, so arbitrary career path schedules are silly in the big picture. So what if you become an attending 10 years earlier -- how does that make your life more fulfilling? For most of us, the opportunity to change careers and go back to school and accomplish something most people will never do is going to be the money shot on the highlight reel of our lives anyway, not that extra few years of financial stability as an attending. It's the person who reaches their goals early, settles in and ceases to have more adventures that's the one who comes up short.

The goal of the game isn't to die with the most toys, it's to have had the most fun playing.

there is no such thing as wasting time. Time moves at the same rate for all of us. We all end up in the ground at the end, and the worms won't care if you were a doctor at 30 or 50 (sorry to be morbid, but it's true). Life is about the journey, not the destination, so arbitrary career path schedules are silly in the big picture. So what if you become an attending 10 years earlier -- how does that make your life more fulfilling? For most of us, the opportunity to change careers and go back to school and accomplish something most people will never do is going to be the money shot on the highlight reel of our lives anyway, not that extra few years of financial stability as an attending. It's the person who reaches their goals early, settles in and ceases to have more adventures that's the one who comes up short.

The goal of the game isn't to die with the most toys, it's to have had the most fun playing.
Well said, and I couldn't agree more. :thumbup:

Only thing I could ever be angry at is having gone to undergrad at 18. I was nowhere prepared for what came to me. Even having gone initially at a community college didn't help because I had no guidance at all. I have had to pay for this mistake both financially and time-wise because I had to return to school for post-bacc courses. But in the end, I'm not truly mad at myself. I know I thought at the time that I had it together. I did not. Now I'm just happy to be following this new path.

OP here.

Thank you for all your replies. Some of you stated that you are now completing additional undergrad work and/or SMP for applications. Kudos to you. I am in that exact situation but it is interesting to hear that perspective.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Perhaps Pemberton's reply was with respect to people who have to due post-bac and/or SMP as "academic enhancers" before medical school? If they "got it right" the first time around they would be apply to practice medicine as attendings longer. If that is what they truly want, then doing it longer may have made life more fulfilling in the long run.

Then again...all paths have their benefits and drawbacks.

--------------------------------------
Just a thought...I am not in that situation...I just need to complete pre-req labs...and since I can't take labs alone...I need to take them all over again.

Last edited:
Perhaps Pemberton's reply was with respect to people who have to due post-bac and/or SMP as "academic enhancers" before medical school? If they "got it right" the first time around they would be apply to practice medicine as attendings longer. If that is what they truly want, then doing it longer may have made life more fulfilling in the long run.

Then again...all paths have their benefits and drawbacks.

--------------------------------------
Just a thought...I am not in that situation...I just need to complete pre-req labs...and since I can't take labs alone...I need to take them all over again.

My response to that is that doing something longer doesn't necessarily make something more fulfilling. Accomplishing something that involves overcoming a lot of hurdles probably gives you more satisfction, even if the laurels are fleeting.

I'm not so much angry as disappointed with myself. Maybe if I had a career or something to show for the time I've spent meandering around trying to find my place. I took the easy way out in college and now I'm suffering for it.

I never even considered being pre-med or applying to med school before I graduated. I had the "D for done" mentality because what good is my GPA as a technical writer, or whatever it was I intended to be with my degree? And now I have to lie in the bed I made. So more than being non-traditional or "late to the game" or anything like that, I'm angry/disappointed/whatever that I squandered my opportunities the first time around.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way. I wish I knew when I was in highschool that I wanted to pursue medicine, instead of being the knucklehead I was. But hey maybe my added maturity will give me an extra something when I apply lol Everything happens for a reason and if you would have told me I would wanted to be a dotor I would have told you, that you were crazy. It's a long road but it will be more than worth it. let's go nontrads!!

I'm a 33-year old, mother of two pre-schoolers. I thank God that I didn't pursue this before I had children. My girls weren't raised in a daycare, they had their mom at home raising them. Now, when my youngest starts kindergarten, I hope to be starting med school with her!

Perfect timing, to me!

Brooke

what a great thread)) and awesome replies from other people) Each with her/his own story and path) thanks for everyone who shared!
very encouraging)) and gives a different perspective)))

Nah, I've had WAY more fun than your average med student.

Played in a band, toured the country, worked as a medic, got married.

Life is a garden....well you know the rest

That's such good advice there and so true. And just remember, you have your WHOLE LIFE to do what you want to do. You don't have a 2 year window or anything to complete everything in life that you want to. Life is a process that develops over time and since you'll be around for a while, you might as well do something that makes you happy! :)

You'll be more than proud of yourself one day and glad you stuck with it.

I know what you mean OP, but like someone said, it's about the journey, not a hurdle. I'll be nearing 30 by my projected acceptance letter. For myself personally, the maturity level was what kept me from going to med school. Now that I realize how much I love medicine (I'm a nurse), I want to keep learning and improve myself and do the most I can do for my patients.

I spoke to an internal med. attending who was a lawyer before he realized medicine was for him. I spoke to a neurologist who was was an internal med attending for THREE years before he went back to do his neuro-residency for another THREE years, while moonlighting in the E.R. lol. That's the dedication/mindset you need! If you have the drive to learn, then don't let age stop you. Think of how long physicians are able to practice!