Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry for multiple questions @hushcom - I'll make this my final one.

In the event an applicant has disproportionately different cumulative/science GPA's, how is this taken into account? Based on my cumulative gpa, I'm simply not competitive. That said, I'm finding it hard to believe several screw ups 12+ years ago in basic classes will cause adcomm's to think I'm not capable of handling medical coursework...though I've been wrong before.

Long story short, I performed horribly in my freshmen/sophmore level classes 12ish years ago. My first 40 or so credits are abysmal. That said, I've done exceedingly well in all of my science classes. My last 135 credits I've maintained a 3.6. I've also got a 3.9 in my post-bacc.

My cumulative is a 3.0. My science is a 3.7, potentially a 3.8 when I'm finished with my post-bacc.

How should I view my competitiveness?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi hushcom, thanks in advance for help.
What do you think about ESL applicants with noticeable accents who have some trouble expressing themselves during an interview due to stress? Also, in your past experience did they perform as well on interview as native English speakers? Any advice for one of them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Hushcom, thanks for all the time you've been putting into this. I hope you can give me some thoughts about my situation:

I'm a non-trad. I don't have any of the pre-req's done yet, so I'm planning on a 2-year post-bac to knock out the science courses as well as sociology (already took psych), stats, calc and biochem. I'm a bit concerned by the fact that I won't have demonstrated that I can handle a heavy load of science courses. How do you weigh applicants who are working full-time while doing career-changer post-bacs?

I'm enrolled in a summer session of chemistry that covers Chem 1+2 in 7 weeks (Harvard Summer School - 3 labs per week, satisfies pre-med requirement, should be pretty fast paced). If I do well in this, will that satisfy most AdComs that I can handle a bunch of science at once?

On the topic of work, I'm currently an EMT finishing up paramedic school and I'm not sure whether I should keep working the field or pick up an ER tech job. As I see it, the role of a paramedic in the field has a lot of similarities to the role of a physician in the hospital: it would put me in a leadership position and put a lot more responsibility on me to assess patients and make important clinical decisions. On the other hand, as an ER tech I'd be getting a lot more exposure to the hospital environment and seeing how the in-hospital team operates. I'd also have a much better chance of getting a good LoR from an ER tech job. Would you prefer to see paramedic experience, ER tech experience, part-time at each, or it doesn't make much difference to you?

Thanks again!

How are activities such as Student Government perceived as? Too common? What about participating in your University's academic integrity process? (helping them review cases)

Thanks!

Hey Hushcom,

I am getting ready to apply this year but am considering taking another gap year to teach abroad and learn Spanish. Let me explain.

I took my first gap year to do basic pre-med stuff: research, hospice volunteering, take MCAT and work as a medical scribe. This was added to the research and volunteering I did at college. My GPA was 3.91 and MCAT was 34 and taken June of 2013.

I've always wanted to learn Spanish and live abroad (my brother and sister currently live abroad) but never took advantage of it during college. So instead of applying this cycle I could apply in June 2015 and live/teach English abroad for one year or more. My MCAT score will be 2 years old at the time of the 2015 cycle.

1.) Is this a good idea?

2.) Is there anything I should be concerned about? Like if I don't get accepted and will then have a 3 year MCAT score for the 2016 cycle although I feel I have a good chance of being accepted during the 2015 cycle.

3.) Or would you recommend applying this year. Although that would be a lot of work as I would spend the summer filling out secondaries, working full time, beginning to learn Spanish, and arranging for somewhere to teach abroad beginning in August/September. I'd also have to arrange for flights home for interviews.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hushcom, thank you so much in advance. Your responses have been very insightful. Hopefully you can provide some advice to my situation.

I recently got a job as a medical scribe in an ER. Although the work itself was very enjoyable, it did not go well because I had a terrible supervisor who did not respect me or communicate with me. I was only given overnight shifts and was constantly asked to come in for meetings at awkward times. I quit after 3 months so I could focus on MCAT studying and my clinical research job.

Is this activity something I should list on my AMCAS application even though it was only 3 months? On one hand, I gained lot of interesting experiences in a clinical setting which could be viewed favorably. On the other hand, the short tenure could questions about why I did not continue working, for which I do not have a very good response.

