Another CA intern hour questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuckoo879

legal drug dealer
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, seems like there are numerous posts about CA intern affidavit form. I just couldn't find the definitive answer. So if anyone has any experience, please help me.

I'm currently a out-state student at NY. NY state board of pharmacy stopped collecting curriculum hours from schools (APPE +IPPE). Schools usually tell the state board that this student has completed x amount of hours. The only time student are required to fill out a intern hour affidavit form is when they want to take the compounding exam early. (which NYS requires students to work as an intern--ie. not through school rotation.)

Therefore NYS defines intern hours as: hours worked besides rotation (IPPE & APPE) or hours you get paid as an intern
APPE & IPPE = curriculum hours

1. I never worked during my pharmacy school career. The only intern hours I had is through APPE & IPPE rotations. Can someone please define 1500 intern hours per form 17A-29?
a. Does APPE and IPPE rotation hours done with NYS intern license qualify as 1500 intern hours?
b. My school sends out a letter verifying that I've completed 1690 (1440 APPE + 250 IPPE) required curriculum hours. Would the letter sufficient enough instead of the 17A-29 form? (My friend graduated last year said CA doesn't take that letter, is that true?)

2. I've started collecting some affidavit form from my preceptors, and I like to have a few things clarified:
a. One rotation I've done in a hospice, the pharmacy service there does not have a pharmacy registration number. Should the preceptor leave the registration number empty?
b. Would hospice rotation qualify as "pharmacy practice experience substantially related to the practice of Pharmacy"
c. How about a rotation with managed care?

3. What are the time frames in submitting these forms? When should I start?

Members don't see this ad.

One more point I like to add:

My school says preceptors from rotation can't sign this 17A-29 form because she believes Cali is referring to the intern hour affidavit to hours worked as paid intern. (Due to that clear different for NYS intern hours vs. curriculum hours) She said preceptor who signed this are committing a fraud?

One more point I like to add:

My school says preceptors from rotation can't sign this 17A-29 form because she believes Cali is referring to the intern hour affidavit to hours worked as paid intern. (Due to that clear different for NYS intern hours vs. curriculum hours) She said preceptor who signed this are committing a fraud?

She believed it wrongly, sorry. California does not define paid hours or non-paid hours. Any 1 intern hour counts as 1 hour.
I included the form 17A-29 below for reference.

From all people I know, this form accepts Non-Paid Hours and Paid Hours. If anyone has different proof, please share.

(Just to be very sure, Hours here mean Practice Hours, not school Lecture Hours.)

Attachments

• intern_hours_affidavit.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 79
Members don't see this ad :)
So if anyone has any experience, please help me........

Can someone please define 1500 intern hours per form 17A-29?
Any intern hour, paid or non-paid.

a. Does APPE and IPPE rotation hours done with NYS intern license qualify as 1500 intern hours?
Yes. Any intern hour, paid or non-paid.

b. My school sends out a letter verifying that I've completed 1690 (1440 APPE + 250 IPPE) required curriculum hours. Would the letter sufficient enough instead of the 17A-29 form?
Sorry, that letter is not directly helpful in California. Reference: Application to be pharmacist:
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt.pdf

Quote from application:
"B. Intern hours obtained in another state may be submitted to the board on one of the following forms:
Verification of License in Another State form (17A-16). If you hold an intern license in another state this form must be submitted verifying the status of your intern license. If the licensing agency in the state where the intern hours were obtained will transfer your intern hours to California, you may request that licensing agency to certify the number of intern hours on this form. Not all state licensing agencies will transfer intern hours to another state. Please contact the state licensing agency directly to verify if they will transfer your intern hours to California along with verifying your license status in that state.

OR
If the state licensing agency will not transfer your intern hours to California, you are still required to submit proof of your intern hours on the Pharmacy Intern Hours Affidavit form (17A-29) documenting 1,500 hours of pharmacy practice experience as an intern pharmacist. However, you are still required to have the state licensing agency verify the status of your intern license on the Verification of License in Another State form (17A-16)."

My educated guess is that you got most intern hours in New York, so, you need to send form
17A-16
or,
17A-16 + 17-A29

California did not say anything about accepting letter from college of pharmacy.
The letter from college of pharmacy may help New York State filling out form 17-A16 for you, the letter is therefore indirectly helpful.

a. One rotation I've done in a hospice, the pharmacy service there does not have a pharmacy registration number. Should the preceptor leave the registration number empty?

No comment. Please email board of California.

b. Would hospice rotation qualify as "pharmacy practice experience substantially related to the practice of Pharmacy"
My guess is yes, it is pharmacy related.

c. How about a rotation with managed care?
My guess is yes, it is pharmacy related.

3. What are the time frames in submitting these forms? When should I start?[/QUOTE]
I submitted when all were completed, one submission, nothing missing. About 1 month after school done.

Hope the process is smooth for you...If anyone else have helpful comment, please contribute....thanks a bunch :highfive: :highfive:

Attachments

• APPLICATION TO BE PHARMACIST, CALIFORNIA, rph_app_pkt.pdf
    899 KB · Views: 63
Thank you so much, surprisingly the BOP responded to both of my email within hours.

This is what they told me if others have the same question:

"APPE and IPPE rotation hours are acceptable; however, the intern hours that you document and submit to the board must meet the following requirement: a minimum of 1500 intern hours, of which a minimum of 900 intern hours must have been earned while dispensing as an intern in a pharmacy location.

In regards to rotation hours earned in non-pharmacy settings, the board will accept a maximum of 600 hours; however, these hours must be verified by your pharmacy school through either the use of form 17A-29 (the name of the school must be reflected where it says “Name of Pharmacy” and the hours should be reflected on the 2nd line of the affidavit) or by having the school provide an official letter verifying these hours.

Please note that pharmacy schools are limited to verifying a maximum of 600 hours earned in non-pharmacy settings only. Your pharmacy school cannot verify your full 1500 intern hours.

The NY Board of Pharmacy does not provide official verifications for intern licenses. You will be required to print out the online verification from their website and attach it to your application. If you have a pharmacist license in the state of NY, however, you will be required to request official verification from the board.

We suggest submitting all of your documents and forms along with your application.

The California Board of Pharmacy"

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,
My friend who goes to California just informed me that intern hour requirements is gone per the new cali law.

"(d) An applicant for the examination who has graduated after January 1, 2016, from an ACPE accredited college of pharmacy or school of pharmacy recognized by the board shall be deemed to have satisfied the pharmacy practice experience requirements specified in subdivisions (a) and (b). "

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/laws_regs/new_laws.pdf

If anyone can verify that?

Hi guys,
My friend who goes to California just informed me that intern hour requirements is gone per the new cali law.

"(d) An applicant for the examination who has graduated after January 1, 2016, from an ACPE accredited college of pharmacy or school of pharmacy recognized by the board shall be deemed to have satisfied the pharmacy practice experience requirements specified in subdivisions (a) and (b). "

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/laws_regs/new_laws.pdf

If anyone can verify that?

I believeeeeeee so.

I graduated from NY pharmacy school last May and didn't work at all during school. However, I transferred only my APPE and IPPE hours to CA state and was accepted all and already a CA licensed pharmacist. Hope this help