Anki Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm currently an MS1 and I'm deciding on how to use Dr.Willbe's pathology deck for each systems course. I plan on doing the designated tags for each course but don't want to see cards that are in other courses, but I also want to keep the schedule that I build for those cards. For instance, I would make a custom deck on the pathology deck and do only tagged cards for MSS and would like to keep doing them when my course is over but don't want to start over in terms of my hits and misses. If I return them to the original deck, will the schedule I created be synced?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently an MS1 and I'm deciding on how to use Dr.Willbe's pathology deck for each systems course. I plan on doing the designated tags for each course but don't want to see cards that are in other courses, but I also want to keep the schedule that I build for those cards. For instance, I would make a custom deck on the pathology deck and do only tagged cards for MSS and would like to keep doing them when my course is over but don't want to start over in terms of my hits and misses. If I return them to the original deck, will the schedule I created be synced?
The intervals and ease are properties of the cards and stay with them no matter where you move them. However, if you move it between decks with different settings, the interval and ease will be adjusted differently in each the next time you review.

Basically, if you have Card A with an interval of 2d, it will be seen in 2d no matter which deck you move it to. But if, after those 2d, you review it in Deck 1, its new interval after review could be 3d, whereas if you review it in Deck 2 with different settings, the new interval after review might be 4d.

Instead of making a Custom Study deck, I would, personally, make a new deck for the current course and use the Browser to move all cards with a given tag into that deck. I would give that current deck more frequent reviews than your comprehensive deck.

Thank you for this! Will definitely refer to this when I start med school in the fall! @mehc012 or anyone else, do you recommend buying Anki now or a month before to start getting used to it, or just buy it on day one of med school? Sorry if this was answered already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for this! Will definitely refer to this when I start med school in the fall! @mehc012 or anyone else, do you recommend buying Anki now or a month before to start getting used to it, or just buy it on day one of med school? Sorry if this was answered already.
Anki is free for all platforms other than iOS. It's like $20 there, which goes to subsidize the cost of making/updating the PC/Mac software, servers, etc. Decent deal considering you get cross-platform syncing and a great program for $20, but some people dislike paying that much for an app. :shrug:

My take is: download the desktop version. It's the most powerful one, the one you should use when creating your decks 9/10 times.
Use it, play around with it, familiarize yourself with it before crunch time or the first batch of cards you make during will take you 2x as long as they should and you may ditch it entirely. There is definitely a learning curve with Anki.

When you start using it for school, if it's something you see yourself using and it is helping you...go ahead and get the iOS version for mobile reviewing!

Reactions: 1 users
Anki is free for all platforms other than iOS. It's like $20 there, which goes to subsidize the cost of making/updating the PC/Mac software, servers, etc. Decent deal considering you get cross-platform syncing and a great program for $20, but some people dislike paying that much for an app. :shrug:

My take is: download the desktop version. It's the most powerful one, the one you should use when creating your decks 9/10 times.
Use it, play around with it, familiarize yourself with it before crunch time or the first batch of cards you make during will take you 2x as long as they should and you may ditch it entirely. There is definitely a learning curve with Anki.

When you start using it for school, if it's something you see yourself using and it is helping you...go ahead and get the iOS version for mobile reviewing!
Thanks! Just downloaded it on my MacBook. I’ll mess with it for now! I will definitely spend whatever it takes to do well, $20 is nothing tbh considering I’m going $250k+ in debt haha. I saw people mention firecracker, do you suggest that as well? I can’t read the whole thread in depth right now haha! Also, for note taking apps, I’m guessing handwriting is too much, maybe? I heard Notability is good, any other apps you recommend? Thank you!