Will showing a sense of humor during an interview hurt you. For instance I was asked why do I want to be a doctor and I answer because I couldn't be a Cowboy Astronaut. Would light humor such as this automatically earn one a rejection?

Hello, I was wondering. I am in danger of getting a C in my molecular biology class (3000-level, not the intro)
Would you advise taking a W rather than a C? I am taking the prerequisite genetics course at the same time during the same semester, and I think skipping up a level might have been biting off a bit too much to chew. I just thought a W and NO decrease in GPA would be better than factoring in a 2.0. Thank you!

Sorry for multiple questions @hushcom - I'll make this my final one.

In the event an applicant has disproportionately different cumulative/science GPA's, how is this taken into account? Based on my cumulative gpa, I'm simply not competitive. That said, I'm finding it hard to believe several screw ups 12+ years ago in basic classes will cause adcomm's to think I'm not capable of handling medical coursework...though I've been wrong before.

Long story short, I performed horribly in my freshmen/sophmore level classes 12ish years ago. My first 40 or so credits are abysmal. That said, I've done exceedingly well in all of my science classes. My last 135 credits I've maintained a 3.6. I've also got a 3.9 in my post-bacc.

My cumulative is a 3.0. My science is a 3.7, potentially a 3.8 when I'm finished with my post-bacc.

How should I view my competitiveness?

Some schools have hard numeric cutoffs in order to winnow the many thousands of applications. Others are looser. If you make it past the screen then it will be very easy for someone with a brain to look at your application and see your trajectory. For someone like you it is important to apply broadly, which will maximize your odds of getting a foot in the door somewhere.

Hi hushcom, thanks in advance for help.
What D.O. you think about ESL applicants with noticeable accents who have some trouble expressing themselves during an interview due to stress? Also, in your past experience did they perform as well on interview as native English speakers? Any advice for one of them?

Accents are fine, but if you cannot communicate under stress it becomes difficult to imagine you functioning in a medical environment.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahoy Hushcom, me really appreciate yer time for answerin' our questions.
How do ye look at a student wit this stat:
3.95+ (both science/cumulative GPA's) from a top-10 school, LOR, EC's, research, other experiences be reasonably good, but MCAT can only be 9/12/9 (- this be t' score from AAMC#3, #4, #5).

Your MCAT isn't poor, it's just not quite at the median for matriculated students. It could be that you did not prepare fully, or that you aren't a tremendous standardized exam taker, or perhaps you just had an off day. You still did better than most who take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a major dilemma regarding sending letters of recommendation. I plan to ask for a letter of recommendation from me pre-med advisor and he said that he can get me rec in by August 1st since there be other people lined up before me. However, I know that schools like Columbia, U Chicago, Wash U and, and Cornell start giving out interview invites mid-July so secondaries need to be completed at the beginning of July. I know that I will be disadvantaged if he sends the rec on August 1st because there are only limited interview slots available, and I don't want to risk putting myself at a disadvantage and diminish my chances at admissions. However, if I choose to exclude the premed committee rec, it will look bad since most other people are getting a letter too. Yale also says that they prefer a committee rec and they are one of the schools that start sending out interview invites mid-July. By then, I will have my own part ready (AMCAS and secondaries), so I will just be waiting on that rec. What do you suggest I do?

Some schools have hard numeric cutoffs in order to winnow the many thousands of applications. Others are looser. If you make it past the screen then it will be very easy for someone with a brain to look at your application and see your trajectory. For someone like you it is important to apply broadly, which will maximize your odds of getting a foot in the door somewhere.

Thanks for getting back...and for dealing with repetitive questions from a constant flow of neurotic pre-meds....it must be exhausting.

@hushcom Ive been told I use a lot of "flowery prose" all throughout my writing. I always have, I guess it's just my style. However I've been advised to remove anything flowery/"poetic" sounding from my personal statement, on the grounds that it is "cheesy" and adcoms won't appreciate it the way a peer would. Is this true? Will writing this way actually hurt my chances? I felt like my first draft with all the flowery prose was much more...heartfelt, but that may simply be because I am familiar with my writing and am proud of certain things regarding it. also, do adcoms have distaste for occasional "passive voice" in the PS ?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions!

