Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That's not ALWAYS the case. Also, depends on the event... I am a competitive rower and would most likely qualify for need-based financial aid.

Rowing? I was thinking more like a Tartan 4300.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @hushcom a quick merit aid question. What, other than fantastic GPA, MCAT, and ECs, can a person do to make themselves more attractive for merit aid? I know I won't be getting any fin. aid since my parents made some good investments while I was in college, and they won't be helping me out financially (which is completely understandable). I've been an extremely good student in a very difficult major at a traditionally very tough school, and there might be a small chance of snagging something if I cast a wide enough net. Do you have any advice for someone in my situation? Even if it's not strictly merit aid related.

They can't rescind seats. What they have to do is seat the "overbooked" applicants, on their (the med school's) dime. How the deans manage to NOT have this happen is a mix of art and magic.

Wouldn't overbooking give med school an extra ~50k (less for state schools) in tuition per seat?

@hushcom I have a fairly long post with my situation. Is there any way you'd look at it and reply if I linked it? Here it is. Other Adcom folks are welcome as well if anyone would point them in that direction.

Hey @hushcom a quick merit aid question. What, other than fantastic GPA, MCAT, and ECs, can a person do to make themselves more attractive for merit aid?

No clue, but praying to as many Gods as possible might help.

Reactions: 1 users
@hushcom I have a fairly long post with my situation. Is there any way you'd look at it and reply if I linked it? Here it is. Other Adcom folks are welcome as well if anyone would point them in that direction.

Wow, tough situation, but you might find an admissions committee that is sympathetic to your plight. Most of us have families and can grasp that four years of spousal misery was too much to bear.

On the other hand, the question of your commitment will probably linger. I agree that you will need to show continued interest through community service and whatnot, and obviously get a fresh MCAT score. In contrast to the standard advice, I would only apply to those few schools where you will have adequate support. Contact their admissions offices and let them know what is going on, they would appreciate the heads up.

Above all, you will need to come to terms with the fact that this might work out, and you will need a Plan B.

Thanks a ton. I will definitely do this. And I will think hard on plan B.
I had intended to only apply to the 3 nearby schools, and I am glad to hear you say the same. Thanks again.

Hey @hushcom , would appreciate any advice on whether or not I should retake MCAT. Applied this cycle to MD only. Applied to 10 schools. Anticipate reapplying MD and applying DO early this June. Have taken the MCAT twice. June 2013- (10P, 6V, 9B) and August 2013- (10P-9V,9V).

Applied with: cGPA 3.53 sGPA 3.40. might worthwhile to list the trend starting from freshmen year:

3.35 --> 2.4 (i know, awful -_-) --> 3.85 --> 3.78 --> 3.83 --> 3.94 (i'm hoping the upward trend will compensate for the horrific freshman year) Also, last semester I had a 4.0, and anticipate a 4.0 this semester too, which would bring my cGPA to roughly 3.65 and sGPA 3.5.

Is the 28 MCAT an application killer? Is there any chance for an MD acceptance? I have great EC's and strong LOR.

I'm getting married this June, so wedding planning/busy senior year has deterred me somewhat from studying for the MCAT again. Although I think I muster up one more crack at it if absolutely necessary.

Good Evening Thank you so much for taking the time answer all these questions. Have read a lot of them and it has been helpful! I have a quick question.

If someone does terrible in some of the pre-req classes (due to illness) and stops taking the pre-req science classes to focus on their major* (non-science) but completes a post bacc (informally) to retake those classes (& the ones they did not initally take) how would the committee view this?

Let's say they are able to maintain a 4.0 in the pre-req classes and some upperlevels (while working full time, part time student status) would that be enough to convince you of their ability to succeed in medical school classes. If not, what else do you feel this applicant must do, academic wise, to put him/herself in a favorable light?

* This person was able to deans list second half of undergrad, and do very well in major and minor classes (although, again both non-science).

Thanks for you help!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You tell me, a chemistry major from Harvey Mudd with a 2.98 versus a general studies major from ASU with a 3.98.

It's case-by-case, although at first glance my brain instantly separates GPAs into high-3, mid-3, low-3, and sub-3.
What's the general cut off for a high-mid-low 3? 3.75 for high and 3.40 for mid?

Also, are you an adcom at a Canadian friendly school?

Hey @hushcom , would appreciate any advice on whether or not I should retake MCAT. Applied this cycle to MD only. Applied to 10 schools. Anticipate reapplying MD and applying DO early this June. Have taken the MCAT twice. June 2013- (10P, 6V, 9B) and August 2013- (10P-9V,9V).

