Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I cannot decide of this physician is being generous or exploitative. It is certainly different from shadowing, somewhere in the zone between scribe and volunteer. The problem is that it sounds like you will be essentially taking patient histories, something you have absolutely no training for. This would certainly raise my eyebrows, and it makes me question this individual's judgement. Or is there something I am missing?

@hushcom Well, I would go see the patient first and ask them questions about why they are here, their family history, medication they are currently taking, past surgeries/illnesses etc. Then, my job is to relay all of this to the doctor who will confirm this history and diagnose their condition. Is this something that should not be done by a pre-med student? I initially thought this seemed like a very good learning experience, but now that you tell me adcoms will not approve, I'm not so sure. Would you suggest I just let this opportunity pass?

I guess the physician is being too generous...he seems too nice to be exploitative =/

Members don't see this ad.

@hushcom Well, I would go see the patient first and ask them questions about why they are here, their family history, medication they are currently taking, past surgeries/illnesses etc. Then, my job is to relay all of this to the doctor who will confirm this history and diagnose their condition. Is this something that should not be done by a pre-med student? I initially thought this seemed like a very good learning experience, but now that you tell me adcoms will not approve, I'm not so sure. Would you suggest I just let this opportunity pass?

I guess the physician is being too generous...he seems too nice to be exploitative =/

If it helps to clarify, I would be "volunteering" with the fourth year med students on clinical rotations at the doctor's office. They also do a lot of the same tasks that were assigned to me.

Scribes are allowed to get that information as long as the physician confirms it with the patient.

This is something that in other offices staff could be paid to do. There's nothing intrinsically wrong or illegal with you volunteering to do it, as long as no paid employees at his office currently do this for their job.

It would be good experience.

Members don't see this ad :)

Would you undergo any training related to HIPAA and sign a confidentiality agreement prior to doing this?

1. Family pressure is nothing new to us. The basic question is whether you are a corporate/suit-type who wants an MD or someone interested in medicine who found himself on a business track. The latter is more appealing, assuming it's the truth.

2. This poses no real red flags for me. It just looks like a kid who wanted to play collegiate baseball during the only time in life when that option is available.

Thanks very much. I'll keep this in mind as my cycle rolls around. I certainly think of myself as the latter of the two :)

@hushcom
Quick question: I studied abroad, for a short term winter class. It was the only term I could do it and still graduate on time. It wasn't a medical missions trip. However, we taught health topics to primary school children in a developing country. Is this something that admissions would consider important or interesting? Thanks!

Hi @hushcom , I have a quick question regarding Letters of Intent. I contacted the admissions office of a school I am waitlisted on and they mentioned that they would accept a LOI (as I understand that not all schools are receptive to them). My question is about the timing of sending one in: would you recommend I send in a letter around this time, mid April? Or would it be better to send it around early May, close to May 15th? Does the timing matter in terms of when the adcom is likely to look at it more closely? I assume May 15th becomes rather busy with all the final decisions being made by students with multiple acceptances, so I am not sure if it would influence anything if I chose to send it closer to that deadline versus ahead of time. I also sent in an Update Letter a few months ago to this school, if that changes anything.

Thank you so much for your time and input! It's greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
@hushcom
Quick question: I studied abroad, for a short term winter class. It was the only term I could do it and still graduate on time. It wasn't a medical missions trip. However, we taught health topics to primary school children in a developing country. Is this something that admissions would consider important or interesting? Thanks!

It is something I might ask you about in an interview, to see what the experience was like and what you learned from it. Probably not a real barn burner, though.

Hi @hushcom , I have a quick question regarding Letters of Intent. I contacted the admissions office of a school I am waitlisted on and they mentioned that they would accept a LOI (as I understand that not all schools are receptive to them). My question is about the timing of sending one in: would you recommend I send in a letter around this time, mid April? Or would it be better to send it around early May, close to May 15th? Does the timing matter in terms of when the adcom is likely to look at it more closely? I assume May 15th becomes rather busy with all the final decisions being made by students with multiple acceptances, so I am not sure if it would influence anything if I chose to send it closer to that deadline versus ahead of time. I also sent in an Update Letter a few months ago to this school, if that changes anything.

Thank you so much for your time and input! It's greatly appreciated.

There is no way to know if an optimal time even exists, much less when it is, so there is no way to game this system. If I were you I would send it ASAP. This maximizes the chance that it will be in your application file when the wait list is built or revised.

hey hushcom, I posted this earlier but I figured you might not have seen it. I've looked through the forums and read students opinions on this issue, but I would like to get more straightforward guidance

I am in danger of getting a C in my molecular biology class (3000-level, not the intro)
Would you advise taking a W rather than a C? I am taking the prerequisite genetics course at the same time during the same semester, and I think skipping up a level might have been biting off a bit too much to chew. I just thought a W and NO decrease in GPA would be better than factoring in a 2.0. Would a W look worse than a C?