If you found out an applicant is mainly driven/motivated by money (but is also well qualified and would make a good physician from other perspectives), would it be a huge negative for him? For the sake of the question, lets say... a LOR pointed this out.

Mainly curious how admissions views the whole money thing, since money and medicine have been discussed endlessly on these forums.

First off If you take the time to actually evaluate this, thank you very much! I realize it may be annoying to answer these type of questions, but I had to try :). I appreciate any advice as far as holes in my app or ways to make me a better applicant.

I am a 26yr old white male married with 1 child
I recieved an associates degree in applied science and have been a surgical technologist for going on 5 years now. I found my passion for medicine through this career and have decided to go back and pursue a career as a physician. I have been working as a scrub tech, TA, and at a suboxone clinic part-time while in school.

I had a less than great gpa at community college (scrub tech) 3.15
My university gpa is a 3.8 not combined with CC credit
I took all pre-reqs at university and all other sciences courses (IU-east)
Organic chem I & II A
Physics I & II A
Biology A+
Chemistry I B
Chemistry II A
Genetics B
Cell Biology A
Molecular Biology A
Microbiology A
I will be taking the MCAT this coming summer 2014 and applying for matriculation 2015

Scrub tech for 6 yrs by the time of application
Work at a Suboxone clinic for 3 years
active in church sunday school teacher, and volunteer with food pantry
2 time all-american swimmer in high school
life guard and swim coach in high school for 6 years

Shadowing experience
Internal med doc in outpatient setting 20hrs
Interventional radiologist 20hrs
hospitalist 30hrs
gen surg (rounding and clinic) 20hrs
rural FM with OB doc 16hrs
Plus 6 years surgery experience in all specialities as first assist and scrub pass

TA in gen chem and freshmen Biology

Can get strong letters from surgeons I work with and feel the same for professors too

hey @hushcom thanks so much for doing this!

judging from the purported 'record' number applicants in this admissions cycle, how important is being complete in july versus, say early august? i'm considering reapplying and i'm signed up for an mcat date in june. if i were to submit my amcas in june and have med schools wait for my mcat score all the way till july, even with the quick completion of secondaries, would i lose the advantage of submitting the amcas early in june? i ask because i'm strongly considering taking the mcat in may to be earlier, as i think a late application this cycle has landed me in my current predicament.

Hi Hushcom, thanks for all the time you've been putting into this. I hope you can give me some thoughts about my situation:

I'm a non-trad. I don't have any of the pre-req's done yet, so I'm planning on a 2-year post-bac to knock out the science courses as well as sociology (already took psych), stats, calc and biochem. I'm a bit concerned by the fact that I won't have demonstrated that I can handle a heavy load of science courses. How do you weigh applicants who are working full-time while doing career-changer post-bacs?

I'm enrolled in a summer session of chemistry that covers Chem 1+2 in 7 weeks (Harvard Summer School - 3 labs per week, satisfies pre-med requirement, should be pretty fast paced). If I do well in this, will that satisfy most AdComs that I can handle a bunch of science at once?

On the topic of work, I'm currently an EMT finishing up paramedic school and I'm not sure whether I should keep working the field or pick up an ER tech job. As I see it, the role of a paramedic in the field has a lot of similarities to the role of a physician in the hospital: it would put me in a leadership position and put a lot more responsibility on me to assess patients and make important clinical decisions. On the other hand, as an ER tech I'd be getting a lot more exposure to the hospital environment and seeing how the in-hospital team operates. I'd also have a much better chance of getting a good LoR from an ER tech job. Would you prefer to see paramedic experience, ER tech experience, part-time at each, or it doesn't make much difference to you?

Thanks again!

1. We definitely take into account work + school.
2. Sounds tough, but taking two classes quickly is not quite the same as juggling several courses over multiple semesters.
3. They are all quite similar to me.

How are activities such as Student Government perceived as? Too common? What about participating in your University's academic integrity process? (helping them review cases)

Thanks!

It's good.

Hey Hushcom,

I am getting ready to apply this year but am considering taking another gap year to teach abroad and learn Spanish. Let me explain.

