Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At least 10, but I've seen as little as 4. I believe U WA requires at least 40!

I believe that med schools are OK with you deferring a pre-req until the senior year. Best to aks of Admissions deans at the schools you're interested in, just to be sure.
Regarding English pre-reqs, I have 3 credits of intro English and 3 elective from AP, but I know lots of medical schools need 6 credits writing. It might be a tough semester in the spring for me if I had to take another 3 credit course while studying for the MCAT2015. I COULD move a human nutrition biochem class a semester back because I heard extra classes don't help much in preparing for the MCAT (?).
But my question is: Can I take it during my senior year? Does it matter when it is? Or do I need it before I start applying...

An example is people who have a flat effect...completely devoid of emotion, like they're taking psychoactive medications. I've have some people cop an attitude during interviews, definitely a no-no.
what do you mean by a "personality disorder" being on display during interviews?

Truly depends upon where you applied to. There are schools that value reinvention (when combined with a great MCAT score). I think you should be optimistic. Hopefully Tulane was one of the schools?

So I would consider myself a nontrad, finished undergrad in a challenging science major with ~2.9, went straight to grad school in an established SMP and finished with +3.8. I scored a well balanced 33 my one time taking the MCAT. I have a lot of ECs and have held several research positions at top tier institutions. I sent in all my secondaries early July-August, and I only received one interview so far. Should I expect to receive more interviews or should I be content with just one?
Goro,

I have 60 hours of shadowing, but it's all from 2001. I have had a devil of a time finding someone who can work with me to shadow... I'm a nontrad and a teacher and I work full time. Every Sunday, I volunteer for a hospice and every Thursday, for a hospital but because I'm not available for office hours and not a student, no one that I've asked has consented to letting me shadow them. Will that keep me from acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Would this be a valid method to rack up volunteer hours?:

So now that the AMCAS asks for total hours volunteered instead of hours/week could we volunteer say 80hrs/week for one week during the summer and volunteer 4 hours/week for the rest of the summer and then volunteer half an hour every other week during the school year?

The reason I ask is because I have not been able to find a hospital volunteering position during school (too many premeds competing for volunteer positions - absurd isn't it) so I have done 150 hrs this past summer and I will do some more over winter break. At the same time I have done 100 hrs of hospice volunteering over the summer, but now due to lack of transportation I'm only able to visit one nursing home close to my school every other week, and only for half an hour because there is only one hospice patient at the nursing home. Would Adcoms find this acceptable? Would they be able to find out if I weren't asked the specific hours/week I volunteered?

For a letter of rec from a non-science professor, can it be from a Spanish/foreign language professor? Or is that looked down upon? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
For a letter of rec from a non-science professor, can it be from a Spanish/foreign language professor? Or is that looked down upon? Thank you!

That's what mine was.
Edit: Oops, I thought this was a school-specific thread. It would probably depend on the school.

So help me, if you retake that perfectly fine score, I'll reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head!

I just got my MCAT score back recently and its a 32 (10,11,11). I feel i have the potential for a 34/35 but I don't know if its worth it. I suppose the 11 on verbal is somewhat higher than average if that counts for anything for some schools. I currently have a 3.59cGPA and ~3.55sGPA going into my third year and will raise it to 3.7+ by the time i graduate. I really want to get into a slightly higher end mid tier school like Dartmouth or UCSD but I don't know if a retake to a 34 will help me enough to warrant a another study session. Thanks!

That's perfectly fine.

Hmmmm...one on hand, that's 13 years ago; on the other hand, being a non-trad, you might get cut some slack. Have you tried your personal physician? I think it's important that you try and make time to shadow someone during the day, now. If there's a local ER, then perhaps t=some of the docs there might be amenable?

I have 60 hours of shadowing, but it's all from 2001. I have had a devil of a time finding someone who can work with me to shadow... I'm a nontrad and a teacher and I work full time. Every Sunday, I volunteer for a hospice and every Thursday, for a hospital but because I'm not available for office hours and not a student, no one that I've asked has consented to letting me shadow them. Will that keep me from acceptance?

If they're just asking for total hors, with no means of explaining, then I'd say hours are hours. I have no idea if interviewers would be OK with a solid bolus, as opposed to something steady and dependable.

So now that the AMCAS asks for total hours volunteered instead of hours/week could we volunteer say 80hrs/week for one week during the summer and volunteer 4 hours/week for the rest of the summer and then volunteer half an hour every other week during the school year?

Reactions: 1 users
To what degree is an applicant with no research experience at a disadvantage in the application process, assuming he or she will be avoiding top tier/research heavy schools and has a large amount of clinical experience?

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard of the question being asked of how are you supporting yourself (applicant is in a gap year), and am not sure how to respond appropriately. I'm very fortunate to have a significant amount in a trust fund, so I'm continuing my research from undergrad as a volunteer, other volunteering, and taking classes.

I'm concerned about being perceived as immature or poorly by ADCOMS since every other person seems to have a job. I feel lucky I don't really need to worry about bringing in money and I don't want to disclose that I have a trust fund.

Should I just say I depend on my parents? Money off of investments?

How should I respond?

I've heard of the question being asked of how are you supporting yourself (applicant is in a gap year), and am not sure how to respond appropriately. I'm very fortunate to have a significant amount in a trust fund, so I'm continuing my research from undergrad as a volunteer, other volunteering, and taking classes.

I'm concerned about being perceived as immature or poorly by ADCOMS since every other person seems to have a job. I feel lucky I don't really need to worry about bringing in money and I don't want to disclose that I have a trust fund.

How should I respond?

you are overthinking this. If your researching / volunteering and doing all these other ECs they won't fault you for not having a job. Tons of us depend on our parents but... im hella jealous that you have a trust fund :)

I am going to orientation soon to be a hospice volunteer. I think I will be with different patients but I can also volunteer in leadership and support roles alongside that. If I volunteer with patients there will that cover my clinical volunteering hours? I'm still looking for a hospital gig but those are really hard to fit in my schedule.

I am also an enrolled member of the Chickasaw Nation. When I apply do I have to show my cdib or citizenship card? I plan to check NA and white on my app. Just wondering how that works. I plan to apply to work with the IHS but I don't want to look like I'm gaming the system or anything.
Hospice is one of the richest experiences I've ever had. I've both cried like a baby and laughed so hard I cried. Some of my patients I've gotten really close to and have become like my grandparents, but it does hurt when they pass. This does count as clinical volunteering, fyi.

Well, if you look at "% of acceptees who have done research" on MSAR, it's a huge number at every MD school, at least 90% of the ones I looked at. So, I would recommend that you get some. Non-trad students probably get cut some slack on this regard, though

To what degree is an applicant with no research experience at a disadvantage in the application process, assuming he or she will be avoiding top tier/research heavy schools and has a large amount of clinical experience?

Just tell the truth. Of course, the school's advancement people might start pestering your relatives for a donation!
How should I respond?

Yes, especially if you apply broadly. Skip the NY and CA Touros, CCOM and AZCOM. The infractions were long enough ago as to be non-issues.
I recently got my MCAT scores back and my breakdown is: 7PS 10VR 9BS. I am a non-trad with a 3.36cGPA and a 4.0 sGPA. I failed out of college 14 years ago and have maintained a 4.0 GPA since returning to school in 2011. I also have some IAs on my record. (2000-DUI, 2005-reckless driving) Do I have a shot with DO schools given my past?

I have very high opinions of people who work in hospice!
I am going to orientation soon to be a hospice volunteer. I think I will be with different patients but I can also volunteer in leadership and support roles alongside that. If I volunteer with patients there will that cover my clinical volunteering hours? I'm still looking for a hospital gig but those are really hard to fit in my schedule.