Applied with: cGPA 3.53 sGPA 3.40. might worthwhile to list the trend starting from freshmen year:

3.35 --> 2.4 (i know, awful -_-) --> 3.85 --> 3.78 --> 3.83 --> 3.94 (i'm hoping the upward trend will compensate for the horrific freshman year) Also, last semester I had a 4.0, and anticipate a 4.0 this semester too, which would bring my cGPA to roughly 3.65 and sGPA 3.5.
Is the 28 MCAT an application killer? Is there any chance for an MD acceptance? I have great EC's and strong LOR.

I'm getting married this June, so wedding planning/busy senior year has deterred me somewhat from studying for the MCAT again. Although I think I muster up one more crack at it if absolutely necessary.

A 28 MCAT is not a killer, but if there is nothing really compelling about your application it becomes a real struggle to rise above the competition (which is loaded with people who have similar scores, EC's, and LOR's).

Good Evening Thank you so much for taking the time answer all these questions. Have read a lot of them and it has been helpful! I have a quick question.

If someone does terrible in some of the pre-req classes (due to illness) and stops taking the pre-req science classes to focus on their major* (non-science) but completes a post bacc (informally) to retake those classes (& the ones they did not initally take) how would the committee view this?

Let's say they are able to maintain a 4.0 in the pre-req classes and some upperlevels (while working full time, part time student status) would that be enough to convince you of their ability to succeed in medical school classes. If not, what else do you feel this applicant must do, academic wise, to put him/herself in a favorable light?

* This person was able to deans list second half of undergrad, and do very well in major and minor classes (although, again both non-science).

Thanks for you help!

If you are getting A's while taking upper level science courses and working I find that very favorable. The applicant I watch out for is someone who get's A's but takes the minimum pre-reqs one at a time. Getting a solid (30+) MCAT will also help your case.

What's the general cut off for a high-mid-low 3? 3.75 for high and 3.40 for mid?

Also, are you an adcom at a Canadian friendly school?

My own rough guide is 3.7-4.0 = high, 3.4-3.6= mid, 3.0-3.3 = low, but that's just me and that's just the starting point for my analysis.

I don't think we're unfriendly to Canadians.

@hushcom- Thank you for taking the time to answer neurotic premed questions. As a non-trad I certainly have questions, and without a premedical advisor or committee this is particularly enlightening.
I viewed in a previously thread that an adcom might raise an eyebrow at someone who took pre-reqs one at a time and earned A's. Well I certainly don't have all A's in my pre-reqs but did have to take them one at a time. Each class was a pre-req for the next class, in that case would that be a different scenario?
I do work full time as a supervisor in a lab(microbiologist), with a family so with classes my plate is rather full, but surprisingly manageable. Early in my academic career I had taken a time management class...it helps!
Lastly, how does an adcom view non-trads that have extensive experience in the clinical lab? My position affords me the opportunity to work closely with many disciplines in healthcare, as well as projects that benefit or improve patient care.
Thanks a bunch!

@hushcom - So awesome that you're doing this, thank you.

I fall into the category of undergrads with abysmal GPAs (cGPA 3.3 sGPA 2.9).

I was not set to be a doctor from the beginning, and have slowly done better in classes, but grades are overall unimpressive. I have worked my way through college and have had multiple jobs each semester. I've improved in any class retake. My past is full many EC's, no research as of now, lots of shadowing. Most recently, I have been volunteering at a hospital for the last 8 months.

My questions - is there hope and what would be most beneficial for me to focus on now? (Start looking to an SMP? Crush the MCAT? Get research done?) I have the opportunity to do a three-month med internship in Moscow at the European Clinic in the fall. Would this help much, or would it not carry much weight?

Thank you so much for any advice.

Last edited:
My own rough guide is 3.7-4.0 = high, 3.4-3.6= mid, 3.0-3.3 = low, but that's just me and that's just the starting point for my analysis.

I don't think we're unfriendly to Canadians.
So is it true Canadians are really held to a higher standard? Or is this adcom and school dependent?
I'm a Canadian applicant and everyone tells me numbers need to be well above average to have a shot.. along with excellent ECs (which I do have basically).

How much attention do you pay to how interviewees are dressed? Does it matter if someone interviews in a flashy, expensive-looking suit? Does it matter if one's dress shoes are scuffed? The folks in the interview-attire threads seem to think that the cut and color of one's suit, tie, and shoes could matter immensely, but I'm skeptical of that.

