Another MD/MBA Post - Waiting another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RhinB

PGY3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So I've already a lot about the topic from SDN and other sources. My basic dilemma is that I would really like to get into a MD/MBA program, but I know the MBA is only useful from top schools.

I also currently have a job in Healthcare Consulting that I'm going to be starting in Aug, which would add onto the possible acceptance to an MBA program after I start medical school at *hopefully* a top program to get the associated MBA at that top program.

Here's a basic run-down of my stats:
  • 3.6 sGPA and cGPA (relatively low for top tier I know, but I also come from a relatively tough school so it might weigh in a bit.)
  • 36 MCAT
  • Great experience running a business that generated over 100k/yr in revenue in college.
  • Started Alzheimer's organization that made a fairly large impact
  • over 400 hours of shadowing (from a summer program+others)
  • Started a mentoring organization on service dedicated to those without resources etc.
  • Volunteer at local dementia center, local free clinic
  • Research (3 years) + Publication
In summary, I'd say my Extracurrics are very good, (my W/A I think also to be around a 10/10 at this point). the only thing I'm lacking for top schools is a great GPA, which I can't do much about anymore. AND I need to make sure PS is amazing. Right now I think it's not (I'd give it a 6 or 7/10) so I want to take another gap year so I can have a higher chance of getting into a top program. I feel as though I can def into A medical school atm, but it feels like I'm giving up my big ambitious dream if I just apply this year.

I can't just wait to send in my PS because I'm "late" with accordance to my school's committee letter process. So at this point I have to apply in the next few days, or else my application to ALL medical schools will be affected by how late I apply. (My school's committee sends out their LOR up to 12 weeks after I submit AMCAS. So if I tried to rewrite my PS, it'd take AT LEAST 3 weeks to get where I want it to be).

My end-stage career goal is to run a hospital (ambitious I know). Ideally, along the way I'd go through administrative roles while also continuing to practice medicine and make an individual impact.

Should I wait another year to gather myself? Am I "giving up my ambitions" if I just apply this year? I think I'd be happy enough being simply a doctor, but I want to make an even larger impact by helping to mold the healthcare system itself.

Note* Also posting in the MD/MBA forum.

Members don't see this ad.

You are absolutely not giving up your ambitions by applying this year. I have met physicians who received their MBA's later in their career, as it is a common route to go by. Same goes with other combined degrees, MPH, PhD, etc.

Have you tried looking into programs that have MD/combined degrees that focus specifically on healthcare administration? Rush Medical College in Chicago has a Health Management degree you might be interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having any MD is going to give you a big leg up on getting into top MBA programs. You don't have to be stuck doing an MBA at your med school, either...away dual degrees are becoming more and more common. Apply now to med school and do MBA apps during your second year after you've had some stuff from med school to write on your MBA app. Unless you're at a super rural state school or really low-tier place, getting into a top MBA program isn't a problem with your app. You're overestimating how competitive MBA admissions are compared to MD. It's a whole different ball game.

Source: multiple MD/MBAs from Wharton (where I went) who did their MD at elsewhere. By elsewhere I'm talking places like RWJ, UF, SUNY, BU, but also lots of top schools as well.

Having any MD is going to give you a big leg up on getting into top MBA programs. You don't have to be stuck doing an MBA at your med school, either...away dual degrees are becoming more and more common. Apply now to med school and do MBA apps during your second year after you've had some stuff from med school to write on your MBA app. Unless you're at a super rural state school or really low-tier place, getting into a top MBA program isn't a problem with your app. You're overestimating how competitive MBA admissions are compared to MD. It's a whole different ball game.

Source: multiple MD/MBAs from Wharton (where I went) who did their MD at elsewhere. By elsewhere I'm talking places like RWJ, UF, SUNY, BU, but also lots of top schools as well.

What was your experience with the MDs who came to Penn to get their MBAs? Like their career trajectory - did they do MDs, then do residency, then do MBA for two years? Or was it MD, MBA then residency. Or was it a lot of night school things.

Thanks for the info - left me know!

What was your experience with the MDs who came to Penn to get their MBAs? Like their career trajectory - did they do MDs, then do residency, then do MBA for two years? Or was it MD, MBA then residency.
Basically, do not plan on coming out of residency and think about doing dual degrees then. Your life will be a lot different and much less flexible at that point. 90% of them did 2-3 years of med school (some schools require you to finish clerkships before going off to a dual degree, others don't) and squeezed in the MBA/MPH in the middle before going back for 3rd or 4th year and applying to residency. Get the dual degree done before residency if you already know you want another degree of some sort is what I've always been told, and it is the smart choice IMO. Also, doing it concurrently usually enables you to finish both MD/MBA in 5 years, saving a year of tuition. People who do it post-residency only realized the need for it afterwards. Don't put yourself behind purposefully when you already have somewhat of an idea right now.

Just man up and finish your PS quickly if you don't want to take another year off for random reasons. It's not that hard to write a one-page essay, even if it is reflective. Your PS honestly isn't likely to be the make or break on whether a top school takes you...and again, you don't need to be at a top MD school to get into a top MBA school. The rest of your app is damn good for MD. You need the activities and experience for MBA, though, so it's entirely different to argue that the one extra year of consulting may help more on the MBA front.

Bottom line: if you don't want to do an extra year of consulting, finish the PS ASAP; it won't matter that much. If you want to stay on consulting for an extra year, that works too; it'll help your MBA app a little bit.