No, you don't have to show proof of ethnicity, but demonstrated service on behalf of native Americans will go a long way than merely saying "I'm a URM."
I am also an enrolled member of the Chickasaw Nation. When I apply do I have to show my cdib or citizenship card? I plan to check NA and white on my app. Just wondering how that works. I plan to apply to work with the IHS but I don't want to look like I'm gaming the system or anything.

Do you think that, overall, DO schools analyze applications differently than MD schools? Do you think you (Goro) analyze applications like the average DO school or the average MD school?

Thanks!

DO schools will look for evidence that applicants have done their homework in finding out what DOs are, and can compare how DOs do their job vs MDs.

Other than that, I, like gyngyn or LizzyM and other Adcom members here, look for people who will make good doctors, and be able to handle a medical school curriculum.

Do you think that, overall, DO schools analyze applications differently than MD schools? Do you think you (Goro) analyze applications like the average DO school or the average MD school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply Goro. It is much appreciated.

So, I take it that research is very important. The problem is that I work as an EMT all summer because I need the money and I also volunteer on a search and rescue team. I'm wondering if I should quite my job and try to get a research position instead now? I plan on being an EM Dr. Thanks!

So, I take it that research is very important. The problem is that I work as an EMT all summer because I need the money and I also volunteer on a search and rescue team. I'm wondering if I should quite my job and try to get a research position instead now? I plan on being an EM Dr. Thanks!
If you're not applying to research heavy top tier schools, don't quit an EMT gig for research just because.

I know that medical schools are open to all majors. However, for those with undergraduate degrees in something like business, does that ever so slightly make you (ever so slightly) question their commitment to medicine? In other words, do you think people with degrees in business should put a special emphasis in essays/interviews on explaining their interest in that major and how that relates to medicine?

I know that medical schools are open to all majors. However, for those with undergraduate degrees in something like business, does that ever so slightly make you (ever so slightly) question their commitment to medicine? In other words, do you think people with degrees in business should put a special emphasis in essays/interviews on explaining their interest in that major and how that relates to medicine?
No evidence any of that is necessary. General description of why medicine suffices. Unless you have a good story to tell about your academic path.

Is it true that there's only about 15% of interview spots left around this time? What does that mean for people who are still waiting around for schools to respond to them, who submitted their apps earlier on?

Does the secondary application factor into the decision to invite an applicant for an interview or is it only used after the interview?

At the end of one of my interviews the interviewer asked me something to the effect of "where does our school rank on your list of schools you've applied to?" I was a little surprised by that question and said something like, " This school is one of my top choices, if accepted I see myself going here. The only other schools that are similarly appealing are ones closer to my family." Did I shoot myself in the foot with that second sentence considering that the school in question is VERY far from my hometown?

It might be an issue. We always wonder why someone with no support group would apply to my school (somewhere west of the Missouri River) when the live in MA or FL. My advice is forget about this. like last week's exams, and move onto the next interview.

Did I shoot myself in the foot with that second sentence considering that the school in question is VERY far from my hometown?

If you have to ask....
Does the secondary application factor into the decision to invite an applicant for an interview or is it only used after the interview?

For MD schools, that's what's I'm hearing from my Adcom colleagues there. I still say: "patience is a virtue."
Is it true that there's only about 15% of interview spots left around this time? What does that mean for people who are still waiting around for schools to respond to them, who submitted their apps earlier on?

It's SDN so I have to ask, are you part of an adcom/have any evidence to back this?
Actually, you can find that out if you do research on the schools using their admissions websites or MSAR. Some schools tell you outright that they don't look at aspects of your secondary until post-II, others leave it more mysterious. To be fair, most schools that I know of/applied to (thus have done most of my research on) review your entire application very carefully before the II, but there are surely exceptions.

Anyways, you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll go back to your secondary post-interview, regardless of whether they read it all the first time or not.