@hushcom- Thank you for taking the time to answer neurotic premed questions. As a non-trad I certainly have questions, and without a premedical advisor or committee this is particularly enlightening.
I viewed in a previously thread that an adcom might raise an eyebrow at someone who took pre-reqs one at a time and earned A's. Well I certainly don't have all A's in my pre-reqs but did have to take them one at a time. Each class was a pre-req for the next class, in that case would that be a different scenario?
I do work full time as a supervisor in a lab(microbiologist), with a family so with classes my plate is rather full, but surprisingly manageable. Early in my academic career I had taken a time management class...it helps!
Lastly, how does an adcom view non-trads that have extensive experience in the clinical lab? My position affords me the opportunity to work closely with many disciplines in healthcare, as well as projects that benefit or improve patient care.
Thanks a bunch!

1. When I referred to taking pre-reqs one-at-a-time I meant the core science classes required by virtually all medical schools. An example would be someone who takes General Chemistry during freshman year, General Biology during the summer, Organic during sophomore year, and Physics as a Junior, while filling the rest of the schedule with Underwater Basket Weaving Seminars and zero other science. That sort of schedule does not mean the applicant can't hack it, but he/she just hasn't really shown it.

2. I would see such experience as a big positive, although if you spin it poorly it runs the risk of making you appear one-dimensional. Fortunately that risk is comparatively small, and if you play your cards right it will help you stand out. Heck, having real time management skills will put you ahead of the game.

@hushcom - So awesome that you're doing this, thank you.

I fall into the category of undergrads with abysmal GPAs (cGPA 3.3 sGPA 2.9).

I was not set to be a doctor from the beginning, and have slowly done better in classes, but grades are overall unimpressive. I have worked my way through college and have had multiple jobs each semester. I've improved in any class retake. My past is full many EC's, no research as of now, lots of shadowing. Most recently, I have been volunteering at a hospital for the last 8 months.

My questions - is there hope and what would be most beneficial for me to focus on now? (Start looking to an SMP? Crush the MCAT? Get research done?) I have the opportunity to do a three-month med internship in Moscow at the European Clinic in the fall. Would this help much, or would it not carry much weight?

Thank you so much for any advice.

It looks like you already have a lot of EC's, shadowing, volunteering, etc. With a sub-par GPA piling on more of the same won't help - the point of diminishing returns is near or already past. Research would be nice, but depending on your target schools it is a relatively low priority.

To stand a decent shot you will need to begin with GPA repair, be it in the form of a post-bacc, SMP, or other reputable master's program.

1. When I referred to taking pre-reqs one-at-a-time I meant the core science classes required by virtually all medical schools. An example would be someone who takes General Chemistry during freshman year, General Biology during the summer, Organic during sophomore year, and Physics as a Junior, while filling the rest of the schedule with Underwater Basket Weaving Seminars and zero other science. That sort of schedule does not mean the applicant can't hack it, but he/she just hasn't really shown it.

2. I would see such experience as a big positive, although if you spin it poorly it runs the risk of making you appear one-dimensional. Fortunately that risk is comparatively small, and if you play your cards right it will help you stand out. Heck, having real time management skills will put you ahead of the game.

Ahh..I see. Thanks for clarifying...I was getting more neurotic for a minute there :).

As for the experience part, not remaining one-dimensional is just one of the reasons why medicine is such a passion for me. I really want and need to be part of the larger scheme of things than just the clinical lab.

Thanks again! You're doing an invaluable service to us!!

How much attention do you pay to how interviewees are dressed? Does it matter if someone interviews in a flashy, expensive-looking suit? Does it matter if one's dress shoes are scuffed? The folks in the interview-attire threads seem to think that the cut and color of one's suit, tie, and shoes could matter immensely, but I'm skeptical of that.

You need to look neat and professional. That's about it.

If you wear Armani with Hublot on your wrist I will just assume that you are a narcissist with a rich dad. I also interview applicants from very meager backgrounds who wear off-the-rack suits from Marshall's. Way more impressive.

You need to look neat and professional. That's about it.

If you wear Armani with Hublot on your wrist I will just assume that you are a narcissist with a rich dad. I also interview applicants from very meager backgrounds who wear off-the-rack suits from Marshall's. Way more impressive.

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...rt=20&cgid=Suits&prefn1=lineID&prefv1=Suit Up
If I were buying a suit just to have one, I'd go with something like this. I like that the pattern makes it stand out a bit, but I'm worried it'll stand out too much for med school interviews.

No. I'm tall, skinny, and have an interest in fashion.

Charcoal is your friend. If you have one suit, let it be charcoal. Good for weddings, funerals, graduations, interviews, you name it.

Since you have an interest in fashion, a wise person once said that we dress for who we want to be, not for who we are. What you are at this stage is an applicant to professional school. You have the rest of your life to dress for who you want to be.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks hushcom for taking so much of your time to answer many, many questions.

In next year's cycle, do you know how ADCOMs will view applications with the new MCAT compared with the individuals with the current MCAT? This isn't a question of incredible importance, I'm just curious how a bundle of applications with a wide variety of old and new MCATs will be viewed next application cycle. This will, of course, not be relevant to any significant extent in 3 or 4 years, but it will be beginning in 2015. Thank you.

Thanks hushcom for taking so much of your time to answer many, many questions.

In next year's cycle, do you know how ADCOMs will view applications with the new MCAT compared with the individuals with the current MCAT? This isn't a question of incredible importance, I'm just curious how a bundle of applications with a wide variety of old and new MCATs will be viewed next application cycle. This will, of course, not be relevant to any significant extent in 3 or 4 years, but it will be beginning in 2015. Thank you.

Good question, and right now I have no good answer. The MCAT has been significantly revised at a number of points in the past, and with each revision I'm sure there was a transition period of several years between old and new. One thing I am grateful for is that the scoring system will be based on four 15-point sections rather than three, which will make it easier to discriminate between versions. I admit that I am very curious to see how the Critical Analysis & Reasoning Skills section scores compare to the Bio and Chem/Physics ones.

If you are getting A's while taking upper level science courses and working I find that very favorable. The applicant I watch out for is someone who get's A's but takes the minimum pre-reqs one at a time. Getting a solid (30+) MCAT will also help your case.

Thank you very much for your feedback. Unfortunately, 4 pre-req classes were taken one at a time due to schedule conflicts with other pre-req classes & work (I work fulltime). I plan to take at least 2 upper levels and still work full time in addition to outside activities (most likely research and continued shadowing) next semester. I'll be doing this while I apply. Would that maybe mitigate the effects of only taken some of the classes one at a time?

Thank you very much for your feedback. Unfortunately, 4 pre-req classes were taken one at a time due to schedule conflicts with other pre-req classes & work (I work fulltime). I plan to take at least 2 upper levels and still work full time in addition to outside activities (most likely research and continued shadowing) next semester. I'll be doing this while I apply. Would that maybe mitigate the effects of only taken some of the classes one at a time?

Um, yes, working full time mitigates a lot.

I am a practicing physician who serves on the admissions committee of an allopathic medical school in the United States. I am also not new to SDN, having seen the cast of characters evolve here over a number of years. Some recent threads in the pre-allo forum have compelled me to start this one. While I am not a longstanding and venerated member of the committee, perhaps someone will find my two cents useful and/or interesting.

So please, have at it.
How do you view post baccalaureate work from say a UC? Does it carry a lot of weight?

Would you recommend working at a place such as Pfizer during the gap year or work as a medical scribe and perhaps do some research on the side (although already having two years of research).

Or would you recommend to do research full time at a university?

Thanks!!

Would you recommend working at a place such as Pfizer during the gap year or work as a medical scribe and perhaps do some research on the side (although already having two years of research).

Or would you recommend to do research full time at a university?

Thanks!!

Those all sound like perfectly fine opportunities. I would not second guess you for selecting any one of them.

How do you view post baccalaureate work from say a UC? Does it carry a lot of weight?

Most of the UC's are fine schools. If you are asking if the sun rises and sets with them, the answer is no, but most of them are fine schools.

How do you view someone coming from a small Liberal Arts College that's very unknown? Will this affect chances of getting in because it is not a well known (or even known at all) school?

Also, does lacking results in a research project mean that it was insignificant? Or are the lessons and techniques learned from research good enough?

Last edited:
I am wondering how a letter of recommendation written by a graduate student (TA) and cosigned by the professor looks? The TA knows me far better. Also, I come from a large public university (UC), and it is difficult to get to know your professors intimately, would that be factored in for the LOR?

Also, can a few very good LORs make up for one generic one?

Thank you so much!

I'm interested to know this as well. Also, how important is it to have LORs from MDs? I feel like the activities where I can show skill and hard work as opposed to just enthusiasm and basic organizational competence are overseen by PhDs (research and work vs. shadowing and volunteering). Would one MD letter be enough?

I'm a little late to the thread, but maybe I can still get an answer.

I have the opposite problem from a lot of previous questions in the thread, in that I started ok (~3.5 in pre-reqs) but stumbled senior year in quantum physics and an electrical engineering class. I ended up with less than a 3.0 for my senior year, although my overall GPAs were still ~3.2. After a strong semester of biology post-bacc classes, I'm back to 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA, along with a low-30s MCAT. I'm starting an SMP (Boston University MAMS) in the fall and plan on applying to med schools again in Summer 2015, but I'm concerned med schools will still judge me harshly for my senior year. Am I wasting time/money with grad work when I should be doing more undergrad? Or are the grad classes, which are done alongside med students, enough?

Last edited:
Quick question:

If I am applying to a MD school should I have shadowed an MD? I know it seems obvious but I have a really awesome GeneralSurgeon DO that's letting me shadow him and it's a lot of fun and I want him to write me a letter.

I feel like if I shadow another doctor but an MD than it'll be for a short period of time and he won't write me as good as a letter as the DO.

Thanks again!

How do you view first generation college student? Does it affect in any way? Also how would adcoms know that a student is first generation college student unless it was mentioned in PS?

Do med schools look down on religions activities? I've extensive leadership experience in my church and want to put that as part of my works/activities item. Buti was told that med schools have a prejudice against religions activities?

First off thanks for helping us out here! I'm about half way through reading this thread but figured I would throw my question out there in the meantime.

Graduated with a BBA. Low GPA zero science classes involved.
Worked for my family's business (85 employees and 8 locations) from the age of 16 with the intent of taking over, started to do so just before I graduated. Never really wanted to but felt that someone had to. Decided that I wanted to do medicine for a series of very interesting reasons I wont waste your time with.

Now:
cgpa=3.08
Bcpmgpa=3.72
Grades after graduation are all pre reqs plus a few upper division sciences. All the science classes I've ever taken started here.
MCAT=29 took at the same time as 15 hrs of course work so that I could get my health professions packet info started early and possibly apply to SMPs
Retake early June I'm aiming for a 33, though of course this is just speculation.
500+ shadowing hours. I know its overkill, but I was learning so much about the behind the scenes of medicine and honestly really enjoyed it. I'm aware questions will be asked about this
LOR from physics 2 professor, histology professor, and doctor I shadowed.
Only about 20 hrs volunteering. Habitat and a homeless clinic.
No research experience.
Still working at the company until the day I leave for school.
Texas resident

My question for you is: do I apply for MD programs in Texas this cycle? Will an SMP appreciably help my chances? I plan on doing one for my gap year to stay fresh anyhow. I realize my username is horrible...

How do you view someone coming from a small Liberal Arts College that's very unknown? Will this affect chances of getting in because it is not a well known (or even known at all) school?

Also, does lacking results in a research project mean that it was insignificant? Or are the lessons and techniques learned from research good enough?

There is no such thing as an unknown college in this country. Are admissions to your school very competitive?

At your level research is all about learning the process. Sometimes the results you obtain are simply that what you had been doing didn't work.

I am wondering how a letter of recommendation written by a graduate student (TA) and cosigned by the professor looks? The TA knows me far better. Also, I come from a large public university (UC), and it is difficult to get to know your professors intimately, would that be factored in for the LOR?

Thank you so much!

1. I have never come across a cosigned LOR, and it makes no sense for one to exist.
2. We do not really give students from big universities with relatively impersonal LORs some sort of handicap, if that's what you are asking.
3. I look at the letters as a whole, and it is not uncommon to have some variation in quality between them.

I'm interested to know this as well. Also, how important is it to have LORs from MDs? I feel like the activities where I can show skill and hard work as opposed to just enthusiasm and basic organizational competence are overseen by PhDs (research and work vs. shadowing and volunteering). Would one MD letter be enough?

It depends on how much interaction you have had with MDs. I would not expect one from someone who has shadowed a particular doctor for 10 hours, but if you have been volunteering at a free clinic for three years it would be odd to not receive one from someone on the staff.

I'm a little late to the thread, but maybe I can still get an answer.

I have the opposite problem from a lot of previous questions in the thread, in that I started ok (~3.5 in pre-reqs) but stumbled senior year in quantum physics and an electrical engineering class. I ended up with less than a 3.0 for my senior year, although my overall GPAs were still ~3.2. After a strong semester of biology post-bacc classes, I'm back to 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA, along with a low-30s MCAT. I'm starting an SMP (Boston University MAMS) in the fall and plan on applying to med schools again in Summer 2015, but I'm concerned med schools will still judge me harshly for my senior year. Am I wasting time/money with grad work when I should be doing more undergrad? Or are the grad classes, which are done alongside med students, enough?

If you do well your SMP will be more than enough. Good luck.

Quick question:

If I am applying to a MD school should I have shadowed an MD? I know it seems obvious but I have a really awesome GeneralSurgeon DO that's letting me shadow him and it's a lot of fun and I want him to write me a letter.

I feel like if I shadow another doctor but an MD than it'll be for a short period of time and he won't write me as good as a letter as the DO.

Thanks again!

A practicing surgeon is a practicing surgeon. If you feel he would write you the strongest letter then go with it.