I took my first gap year to do basic pre-med stuff: research, hospice volunteering, take MCAT and work as a medical scribe. This was added to the research and volunteering I did at college. My GPA was 3.91 and MCAT was 34 and taken June of 2013.

I've always wanted to learn Spanish and live abroad (my brother and sister currently live abroad) but never took advantage of it during college. So instead of applying this cycle I could apply in June 2015 and live/teach English abroad for one year or more. My MCAT score will be 2 years old at the time of the 2015 cycle.

1.) Is this a good idea?

2.) Is there anything I should be concerned about? Like if I don't get accepted and will then have a 3 year MCAT score for the 2016 cycle although I feel I have a good chance of being accepted during the 2015 cycle.

3.) Or would you recommend applying this year. Although that would be a lot of work as I would spend the summer filling out secondaries, working full time, beginning to learn Spanish, and arranging for somewhere to teach abroad beginning in August/September. I'd also have to arrange for flights home for interviews.

Thanks!

1. I cannot tell you if it's a good idea or not. If you do not take this opportunity to live abroad and learn Spanish it will probably not come around again for a long, long time.
2. MCAT scores do not really age, at least not to me. If you got a 34 once then you're perfectly capable of getting a 34 again. What I do not know is how long schools will consider your score to be valid. If the clock runs out and you have to retake it you will be facing a different exam with a different set of pre-reqs.
3. I would not recommend applying from abroad, although that doesn't mean it's not your best option.

Hi Hushcom, thank you so much in advance. Your responses have been very insightful. Hopefully you can provide some advice to my situation.

I recently got a job as a medical scribe in an ER. Although the work itself was very enjoyable, it did not go well because I had a terrible supervisor who did not respect me or communicate with me. I was only given overnight shifts and was constantly asked to come in for meetings at awkward times. I quit after 3 months so I could focus on MCAT studying and my clinical research job.

Is this activity something I should list on my AMCAS application even though it was only 3 months? On one hand, I gained lot of interesting experiences in a clinical setting which could be viewed favorably. On the other hand, the short tenure could questions about why I did not continue working, for which I do not have a very good response.

You do have a good response. While you found the work enjoyable, the timing of the shifts was too disruptive so you left to focus on your research job and prepare for the MCAT. People leave bad jobs all the time. If it does come up, however, do yourself a favor and resist the urge to rip on your supervisor.

How do admission committees take MCAT retakes? Thanks in advance!

Retaking after a bad score: logical.
Retaking after a really good score: the applicant has issues.
Retaking an okay score: depends on why.

Will showing a sense of humor during an interview hurt you. For instance I was asked why do I want to be a doctor and I answer because I couldn't be a Cowboy Astronaut. Would light humor such as this automatically earn one a rejection?

Depends on the audience. George Carlin was never invited to speak to the Southern Baptist Convention. You have to gauge the tenor of the encounter and see if the interviewer is receptive to such comments. When played well, it looks like you have a personality. When played poorly, you look like someone who has trouble with normal human interaction.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for your response! A follow-up question:

My advisors have told me that schools have different views of retakes... some view the higher (most schools), some average (some schools), and another way that I forget... Is this true?
Schools vary on how they consider multiple MCAT scores. For instance:

University of Virginia, Temple, and Georgetown only consider the most recent MCAT score set. Tufts considers the highest score set. George Washington actually considers the highest score for each individual sub section for all MCAT score sets. Boston U considers all submitted MCAT score sets.

Hello, I was wondering. I am in danger of getting a C in my molecular biology class (3000-level, not the intro)
Would you advise taking a W rather than a C? I am taking the prerequisite genetics course at the same time during the same semester, and I think skipping up a level might have been biting off a bit too much to chew. I just thought a W and NO decrease in GPA would be better than factoring in a 2.0. Thank you!

How do awards for presentations about your research at symposiums look on an application? Or are symposiums also considered fluff?