Hi hushcom,
How do you view working for an IFT EMS company? This company responds to some 911 calls, but the majority of calls are transporting patients to/from the hospital and nursing homes. Would this still be a valuable clinical experience?
Thanks!

Hi,

I have 2 summers of research experience (~800 hours). I'm applying without a publication and without letters of reference from PIs, but I can talk about the research projects. I'm interested in doing research in med school, and I'm interested in going to research-focused schools. Based on my limited experience, are my research interests believable?

hey hushcom, I posted this earlier but I figured you might not have seen it. I've looked through the forums and read students opinions on this issue, but I would like to get more straightforward guidance

I am in danger of getting a C in my molecular biology class (3000-level, not the intro)
Would you advise taking a W rather than a C? I am taking the prerequisite genetics course at the same time during the same semester, and I think skipping up a level might have been biting off a bit too much to chew. I just thought a W and NO decrease in GPA would be better than factoring in a 2.0. Would a W look worse than a C?

Sorry, I thought I had answered this one. If I were in your shoes I would take the W. And next time take the pre-req before the upper level course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi hushcom,
How do you view working for an IFT EMS company? This company responds to some 911 calls, but the majority of calls are transporting patients to/from the hospital and nursing homes. Would this still be a valuable clinical experience?
Thanks!

Sounds pretty standard. It might be more interesting if it spurred an interest in geriatrics, but that likely did not happen.

Hi,

I have 2 summers of research experience (~800 hours). I'm applying without a publication and without letters of reference from PIs, but I can talk about the research projects. I'm interested in doing research in med school, and I'm interested in going to research-focused schools. Based on my limited experience, are my research interests believable?

Sure it's believable, but unless you are applying MD/PhD there isn't much reason to make a huge deal out of it. There will be ample research opportunities anywhere you go, and with the proliferation of Capstone Projects it seems that almost all medical students are doing some sort of research nowadays, including the ones who just want to match into FM and practice in a rural setting. The problem is that medical school does not include a lot of free time to do high quality science. If anything you should look at it as a stepping stone to a research-intensive residency and/or post-doc, depending on how invested you are.

Hey hushcom, thanks for doing this! I posted this on the MCAT board (shortened it here)- but I'd like your opinion if you're willing to offer it :)

Took the MCAT twice, and entertaining the thought of a third take. I have a low GPA (<3.3), and am going to an SMP this fall. I'm planning on applying the cycle after the completion of my SMP. I'd like to get into my state school, but the average MCAT here is between 32-33.

My previous takes:
1st take- 29Q (9 - 10 - 10)
2nd take (one year later) - 31 (10 - 11 - 10)

I have a free summer before my SMP, and based on previous practice tests/studying, am relatively confident I can improve the 31 I got to at minimum a 33 or 34. Although my own confidence isn't exactly what will be reality - so I understand the risk in a third retake if there's no improvement or even a lower score. Just wondering if you would advise retaking it or if you would suggest sitting on the 31. Thanks for your time!

Hey hushcom, thanks for doing this! I posted this on the MCAT board (shortened it here)- but I'd like your opinion if you're willing to offer it :)

Took the MCAT twice, and entertaining the thought of a third take. I have a low GPA (<3.3), and am going to an SMP this fall. I'm planning on applying the cycle after the completion of my SMP. I'd like to get into my state school, but the average MCAT here is between 32-33.

My previous takes:
1st take- 29Q (9 - 10 - 10)
2nd take (one year later) - 31 (10 - 11 - 10)

I have a free summer before my SMP, and based on previous practice tests/studying, am relatively confident I can improve the 31 I got to at minimum a 33 or 34. Although my own confidence isn't exactly what will be reality - so I understand the risk in a third retake if there's no improvement or even a lower score. Just wondering if you would advise retaking it or if you would suggest sitting on the 31. Thanks for your time!

You have studied twice, taken the exam twice with a year between sittings, and your section scores are pretty steady. Before giving any advice I would ask how another round of MCAT prep would be different than the last two.

Reactions: 1 user
You have studied twice, taken the exam twice with a year between sittings, and your section scores are pretty steady. Before giving any advice I would ask how another round of MCAT prep would be different than the last two.