Thanks! Just downloaded it on my MacBook. I’ll mess with it for now! I will definitely spend whatever it takes to do well, $20 is nothing tbh considering I’m going $250k+ in debt haha. I saw people mention firecracker, do you suggest that as well? I can’t read the whole thread in depth right now haha! Also, for note taking apps, I’m guessing handwriting is too much, maybe? I heard Notability is good, any other apps you recommend? Thank you!
I don't take notes anymore...I make Anki cards!
Seriously, after a lecture I sit down and make a huge bolus of cards from that lecture. I never take notes or copy outlines or anything...it's all in Anki. You can make a deck which is just as comprehensive and interconnected as a good notes sheet, and then it's already in a format for long-term review and/or cramming. YMMV.

There's a discussion of FC on page 1 of this thread...no digging necessary! Basically it is Anki only they premake a ton of cards for you. Personally, I derive the most utility from making the cards, not simply reviewing them, but as I am not yet in medical school, I cannot give a meaningful opinion on whether the time savings are worth the money and the lower utility. :shrug:

PS: I agree that $20 is nothing...I think it's the context of the app store that makes people react so strongly.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't take notes anymore...I make Anki cards!
Seriously, after a lecture I sit down and make a huge bolus of cards from that lecture. I never take notes or copy outlines or anything...it's all in Anki. You can make a deck which is just as comprehensive and interconnected as a good notes sheet, and then it's already in a format for long-term review and/or cramming. YMMV.

There's a discussion of FC on page 1 of this thread...no digging necessary! Basically it is Anki only they premake a ton of cards for you. Personally, I derive the most utility from making the cards, not simply reviewing them, but as I am not yet in medical school, I cannot give a meaningful opinion on whether the time savings are worth the money and the lower utility. :shrug:

PS: I agree that $20 is nothing...I think it's the context of the app store that makes people react so strongly.
Alright sounds good!!!

The intervals and ease are properties of the cards and stay with them no matter where you move them. However, if you move it between decks with different settings, the interval and ease will be adjusted differently in each the next time you review.

Basically, if you have Card A with an interval of 2d, it will be seen in 2d no matter which deck you move it to. But if, after those 2d, you review it in Deck 1, its new interval after review could be 3d, whereas if you review it in Deck 2 with different settings, the new interval after review might be 4d.

Instead of making a Custom Study deck, I would, personally, make a new deck for the current course and use the Browser to move all cards with a given tag into that deck. I would give that current deck more frequent reviews than your comprehensive deck.

Thanks for replying. My problem is that I want to be able to sort into the one big deck and do the cards I'm currently studying. If I move the designated tags into a new deck and then return it back into the mother deck, will it still sync with their new schedules if I keep the setting the same?

Thanks for replying. My problem is that I want to be able to sort into the one big deck and do the cards I'm currently studying. If I move the designated tags into a new deck and then return it back into the mother deck, will it still sync with their new schedules if I keep the setting the same?
I understand what you're saying...I'm just pointing out that if you're going to be reviewing that sorted set of cards for more than a single day or so, it's easier to just pull them into their own deck rather than sorting and Custom Studying every time.

I did answer your question, though. The interval for your card will be preserved wherever you move it, no matter what the settings, but the next interval will be calculated using the settings of the deck it is in when you review.

If I were you, I'd download the deck (Big Deck) and set it to 0 New Cards, 0 Reviews, etc. You won't study anything from this deck directly, which is good...why reinforce knowledge that you haven't taken the time to actively learn yet?

I'd then make a Current deck with a high New and Review count and small intervals.

Go into the Big Deck, open the Browser, and search for the cards you want. Move those into the Current deck.

You can then study just from the Current deck and cover everything you want. You can even add cards to it no problem.

When you finish one unit, I'd make a Review deck, with a low New count, mid Review count, and large intervals. Whenever you finish a unit, select all the cards in your Current deck, tag them by the unit you learned them in, and transfer them to Review. Then move the next batch of cards from your Big Deck to your Current deck.

Now, when you review, you'll see a lot of cards from your Current deck, because of the high Due Counts you set it up with. You'll see that material, which you need to know now, very frequently due to the short intervals. However, you will also have a light background load from your Review deck where you keep everything you've learned thus far in low-intensity circulation.

