another LOR question, esp for recovering lawyers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bumblebee611

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-

Anyone could jump in but I'm particularly curious if other recovering lawyers have any input on this one--I am a seriously older nontrad getting letters from a couple of work supervisors, both lawyers. They both very much want to help me but want to figure out how to translate what they know about my legal work into something that's useful for a med school adcom to read. In other words, they can't say, "she's really good at arguing motions," or "her pro bono contributions were outstanding;" they need to address the underlying skills and qualities and make them visible to the adcom. Any tips for the letter writers on this front?

Members don't see this ad.

I would have them use specific examples of your work as a way to express your leadership, intelligence, honesty, and commitment to service - as well as any other traits you want to sell.

Your pro bono contributions show your sense of volunteerism and commitment to service.

Your argument skills were developed with practice that exemplify your commitment to excellence.

Etc, etc etc.....

I would have them use specific examples of your work as a way to express your leadership, intelligence, honesty, and commitment to service - as well as any other traits you want to sell.

Your pro bono contributions show your sense of volunteerism and commitment to service.

Your argument skills were developed with practice that exemplify your commitment to excellence.

Etc, etc etc.....
Thanks for your thoughts! When we write it out like this it seems obvious but I was struck by the question coming from both of them and was hopeful that some other attorneys, especially, might have some thoughts that hadn't occurred to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully they will, I have seen quite a few lawyer to physician members recently.

Hi everyone-

Anyone could jump in but I'm particularly curious if other recovering lawyers have any input on this one--I am a seriously older nontrad getting letters from a couple of work supervisors, both lawyers. They both very much want to help me but want to figure out how to translate what they know about my legal work into something that's useful for a med school adcom to read. In other words, they can't say, "she's really good at arguing motions," or "her pro bono contributions were outstanding;" they need to address the underlying skills and qualities and make them visible to the adcom. Any tips for the letter writers on this front?

Check this site out, dude: https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf

Essentially you'll want to have your letter writers phrase your letters to address topics of importance to medical schools. I wrote rough drafts for a few of my letter writers, when appropriate, and had them modify it as desired. Worked out well.

Hi everyone-

While I haven't reached anywhere near this stage in my med-school journey, just speaking from general experience, I would think that anything that's gives specific examples of your having exceptional qualifications and then translating that into applicability to medical school would work. So statements along the following lines, "[Bumblebee611] was one of the most exceptionally competent attorneys that I have seen at our firm in some time; s/he handled [types of projects] in an extraordinarily and unusually efficient, meticulous, conscientious and professional manner, in a way that stood out from our usual roster of associates -- I have no doubt that her/his extraordinary abilities exhibited while working with us will translate well to the rigors of medical school, and will make her/him similarly exceptionally successful in that environment." That's a general idea of the sort of statements I think would work well. Obviously it will need to be based on your specific situation and experience and the actual skills and abilities you exhibited.

I don't disagree with anything written above. However make sure you aren't doing this kind of LOR instead of those they expect you to get from professors. They really do want the LORs they specify in the application, not those you have better access to or think can provide a better picture of you. To some extent a lot of the value of doing postbacs and showing recent success in science courses is precisely so you have someone you can hit up for a recommendation. I recall having both forms of LOR but I think the guys who knew me least and could only say "seemed interested, got an A in my class" actually were given a fair amount of weight in the process, because they were in a More closely related field.

I don't disagree with anything written above. However make sure you aren't doing this kind of LOR instead of those they expect you to get from professors. They really do want the LORs they specify in the application, not those you have better access to or think can provide a better picture of you. To some extent a lot of the value of doing postbacs and showing recent success in science courses is precisely so you have someone you can hit up for a recommendation. I recall having both forms of LOR but I think the guys who knew me least and could only say "seemed interested, got an A in my class" actually were given a fair amount of weight in the process, because they were in a More closely related field.
Thanks, Law2Doc. Don't worry, I am working on both so I will meet all the requirements for the letters I ought to have. I know I am going to be in a tough place with the necessarily not-so-personal letters from recent science course faculty, though.