That's a good question - After analyzing my previous takes (the 2nd take of which I believe I choked a bit or just got plain unlucky, because I ran into several passages on topics that I regretfully weren't as familiar with as I should have been. Practice scores with AAMC's tests were mid 30's), I've seen that my weakness isn't in the testing strategy, but in knowledge of the content. (I almost always get questions correct when I'm very comfortable with the material, and I don't struggle with finishing the questions on time)

So this time around, I believe that just focusing on mastering all the areas in PS and BS that I'm not quite familiar with can help me a lot. To me, this weakness makes sense because of my relatively poor performance in the pre-reqs.

Edit: Forgot to mention that during my previous takes, my preparation in learning the material took a secondary priority to just taking as many practice tests as possible, which I regretfully didn't review as thoroughly as I should have anyway.

(the 2nd take of which I believe I choked a bit or just got plain unlucky, because I ran into several passages on topics that I regretfully weren't as familiar with as I should have been.

Choking is getting questions you know the answer to wrong because you cannot perform under pressure. Unlucky is having the sprinkler system go off 3 minutes into the VR section. Not being as familiar with the material as you should have been? That's not choking or bad luck, it's inadequate preparation.

Ryush said:
So this time around, I believe that just focusing on mastering all the areas in PS and BS that I'm not quite familiar with can help me a lot. To me, this weakness makes sense because of my relatively poor performance in the pre-reqs.

With your GPA, a bump in the MCAT would probably help your candidacy significantly. If you can put yourself on a study schedule and raise your score by 2+ points then it might be worth it. Conversely, the SMP might help you raise your score without this added effort, and the later you retake the lower the chance of having your score expire at an inopportune time.

Choking is getting questions you know the answer to wrong because you cannot perform under pressure. Unlucky is having the sprinkler system go off 3 minutes into the VR section. Not being as familiar with the material as you should have been? That's not choking or bad luck, it's inadequate preparation.

With your GPA, a bump in the MCAT would probably help your candidacy significantly. If you can put yourself on a study schedule and raise your score by 2+ points then it might be worth it. Conversely, the SMP might help you raise your score without this added effort, and the later you retake the lower the chance of having your score expire at an inopportune time.

piggybacking off of this, what is the preverbal "floor" for GPA and MCAT, where a high MCAT can save a candidate with a lower GPA and vice versa (For example, a 3.3 GPA is still salvageable with a 35 MCAT)?

I guess I'm not too sure what factored into my lower score than expected. Unlucky would definitely be the wrong word though.

Thanks for your thoughtful response! :) I will definitely try to raise that score.

piggybacking off of this, what is the preverbal "floor" for GPA and MCAT, where a high MCAT can save a candidate with a lower GPA and vice versa (For example, a 3.3 GPA is still salvageable with a 35 MCAT)?

If anyone learns anything from this entire thread, I hope it is that everything on one's application must be interpreted in context. There is no simple "floor" or equation for offsetting one low metric with another higher one.

High level athletics is a definite plus, as it demonstrates many positive qualities. It will not make up for substandard academics, though. If you want to be a physician, and you cannot make adequate grades because you are too busy with sport, that does not speak well of you.

What would be an example of substandard academics, GPA wise? Or does it depend on a case by case basis?

Do I have to disclose that I have ADHD when i apply? I was recently diagnosed, and although I had a huge upward trend in grades, the trend happened before to found out I had ADHD.

What does it mean to you if an applicant claims disadvantaged status? Does it make any real difference? Do adcoms look at them more favorably?

Do I have to disclose that I have ADHD when i apply? I was recently diagnosed, and although I had a huge upward trend in grades, the trend happened before to found out I had ADHD.

You don't have to disclose your personal medical history.

I had the same thing happen. Mediocre B student in UG, dx with ADD and began taking meds after earning my degree. Went back for post-bach and had straight As. I didn't mention it on my application, figured it's better to let the upward trend speak for itself..

Reactions: 1 users
What advice do you have for current medical students doing admissions interviews? I am generally looking for someone I can imagine being successful in my class and someone I could see myself working with in school and in the future. My concern is that I am too casual and friendly for a classical interview setting. But I am not sure that's a bad thing either!

Maybe this is random, but how do you feel about thank you notes after an interview? Obviously this is a very good idea in the corporate world, but with the sheer volume of applicants being interviewed for med schol, will it really affect your chances, and could it come off as overly eager or "brown-nosing" to some interviewers? Also, how about thank you emails? The world seems to be undecided on that issue.

What would be an example of substandard academics, GPA wise? Or does it depend on a case by case basis?

You tell me, a chemistry major from Harvey Mudd with a 2.98 versus a general studies major from ASU with a 3.98.

It's case-by-case, although at first glance my brain instantly separates GPAs into high-3, mid-3, low-3, and sub-3.