I have a major dilemma regarding sending letters of recommendation. I plan to ask for a letter of recommendation from me pre-med advisor and he said that he can get me rec in by August 1st since there be other people lined up before me. However, I know that schools like Columbia, U Chicago, Wash U and, and Cornell start giving out interview invites mid-July so secondaries need to be completed at the beginning of July. I know that I will be disadvantaged if he sends the rec on August 1st because there are only limited interview slots available, and I don't want to risk putting myself at a disadvantage and diminish my chances at admissions. However, if I choose to exclude the premed committee rec, it will look bad since most other people are getting a letter too. Yale also says that they prefer a committee rec and they are one of the schools that start sending out interview invites mid-July. By then, I will have my own part ready (AMCAS and secondaries), so I will just be waiting on that rec. What do you suggest I do?

Hate to say it, but I would probably wait for the committee rec. You can file your AMCAS application earlier and have everything else processed and verified. Perhaps you will get lucky and the rec will be finished early.

While not a deal breaker, it always looks a bit suspicious when a committee rec is not received. Many times the reason is excusable, such as a non-traditional applicant who has been out of school for awhile, or an institution that does not even do committee recs. But if your school does them you should jump through the hoops, even if it slows things down.

If this question has been asked before dsiregard, but what really stands out on good personal statements to you? you dont have to list a ton of stuff or make it long, i'm not asking for you to do work for me. It's just that based off of my work on my personal statement and others it seems like a ton of personal statements have pretty much identical material like sick relative, beginning with an experience as an intern, liking science, and wanting to help people. it seems like mad-libs med school application edition, so standing out seems to be hard. I've been pretty much scrapping every draft I have because of that.

Thanks for getting back...and for dealing with repetitive questions from a constant flow of neurotic pre-meds....it must be exhausting.

You are welcome. While it must be intriguing to have a glimpse of my side of the fence, it is interesting to hear everyone's stories and concerns.

@hushcom Ive been told I use a lot of "flowery prose" all throughout my writing. I always have, I guess it's just my style. However I've been advised to remove anything flowery/"poetic" sounding from my personal statement, on the grounds that it is "cheesy" and adcoms won't appreciate it the way a peer would. Is this true? Will writing this way actually hurt my chances? I felt like my first draft with all the flowery prose was much more...heartfelt, but that may simply be because I am familiar with my writing and am proud of certain things regarding it. also, do adcoms have distaste for occasional "passive voice" in the PS ?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions!

Unless you have published your flowery prose somewhere or received unbiased accolades for it I would urge you to opt for clear and concise. Most of the PS's that stand out do so in a negative way.

If you found out an applicant is mainly driven/motivated by money (but is also well qualified and would make a good physician from other perspectives), would it be a huge negative for him? For the sake of the question, lets say... a LOR pointed this out.

Mainly curious how admissions views the whole money thing, since money and medicine have been discussed endlessly on these forums.

Almost everyone is motivated by money to some extent. That bread and wine doesn't buy itself. I assume that everyone I interview would like to make a decent living being a physician, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Per your question, if someone were so money driven that it was mentioned in a LOR, I would consider that a huge red flag. Wanting a lot of money is somewhat at odds with the amount of delayed gratification required in this profession, and when you factor in the debt, the hours, and all the people you will see suffer and die, doing it for the Benjamins strikes me as naive.

What did you think of the pirate-speak yesterday? Did you give up on answering after that one post?

First off If you take the time to actually evaluate this, thank you very much! I realize it may be annoying to answer these type of questions, but I had to try :). I appreciate any advice as far as holes in my app or ways to make me a better applicant.

You seem like a fairly well-rounded applicant, and I do not see any glaring holes. If you do well on the MCAT I think you will have a very good shot.

What did you think of the pirate-speak yesterday? Did you give up on answering after that one post?

I appreciate the whimsy. I was just short on time.

hey @hushcom thanks so much for doing this!

judging from the purported 'record' number applicants in this admissions cycle, how important is being complete in july versus, say early august? i'm considering reapplying and i'm signed up for an mcat date in june. if i were to submit my amcas in june and have med schools wait for my mcat score all the way till july, even with the quick completion of secondaries, would i lose the advantage of submitting the amcas early in june? i ask because i'm strongly considering taking the mcat in may to be earlier, as i think a late application this cycle has landed me in my current predicament.

Have you taken the MCAT before?

Thanks for your response! A follow-up question:

My advisors have told me that schools have different views of retakes... some view the higher (most schools), some average (some schools), and another way that I forget... Is this true?

