Annals Feb Podcast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaelia

neenlet
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all -

I got some feedback a few weeks ago re: taking over the Annals podcast.

We just posted the February recording.

http://www.annemergmed.com/content/podcast
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/annals-emergency-medicine/id301441978?mt=2

Happy to hear any feedback – first shot at replacing the legends.

- Ryan

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you guys did a great job, especially for what is probably something that was done on fairly short notice. I love both your work in other avenues, and hope you keep up the right balance of critical appraisal and relaying what the authors concluded that Drs. Newman and Shreves did.

There are two things I think you guys could benefit from:

1. Professional microphones. The sound quality is a bit off at times. I imagine that you two are speaking to a cell phone as I regularly hear breathing.

2. Interject some music between journal articles as a transition. There are plenty of public domain and Creative Commons pieces that you can use without worrying about licensing fees.

Taking over from a master is a tough situation.

It must be like the feeling of Trevor Noah taking over from Stewart.

You obviously have to develop your own style.
What I liked most about the previous team was the great discussion of some of the less obvious flaws of the study results.
I didn't listen just to hear a summary and avoid reading the articles.

So my suggestion is to pick fewer articles and spend more time with analysis than summary.

As I said before, the only reason I ever started listening to this podcast was to hear more David Newman.

I already read the journal, so I don't need a summary.

Fair enough.

We actually both have professional microphones, but our set-up needs a little work. My recording needed to be post-processed because it picked up electronic feedback from my headphones, so it got a little muddied.

So far, we've been assigned by the journal editors to cover all the articles, so I'm not sure "fewer" is possible; can certainly follow-up and see.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll just keep workin'.

And, yes, my avatar is the Earl of Lemongrab from Adventure Time.

Big shoes to fill, but you guys gave it a decent first go.

From a technical side:
-Script it out a little more, if small talk doesn't come naturally, figure out what you're going to say ahead of time.
-Enunciation needs to be really crisp, guys like Swami, Orman talk really clearly so it sounds more like a radio broadcast and less like two guys talking. Pop filters will help if you guys aren't using them already.

I agree with above, I'd love to hear you guys do some critical appraisal. You are both leaders in the field in terms of being able to break down the science for the rest of us, I worry that Annals is missing out on what you both can offer by having you just run through the studies. This was a huge weakness of the previous version as well, but there were enough comments and editorializing by Newman that it made it worth downloading each month.