That's how I'd do it, were I to use another person's Big Deck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I understand what you're saying...I'm just pointing out that if you're going to be reviewing that sorted set of cards for more than a single day or so, it's easier to just pull them into their own deck rather than sorting and Custom Studying every time.

I did answer your question, though. The interval for your card will be preserved wherever you move it, no matter what the settings, but the next interval will be calculated using the settings of the deck it is in when you review.

If I were you, I'd download the deck (Big Deck) and set it to 0 New Cards, 0 Reviews, etc. You won't study anything from this deck directly, which is good...why reinforce knowledge that you haven't taken the time to actively learn yet?

I'd then make a Current deck with a high New and Review count and small intervals.

Go into the Big Deck, open the Browser, and search for the cards you want. Move those into the Current deck.

You can then study just from the Current deck and cover everything you want. You can even add cards to it no problem.

When you finish one unit, I'd make a Review deck, with a low New count, mid Review count, and large intervals. Whenever you finish a unit, select all the cards in your Current deck, tag them by the unit you learned them in, and transfer them to Review. Then move the next batch of cards from your Big Deck to your Current deck.

Now, when you review, you'll see a lot of cards from your Current deck, because of the high Due Counts you set it up with. You'll see that material, which you need to know now, very frequently due to the short intervals. However, you will also have a light background load from your Review deck where you keep everything you've learned thus far in low-intensity circulation.

That's how I'd do it, were I to use another person's Big Deck.

This is gold.

Thanks for all this! I'll be taking the MCAT next year and it's been a while since I took my pre-reqs. Do you think that using this product over the next 12 months will allow me to complete the required content review? Also, I will be making my own cards, how long do you think it will take? Lastly, I understand that that there will be a steep learning curve, will this hinder my progress? Thanks again!

What anki settings/intervals (all that jazz) should I do if I have an exam every 1.5-2 weeks and avg about 70-100 cards a day and my sole source of notes/reviewing will be all from anki? I decided I'd rather convert most of my lecture notes into anki and hash it out every day and just focus on doing practice questions with the time I have left and reading texts only if I need clarification. I found that it allows me to skip the frantic/cram/review phase a few days before my test, which I hate. However, I also worry that my settings are either making me do too much a day since I tend to have a larger volume of cards but then I also don't want to make the intervals too spaced apart to where I won't retain them.

Last edited:
What anki settings/intervals (all that jazz) should I do if I have an exam every 1.5-2 weeks and avg about 70-100 cards a day and my sole source of notes/reviewing will be all from anki? I decided I'd rather convert most of my lecture notes into anki and hash it out every day and just focus on doing practice questions with the time I have left and reading texts only if I need clarification. I found that it allows me to skip the frantic/cram/review phase a few days before my test, which I hate. However, I also worry that my settings are either making me do too much a day since I tend to have a larger volume of cards but then I also don't want to make the intervals too spaced apart to where I won't retain them.
Again, I'd have a deck with close intervals for material you need to know for this class (aka it will be on an upcoming exam) and a Review deck with fewer Due counts/longer intervals. What specific intervals? Well, it depends - how many times do you need to see a card that you've made before you're comfortable recalling it for an exam?