I think I answered this some while back, but I look at them on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes the most recent is the most telling, other times it is better to average them.

@hushcom

In case you missed my question, I just posted it again :):

Hi Hushcom! I have a question about scribe experience. A doctor I know, who works in private practice, offered to let me volunteer in his clinic as a 'scribe.' Basically, I get to interact directly with patients, type up everything they say on the SOAP notes, and then relay the information back to the doctor so that he can get an idea of what's going on and diagnose the patient's condition.

I know this is not an actual paid scribe position (for which there is training in the ER dept. and extensive rules). In addition, I would be a scribe in primary care, not ER...Since I will be volunteering and since the doctor owns the clinic, the scribe position is more flexible. I plan to do this for 4-5 months.

Could I still put this on my resume as a clinical scribe position? Or would it not be considered as a legitimate scribe role? Would you say this experience is different from shadowing?

Also, this doctor is allowing me to interact fully with the patients (although I am not allowed to touch them, draw blood, take blood pressure, etc. ) Is this okay?Or will adcoms think that this position is "too much of a role" for a pre-medical student to have and hence, disapprove of it?
I would really appreciate your answers! Thank you!

How do awards for presentations about your research at symposiums look on an application? Or are symposiums also considered fluff?

Depends on the symposium. It might be very impressive, or it might be like being the best badminton player in Tuvalu.

For LORs, (lets say for a school who wants to output primary care docs for rural underserved areas) is it true that if the letter puts emphasis or even mentions that the student is very interested/passionate about rural medicine/primary care medicine, is that an important thing to have on there?
Or for research intensive schools, same idea.

Basically, is that the main thing schools look for on LORs? Someone else to say that the applicant has X interest/passion/talent for meeting their school mission/goal?

You seem like a fairly well-rounded applicant, and I do not see any glaring holes. If you do well on the MCAT I think you will have a very good shot.
Thank you very much for your advice! I agree the MCAT will be a big predictor my opportunities.

Hello hushcom.

I am retaking a 31 MCAT this summer. The reason is because I took it in Aug of 2011. I am applying to enter sept of 2015. Some schools will not accept MCAT older than 2 years (which makes my mcat not acceptable).

If I ended up with a re-take score of say 28, how much will my old score weigh? Will adcoms consider the fact I had to retake due to old scores expiring for certain schools?

How about 32? 34? 36?

Thank you.

Hate to say it, but I would probably wait for the committee rec. You can file your AMCAS application earlier and have everything else processed and verified. Perhaps you will get lucky and the rec will be finished early.

While not a deal breaker, it always looks a bit suspicious when a committee rec is not received. Many times the reason is excusable, such as a non-traditional applicant who has been out of school for awhile, or an institution that does not even do committee recs. But if your school does them you should jump through the hoops, even if it slows things down.

Oh well. I guess I have no choice anymore.

Have you taken the MCAT before?

Yes, I have indeed taken the mcat before. I got a 34, and was thinking of retaking to make up for my relatively low GPA. Incidentally, many people here would unequivocally say that's a no-no, but as you said, it'd be a case-by-case basis right?

Sorry for sneaking in an extra question, and thanks for all your guidance.

@hushcom just wondering, my school does not do committee letters, is that something the adcoms are aware of without my needing to mention?

All that hard work for nothing. I'm prepared to get screwed. My premed advisor insists that submitting August 1st doesn't provide a disadvantage, but I know for sure that it does. If U Chicago for instance, has 150 interview slots for the season and lots of applicants submit early, then all the slots could potentially be filled. It really sucks to have a premed committee at my school. They make my life a lot harder than if there isn't one.

Thanks hushcom for answering my question several pages back. I've got one more.

I interviewed last month and am awaiting a decision. I have a grade update (a couple A's) from my SMP, and wanted to send an update letter. I reckon that my grades would be helpful because my undergrad grades were the biggest question mark on my application (hence the SMP.) However, a few folks on SDN have said that I should be more strategic - hold off on sending an update letter in case I get waitlisted, so I can be fresh in their mind.

I won't have any other meaningful updates between now and June, when my classes end. So do you agree that I should wait, or send it ASAP?