Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how about a LOR specifically for that school?

I hope you can appreciate that it is difficult to speculate since I do not know you, the letter writer, or the school in question. However, if you are hoping that the alumni connection will drop a golden ticket in your lap, I'm afraid it is unlikely to do so. While it probably cannot hurt, you are still going to have to rely primarily on the strength of your own deeds.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Give us some credit please; we're smart enough to figure out what a course is. Just the other day some fool thought that we'd confuse Metaphysics with Physics!

Would taking the VBS Microbiology and ANSC Human & Animal Physiology be frowned upon, since neither has the BIOL heading? I don't want adcoms to think I am interested in being a vet because of these two courses. Thanks for your advice!

It would help, and I have seen plenty of LORs that said "Joe/Jane was my student and received an an A". Usually, it's in the top five 5% or they'll note how few students in the class make an A, so it lends some polish to it.

Does one need to procure an A in a class with the LOR writer? Do the LOR writers ever say what the grade was?

@Goro so it would be alright to go ahead with the ANSC Human and Animal Phys class and the VBS Micro, then? My concern was with both courses having animal science/veterinary and biomedical science headings, seeming like I may be more interested in vet science than medicine!

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be OK.

@Goro so it would be alright to go ahead with the ANSC Human and Animal Phys class and the VBS Micro, then? My concern was with both courses having animal science/veterinary and biomedical science headings, seeming like I may be more interested in vet science than medicine!

Your concern is understandable. When I go through the elementary school records of our applicants I often find evidence interest in other fields, such a firefighting and aeronautics, as early as the first grade.

Straight to the circular file.

Reactions: 8 users
What's the general opinion of writing additional essays to a school? Like if the secondaries don't give you an opportunity to say something you really want to get across to the school.

Your concern is understandable. When I go through the elementary school records of our applicants I often find evidence interest in other fields, such a firefighting and aeronautics, as early as the first grade.

Straight to the circular file.

Lol @hushcom I'll take your (assumed) sarcasm as a sign that I'm being a "crazy pre-Med" on this issue. Thank you!

That you're a special snowflake who can't follow simple instructions, like filling out an app form.

One of the competencies that medical students MUST have, and we expect that applicants have at a basal level, is the ability to communicate.

If you need an extra essay to say what you need to say, you lack that competency.

What's the general opinion of writing additional essays to a school? Like if the secondaries don't give you an opportunity to say something you really want to get across to the school.

Reactions: 2 users

Just get "High Maintenance" tattooed on your forehead and send the schools a selfie, instead.

Reactions: 5 users
I have one for you guys that I've been told might really get some people's panties in a bunch; emergency "field medicine".

Google "wilderness medicine."

scrublyfe21 said:
Because I tend to participate in quite a few outdoor activities including fishing, hunting, boating, jet-skiing, etc during the summer months and a lot of these activities tend to occur in the deep north-woods, they obviously incur a certain amount of risk. While I am not formally trained in any sort of medical certification, whenever an accident occurs my family/ friends/ myself tend to take care of any mishaps ourselves short of a broken bone puncturing the skin. Some of the more recent events include removal of multiple musky-hooks (not contaminated by fish, always a fresh hook) out of hands, removal of a dozen .5-2cm splinters out of a foot, and even a reduction of a dislocated pinky toe. Is this something that I can talk about in regards to using things I have learned during my time working with emergency physicians, or something that admissions committees would look at me and say this guy is totally irresponsible? It's not like we do these things just for the hell of it with a hospital nearby, they always happen when we are 1-2hrs from the nearest hospital, and we always make sure to get things checked out by our primary or an ER after we return. Consider it a little bit of red-neck innovation.

I don't consider first aid to be irresponsible, but I also don't consider it to be inherently interesting unless you have saved someone from something particularly harrowing.

Sooooo it wouldn't be frowned upon if I talked about my experiences doing these things and their effect on why I am going into medicine? Especially the relevance to what I have been doing working in the ER over the past year (learning what to look for, indications for certain conditions, technique, etc.)? I only mentioned it in the first place because I have found that some people get angry, and there seems to be some controversy, on "unlicensed" civilians doing things like this, even in a remote setting like those i described.