I found that for quick turnarounds like that, card-making was often my best review method, so for material I studied in the first week, I'd have Learned the Anki cards, but material I added in the last few days, often my sole review was making the cards. This lightened my review load considerably, but is also why I make sure there are a few New cards due in my Review deck...after the exam, I'd move related cards into my Review deck, but I'd still have some which I made right before the exam which I hadn't officially Learned in Anki yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all this! I'll be taking the MCAT next year and it's been a while since I took my pre-reqs. Do you think that using this product over the next 12 months will allow me to complete the required content review? Also, I will be making my own cards, how long do you think it will take? Lastly, I understand that that there will be a steep learning curve, will this hinder my progress? Thanks again!
12 months is unnecessary. When I started studying for the MCAT, I had already made cards for Physics and some Physio, since I took those courses after starting Anki. However, for all other topics, I had to make cards as I went. I was able to complete a typical 4mo (I was working more than full-time, so I took over 3mo) study schedule, making all of the non-Physics/Physio cards during that time. I still went through content review books, because even when I had covered material, they often had shortcuts or MCAT-specific tidbits which I found useful, and so I made cards for those as well. I still did practice problems as I went, because that is the best tool for MCAT studying. What I didn't have to do was to reread any chapters or worry that I had forgotten material from month 1 by month 4. I didn't have to make notes or outlines or review any topic more than once during my dedicated MCAT time. I had a large deck by the end, but I knew it cold. Seriously, I had like 98% retention by the end, and my deck was detailed! This is because I kept my Due counts high and my intervals low for MCAT material during my dedicated MCAT review time. In the last few weeks, I'd often go through a Custom Study deck with a random assortment of cards from the entire deck, in addition to my normal daily reviews.

12 months is unnecessary. When I started studying for the MCAT, I had already made cards for Physics and some Physio, since I took those courses after starting Anki. However, for all other topics, I had to make cards as I went. I was able to complete a typical 4mo (I was working more than full-time, so I took over 3mo) study schedule, making all of the non-Physics/Physio cards during that time. I still went through content review books, because even when I had covered material, they often had shortcuts or MCAT-specific tidbits which I found useful, and so I made cards for those as well. I still did practice problems as I went, because that is the best tool for MCAT studying. What I didn't have to do was to reread any chapters or worry that I had forgotten material from month 1 by month 4. I didn't have to make notes or outlines or review any topic more than once during my dedicated MCAT time. I had a large deck by the end, but I knew it cold. Seriously, I had like 98% retention by the end, and my deck was detailed! This is because I kept my Due counts high and my intervals low for MCAT material during my dedicated MCAT review time. In the last few weeks, I'd often go through a Custom Study deck with a random assortment of cards from the entire deck, in addition to my normal daily reviews.

Just curious - how low did you keep your intervals? I haven't messed around with these settings much despite having used anki for years.

Just curious - how low did you keep your intervals? I haven't messed around with these settings much despite having used anki for years.
My settings are all in the first few posts of this thread. Since I make all of my own cards, I actually make the Learning intervals long. However, the ease and Interval modifier on my Current deck keep them in reasonably frequent cycle.

The 12 months includes full content review...it's been almost 6 years since I took the courses! However, I can see where you're coming from. I'm going to play it by ear and see how it goes. Thank you so much!

The 12 months includes full content review...it's been almost 6 years since I took the courses! However, I can see where you're coming from. I'm going to play it by ear and see how it goes. Thank you so much!
It was over 5yrs for me for some subjects. Trust me, I did a thorough content review! The MCAT just really doesn't require as much content knowledge as people think. You'll see once you start wading though review books!

Is there a way to do Custom Study on ankiweb? Couldn't find it.

Is there a way to do Custom Study on ankiweb? Couldn't find it.
Don't think so. If I have a Custom Study deck I think I'll want to do on Ankiweb, I just make it ahead of time and it'll show up in your Deck list.

Can I sync this to my Windows cellphone.
I don't believe there is an official WP app, sorry. You can still access the web version, but it's admittedly bare-bones compared to the mobile apps.

Is there any way to merge two decks without either becoming a subdeck?

Is there any way to merge two decks without either becoming a subdeck?
Just open one deck in the Browser, select all of the cards, and 'Change Deck' to put them in the other deck. Then delete the empty one and/or rename the combined Deck!

Just open one deck in the Browser, select all of the cards, and 'Change Deck' to put them in the other deck. Then delete the empty one and/or rename the combined Deck!
Thanks!

Is image occlusion 2.0 bugging out for anyone else? The "wanted" mask block and the "other mask" block are both white, so I can't tell which "answer" it's asking for. I've tried it on PC and Mac! :/

Is image occlusion 2.0 bugging out for anyone else? The "wanted" mask block and the "other mask" block are both white, so I can't tell which "answer" it's asking for. I've tried it on PC and Mac! :/
Did you accidentally change the color? It's a user-controllable thing, so it is possible to accidentally mess it up.

Did you accidentally change the color? It's a user-controllable thing, so it is possible to accidentally mess it up.
Yeah, I keep trying to change the mask colors in img occ. 2 settings but it keeps defaulting to white. Lol. Did a fresh install on friends Mac and he gets the same thing.

Maybe the error is tied to my account :/

Sent from my phone

Yeah, I keep trying to change the mask colors in img occ. 2 settings but it keeps defaulting to white. Lol. Did a fresh install on friends Mac and he gets the same thing.

Maybe the error is tied to my account :/

Sent from my phone

I know you've done a fresh install, but can you try uninstalling the add on and reinstalling it on your computer?

If that doesn't fix it, can you create a test deck of 4-5 image occlusion cards and upload it to a public Dropbox link and post it here for us to examine?

If you can't do that, try asking for help in the add on forums on the Anki Tender App page.

https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/add-ons

Also, if you messed with the field order or the CSS for the image occlusion note type, that may have caused this. (Speaking from experience, lol). Reinstalling it might fix it, but if not, you'll have to go back and undo whatever change you made to the field order or CSS. I can give you more specific instructions if you upload a tiny test deck for me to poke around at. Basically I want to compare your fields to mine and see if my hunch is right.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for this, I was a bit confused!

Sorry if this was asked before, but is there a way to only see new cards once rather than twice? It takes up a lot of extra time going through new cards 2x. Thanks!

Sorry if this was asked before, but is there a way to only see new cards once rather than twice? It takes up a lot of extra time going through new cards 2x. Thanks!
In Settings, under 'New Cards', change the intervals.

In Settings, under 'New Cards', change the intervals.

Agreed. Additional helpful info: The Anki manual refers to these as steps. You currently have two learning steps and want one. Worth reading through that manual section for a better understanding of how new/learning cards differ from review cards.

Agreed. Additional helpful info: The Anki manual refers to these as steps. You currently have two learning steps and want one. Worth reading through that manual section for a better understanding of how new/learning cards differ from review cards.
Or the first 2 posts in this thread where I go into a lot of detail on steps/intervals.

@t5Nitro sorry I didn't explain further here...I'm running out the door!

Can anyone give me an example of an effective use of tagging cards? I usually just organize my cards by book chapter and refer to them that way, but I almost always leave the tags section blank.

Can anyone give me an example of an effective use of tagging cards? I usually just organize my cards by book chapter and refer to them that way, but I almost always leave the tags section blank.
I tagged everything by class, exam (for example, in one course we had 2 non-cumulative midterms and then a cumulative final) and, most importantly, according to the AAMC's MCAT Content Outline. I deleted the exam tags when the course was over. Sometimes I have other general categories within a class - Anatomy cards might also be tagged as Muscle Bone Nerve Digestive, etc.

So a physiology card might end up with the tags:
Physio Mid1 MCAT BS A&P renal

Mid1 I would probably delete when the course was over. I like to keep the class tags; it helps me find things later. The MCAT tags would obviously be different now that the exam has changed, but you get the gist.

It is ALWAYS better to over-tag than to under-tag. If you aren't sure how you are going to classify things when you first start building a deck, tag your cards according to every possible system that you might use. Tag your Anatomy cards by region, organ system, whatever. Once you figure out how your deck is going to shape up, it is child's play to go back and delete tags...just search for tag:UselessTag, select everything that comes up, and hit 'Delete Tag'...then choose UselessTag. Or, even easier if your deck isn't giant, select your entire deck and delete that tag. Or you can ignore it...it doesn't hurt anything to have an unused tag.

However, if you undertag, you have to manually go through every card and classify it with the new tags, or do a series of targeted searches and hope you find everything. Much more tedious.