It's SDN so I have to ask, are you part of an adcom/have any evidence to back this?
You got me; I am an adcom at Harvard.

C'mon, man, this is not hard. Anything that gets down to the nitty gritty details of admissions committees is going to vary by school. It's going to vary by school, and vary by even people within schools. Common knowledge on SDN (yes, there is such a thing; not everything needs to come from adcoms to be knowledge) says that everything is looked at pre-II (though not as closely), and everything is really scrutinized post-interview, assuming everything went well. But common knowledge isn't what your asking for, and nor a single admissions officer's perspective from one single school.

How does pursuing and maintaining certification for an Allied Health profession look to AdComs? Does "getting letters after your name" look better than doing non-certified work? What (in the eyes of and AdCom) does certification prove?

Assuming a significant amount of hours have been put into it, what would "pop-out" about this kind of EC? For example, in my field, I am certified and have achieved a technologist rank. I plan to emphasize:

1) autonomy (within my scope of practice)
2) leadership among others at or bellow my rank in the workplace
3) responsibility, in terms of what work I take off a surgeons hands

Any comments would be appreciated. They will definiatly help me write a better personal statement.

Firstly, thank you Hushcom and Goro for all the help! Reading through all 29 pages of this thread was incredibly informative and helpful.

My questions:
1. I plan on applying to low-tier and mid-tier schools (I have a 3.4 GPA and 33 MCAT). The only huge thing missing from my application is research. Do you think this will be an issue? From what I've heard, research seems to be important mainly for top schools, yet the majority of applicants seem to have research experience to add to their app. I do have experience in clinical research as a research coordinator, but I'm not actually doing my own research, so I'm not sure how this will be viewed.

2. Do you think working as a clinical research coordinator at a smaller, private company is at all less favorable than working for a well-known university or medical center? I'm still getting a great experience working with patients from all backgrounds.

Thanks!

Last edited:
For me, any kind of patient contact experience is good. But for someone merely doing urinalysis, well, probably you need more than that.

How does pursuing and maintaining certification for an Allied Health profession look to AdComs? Does "getting letters after your name" look better than doing non-certified work? What (in the eyes of and AdCom) does certification prove?

Well, I'm grateful to Hushcom for letting me poach his/her thread.
Firstly, thank you Hushcom an Goro for all the help! Reading through all 29 pages of this thread was incredibly informative and helpful.

I think it will be more of an issue for the mid-tier schools.
1. I plan on applying to low-tier and mid-tier schools (I have a 3.4 GPA and 33 MCAT). The only huge thing missing from my application isresearch. Do you think this will be an issue? From what I've heard, research seems to be important mainly for top schools, yet the majority of applicants seem to have research experience to add to their app. I do have experience in clinical research as a research coordinator, but I'm not actually doing my own research, so I'm not sure how this will be viewed.

Will you actually be doing data analysis? Do you expect to get your name on a paper? Will you be doing any writing up of the data? Plan on a poster, or presenting at any sort of meeting? If so, this will look good. But if you're enrolling patients, or taking blood and urine samples, or watching over subjects while the metabolize a drug for a 24 hr period, then that's less research and more patient contact experience. Before I met the wonderful gal who became my wife, I dated a lady who did the latter. It was essentially a baby-sitting job...although one that paid really, really well!
2. Do you think working as a clinical research coordinator at a smaller, private company is at all less favorable than working for a well-known university or medical center? I'm still getting a great experience working with patients from all backgrounds.

Will you actually be doing data analysis? Do you expect to get your name on a paper? Will you be doing any writing up of the data? Plan on a poster, or presenting at any sort of meeting? If so, this will look good. But if you're enrolling patients, or taking blood and urine samples, or watching over subjects while the metabolize a drug for a 24 hr period, then that's less research and more patient contact experience. Before I met the wonderful gal who became my wife, I dated a lady who did the latter. It was essentially a baby-sitting job...although one that paid really, really well!

Unfortunately, no data analysis, no name on a paper, etc. I'm doing mainly the latter of your descriptions: pre-screening patients, enrolling patients, coordinating visits, monitoring for adverse events, data entry, etc. I absolutely enjoy the job, despite the tediousness of the work sometimes, because I have connected with so many patients in need of help. (Unfortunately my job pays very poorly because it is a small company.)

Because I already have a lot of clinical exposure and experience with patients, would you recommend that I get some research experience? I am applying next cycle, so I have a year to improve my application. I don't want my lack of research experience to be the reason I don't get into a US MD school.

At the same time, I don't know if it would look bad that I quit my clinical research job after 2 years to pursue research in which I actually do data analysis (lack of commitment?)

Thanks Goro!!

Last edited:
I suggest that you stick with what you're doing.

Unfortunately, no data analysis, no name on a paper, etc. I'm doing mainly the latter of your descriptions: pre-screening patients, enrolling patients, coordinating visits, monitoring for adverse events, data entry, etc. I absolutely enjoy the job, despite the tediousness of the work sometimes, because I have connected with so many patients in need of help. (Unfortunately my job pays very poorly because it is a small company.)

Because I already have a lot of clinical exposure and experience with patients, would you recommend that I get some research experience? I am applying next cycle, so I have a year to improve my application. I don't want my lack of research experience to be the reason I don't get into a US MD school.

At the same time, I don't know if it would look bad that I quit my clinical research job after 2 years to pursue research in which I actually do data analysis (lack of commitment?)

Thanks Goro!!

Thank you for doing this ! I have been complete at most schools by August and I have heard from a few of them but I am wondering what the rest of the silence means. Can I hope for interviews in the future from these schools or should I just expect rejections ? Do schools come back to applications? If so, how do they decide which ones to come back to since the school receives so many applications?
Thank you again!!

Thank you for doing this ! I have been complete at most schools by August and I have heard from a few of them but I am wondering what the rest of the silence means. Can I hope for interviews in the future from these schools or should I just expect rejections ? Do schools come back to applications? If so, how do they decide which ones to come back to since the school receives so many applications?
Thank you again!!
The rest of the silence means you should just have patience and busy yourself with other things that are not application related.

Goro, I have a question about athletics on an application. My application is painfully "standard". I have a 3.7 GPA, about 75 hours of volunteer work in a hospital, 20-30 hours of shadowing, part time job in retail during school and breaks, some research with no publications, basically all cookie cutter ECs.

But to make my application a bit different, would it be wise to mention Amateur Boxing as an EC? I don't have an extensive amateur background, just a few fights. Or will this be frowned upon? I figured it could either gain an adcom's interest, or backfire and make them think that I am not fit to be a doctor.

Also, can I discuss wanting to be a ringside physician in the future? (That is the doctor that examines fighters between rounds for cuts/broken bones/concussions) It's a legitimate interest of mine to be responsible for the health of fighters.

Thank you very much for any input you can provide!

So help me, if you retake that perfectly fine score, I'll reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head!

That's perfectly fine.

Hmmmm...one on hand, that's 13 years ago; on the other hand, being a non-trad, you might get cut some slack. Have you tried your personal physician? I think it's important that you try and make time to shadow someone during the day, now. If there's a local ER, then perhaps t=some of the docs there might be amenable?

If they're just asking for total hors, with no means of explaining, then I'd say hours are hours. I have no idea if interviewers would be OK with a solid bolus, as opposed to something steady and dependable.

Goro,

I finally found a physician who would allow me to shadow him during my Christmas vacation. I'm wondering exactly how many more hours I need, since I already have 40 (I rechecked my app - thought it was 60, but it was really 40) from 13 years ago. Would about 20 be enough?

Thanks!

I think that should suffice.

I finally found a physician who would allow me to shadow him during my Christmas vacation. I'm wondering exactly how many more hours I need, since I already have 40 (I rechecked my app - thought it was 60, but it was really 40) from 13 years ago. Would about 20 be enough?