No, that's private medical information.

What does it mean to you if an applicant claims disadvantaged status? Does it make any real difference? Do adcoms look at them more favorably?

The first thing I look at is to see if the applicant's description of being disadvantaged is reasonable. Some people think disadvantaged means having only one horse while growing up.

I would not use the term "favorably" in assessing students from disadvantaged backgrounds, but it can certainly impact how you view their personal and educational attainment. It is extremely hard to get ahead in this country when you are born with the deck stacked against you.

What advice do you have for current medical students doing admissions interviews? I am generally looking for someone I can imagine being successful in my class and someone I could see myself working with in school and in the future. My concern is that I am too casual and friendly for a classical interview setting. But I am not sure that's a bad thing either!

Everyone's interview style is different, over time you will find your own. I like casual and friendly because it gets people to open up, which is more useful than having them maintain interview-grade composure. In time you will get comfortable probing applicants' deficiencies (the committee will often like explanations) and you will know a red flag when you see one. No amount of advice will replace practice.

Maybe this is random, but how do you feel about thank you notes after an interview? Obviously this is a very good idea in the corporate world, but with the sheer volume of applicants being interviewed for med schol, will it really affect your chances, and could it come off as overly eager or "brown-nosing" to some interviewers? Also, how about thank you emails? The world seems to be undecided on that issue.

I get them, both paper and email, but they mean almost nothing to me. The one exception was an applicant who wrote a thank-you that was worthy of a fourth grader. Did not impress.

Some awesome responses in here hushcom

My questions

1) How do you view reapplicants?

2) When you refer to screeners, are they simply people that pass an application to you if it meets certain objective guidelines or do they do some subjective interpretation of the application and then pass it on to you if it gets there initial stamp of approval?

3) Do you ever have days when you just aren't feeling the whole application review process? Do you trudge through those days? Take a break so it doesn't effect how you view applicants?

Huschcom, how often to med schools over-accept and have to rescind outstanding applications because they ran out of seats?

Some awesome responses in here hushcom

My questions

1) How do you view reapplicants?

2) When you refer to screeners, are they simply people that pass an application to you if it meets certain objective guidelines or do they do some subjective interpretation of the application and then pass it on to you if it gets there initial stamp of approval?

3) Do you ever have days when you just aren't feeling the whole application review process? Do you trudge through those days? Take a break so it doesn't effect how you view applicants?

1. With both eyes.*
2. The exact functioning of screeners varies somewhat from place to place, but I think they almost invariably rely upon some degree of subjective interpretation. Their job is to get a massive pile of applications down to just a big pile, and you cannot do that simply using numbers.
3. When I get tired I have the luxury of walking away for awhile and recharging.

*Depends on the reapplicant. Sometimes people had clear deficiencies in the prior cycle, so I look to see if they have been addressed. Other times it is unclear why the person is a reapplicant, which may be attributable to poor strategy, lousy interview skills, or some unknown factor.

Is there a noticeable advantage for applicants from a top school (i.e. Harvard)?

There are a few schools (like Harvard) that catch the eye more than most, but just being from Harvard isn't going to save you if the rest of your application is not up to snuff. The grade inflation as some so-called top schools is so bad that it may actually work against alumni of those institutions who do not have high GPAs.

I am actually more partial to small schools than highfalutin ones, but I also find it impressive when a first generation college student can successfully navigate a large university.

Huschcom, how often to med schools over-accept and have to rescind outstanding applications because they ran out of seats?

I have never heard of a school rescinding offers due to such a situation. To my knowledge "overbooking" is quite rare, and when it has happened the school has taken a cue from the airlines and offered significant financial incentives to those willing to defer for a year.

Who would benefit best from completing a SMP? And are they looked down upon?

1. Someone truly intelligent and hard working who nonetheless has some type of blemish on his/her application. Doing an SMP is a bit like gambling. If you perform well in one of the tough programs (don't ask me for a list) it looks really good. If you blow it then you may never find a domestic program willing to take a chance on you.

2. No, but I only see SMP applicants with decent results. I'm sure there are others who never reach my desk.

Reactions: 2 users
Like you won't be qualifying for any need-based financial aid.

That's not ALWAYS the case. Also, depends on the event... I am a competitive rower and would most likely qualify for need-based financial aid.

They can't rescind seats. What they have to do is seat the "overbooked" applicants, on their (the med school's) dime. How the deans manage to NOT have this happen is a mix of art and magic.

I have never heard of a school rescinding offers due to such a situation. To my knowledge "overbooking" is quite rare, and when it has happened the school has taken a cue from the airlines and offered significant financial incentives to those willing to defer for a year.