Tagging is great if you use Anki the way I do, because I tend to make very large decks and rely on tagging for further organization. Have a midterm coming up? Make a Custom Study deck of all cards tagged 'Mid1'. When I finish classes, I dump all of their cards into my giant Review deck. When the MCAT came around, I was able to pull out all of my MCAT-related cards and place them in my new MCAT deck. Then, when reviewing a given subject, I could use the content-outline tags to quickly search through those cards so that I didn't duplicate efforts...I only had to make cards for information I had missed when I originally took the class, or shortcuts I found int he review books. I was able to make a very thorough MCAT review deck in a short/normal MCAT preparation period.

I hope to be able to do something similar for Step 1 in med school (Use Anki to study for classes, tag according to FA or something along the way, use those as my foundation when I get to that point after MS2), but it may be an entirely different beast; I won't know until I get there myself.

I've been using Anki for awhile but only recently started using image occlusion. Does anyone know how to group multiple occlusions on one card? Maybe it's not possible, but say I have an image with 12 boxes, right now it creates 12 separate cards, and I want it to create 6 cards with two boxes each.

I've been using Anki for awhile but only recently started using image occlusion. Does anyone know how to group multiple occlusions on one card? Maybe it's not possible, but say I have an image with 12 boxes, right now it creates 12 separate cards, and I want it to create 6 cards with two boxes each.
Yeah, if you select 2 boxes, you can 'group' them into one object and that group will produce one card.

Yeah, use the arrow shaped cursor to draw a box around two rectangular masks and then press the Grouo button. I think the keyboard shortcut to group is G, too.

Is there a way to reschedule cards according to a new options group? For example I have my longest interval at 2 months and I want to change it to 1.5 months to up my mature % a little bit. I know that once the cards eventually come up that they will assume this new interval once set. I was mainly wondering if I could, for example, change all my 2 month cards to 1.5 months, etc.

Is there a way to reschedule cards according to a new options group? For example I have my longest interval at 2 months and I want to change it to 1.5 months to up my mature % a little bit. I know that once the cards eventually come up that they will assume this new interval once set. I was mainly wondering if I could, for example, change all my 2 month cards to 1.5 months, etc.
In the Browser, you can select all cards with an interval >2mo. Then hit 'Reschedule cards' and pick the date range you want to reset them to!

Does anyone here used Brosencephalon's decks? What setting do you use to keep 90%+ retention rate? Like max intervals and such.

Does anyone here used Brosencephalon's decks? What setting do you use to keep 90%+ retention rate? Like max intervals and such.
I've never used a deck that I didn't create, but my settings are available on the first page of this thread if you'd like to look. I'd recommend the same strategy I did to the person asking about Dr. Willbe's Path deck above:

"If I were you, I'd download the deck (Big Deck) and set it to 0 New Cards, 0 Reviews, etc. You won't study anything from this deck directly, which is good...why reinforce knowledge that you haven't taken the time to actively learn yet?

That's how I'd do it, were I to use another person's Big Deck."

I guess my main question is on your larger review decks do you have a max interval set? Or is it just still set to the default and you manage via interval modifier? I guess I'm asking did you find you needed to a set a max interval to keep your retention at 90+?

I guess my main question is on your larger review decks do you have a max interval set? Or is it just still set to the default and you manage via interval modifier? I guess I'm asking did you find you needed to a set a max interval to keep your retention at 90+?
You will see my Max interval in that first page, as I said...
Personally, I've never been at <90% retention on a deck, ever. The size of the deck is not a factor in that. If the default max interval works for you, go for it even with the larger deck. Frankly, I would rather see my cards more than once every 10yrs even if I know the material. Just personal preference.

I apologize. I've read through the first page several times and ctrl+f for interval and multiple variations and didn't see any mention of what you set your max interval too. I saw you talk about short intervals for current deck and longer ones for review decks which I understand and makes sense. But I never saw any specifics as far as intervals go. No definition of what short vs. long is to you in terms of intervals.