It's fine to talk about these experiences as part of your motivation, but overall it sounds like Boy Scout Manual stuff that isn't particularly compelling. You can mention it without going into great detail. The world has gotten rather uptight, but unless you are performing gratuitous surgery there isn't much to be concerned about.

@hushcom what is your opinion on how schools and adcoms are going to interpret the 2015 Mcat for this cycle?? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

@hushcom what is your opinion on how schools and adcoms are going to interpret the 2015 Mcat for this cycle?? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I am not entirely sure, but I think we will be looking at percentiles until the new scoring system becomes intuitive. I get the sense that the AAMC would love to implement a system where the middle 80% of takers get the same score.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I may chime in, it will be a few cycles before we get comfortable with the new test and we fix upon something that's analogous to the 10/10/10 = 30 benchmark of success or competitiveness of the old MCAT.

Agree with hushcom 100% on percentiles.

@hushcom for this cycle specifically...do you think more or less emphasis will be placed on our percentile scores as a large factor for admission?

@hushcom do you think old mcat score will overshadow mcat 2015 score if you took both since mcat 2015 is mysterious?

@hushcom do you think old mcat score will overshadow mcat 2015 score if you took both since mcat 2015 is mysterious?

No. In a nutshell, while tweaking has occurred, the old BS is now bio/biochem, the old PS is now chem/phys, and the old VR is now critical analysis. The behavior section is the wild card, and making sense of it will take some time.

Okay I know I'm just being greedy now, but I really appreciate you taking the time to answer questions...

Does graduating with a degree from a student's respective University Honors Program look much/any better than graduating with a standard degree?

Last edited:
I have a question about discussing personal adversities in my personal statement (or other areas of my application).

Without going into too much detail, my single parent was ill while I was growing up and passed away before I graduated high school, leaving me with no financial support or insurance to carry myself. His illness did spark an interest in medicine, but having to work my butt off to get through college without any money, health insurance or familial support was what really drew me into a career of practicing medicine, specifically in under-resourced areas.

I would like to include this in my statement (or at least in some part of my application) but I'm worried about it sounding like I'm playing the victim card or using the typical "my family member fell ill so I want to be a doctor" formula. Is there an appropriate way to discuss my background without it sounding too victimized or formulaic?

Thank you so much for answering all of our questions. You have been so helpful!

2 Questions.

1. Can you put shadowing experience down if the physician is a 1st degree relative? For example, watching pre-surgery patient encounters + actual surgeries.

2. I am a bit unsure if I should label a certain activity as "research". have been volunteering in a research lab for just over a year now. BUT, this is mainly as a data tester (data collection for baseline scores and other time interventions), as well as involvement in data analysis. Despite not being involved with the paper writing process, will this be considered a research activity?

Thanks.

Okay I know I'm just being greedy now, but I really appreciate you taking the time to answer questions...

Does graduating with a degree from a student's respective University Honors Program look much/any better than graduating with a standard degree?

It does look better. Not exactly clutching-our-seats better, but it's a nice feather in one's cap. Not all honors programs are created equal, so its value can be somewhat limited.

Last edited:
I have a question about discussing personal adversities in my personal statement (or other areas of my application).

Without going into too much detail, my single parent was ill while I was growing up and passed away before I graduated high school, leaving me with no financial support or insurance to carry myself. His illness did spark an interest in medicine, but having to work my butt off to get through college without any money, health insurance or familial support was what really drew me into a career of practicing medicine, specifically in under-resourced areas.

I would like to include this in my statement (or at least in some part of my application) but I'm worried about it sounding like I'm playing the victim card or using the typical "my family member fell ill so I want to be a doctor" formula. Is there an appropriate way to discuss my background without it sounding too victimized or formulaic?

Thank you so much for answering all of our questions. You have been so helpful!

If you do not what to sound victimized, then do not focus on what you could have (hypothetically) achieved if your life had been easier.

The phenomenon of interest in medicine secondary to a sick relative is at play here, but in most other instances that sick relative 1.) was not the sole caretaker of the applicant, and 2.) did not die. It is safe to say that you have probably seen more hardship than a large majority of the people I interview. I would not obsess over how formulaic it may sound, we are not looking for every good PS to be something we have never seen before. This is your story, these are things that happened to you, and you have responded, all you have to do is lay that out there. As Joe Friday used say, "Just the facts (ma'am)."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
2 Questions.