The boxing is definitely novel. It's a brutal sport, but I wouldn't hold it against you. You might one day prove useful with outing out psychotic patients. But This will not save an anemic app with the relatively low numbers of volunteer ECs. I strongly recommend more clinical and service ECs.

Goro, I have a question about athletics on an application. My application is painfully "standard". I have a 3.7 GPA, about 75 hours of volunteer work in a hospital, 20-30 hours of shadowing, part time job in retail during school and breaks, some research with no publications, basically all cookie cutter ECs.
But to make my application a bit different, would it be wise to mention Amateur Boxing as an EC? I don't have an extensive amateur background, just a few fights. Or will this be frowned upon? I figured it could either gain an adcom's interest, or backfire and make them think that I am not fit to be a doctor.

Quite specific a profession. Certainly unique and OK in my book, but add some other specialties in the mix besides Sports Medicine!
Also, can I discuss wanting to be a ringside physician in the future? (That is the doctor that examines fighters between rounds for cuts/broken bones/concussions) It's a legitimate interest of mine to be responsible for the health of fighters.

How do you differentiate between authorship on publications? Are first authors THAT much better than 2nd and 3rd authors?

It's implied that first authors made the most intellectual contribution to the project and/or drafted the majority of the manuscript. Depending on how the division of labor went, 2nd author could have made significant contributions as well...but then it sort of falls off after that (i.e. people who did data collection/entry/minor editing/etc.).

At least that's how it goes down in the lab I work at.

Huh. Interesting.

I got a third author recently and I did all the analysis and methods/results stuff for the manuscript.

I have a couple of 2nd authors where I did everything from data collection to all the analysis/methods/results.

I do clinical stuff, so I end up second author because it's easier for me to do the planning/stats/etc than to write the intro and discussion. It's super hard for me stay abreast of decades of literature in a sub specialty where I haven't even started med school. It's just easier to get things done and done faster if I shoot for 2nd or 3rd authors and let the residents or fellows drive.

Oh yeah I guess the caveat of all that I said was that if you're an undergraduate then their could also be "politics" involved...for example, if you work under a resident or post-doc or something, they have the (unfair) power to sometimes dictate who gets what authorship regardless of contribution. It kind of blows but that's the real world.

Also, being on a publication published in a peer review journal as an undergraduate is a great accomplishment regardless. Congrats!

This is the consensus in Science (the profession, not the journal). A 2nd author still has some cache', but for 3rd author or more, you're a "collaborator".

Still, any publication is good.

It's implied that first authors made the most intellectual contribution to the project and/or drafted the majority of the manuscript. Depending on how the division of labor went, 2nd author could have made significant contributions as well...but then it sort of falls off after that (i.e. people who did data collection/entry/minor editing/etc.).

At least that's how it goes down in the lab I work at.

Reactions: 2 users
Will you actually be doing data analysis? Do you expect to get your name on a paper? Will you be doing any writing up of the data? Plan on a poster, or presenting at any sort of meeting?

Hi goro,

My research work thus far hasn't included any pubs, presentations, etc., and doesn't look like there could be any pub. by the time I'm looking to finish with my research work. I have just been presented with the opportunity to create and present a poster. Should I jump on it?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Do you guys consider peer mentoring to be non-clinical volunteering? I have about 60-80 hours of unpaid tutoring work helping new or struggling students pass their requirements.

YES!!!

My research work thus far hasn't included any pubs, presentations, etc., and doesn't look like there could be any pub. by the time I'm looking to finish with my research work. I have just been presented with the opportunity to create and present a poster. Should I jump on it?

Yes.
Do you guys consider peer mentoring to be non-clinical volunteering? I have about 60-80 hours of unpaid tutoring work helping new or struggling students pass their requirements.

Thank you for answering our questions!
I'm currently unable to work or volunteer outside of school full-time, because I share my car with my mother (2 weeks with it, 2 weeks without it)
I participate in other volunteer efforts through miscellaneous service clubs, but nothing I attend weekly or more frequently.
in an attempt to be productive until I can have my own mode of transportation, I've developed a program with my local Women's hospital where I donate hand-made crocheted baby blankets to their NICU. I'm hoping that through this interaction, I may establish a rapport with the volunteer staff and be able to volunteer there once I can nab a permanent mode of transportation.
Is this a good EC/volunteer effort to participate in until I get a car full-time? I enjoy making these blankets, and I hope I may use this on my app so adcoms don't think I wasted my freshman year doing nothing.

Thanks again and I hope to hear from you soon!

This is the consensus in Science (the profession, not the journal). A 2nd author still has some cache', but for 3rd author or more, you're a "collaborator".

Still, any publication is good.

Well, that's kind of a bummer. I do most of the research for the pubs I'm on (and I did all the stats for the 3rd author). The papers are usually fellow projects, so the fellows are first followed by the research coordinator that did the most work on the project, i.e. me. I have two papers that are being submitted that were like that.

The majority of projects I'm involved in go like this:

-PI suggests project idea.
-I dig to see if research is feasible and do a lit review
-Talk to PI/fellow/residents about what they want to do if feasible.
-Handle all IRB correspondence: Fill out protocols, submissions, data collection sheets, etc.
-Do all data collection myself or with another research coordinator. Fellows will assist with reviewing some clinical data/MRI/X-ray/CT findings as I can't really say anything over "Oh, that doesn't look right!". Lol.
-Run analyses, share with collaborators.
-Write methods and results, ask first author to write intro discussion.
-Get second author on submission.

Thank you for answering our questions!
I'm currently unable to work or volunteer outside of school full-time, because I share my car with my mother (2 weeks with it, 2 weeks without it)
I participate in other volunteer efforts through miscellaneous service clubs, but nothing I attend weekly or more frequently.
in an attempt to be productive until I can have my own mode of transportation, I've developed a program with my local Women's hospital where I donate hand-made crocheted baby blankets to their NICU. I'm hoping that through this interaction, I may establish a rapport with the volunteer staff and be able to volunteer there once I can nab a permanent mode of transportation.
Is this a good EC/volunteer effort to participate in until I get a car full-time? I enjoy making these blankets, and I hope I may use this on my app so adcoms don't think I wasted my freshman year doing nothing.

Thanks again and I hope to hear from you soon!
From a random pre-med perspective: I think crocheting blankets for the NICU is a brilliant idea; it shows you can be more creative than just volunteering at a front desk of a hospital.. I think its awesome. Realistically, you have to do what you have to until a car becomes available. I want to research, but I will not have the opportunity until I transfer to a four year university from CC. Until then I'm stacking up on the rest of my stats..
PS The next three years will give you ample time to rack up volunteer hours. Sometimes I work 12 hour shifts at the hospital when I'm on break from school. You can rack up those hours quickly.

From a random pre-med perspective: I think crocheting blankets for the NICU is a brilliant idea; it shows you can be more creative than just volunteering at a front desk of a hospital.. I think its awesome.

Okay great! Also, my university developed a program this year that randomly chose 1/3 of the intro bio labs, and put us in a research curriculum instead of the traditional lab, where we are required to separate into groups, analyze yeast transformation and gene expression for a particular gene (different for each group), and make a poster.
Can I count this as research, even though I didn't choose to be involved in it?

Okay great! Also, my university developed a program this year that randomly chose 1/3 of the intro bio labs, and put us in a research curriculum instead of the traditional lab, where we are required to separate into groups, analyze yeast transformation and gene expression for a particular gene (different for each group), and make a poster.
Can I count this as research, even though I didn't choose to be involved in it?

Depends on whether the stuff has been done before or not. If it's to teach you about research, no, if the Prof/PI is using you guys to do his/her experiments, then potentially.