Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah, that makes sense (unfortunately). Is there a way that you recommend I frame the experience to display it in a better light? Also, are there any similar opportunities/organizations within America that you could recommend?

If you frame it around the length of time you have been working on it, your level of responsibility within the organization, and can provide some details to support the long lasting effects of your trip, I think it will be a significant positive for you. Global health is becoming more of an issue these days, so perhaps you could do some research on that and bolster your case.

I cannot recommend any domestic opportunities, although I would suggest you begin by looking at states that refused the Medicaid expansion. In the states that accepted it the free clinics are gradually shutting down for lack of business.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
If you frame it around the length of time you have been working on it, your level of responsibility within the organization, and can provide some details to support the long lasting effects of your trip, I think it will be a significant positive for you. Global health is becoming more of an issue these days, so perhaps you could do some research on that and bolster your case.

I cannot recommend any domestic opportunities, although I would suggest you begin by looking at states that refused the Medicaid expansion. In the states that accepted it the free clinics are gradually shutting down for lack of business.
Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for - thank you so much for your help!

Hey hushcom, welcome back!

If you had to decide on the top 3 most common interview mistakes what would they be?

And if you have time, how thoroughly do you read through the secondaries because I imagine after a point things get repetitive/time is more valuably spent somewhere else.

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@hushcom
Thank you for taking the time to do this. I will try and make this brief.

I moved out and on my own when I was 16. I worked FT and got my GED. I made two attempts at college and ended up withdrawing from both semesters (a total of 5 W's and 1 F). Also, I shoplifted from Walmart shortly after turning 18 and got caught, so I have that misdemeanor charge too.

After all those red flags, will I still be given the opportunity to prove I'm not the person I was during that time? I'm not in the same situation anymore, I've learned from mistakes, I've completed a FT load of classes with decent grades and even while pregnant with a due date during the school term (which I didn't miss any assignments nor drop in grade quality). I'm working on my EC's too.

I'm just worried that my past will exclude me from consideration.

@hushcom,
Do you take external factors into account when you see an applicant with an unbalanced MCAT score? For example, I have a very unbalanced MCAT (11 PS, 6V, 13 BS) but I got an 8 in verbal on my first try. I moved to the U.S. six years ago and English is my third language. By SDN standards, I am royally screwed, but I was wondering if these things carry any weight in your decision about an applicant.

Thanks for doing this.

Can you tell us about a secondary response you have read that moved the applicant from the reject pile to the interview pile?

@hushcom, first of all thank you for taking the time to do this again!

My question is a bit specific. Earlier this month, after my AMCAS had already been verified, I realized that I had forgotten about three community college classes I had taken for fun during high school. I got A's in all of them, and they were never counted for a degree and didn't show up anywhere on my undergrad transcript, but the AMCAS instructions said that I had to list every post-secondary institution that I had ever been enrolled in, so I was pretty worried. I sent an email explaining the situation + a scan of the CC transcript to all the schools I applied to. What's done is done at this point, but how heavily would an oversight like this personally weigh in your mind?

@hushcom I wanted to get a letter of recommendation from the individual who was my undergraduate thesis director. He is now retired from the university, and as a result his letter is not on university letterhead. Is this acceptable or problematic?

@hushcom Thanks for answering questions!

I have a few:

1) How do you view active EMT experience versus scribing experience? My schools med school dean told me that they view EMT experience as 'just okay' but scribing as 'amazing', any idea why? I have 5 years of 50 hours a month, so 3000 hours of EMS work.

2) MCAT#1 = 5 years ago score = 19, MCAT#2 = 2 years ago score = 24, MCAT#3 = 34. First two attempt given much emphasis?

3) My undergrad GPA is 3.4 and sGPA is 3.2 (no trend just constant 3.2-3.6) I wasn't pursuing medicine until my brother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, but this happened my senior year. Took two years off, pursued a masters (immunology) and have a GPA of 3.6 (3.0 first semester, last three semesters 3.8) and multiple publications / presentations. How is my GPA and how much emphasis is put on the undergrad GPA in a situation like this?

Thank you Doctor!

Hey hushcom, welcome back!

If you had to decide on the top 3 most common interview mistakes what would they be?

And if you have time, how thoroughly do you read through the secondaries because I imagine after a point things get repetitive/time is more valuably spent somewhere else.

Thank you!

Common interview mistakes for me (in no particular order):
- Coming in with scripted answers and being unable to deviate from said script
- Being ill-prepared for fairly common interview questions (e.g. why this school)
- Thinking that always circling back to your accomplishments and how great you are impresses me (or anyone else, for that matter)

I can skim read secondaries to see if anything stands out.

@hushcom
Thank you for taking the time to do this. I will try and make this brief.

I moved out and on my own when I was 16. I worked FT and got my GED. I made two attempts at college and ended up withdrawing from both semesters (a total of 5 W's and 1 F). Also, I shoplifted from Walmart shortly after turning 18 and got caught, so I have that misdemeanor charge too.

After all those red flags, will I still be given the opportunity to prove I'm not the person I was during that time? I'm not in the same situation anymore, I've learned from mistakes, I've completed a FT load of classes with decent grades and even while pregnant with a due date during the school term (which I didn't miss any assignments nor drop in grade quality). I'm working on my EC's too.

I'm just worried that my past will exclude me from consideration.

Your youth and circumstances will be mitigating factors, but your biggest allies will be time, recent academic success, and community service. If your academic performance is strong enough you may find a school that takes a liking to your bootstrap story.

@hushcom,
Do you take external factors into account when you see an applicant with an unbalanced MCAT score? For example, I have a very unbalanced MCAT (11 PS, 6V, 13 BS) but I got an 8 in verbal on my first try. I moved to the U.S. six years ago and English is my third language. By SDN standards, I am royally screwed, but I was wondering if these things carry any weight in your decision about an applicant.

Thanks for doing this.

This is a tough one. I mean, yes, it's easy to look at your circumstances and see that you're a smart person whose MCAT is probably impacted by language issues. However, those same language issues may come back to haunt you when you are taking one of the 6,000 lengthy standardized exams necessary to become a licensed physician. Personally I would average your VRs to a 7 and consider that acceptable, depending on the rest of your application.

Can you tell us about a secondary response you have read that moved the applicant from the reject pile to the interview pile?

You would have to ask a screener. I can think of a couple secondary responses that edged someone from low wait list to reject, but cannot recount those here.

Members don't see this ad :)
@hushcom I wanted to get a letter of recommendation from the individual who was my undergraduate thesis director. He is now retired from the university, and as a result his letter is not on university letterhead. Is this acceptable or problematic?

It's acceptable. He will probably put "emeritus" on the letter somewhere and nobody will even notice.

@hushcom Thanks for answering questions!

I have a few:

1) How do you view active EMT experience versus scribing experience? My schools med school dean told me that they view EMT experience as 'just okay' but scribing as 'amazing', any idea why? I have 5 years of 50 hours a month, so 3000 hours of EMS work.

2) MCAT#1 = 5 years ago score = 19, MCAT#2 = 2 years ago score = 24, MCAT#3 = 34. First two attempt given much emphasis?

3) My undergrad GPA is 3.4 and sGPA is 3.2 (no trend just constant 3.2-3.6) I wasn't pursuing medicine until my brother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, but this happened my senior year. Took two years off, pursued a masters (immunology) and have a GPA of 3.6 (3.0 first semester, last three semesters 3.8) and multiple publications / presentations. How is my GPA and how much emphasis is put on the undergrad GPA in a situation like this?

Thank you Doctor!

1. EMT vs. scribing is apples to oranges. I don't see scribing as any more amazing, it's just different. The upsides are that you get to know providers fairly well, and can become familiar with health care technology and lingo. EMT takes commitment (which you have clearly demonstrated), forces you to think on your feet and remain calm under pressure, and exposes you to a lot of human misery. They're both cool in my book.

2. I would ask what you did to get your score from a 24 to a 34. My first thought in looking at your score pattern is that you took it twice without adequate preparation. If true it doesn't really speak well of you, but a 34 is a 34.