1. Can you put shadowing experience down if the physician is a 1st degree relative? For example, watching pre-surgery patient encounters + actual surgeries.

2. I am a bit unsure if I should label a certain activity as "research". have been volunteering in a research lab for just over a year now. BUT, this is mainly as a data tester (data collection for baseline scores and other time interventions), as well as involvement in data analysis. Despite not being involved with the paper writing process, will this be considered a research activity?

Thanks.

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

It has been a year since I last posted in this thread, so hello again hushcom! Thank you again for your help. My apologies for the boring questions.

I've just finished sophomore year, and I have two subpar grades under my belt. A D+ and a C-. The D+ is in gen chem 1, and I retook for a B+; I discussed this in a post I made last year. The C- is in a 1 credit anatomy elective that probably isn't prudent to retake unless I absolutely need an extra credit/have nothing better to do.

1. How much will just these two grades affect my application?
2. How much can a trend in the latter two years of a degree compensate for average* performance during the first two years and/or offset those two bad grades? My last two years are exclusively upper level biology/chemistry/statistics courses.

*I've got a solid mix of B/B+ grades in with the A/A-'s. Unfortunately, many of the B's are recent.

What constitutes as research? Strictly lab-based application? Or can you include research done for thesis-based projects, etc?

me and my twin are applying this cycle. we have similar stats as well as EC's. it would be ideal for us to go to the same medical school since it will be easier for us and our family. is there any way to mention this on our applications when we apply? is it worth mentioning?

if my twin were to get interviewed somewhere and i werent, would it be worth writing a letter to the school or calling and letting them know of our situation in hopes of me getting an interview as well?

also, how common are twin/sibling applications?

Last edited:
How would you view two MCAT scores that have a seven point margin of improvement between them? (Given that the lower, older score is a 30+) Would it still be averaged? Or would
more weight be given to the improved score?

I'm a Canadian student who has their green card for the US. I assume I am considered to be a permanent resident for the US regardless if I am a Canadian citizen or not?

Also, I just finished my first year and my GPA is 3.3...I have little volunteering experience (150 hours in a hospital) or work experience (Mcds Manager) so I'm not sure how to get started on these research opportunies/shadowing doctors that people do in the US. Any tips on getting started 2nd year?

Hi @hushcom ,

Thanks for taking the time to host this thread. I have a question regarding percentiles for the 2015 MCAT. I know that percentiles are everything for this test, but my question is what you would consider to be "good enough" based on the fact that there aren't many cohorts of test takers available yet. I just took the exam today and will find out my preliminary percentile range in 3 weeks. I am trying to decide what the "retake threshold" is so that I can be prepared to make a decision when I receive my percentile range (i.e. 70th-80th percentile, 80th-90th percentile, 90th-100th percentile, etc.).

MCAT aside, my application is strong -- 3.96 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, top 10 school, solid ECs and leadership, research, & Fulbright research grant for next year. I'm applying to MD/PhD programs.

I am thinking that 80th percentile plus would be OK, but is this too low in your opinion? It's hard to know, and I want to have a number in my head to base my decision off of when the time comes.

Hi @hushcom ! Thank you so much for doing this. Just have a quick short question
I'm a rising junior at the moment. If my ECs, volunteering, shadowing and research are all strong (and MCAT is my only variable) should I apply in my expected cycle if my GPA will be about ~3.6/~3.3? Or should I wait until after senior year, take an additional semester of sciences aka finish out 4 years(I'm supposed to graduate a semester early) and apply with a ~3.7/~3.5? Is it worth the gap year for the extra GPA boost?

It has been a year since I last posted in this thread, so hello again hushcom! Thank you again for your help. My apologies for the boring questions.

I've just finished sophomore year, and I have two subpar grades under my belt. A D+ and a C-. The D+ is in gen chem 1, and I retook for a B+; I discussed this in a post I made last year. The C- is in a 1 credit anatomy elective that probably isn't prudent to retake unless I absolutely need an extra credit/have nothing better to do.

1. How much will just these two grades affect my application?
2. How much can a trend in the latter two years of a degree compensate for average* performance during the first two years and/or offset those two bad grades? My last two years are exclusively upper level biology/chemistry/statistics courses.

*I've got a solid mix of B/B+ grades in with the A/A-'s. Unfortunately, many of the B's are recent.

The question is not how much will two subpar grades hurt your application, the question is how many A's you can pull from here forward. A couple of bad grades can be written off as early collegiate adjustment if subsequent performance is strong.

What constitutes as research? Strictly lab-based application? Or can you include research done for thesis-based projects, etc?

"The systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions." No lab required.

Hi @hushcom

How do I, as a Canadian applicant, stand out? What is the difference between interview vs. no interview?

me and my twin are applying this cycle. we have similar stats as well as EC's. it would be ideal for us to go to the same medical school since it will be easier for us and our family. is there any way to mention this on our applications when we apply? is it worth mentioning?

if my twin were to get interviewed somewhere and i werent, would it be worth writing a letter to the school or calling and letting them know of our situation in hopes of me getting an interview as well?

also, how common are twin/sibling applications?

I have seen this once. We interviewed both twins but on different days, and the relationship came out during the interviews. We accepted both of them, but that was because they were both great applicants. I would not feel compelled to mention it in AMCAS, as you are ostensibly being judged as an individual, rather than one half of a pair. It would be fine to bring up in an interview setting, in my opinion.

How would you view two MCAT scores that have a seven point margin of improvement between them? (Given that the lower, older score is a 30+) Would it still be averaged? Or would
more weight be given to the improved score?

I usually give more weight to the most recent score, although some people take the test multiple times in a very narrow time frame, which suggests that averaging is more appropriate.

I'm a Canadian student who has their green card for the US. I assume I am considered to be a permanent resident for the US regardless if I am a Canadian citizen or not?

Permanent residency does to mean you relinquish your prior citizenship.

TheGreatAli said:
Also, I just finished my first year and my GPA is 3.3...I have little volunteering experience (150 hours in a hospital) or work experience (Mcds Manager) so I'm not sure how to get started on these research opportunies/shadowing doctors that people do in the US. Any tips on getting started 2nd year?

You should focus on your grades foremost. 150 hours in hospital volunteering is actually quite a bit, especially if you are working. If your institution has a premed committee, they should be able to help you. Shadowing opportunities may be available through word of mouth, if you speak with people in the hospital volunteering program. If you want to get involved in research, approach some faculty who already have students in their labs.

Hi @hushcom ,

Thanks for taking the time to host this thread. I have a question regarding percentiles for the 2015 MCAT. I know that percentiles are everything for this test, but my question is what you would consider to be "good enough" based on the fact that there aren't many cohorts of test takers available yet. I just took the exam today and will find out my preliminary percentile range in 3 weeks. I am trying to decide what the "retake threshold" is so that I can be prepared to make a decision when I receive my percentile range (i.e. 70th-80th percentile, 80th-90th percentile, 90th-100th percentile, etc.).

MCAT aside, my application is strong -- 3.96 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, top 10 school, solid ECs and leadership, research, & Fulbright research grant for next year. I'm applying to MD/PhD programs.

I am thinking that 80th percentile plus would be OK, but is this too low in your opinion? It's hard to know, and I want to have a number in my head to base my decision off of when the time comes.

With the "old" MCAT an 80th percentile composite score would be a 30, a 90th percentile would be a 33, and a 97th would be about a 36. Take that as you wish.

AMCAS question; is it acceptable to group ECs for the sake of saving some of those much-needed activities slots? I know that obviously hobbies are grouped, but is it advisable to group work experiences if they aren't a "most important event" experience just to list them such as you would in a resume, and honor societies/ awards if you don't plan on focusing on their discussion in-depth?

There are 15 slots in the experience section, and the goal is not to use all of them. After the top five I quickly scan the rest and move on. Listing so many that you would need to group them suggests that you are a dabbler and/or padding your application. Neither possibility is very appealing.

Hi @hushcom ! Thank you so much for doing this. Just have a quick short question
I'm a rising junior at the moment. If my ECs, volunteering, shadowing and research are all strong (and MCAT is my only variable) should I apply in my expected cycle if my GPA will be about ~3.6/~3.3? Or should I wait until after senior year, take an additional semester of sciences aka finish out 4 years(I'm supposed to graduate a semester early) and apply with a ~3.7/~3.5? Is it worth the gap year for the extra GPA boost?