3. Tough one. The impact of your uGPA is somewhat diminished by the fact that you are non-trad, but it's still the first number everyone will go to. A 3.4 isn't bad, it's just meh. I don't know the details of your grad program, but I generally expect a very high GPA from Masters students. Your publication track record is a good thing. Really the biggest card in your hand is MCAT #3. Apply broadly and I'll bet you land some interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi hushcom, thank you very much for doing this!

I would like to get some feedback as to what my overall chances are for this cycle, mainly, how much applying "late" will hurt me.
NY resident, cGPA is 3.67, science is a bit below that, VERY steep trend (last three semesters all A's with 2 A-'s in mostly upper levels including physics, ochem, anatomy etc.)
pretty good (above average) EC's (fraternity president., hospice volunteer, first author publication, a lot of other stuff.)

The problem is, I will be taking the MCAT a couple weeks form now (August 7th.) based on practice tests, I'm expecting a 31-33, but who knows.
My primary app is about to be finished and I plan on pre-writing all of the secondaries before my MCAT scores come back so that they can go out immediately when I "officially" receive secondaries form schools.
I'm Applying to about 15 schools; all the SUNY's and a bunch of the easiest private schools in the northeast.
So,
1. How much do you think this "late" app will hurt me? Also more specifically, do you think this will effect my in-state advantage with the SUNY schools?
2. Do you think I'm in a decent position to get a couple acceptances somewhere, as in, would you say I have decent chances for getting multiple interviews or will I be lucky to have say, 1 interview?
3. How important are LOR's and when are they looked at during the cycle of an applicant generally? My school does not have a committee and I'm afraid two of my three letters may be a bit on the weak side.

Thanks again for all of the info, this thread has been very informative!

More the former. For example, if a student from another state is accepted at his/her state school, unless we want to expend a scholarship we pretty much know that he/she will not be coming.
Uh oh. This really freaks me out. My state school is literally my dead-last preference on a list of 25. If I get in, unless my opinion changes considerably during the interview, I would go literally anywhere else I applied first (though I would attend, if that were my only acceptance). The in-state tuition is not even that great.

Can adcoms also see if I've withdrawn from a school where I have an acceptance? That would prevent this from being a problem for me.

Thank you so much for doing this.

I am glad to see my learned colleague back as well! I agree 100% with what he wrote and would add:

babbling like an idiot (while the brain is in overdrive trying to come up with an answer)
being unprofessional
not making eye contact (yes I'm aware that in some cultures, one does not look elders in the eye, but the this is the USA and you need to look people in the eye here)

- Being ill-prepared for fairly common interview questions (e.g. why this school)
- Thinking that always circling back to your accomplishments and how great you are impresses me (or anyone else, for that matter)

On the Adcom meetings at my school, it's only the "what's special about Osteopathy?" that gets the DOs worked up and advocate for or against someone. No secondary has ever salvaged a poor candidate at my school.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi hushcom, thank you very much for doing this!

I would like to get some feedback as to what my overall chances are for this cycle, mainly, how much applying "late" will hurt me.
NY resident, cGPA is 3.67, science is a bit below that, VERY steep trend (last three semesters all A's with 2 A-'s in mostly upper levels including physics, ochem, anatomy etc.)
pretty good (above average) EC's (fraternity president., hospice volunteer, first author publication, a lot of other stuff.)

The problem is, I will be taking the MCAT a couple weeks form now (August 7th.) based on practice tests, I'm expecting a 31-33, but who knows.
My primary app is about to be finished and I plan on pre-writing all of the secondaries before my MCAT scores come back so that they can go out immediately when I "officially" receive secondaries form schools.
I'm Applying to about 15 schools; all the SUNY's and a bunch of the easiest private schools in the northeast.
So,
1. How much do you think this "late" app will hurt me? Also more specifically, do you think this will effect my in-state advantage with the SUNY schools?
2. Do you think I'm in a decent position to get a couple acceptances somewhere, as in, would you say I have decent chances for getting multiple interviews or will I be lucky to have say, 1 interview?
3. How important are LOR's and when are they looked at during the cycle of an applicant generally? My school does not have a committee and I'm afraid two of my three letters may be a bit on the weak side.

Thanks again for all of the info, this thread has been very informative!

How much will it hurt you? Some, I know that much. It's impossible to quantify, especially since your MCAT is still a wild card. The only real decision you have to make, however, is whether you are going to apply this cycle. Since it seems you have made that decision, there is not much point in worrying about the outcome. Just do your best and see how the cards fall.

LORs are important, although each adcom will weigh them a little differently. Same as above, you got what you got, so let it ride.

Uh oh. This really freaks me out. My state school is literally my dead-last preference on a list of 25. If I get in, unless my opinion changes considerably during the interview, I would go literally anywhere else I applied first (though I would attend, if that were my only acceptance). The in-state tuition is not even that great.

Can adcoms also see if I've withdrawn from a school where I have an acceptance? That would prevent this from being a problem for me.

Thank you so much for doing this.

Don't get me wrong, we accept plenty of OOS candidates with good shots at their state schools, we just lose a lot of them. It's more of an issue with highly competitive applicants from states like Virginia, because you know the person will probably get into UVA and stay close to home.

I am glad to see my learned colleague back as well! I agree 100% with what he wrote and would add:

babbling like an idiot (while the brain is in overdrive trying to come up with an answer)
being unprofessional
not making eye contact (yes I'm aware that in some cultures, one does not look elders in the eye, but the this is the USA and you need to look people in the eye here)

Yes, yes, and yes.

@hushcom, first of all thank you for taking the time to do this again!

My question is a bit specific. Earlier this month, after my AMCAS had already been verified, I realized that I had forgotten about three community college classes I had taken for fun during high school. I got A's in all of them, and they were never counted for a degree and didn't show up anywhere on my undergrad transcript, but the AMCAS instructions said that I had to list every post-secondary institution that I had ever been enrolled in, so I was pretty worried. I sent an email explaining the situation + a scan of the CC transcript to all the schools I applied to. What's done is done at this point, but how heavily would an oversight like this personally weigh in your mind?

Since you got A's I would personally ignore the oversight. I mean, it doesn't make you look particularly good to forget about classes you have taken, but high school is such a confusing time.

@hushcom

how is enlisted military service viewed by adcoms? Does it make an applicant stand out or is that dependent on what type of service (naval vs combat)?

Hey hushcom! thanks for doing this. I have two questions.

How do schools in general view reapplicants, particularly those that applied really late previous cycle? Could the 'red flag' stigma be lessened if schools see an application that otherwise is good but came late in the cycle and wasn't strongly competitive? I ask because the little feedback i've been able to gather from schools centered on me having a late application. Second, and related to this, would it make sense for a late applicant like me (complete in october/november last cycle) to apply to many of the same schools, but be complete early at them? i'm complete at half my schools now and anticipate finishing all apps in a few days. Thanks for your advice. I'm hoping to use it to gauge how many new schools i should apply to, CA resident 3.7/34. Thanks for the help!

@hushcom - I really appreciate the valuable information you have shared with the SDN community.

I have a quick question in regards to LORs. I have letters from the pre-health committee/PI/MD/workplace/two other professors (all of which are very strong, without sounding too arrogant). I was really curious as to whether or not ADCOMs in general actually read every single letter, or if they just read the pre-health committee letter since (from what I've read) it typically encompasses the other letters inside the packet.

What is your take on this? Are letters taken a closer look at when you're in the final stages of accepting/wait-listing/denying an applicant or are they read and analyzed before interviews invites are sent out? I'm sure this process varies from school to school, but I would like to hear your take on this.

Thank you very much for taking the time to type this out.

1. EMT vs. scribing is apples to oranges. I don't see scribing as any more amazing, it's just different. The upsides are that you get to know providers fairly well, and can become familiar with health care technology and lingo. EMT takes commitment (which you have clearly demonstrated), forces you to think on your feet and remain calm under pressure, and exposes you to a lot of human misery. They're both cool in my book.

2. I would ask what you did to get your score from a 24 to a 34. My first thought in looking at your score pattern is that you took it twice without adequate preparation. If true it doesn't really speak well of you, but a 34 is a 34.

3. Tough one. The impact of your uGPA is somewhat diminished by the fact that you are non-trad, but it's still the first number everyone will go to. A 3.4 isn't bad, it's just meh. I don't know the details of your grad program, but I generally expect a very high GPA from Masters students. Your publication track record is a good thing. Really the biggest card in your hand is MCAT #3. Apply broadly and I'll bet you land some interviews.

Thank you so much. You are great!

Thank you so much!!! This is really really great.

How should we strike a balance between being prepared and sounding rehearsed?

Posted using SDN Mobile

@hushcom Thank you very much for taking the time to do this for us!

I wanted to ask you a couple of questions regarding distance learning courses and your general opinion of my particular situation -- I'll be as brief as possible.

I was born 3 1/2 months premature, and wasn't expected to live. I spent a good portion of my first months in an incubator, and as a result or the early birth, my respiratory system was not up to par until I was about 12. I frequented the hospital for checkups for the majority of my childhood, but still managed to do very well in school. I came from Puerto Rico to attend college in the continental US, and English is my second language. I have since become fluent in English, French and studied ancient Greek. The language barrier and the fact that I was here alone initially posed a bit of an issue for me, and I struggled a bit as a result. Then, I lost my grandmother -- who was a big part of raising me, moreso a mother figure, as my mother worked. I graduated from George Washington University with a c2.88 in Biological Anthropology, and with a 2.41 sGPA -- although I have very few classes that count toward my sGPA, so this will undoubtedly change. I have since graduated with a 3.7 from the top forensic science school in the US with a Master of Science in Forensic Science. I completed an internship with the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner here in CT, which initially prompted my love and admiration for the medical field, and then during a shadowing opportunity I had with St. Vincent's hospital in Bridgeport, CT, I fell in love with the patient interaction aspect and overall holistic approach that DO's partake in. I have since been accepted to a post-bacc program, but have the option of completing the majority of my required science prereqs via the University of New England's Health Sciences Distance Learning Program for non traditional students. I work 40+ hours a week as a resident services coordinator for property that provides low income housing for financially disadvantaged and handicapped residents, and I LOVE the ability I have to interact with people; I cannot give up this position. I will take advantage of the grade replacement that is permitted, I will become a DO, and I plan on doing what I must to make that happen, but I wanted to know, what are your thoughts specifically of distance learning classes, and what do you feel I should do to get myself where I need to be? What would you need to see to feel comfortable with me as an applicant? MCAT score wise, course selection (if you feel I should go beyond prereqs) etc.

Thank you again, very much for your time! This is invaluable for me!

Best,
Karla Rivera

Last edited:
@hushcom

1. How do you view online classes. Im not talking about pre reqs, just some humanities and social sciences. I do this so that I can work more hours.

2. I have noticed a few questions about community college credits. If you don't mind i have one more. I am forced to take gen chem and gen bio series in order to transfer. Does that seem reasonable ?

Thanks

Note: sorry if any of these questions have been asked multiple times.

Last edited:
@hushcom

1. How do you view online classes. Im not talking about pre reqs, just some humanities and social sciences. I do this so that I can work more hours.

2. I have noticed a few questions about community college credits. If you don't mind i have one more. I am forced to take gen chem and gen bio series in order to transfer. Does that seem reasonable ?

Thanks

I'm obviously not an adcom, but I thought I would throw this out to you: You do realize that you can take upper level classes in biology and chemistry to satisfy pre-med requirements at most schools? As a result, even for the few schools that won't accept or that disparage community college credits, you don't necessarily need to redo course work.

@hushcom

how is enlisted military service viewed by adcoms? Does it make an applicant stand out or is that dependent on what type of service (naval vs combat)?

It will make you stand out, although I have seen apps from combat vets with serious PTSD issues that give me pause.

Hey hushcom! thanks for doing this. I have two questions.

How do schools in general view reapplicants, particularly those that applied really late previous cycle? Could the 'red flag' stigma be lessened if schools see an application that otherwise is good but came late in the cycle and wasn't strongly competitive? I ask because the little feedback i've been able to gather from schools centered on me having a late application. Second, and related to this, would it make sense for a late applicant like me (complete in october/november last cycle) to apply to many of the same schools, but be complete early at them? i'm complete at half my schools now and anticipate finishing all apps in a few days. Thanks for your advice. I'm hoping to use it to gauge how many new schools i should apply to, CA resident 3.7/34. Thanks for the help!

We don't have a simple way to see when you applied in the previous cycle. Being a reapplicant can be a bit tricky. If you have a good app but don't get any acceptances it makes us wonder, if even just a little bit, that there is something off about you. If I were you, in an interview situation I would probably find a way to mention that you applied late last time.

But yes, go ahead and apply to the same schools again, and do so as early as possible. This is not a "one and done" process at all.

@hushcom - I really appreciate the valuable information you have shared with the SDN community.

I have a quick question in regards to LORs. I have letters from the pre-health committee/PI/MD/workplace/two other professors (all of which are very strong, without sounding too arrogant). I was really curious as to whether or not ADCOMs in general actually read every single letter, or if they just read the pre-health committee letter since (from what I've read) it typically encompasses the other letters inside the packet.

What is your take on this? Are letters taken a closer look at when you're in the final stages of accepting/wait-listing/denying an applicant or are they read and analyzed before interviews invites are sent out? I'm sure this process varies from school to school, but I would like to hear your take on this.

Thank you very much for taking the time to type this out.

Pre-health letters vary greatly from institution to institution. Most are painfully long and not worth the time to read every word. Some incorporate excerpts from the individual references, others just send the entire letters. Usually at the end there is a summative recommendation for the applicant, and I often read that first and then backtrack through the narrative portions to see if anything stands out. Sometimes the letter provides quantitative data, showing where the applicant ranks in their pool that year. That can be very helpful on our end. Individual letters are almost always easier since they are shorter, but I do the same thing: read the conclusion and then backtrack.

I don't know how closely the screeners look at the letters. In committee their significance really depends on the rest of the application. Some people need a superlative letter more than others, if you get my drift.

@hushcom Thank you very much for taking the time to do this for us!

I wanted to ask you a couple of questions regarding distance learning courses and your general opinion of my particular situation -- I'll be as brief as possible.

I was born 3 1/2 months premature, and wasn't expected to live. I spent a good portion of my first months in an incubator, and as a result or the early birth, my respiratory system was not up to par until I was about 12. I frequented the hospital for checkups for the majority of my childhood, but still managed to do very well in school. I came from Puerto Rico to attend college in the continental US, and English is my second language. I have since become fluent in English, French and studied ancient Greek. The language barrier and the fact that I was here alone initially posed a bit of an issue for me, and I struggled a bit as a result. Then, I lost my grandmother -- who was a big part of raising me, moreso a mother figure, as my mother worked. I graduated from George Washington University with a c2.88 in Biological Anthropology, and with a 2.41 sGPA -- although I have very few classes that count toward my sGPA, so this will undoubtedly change. I have since graduated with a 3.7 from the top forensic science school in the US with a Master of Science in Forensic Science. I completed an internship with the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner here in CT, which initially prompted my love and admiration for the medical field, and then during a shadowing opportunity I had with St. Vincent's hospital in Bridgeport, CT, I fell in love with the patient interaction aspect and overall holistic approach that DO's partake in. I have since been accepted to a post-bacc program, but have the option of completing the majority of my required science prereqs via the University of New England's Health Sciences Distance Learning Program for non traditional students. I work 40+ hours a week as a resident services coordinator for property that provides low income housing for financially disadvantaged and handicapped residents, and I LOVE the ability I have to interact with people; I cannot give up this position. I will take advantage of the grade replacement that is permitted, I will become a DO, and I plan on doing what I must to make that happen, but I wanted to know, what are your thoughts specifically of distance learning classes, and what do you feel I should do to get myself where I need to be? What would you need to see to feel comfortable with me as an applicant? MCAT score wise, course selection (if you feel I should go beyond prereqs) etc.

Thank you again, very much for your time! This is invaluable for me!

Best,
Karla Rivera

That's quite a story, and I wish you the best of luck. I am not familiar with that post-bacc program, but there is still a bit of a stigma against pure online coursework. Still, if you ace it while working full time it will be hard to argue with the results. The MCAT is going to be exceptionally important for you. Are you sure you don't want to throw on a few allopathic schools just for good measure?

Also, I feel compelled to say that in the vast majority of settings the medicine practiced by MDs and DOs is the same. In my view "holistic" is just a buzzword that gets thrown around a lot. Before joining my committee I had to go through an orientation on the so-called holistic review of medical school applications. The AAMC calls giving each application a thorough and balanced consideration to be holistic, I consider it obvious.

Reactions: 3 users
@hushcom

Thanks

1. Online courses are still viewed with some skepticism, but they are also becoming more common. In your case I would not worry about them.

2. Are you saying that you are being forced to take gen chem and gen bio at CC in order to transfer to a 4 year program?

@hushcom

Will applying last week of August put me in a huge hole in terms of timing for some of the low tier md programs?

Im non trad with 3.25 sgpa/3.1cgpa/3.9 post bacc/30 mcat/solid ec's.

Gpas include serious upward trends... sgpa and cgpa both 3.5+ over last 120 hours.

You have answered a lot of MCAT/GPA questions so I feel bad asking, but this has been bothering me for a while.

I have a GPA that's about 3.7 cGPA and a 3.6 sGPA (waiting to get verified) but my MCAT is a 27 (9/9/9). I'm applying to both MD and DO, but there are a few lower tier MD schools I'm hoping to attend because of their opportunities surrounding health policy which is something I want to get into in the future. I know when I see a 27 I don't think its very impressive at all and I would probably overlook my application, but I feel like my score distribution shows I'm academically balanced applicant. How much do you think the 27 will count against me despite having a balanced score across the sections? Do ADCOMs first see the overall score before the sections, or do they appear side by side? I'm afraid my extracurricular's will be overlooked because of my MCAT score.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
That's quite a story, and I wish you the best of luck. I am not familiar with that post-bacc program, but there is still a bit of a stigma against pure online coursework. Still, if you ace it while working full time it will be hard to argue with the results. The MCAT is going to be exceptionally important for you. Are you sure you don't want to throw on a few allopathic schools just for good measure?

Also, I feel compelled to say that in the vast majority of settings the medicine practiced by MDs and DOs is the same. In my view "holistic" is just a buzzword that gets thrown around a lot. Before joining my committee I had to go through an orientation on the so-called holistic review of medical school applications. The AAMC calls giving each application a thorough and balanced consideration to be holistic, I consider it obvious.

Thank you very much, sir!

I apologize, I don't mean to sound biased by using the word "holistic," DO's and that genre of lingo is just all I've known as far as working in a patient setting. I understand what you mean, though :) I honestly didn't even consider adding allopathic schools. I didn't feel like I could realistically compete GPA wise given that they don't permit grade replacement, which is really the only way I feel that I can feasibly turn my ship around in the near future. Do you feel that there is a particular reason why I could be accepted by an Allopathic program? Or are you saying that casting a wider net would be more beneficial to my situation?

Again, thank you very much for your time!

Best,
Karla

1. Online courses are still viewed with some skepticism, but they are also becoming more common. In your case I would not worry about them.

2. Are you saying that you are being forced to take gen chem and gen bio at CC in order to transfer to a 4 year program?

Yes I'm forced to simply because for when I was in high school I could care less about grades. Then after 3 years I decided to go back to school. CC was the only route I could take.

We don't have a simple way to see when you applied in the previous cycle. Being a reapplicant can be a bit tricky. If you have a good app but don't get any acceptances it makes us wonder, if even just a little bit, that there is something off about you. If I were you, in an interview situation I would probably find a way to mention that you applied late last time.

But yes, go ahead and apply to the same schools again, and do so as early as possible. This is not a "one and done" process at all.

Thanks for your answer hushcom! I definitely understand how medical schools can feel that way. You said mention in interviews; bad idea to do so in secondaries? I debated about doing this, especially for those schools that ask you if you are reapplicant and what has changed. Thanks again!

@hushcom

Do schools actually print out the applications and have physical files pertaining to the applicants? Or do you guys just all gather around with laptops to go over each application?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Do you think it's a good goal or a pipe dream for me to be considering a future at a top medical school? I have an undergraduate GPA of 2.9 (partialy completed pre med requirements)--which I would like to explain: I ran track in college, and I was one of the fastest hurdlers in the world for my age. I prioritized sports while I still had the body for it, knowing that my mind would keep. I even switched out of engineering and pre-med so that I could focus on running. I got a 31 on the MCAT and will be retaking it, considering I had been consistently scoring mid 30's on my practice exams. In the year since I've graduated I've worked full-time at a hospital, been a volunteer coach at a university, and taken 4 pre-med classes (BIO 1&2 and ORGO 1&2) and recieved all A's. I'm applying for a Biological Eningeering masters program in order to prove that I am fully capable of a 4.0, but I know that my 2.9 undergraduate GPA isn't erasable. I'm applying for med school this year as well, but I know I don't have a strong application as-is. Do you think that a masters program would be enough to show my worth?

Thanks for what you're doing with this forum, by the way. I know we all appreciate getting a little into the mind of a Dr. on an admission board.

Thanks so much for doing this @hushcom !

I was wondering if you can shed some light on what you think of publications? I have co-authored a few reviews and have substantial research experience though no actual research papers. Will this be viewed negatively or is any publication better than none?

Hi @hushcom,

Thank you so much for your invaluable advice! It takes a lot of time and is greatly appreciated!
Question: I took physics 1 at my university and received an A+. I was super proud and happy because it was not an easy feat. So, now I am taking physics 2 at my community college to take all my prereqs before the 2015 MCAT. However, I received a B. Is this grade going to downplay my A+? Do admissions pay much attention to the physics compared to bio/chem/orgo? Will it hurt me that I'm taking physics at community college and not at my university?
Also, my cGPA is 3.85 and I have decent ECs like clinical volunteering and research. Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
How are publications viewed? Could they bolster relatively scant research experience? On one hand, I think they show quality vs. quantity (i.e. contributing to a paper shows the research was meaningful, even if brief). On the other hand, I feel that undergraduate pubs are to some extent a matter of being in the right place at the right time (i.e. luck).

Thanks!

I started a thread about this at some point, but I'd like an opinion from an adcom member, if you have a time. Thank you for doing this!

What do you think about migraines? Will the fact that I had them (though I now have an effective medication) decrease the competitiveness of my application? The reason I'm asking this is because my life has otherwise been exceedingly easy. I'm probably one of the most fortunate pre-meds out there, with a very supportive family of doctors and no other particularly difficult hurdles. For all these challenge essays, those chronic migraines I had are the only real challenge that I can really put down. Should I spend time talking about them?

I am a fairly good applicant, when it comes to my research, clinical work, GPA and MCAT (average for med school matriculants), and I went to a really good undergrad, where I majored in a very challenging major. I also speak Spanish and am biracial (but not URM). I'm a pretty strong applicant, but these challenge essays are giving me problems. Should I include the migraines or will that be a red flag on my application? I could include other topics (like being biracial or the daughter of busy doctors), but I just don't see them as 'real' challenges...

My solution to this problem has just been to apply to a huge number of schools (35) and write a new challenge essay for each school that asks for one, with some challenge essays that don't mention migraines at all. This way, if I say something about the migraines that raises a flag, it will only affect my application at 1 of 35 schools.

Do you guys, or do you know any other schools, assign points for individual criteria and multiply the total point by 'social-racial' factor?

For example,

GPA of 3.8 gets 4 out of 5, MCAT of 32 gets 4 out of 5, mediocre EC gets 3 out of 5 and mediocre recommendation gets 3 out of 5. If you add all points, you will have 14 total points.
Now, if you are URM, disadvantaged student and etc, your total score is multiplied by 'multiplication factor'. URM=1.04, Disadvantaged= 1.02 or something.

I personally heard about this from adcom member, and I want to know how prevalent this grading system is. I know most big undergraduate institutions use point system to 'grade' applicants.

Yes I'm forced to simply because for when I was in high school I could care less about grades. Then after 3 years I decided to go back to school. CC was the only route I could take.

If you're stuck taking prereqs in CC then just get As and plan on proving your ability to handle upper level coursework after you transfer. I see students all the time who begin in CC, particularly from California. If you successfully climb the ladder, so to speak, it should not harm your overall chances.