I would take the extra time, especially since your MCAT is unknown. Getting into medical school is not a race, and this is a period of rapid maturation. You will likely find that being patient and hitting it once with your best shot will pay dividends.

What are 3 extracurricular activities you've seen that made the whole committee go, "damn, we need this kid!" ? TY @hushcom

Last edited:
Hi there,

Perhaps a neurotic concern that I could use some insight to. In writing my personal statement I have really been building off of my experiences with patients, emphasizing the whole person aspect of treatment (for example, a holistic approach but not arguing for alternative or manipulative medicine by any means). I was told this comes off as implicitly "osteopathic" rather than "allopathic". I do not desire to attend as osteopathic school for a variety of reasons and do not have space in the personal statement to explain why.

Would you question an applicants commitment to allopathic schools based off such a thing?

Thanks

If I may chime in, what really makes me advocate for a candidate are:
Peace Corps
Military Service
Hospice work

What are 3 extracurricular activities you've seen that made the whole committee go, "damn, we need this kid!" ? TY @hushcom

Get new readers. Yours seem to think that MDs do not practice holistic medicine.

Perhaps a neurotic concern that I could use some insight to. In writing my personal statement I have really been building off of my experiences with patients, emphasizing the whole person aspect of treatment (for example, a holistic approach but not arguing for alternative or manipulative medicine by any means). I was told this comes off as implicitly "osteopathic" rather than "allopathic". I do not desire to attend as osteopathic school for a variety of reasons and do not have space in the personal statement to explain why.

Get new readers. Yours seem to think that MDs do not practice holistic medicine.

Of course not! Good to know worrying about it was silly. Sorry! Unfortunately, from elsewhere I've read on the internet, some still think this to be the case. The implication was, "why doesn't this applicant just apply to osteopathic school if he talks about the whole-body approach"

Perhaps my distinction between the two has been tainted.

From the admissions point of view, what really is the difference? I have shadowed an osteopathic surgeon and I do not think they should be separated so starkly from allopathic doctors (and biased against for that matter).

Last edited:
We know that the two professions are pretty much interchangeable, but there are differences, and if you're astute enough, you can spot them.

From the admissions point of view, what really is the difference? I have shadowed an osteopathic surgeon and I do not think they should be separated so starkly from allopathic doctors (and biased against for that matter).

Hi @hushcom !! Thanks again for doing this for such a substantial amount of time. And thanks to @Goro as well!!

Long story short: I've applied twice now as a CA resident with an average MCAT and high GPA. First round got me a UC interview to reject. Second round to two OOS interviews and one waitlist I'm still on. Assuming I don't get in this year and the majority of the other aspects of my application are well-rounded, would a post-bac program at a medical school to earn an MPH or MBS have much of a benefit? Or would it be better for me to take a few years off, continue working in research and slowly prepare to retake the MCAT?

Sorry for the vague details, I simply want to see if post-bacs provide much value if you already have a good GPA. Thanks so much!

Thanks for doing this AMA, @hushcom (and @Goro as well).

I have a question pertaining to GPA and "trends". My undergraduate GPA could probably be considered "low" by most standards (at least on this website), as it's a 3.5. I haven't calculated my overall science GPA yet, but it's likely around a 3.3. The thing is, though, that I have an incredibly strong upward trend. I really had no idea what I was doing during my first few semesters of college - I wasn't out partying or anything, I just didn't know how to study, and didn't know how much time it actually took to do well. I thought I could crack open a book the night before an exam, skim it, and do well (like in high school). It took me a few semesters to figure it out, and it resulted Cs in courses like introductory Biology and introductory (General) Chemistry.

However, around my junior year, I had perfected my study method and had started putting in the time required to do well. My combined GPA from my junior and senior years is a 4.0, and I also have a graduate GPA of a 4.0 as well, with As in courses such as Biochemistry, Organic II, Immunology, Vertebrate Physiology, Neurobiology, Parasitology, Virology, Endocrinology, and many, many more upper level biology courses.

Are those early grades something that most admission committees will look at and just completely dismiss, considering my performance in far more advanced courses?

Another quick question - I'm the sole author on a mini-review that was published in an online journal. The journal certainly isn't on the level of Nature or Science, but my mini-review was accepted and published. Is this something that admissions committee members would look highly on? Or would most of them dismiss it since the journal isn't as well known?

Last edited: